Game 32: UMASS A10 Tourn Thursday March 10, 6:30pm NBCSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 32: UMASS A10 Tourn Thursday March 10, 6:30pm NBCSN

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote:.....and on to next year and the talk; we are good at that cause it seems we tend to that.....that's what we do.....

The offseason, when there are no games, has unfortunately become the best time of the year for Rhody fans. It is the time when inflated hype about the team raises expectations and makes everyone feel good. It sadly ends when play has begun.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Article above was inaccurate with regards to the other tournaments:
As for a different postseason alternative like the College Basketball Invitational and the College Insider Tournament – both of which have seen the Rams participate in the past – URI coach Dan Hurley reiterated his lack of interest during his postgame remarks.
While URI once played in the CBI, it has never participated in the CIT.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

bigappleram wrote:Four McGlynn on Jabari Hinds. WTF
I watch some A10, I certainly don"t watch every game
But it doesn't take John Wooden to know that Trey Davis was a better cover for Four. He shoots from his hip, and has zero game off the dribble.
I don't know who is doing the scouting.
That was a huge miss from the first second. Hinds got hot, got confident and carried a high school team to a double digit lead through the first 30 minutes.
We dont have the horses to play from behind.
Game over.
I am the #1 fan on the Dan Hurley bandwagon but please some people need to stop making excuses.
Real poor game plan tonight. Maybe DH is thinking about Piscataway.
We are much more talented than 17-15. Our team and our coach under delivered.
Agree with this - I was so confused why he was on Hinds but I assumed the staff knew something about Davis that I didn't. It's possible they wanted to give Garrett a rest on defense since they knew they'd need him for 35+ minutes? Besides that line of thinking, there's no way McGlynn should be on Hinds. And while we're on it, wow is Four a sub-par defender. Slow footed, not active, opens his hips to allow a clear driving lane, etc. His body language is consistently poor.

Looking forward to our younger guards stepping up next year. I like the raw skills on Thompson.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hard to believe that we blew this UMass team
out and held them to 12 first half points
just a week ago.
Earl Watson played a great game. He will be missed.
He stepped up, but nobody else did.
Taking Garrett out of the game by UMass, was
key, and something we've seen before.
Four had an abysmal shooting night. 5-16,
and got used on defense.
Iverson continues to be impressive on the
boards with 10 rebounds in only 24 minutes.
Four points among Thompson, Akele, and Berry.
Just not our night.
Fought hard to actually take the lead,
but UMass won the stretch.
On to next year.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Terrible first half, UMASS was on fire, have to say they played really well. Our guys didn't give up though, seemed like Hurley lit a fire under their asses in the final 10 minutes. Tough season, can't do much with the injuries we had. I hate when everyone says " all teams have injuries" well I think we get a pass for this season. Anyways, looking forward to next season to see the development in current players and the exciting freshman class. Thanks Earl and Four. Good luck with everyone's brackets and GO RHODY.
0 x
GO RAMS
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
"Why didn't you finish the marathon?"

"I broke my leg halfway through, and they took me to the hospital in an ambulance."

"Stop making excuses!"
That's very clever. I think people lump the dismal last month of injuries, depth issues with the first 3 months or so. If you think he did a great job getting to 11-8 (3-3) with JG, Terrell, Hass, Iverson, etc.....If you think that is a success...if you think that is maxing out talent, we can just agree to disagree.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Keaney.Blue wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Four McGlynn on Jabari Hinds. WTF
I watch some A10, I certainly don"t watch every game
But it doesn't take John Wooden to know that Trey Davis was a better cover for Four. He shoots from his hip, and has zero game off the dribble.
I don't know who is doing the scouting.
That was a huge miss from the first second. Hinds got hot, got confident and carried a high school team to a double digit lead through the first 30 minutes.
We dont have the horses to play from behind.
Game over.
I am the #1 fan on the Dan Hurley bandwagon but please some people need to stop making excuses.
Real poor game plan tonight. Maybe DH is thinking about Piscataway.
We are much more talented than 17-15. Our team and our coach under delivered.
Agree with this - I was so confused why he was on Hinds but I assumed the staff knew something about Davis that I didn't. It's possible they wanted to give Garrett a rest on defense since they knew they'd need him for 35+ minutes? Besides that line of thinking, there's no way McGlynn should be on Hinds. And while we're on it, wow is Four a sub-par defender. Slow footed, not active, opens his hips to allow a clear driving lane, etc. His body language is consistently poor.

Looking forward to our younger guards stepping up next year. I like the raw skills on Thompson.

4 was exposed on D again...enjoyed watching him on offense this year (most of the time), but he couldn't cover Hinds or Davis, so it didn't really matter - whoever he covered, they went to. That, and the fact that Holloway seems to have really worked on his offensive game - we've not really had anyone all year that could stop a big guy like that (Rhoomes, the Valpo guy...)...and it was all she wrote. Earl was unbelievable...was the guy that kept them in the game. I know he had a good rebounding game just a little while ago, but was this his best all around game all year?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
"Why didn't you finish the marathon?"

"I broke my leg halfway through, and they took me to the hospital in an ambulance."

"Stop making excuses!"
That's very clever. I think people lump the dismal last month of injuries, depth issues with the first 3 months or so. If you think he did a great job getting to 11-8 (3-3) with JG, Terrell, Hass, Iverson, etc.....If you think that is a success...if you think that is maxing out talent, we can just agree to disagree.
I don't know about that. The injuries to Jarvis and Hassan (and maybe even Iverson) started well before conference play. Also, I believe that with EC that 11-8/3-3 probably would have been closer to 16-3/5-1, or somewhere in that range. That would have been a successful season to that point, and it isn't the coaches faults EC got hurt.

What was successful about this season isn't the record, but the record was never going to matter once EC was injured. The success was in the emergence of the two young guards, Iverson getting his basketball legs back and seeing he can be a good player in the A10, the guys not going in the tank and playing just about everyone tough, up to and including the last game - which, to be fair, they should have probably won easily, but got down early instead. Since the game ultimately didn't matter, it wouldn't have been hard to imagine them just packing it in, but they fought anyways. That's who they are, and that matters more in this specific season than the result of any one game. It will serve them well when the roster is back to full strength and they are stacking their guts on top of legit talent rather than trying to get by on mostly guts.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Trump for president!
Last edited by steveystuds06 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Stevey...showing off your vocabulary and your class in your post, eh? That's really impressive that you can talk and type like that. Very articulate. Just wanted to let you know that your creative writing teacher would be so impressed...as am I.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

tRUMP University grad? LOL!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

bressler3south wrote:
ramster wrote:URI now up to 7.5, MGM Mirage has URI by 8
Yeah, mirage.....
This is the type of game that could go absolutely wrong from the get-go with tight whistles, poor outside shooting and a lack of cohesion/uncommon bickering from 1 or 2 guys, whose personalities melt.....
Also, is UMass the horrible team from last week or the team that beat VCU going to show up tonight or somewhat in-between?
I'm logged-on as Blue Man,

YOU'RE A DOUCHE-BAG, BRESSLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EFFIN' NEGATIVE, STUPID, CYNICAL, IGNORANT A-HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, logged on as Bressler.

I may be blind, Blue Man, but I call 'em as I see 'em......
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I was just venting didn't know I needed to have great vocabulary
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Stevey...showing off your vocabulary and your class in your post, eh? That's really impressive that you can talk and type like that. Very articulate. Just wanted to let you know that your creative writing teacher would be so impressed...as am I.
That was my main goal to impress you
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jasonmiller88
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by jasonmiller88 »

Cant wait till next year. Didnt think we would get into a lower tourney even though it would help our younger guys tremendously. Biggest thing for me is not having Jared and Terrell with the ball. They are reluctant passers at best. EC will be the guy and that in itself will help us especially at the end of games where Jarvis and Terrell cant get it done.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

JG a reluctant passer?

He has had issues late in games where he tries to do too much, yes.

Some of that is, others haven't been in position to be passed to. Maybe that's what you mean by reluctant?

EC had that same problem last season, with a worse handle than Jarvis has.

Jarvis and EC, if they work together, should be a dynamic pair both in transition and the half court.

Notice I said should. If so, that should help Terrell also.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Nothing bad can be said about Jarvis and Terrell. They are two sophomores, that were basically asked to shoulder the offensive burden for 30 straight games for about 35 minutes per night. They are not finished products because well, they are sophomores. The added experience and responsibility they carried this year due to ECs absence will reap benefits next year and beyond.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

BAR--I cannot agree with you more.
I do not believe how so many posters on this board do not understand how much the loss of EC meant to this team and this season. Not only did we lose the offense of EC, how much do you think we lost from his defense when compared to the defense of Four.
I really do not mean to pick on Four as he gave us everything he had this year but..............
0 x