How many more games would URI have won with EC all year?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

How many more wins if EC had played?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

17-14 - same
No votes
18-13 Plus 1
No votes
19-12 Plus 2
6%
20-11 Plus 3
6%
21-10 Plus 4
17%
22-9 Plus 5
23%
23-8 Plus 6
10%
24-7 Plus 7
13%
25-6 Plus 8
10%
26-5 Plus 9
10%
27-4 Plus 10
2%
28-3 Plus 11
No votes
More than 11
2%

Total votes: 48

ramster
Frank Keaney

How many more games would URI have won with EC all year?

Unread post by ramster »

Here are the 14 losses, dates played and scores.
This assumes EC plays healthy in all 31 games. Disregard any injuries to any other players this year - only consider a healthy EC on this years team.

November
Tue. 17 Valparaiso L, 58-55
Wed. 25 vs. Maryland L, 86-63
December
Sat. 5 Providence L, 74-72
Sun. 13 at Nebraska L, 70-67
Tue. 22 at Old Dominion L, 71-65
January
Sun. 10 at Saint Joseph's L, 72-67
Wed. 13 at St. Bonaventure L, 69-64
Fri. 22 at George Washington L, 62-58
Sat. 30 Saint Joseph's L, 64-55
February
Tue. 2 at Massachusetts L, 61-56 - OT
Fri. 12 Dayton L, 68-66
Tue. 16 at VCU L 83-67
Tue. 23 at Davidson L, 65-54
March
Sat. 5 at Fordham L, 64-61
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: How many more games would URI have won with EC all year?

Unread post by TruePoint »

The only games I know they'd have lost with EC are Maryland, St. Joe's at home, Davidson and VCU. I don't know we'd have definitely won the other 10, but we certainly could have any of them and probably would have won most of them.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think, if they had EC and Jordan ...they'd have won 'em all...average score 85 to 32.
But, if they also had Dit-ka...then, "116 to negative 7"

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... ans/n10094
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There's already a few dreamers in this poll.......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:There's already a few dreamers in this poll.......
I see two: whoever said 11+ and whoever said 19-12. I honestly think 20-11 is pretty absurd, also, but I get that is the kind of fans we have. Not all that knowledgeable and pretty negative.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We would absolutely be a bubble team or better if ec played all year and if hass didn't have his problems.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:We would absolutely be a bubble team or better if ec played all year and if hass didn't have his problems.
and KI and JG and CT didn't have theirs....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I didn't vote because we'd obviously have lost MORE games with EC due to poor coaching and inability to win the close ones. We're doomed next year. Hurley better start looking for middle school phys-ed openings...
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Juvenile stuff from our mods.

Awesome. That's the kind of mods we have. Not you MG, though.

Anyone who doesn't agree with them is a moron. Got it.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

..... I chose two.....in the ebb and flow of the season long slog to finish, to suggest that EC's play would have been much more of a difference maker is just not the case and making him out to be a more talented and a dominant player. If it were the case should pass Go, leave Rhody now, and collect his NBA money...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I just don't understand the thinking of some of our people. Nobody can say for certain what kind of season EC would have had, so this is all hypothetical. But it is just as likely as any other scenario that he would have averaged ~20ppg, been the A10 POY and set himself up to go in the top 20 picks in June. If that is the season he had, we damn well may have won all 10 of the games that we lost by two possessions or less. That isn't a stretch at all. And even if he didn't have THAT good of a season, you're still talking about a first team all-conference player being put back onto a team that managed to be pretty damn competitive most nights even without him.

I think saying that would have made the difference of only a couple games (considering how those games were played and how closely contested they were even without EC) is minimizing the guy's talent and impact, and it is hard for me to understand how anyone that really understands the game could do that. I think it shows either a lack of knowledge or an insistence on maintaining a whining, woe-is-us attitude. There is a streak of clinical-level pessimism running through our fan base, and it impacts people's ability to have reasonable opinions. The best is they think it is "being realistic" - being negative all the time isn't realism, and it isn't a healthy way to go through life.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:I just don't understand the thinking of some of our people. Nobody can say for certain what kind of season EC would have had, so this is all hypothetical. But it is just as likely as any other scenario that he would have averaged ~20ppg, been the A10 POY and set himself up to go in the top 20 picks in June. If that is the season he had, we damn well may have won all 10 of the games that we lost by two possessions or less. That isn't a stretch at all. And even if he didn't have THAT good of a season, you're still talking about a first team all-conference player being put back onto a team that managed to be pretty damn competitive most nights even without him.

I think saying that would have made the difference of only a couple games (considering how those games were played and how closely contested they were even without EC) is minimizing the guy's talent and impact, and it is hard for me to understand how anyone that really understands the game could do that. I think it shows either a lack of knowledge or an insistence on maintaining a whining, woe-is-us attitude. There is a streak of clinical-level pessimism running through our fan base, and it impacts people's ability to have reasonable opinions. The best is they think it is "being realistic" - being negative all the time isn't realism, and it isn't a healthy way to go through life.
Cheers to that....but, to say there is a streak of clinical-level pessimism running through our fan base is like Noah saying, "looks like we might get a little rain."
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, you must be wrong.

You don't agree with TP or ATP.

2 guys in their 30's that think they know more about URI BB than those of us who have been following the game religiously for 40-50 years.

Their opinion must be right, it's THEIR opinion.

They would make good running mates for Trump.

Having EC would make Dan a great end of game coach according to them. All would be well, we would be 12-0 in close games with him on the court.

We would also have great frontcourt depth, how I don't know, but that doesn't matter to them.

I'm not the moron they think I am. I know that having EC would change some things for the better, but he's not the Second Coming like they think he is.

I don't insult people because their opinions are different than mine. I may disagree with them, but that's the mature thing to do, unlike some others.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You may not be a moron, but you are struggling with the idea that you don't have to fix every single flaw a team has in order to improve their record when they lose 10 games by two possessions or less. In those games, you're talking about one possession on each side of the floor where you would have needed a better result to win the game. If your best player is not worth one possession per game on each end of the court per game, then what is the point of even recruiting? Just go grab 12 guys off the quad or out of Mackal and let them go at it. Talent matters. The team could be the exact same in every single respect - size, shooting ability, coaching, etc., if you win two more possessions in those games you win those games, whether you fix any of the other issues or not.

Math.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:105, you must be wrong.

2 guys in their 30's that think they know more about URI BB than those of us who have been following the game religiously for 40-50 years.

Having EC would make Dan a great end of game coach according to them. All would be well, we would be 12-0 in close games with him on the court.

We would also have great frontcourt depth, how I don't know, but that doesn't matter to them.

I'm not the moron they think I am. I know that having EC would change some things for the better, but he's not the Second Coming like they think he is.

I don't insult people because their opinions are different than mine. I may disagree with them, but that's the mature thing to do, unlike some others.
Hmm...could it be that 30-40 years of following anything (that's not a religion) religiously might make some think they know much more than others....? Like...people that remember when there was no such thing as an ATM...must automatically know more about finance than people that don't.... :lol: :lol:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I guess coming from TP [You "may" not be a moron] is a compliment. :P

Hell, even I voted for 4 more wins..........

Like I told 208, we'll see if having everyone back makes a difference next season.

It will, imo, be a referendum on whether or not Dan has improved his late game decision making.

You can have all the talent in the world, but the coach either gets that talent to perform at their best, or falls short.

That to me, is the most important thing going forward.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

November
Tue. 17 Valparaiso W
Wed. 25 vs. Maryland L, 86-63
December
Sat. 5 Providence W
Sun. 13 at Nebraska W
Tue. 22 at Old Dominion L, 71-65
January
Sun. 10 at Saint Joseph's W
Wed. 13 at St. Bonaventure W
Fri. 22 at George Washington W
Sat. 30 Saint Joseph's L, 64-55
February
Tue. 2 at Massachusetts W
Fri. 12 Dayton W
Tue. 16 at VCU L 83-67
Tue. 23 at Davidson L, 65-54
March
Sat. 5 at Fordham W

We are easily +9 with EC. 26-5. A lot of those injuries probably don't happen because other players aren't being overly taxed, aren't in the same positions, aren't facing more pressure late in games because they're probably put away.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

It's all speculation. Totally subjective. I don't see the need to question people's knowledge because their opinions are different.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:It's all speculation. Totally subjective. I don't see the need to question people's knowledge because their opinions are different.
OK, my opinion is that the moon is made of cream cheese and Gigli is an example of terrific film making.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha, an entire post insulting two people, ending with "I don't insult people because their opinions are different than mine." Classic stuff right here.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I've agreed with you more than I did a few months ago bone, but WTF does age have to do with it? That ageism is as closed-minded if not more so than you are accusing ATP/TP of being because they have been fed up with the rampant pessimism. I guess you know more about the team than Hurley because you've got 20 years on him...
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Now I remember why I hadn't read this board in the last month. Hopefully I'll see y'all in Brooklyn!
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

How old do I have to be to finally be allowed to have an opinion? I'm 35 and have been following URI basketball as a die hard fan for 18 years. Is that long enough yet? Is there a certificate that comes in the mail or something so I'll know when I am allowed to have an independent thought?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Adam, your opinions will be pro rated in line with your consecutive years supporting the program.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Adam, your opinions will be pro rated in line with your consecutive years supporting the program.
Oh great, I better make sure all my paperwork is in order!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Adam, your opinions will be pro rated in line with your consecutive years supporting the program.
I checked out during the last of the Baron years, how is that handled? Do I have to start over or what?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This thread is awesome ha ha it's wicked pissah!

Kinda reminds me of Curt Shilling pissed about somebody saying Pedro didn't like him...

"That's just stupid stuff from people who never played the game"
(Pedro wasn't your buddy )

It's become the classic Kearney Blue tough guy line too....

News flash many of us did play and coach the game including some of our 30 year old members.
Oh I voted 24-7 and I did play (and coach) the game. I also read Dean Smith's book and saw Hoosiers.

So there!

Ps - Basketball ain't rocket science either.

Carry on!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm 28 I played competitively me entire life and now I coach. My brother didn't play once or coach and he understands the game just as well as I do. Not playing basketball doesn't mean you can't be a intelligent fan and know the game.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I won several national championships playing college basketball games on Playstation. Several. Kiss the rings.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I've watched the 1998 Kansas win a few dozen times on DVD as well as the 1988 win vs Syracuse. Big basketball reputation points for that!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I won several national championships playing college basketball games on Playstation. Several. Kiss the rings.
It really sucks they stopped making college basketball games.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

steveystuds06 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I won several national championships playing college basketball games on Playstation. Several. Kiss the rings.
It really sucks they stopped making college basketball games.
Ugh, I miss it too. Great fun building dynasties.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

TruePoint wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:It's all speculation. Totally subjective. I don't see the need to question people's knowledge because their opinions are different.
OK, my opinion is that the moon is made of cream cheese and Gigli is an example of terrific film making.
Good response. But, I still respect your opinion.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:This thread is awesome ha ha it's wicked pissah!

Kinda reminds me of Curt Shilling pissed about somebody saying Pedro didn't like him...

"That's just stupid stuff from people who never played the game"
(Pedro wasn't your buddy )

It's become the classic Kearney Blue tough guy line too....

News flash many of us did play and coach the game including some of our 30 year old members.
Oh I voted 24-7 and I did play (and coach) the game. I also read Dean Smith's book and saw Hoosiers.

So there!

Ps - Basketball ain't rocket science either.

Carry on!
Well, if we're flouting basketball resumes...not only have I seen Hoosiers, but also read Feinstein's book A March to Madness. Also, I have seen Semi-Pro 2-3 times and White Men Can't Jump at least 5 times. I'm wondering now if I might not be overqualified?
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

All but three were very winnable. And then I'll say about three more out of the rest, so let's say 6 losses.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Out of 44 votes cast so far, 73% think URI would have won at least five more games. Using that as a baseline, I plugged that record into RPI Wizard (wins vs. Valpo, Providence, @GW, @UMass and @Fordham) and we came out with a 38 RPI.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Add Nebraska, ODU and St Bona and where would we be TP?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:How old do I have to be to finally be allowed to have an opinion? I'm 35 and have been following URI basketball as a die hard fan for 18 years. Is that long enough yet? Is there a certificate that comes in the mail or something so I'll know when I am allowed to have an independent thought?
Do you want me to put a Poll together for this question too?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
I checked out during the last of the Baron years, how is that handled? Do I have to start over or what?
No there is a formula for that .
For every year you were checked in during the Barren years you get -1 so if you followed 8 years of Barren you would be -8.
But for checking out early you get +3 for each year so checking out 3 years you get a bonus 9 :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:Add Nebraska, ODU and St Bona and where would we be TP?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:
adam914 wrote:How old do I have to be to finally be allowed to have an opinion? I'm 35 and have been following URI basketball as a die hard fan for 18 years. Is that long enough yet? Is there a certificate that comes in the mail or something so I'll know when I am allowed to have an independent thought?
Do you want me to put a Poll together for this question too?
Haha, yes please!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Add Nebraska, ODU and St Bona and where would we be TP?
That's how close we were to a great season......

(sigh)
Last edited by hrstrat57 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As of right now, the largest number of votes are in the 4 or 5 more wins category.

I think more than a few here agree with me......

4 or 5 more wins would have made us a bubble team.

8 or 9 more wins, which a total of 10 people have, would have made us a 4 or 5 seed. Sorry, with our lack of frontcourt depth, that's preposterous.

Just a few wins difference is a big difference, isn't it?

Anyway, let's hope this is the last poll like this we ever run.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 8 or 9 more wins, which a total of 10 people have, would have made us a 4 or 5 seed. Sorry, with our lack of frontcourt depth, that's preposterous.
You keep saying this. I've been telling you why this is wrong for three months. You never acknowledge or try to refute my argument. And you wonder why I express frustration when I get involved in these discussions.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
rambone 78 wrote: 8 or 9 more wins, which a total of 10 people have, would have made us a 4 or 5 seed. Sorry, with our lack of frontcourt depth, that's preposterous.
You keep saying this. I've been telling you why this is wrong for three months. You never acknowledge or try to refute my argument. And you wonder why I express frustration when I get involved in these discussions.
Probly 'cause it's easier to tell you how to do your job...plus, what could you possibly know? I mean, it's not like you saw Fred Conley or Chet Jaworski play here like he did. Have you see Hoosiers even?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I've actually explained why many times, but I don't feel the need to tell in 1,000,000 words like you do.

Late game coaching strategy has been an issue. Our frontcourt lacks depth, with our big guys in constant foul trouble.

We don't make shots at the end of games. We give up too many open shots at the end of games.

Having EC would not solve all those issues. Was he our late game savior his first 2 seasons here? Nope.

I don't need to get into why all these things happen too often. They happen, and that's the bottom line.

Yes, we would have won a few more games, due to the fact that we probably would have had a bigger lead and hung on more often.

But a lot of games come down to the last couple of possessions. And that's where we've failed on way too many occasions.

Anyway, I have my opinion, and you have yours, And 208, butt out with your condescending remarks.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I've actually explained why many times, but I don't feel the need to tell in 1,000,000 words like you do.

Late game coaching strategy has been an issue. Our frontcourt lacks depth, with our big guys in constant foul trouble.

We don't make shots at the end of games. We give up too many open shots at the end of games.

Having EC would not solve all those issues. Was he our late game savior his first 2 seasons here? Nope.

I don't need to get into why all these things happen too often. They happen, and that's the bottom line.

Yes, we would have won a few more games, due to the fact that we probably would have had a bigger lead and hung on more often.

But a lot of games come down to the last couple of possessions. And that's where we've failed on way too many occasions.

Anyway, I have my opinion, and you have yours, And 208, butt out with your condescending remarks.

Awwww, c'mon...lighten up. You clearly have an age bias (like tenure almost)...was just havin' a little fun with it ;)
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

You also have to put into account that had EC not gone down the team would not have gone through that shell shock that set the tone at the beginning of the season. Making a confident determined team coming out of the offseason into the Sargent peppers lonely hearts club band.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, after we bow out in NY, some of you guys will be really happy to know that I will disappear for the summer except for occasional recruiting discussions. Actually I usually do anyway.

I'd had enough of getting shit on because my opinions don't match some others, and of course are worthless because of same.

There's enough posters here that agree with what I have to say, but I think some of them have been run off due to the holier than thou attitude of a few. And the few of you know who you are.

Next year will be truly put up or shut up time. Not just for Dan and the team, but some on here, as well.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I've actually explained why many times, but I don't feel the need to tell in 1,000,000 words like you do.

EC playing would not have addressed any of the things you brought up. Those things also don't matter to my argument. Without EC, all those things didn't prevent them from playing 10 teams to two possessions. EC wouldn't have to change any of the things you highlighted, he'd only have to flip two possessions per game. All those things would still be issues. They just wouldn't matter as much. Maybe we'd be discussing them as reasons we didn't think we would be a sweet 16 team.
0 x