State of the Program

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

State of the Program

Unread post by TruePoint »

Follow the link for Dan Hurley and Chris DiSano discussing the state of the URI basketball program:

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/the-past ... dan-hurley
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: State of the Program

Unread post by bigappleram »

great interview, couldn't ask for a better person to lead this program. Any purported "knock" on Dan is addressed, mostly head-on, in this candid conversation.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Pretty much covers everything, except not much in the way of fixing the late game issues.

If anything, Dan hints that guys like Terrell, Jarvis, and EC [future] have to step up their game down the stretch of games...and they should as long as everyone is healthy.

Also DH kind of infers that Dowtin might be that type of closer down the road, as in making the plays in crunch time.

I do like that EC has been working on his "mental game" this season, again as in making better decisions under pressure than he did a lot of times last season.

Dan was actually a little tough on Hassan when he said he has to drop 10 pounds or so, get quicker, and become a better passer so he can play the 4 next to the bigs next season.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I might be stupid, but I think I'm looking forward to next season even more than I was for this season.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think he gave a fair assessment of the incoming bigs and their assets without over stating their impacts for next year......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy, the hype preceding this season was a little fragile to begin with, what with the lack of frontcourt depth and the unknowns with the freshmen.

If everyone had stayed healthy, and that includes EC, I think we would have been at best a bubble team.

Now next season, there's much more depth and overall talent than this year.

So any hype for next season should be a little more justified.

But we'll see.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rambone, you keep mentioning Dowtin in talking about next season. While I think he is an intriguing prospect given his length, outside shooting and high bball IQ I would be shocked if he is getting more than 5-10 mpg next season. Jarvis, Jared, EC, Christion, Stan....he has a lot to leap over. Akele will likely get minutes at the 3, along with Kuran. The bigs can push to Hassan to his natural 4 spot at times....I just dont see a ton of action for a FR guard on our team next year regardless how good he is.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Although I have been very guarded against any, self imposed, lofty expectations for next season, maybe we will have some those nice problems to have....legit depth.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think that the defense of Tertsea will definitely help....if he can defend the post, rebound and get some put-backs....that's what we need from him....add Laysard and a better conditioned Berry to the middle and we have something....our points can come from the small forwards and guards on the team.....I consider EC and Stan Robinson to be small forwards along with Nicola....

...of course this is posited without ever seeing Tertsea, Laysard, Langevine and Dowtin play.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well from all accounts, Dowtin seems to be a clutch player.

That's what we need. Some guys have "it" and some don't, no matter what.

Of course, translating his success to another level isn't a given.

I agree though. He won't play a lot next season, unless he's REALLY good.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I might be stupid, but I think I'm looking forward to next season even more than I was for this season.
I don't think you're stupid...but each new team/season is like a box of chocolates...never know what you're going to get until the games start. I keep reading the next year hype, but still think, a good contest will be to name the scholarship players available when conference play starts next year...THAT will be the key...and seems like a tough one to peg.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Rambone--it will be a lot easier to "step up your game" down the stretch of games (a/k/a crunch time) if you have been rested a little during the game and have not had to play 32 minutes of the first 35 minutes of the game. This is more true if the opponent has been pressing us at all like Fordham did. Here's hoping the quality of our depth next year is sufficient enough so that our starters (especially the guards) do not exceed about 32 minutes a game.
Of course the Fordham game was extreme in that it was a mere 41 hours after the Mass game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agreed, but also we need someone to emerge as our go-to guy at the end of games.

All really good teams have at least one, some even 2 or more.

Yes they are usually great talents, but some are also late bloomers who don't assert themselves until they are upperclassmen.

That's what we have to hope we have with either Jarvis, EC, Terrell or even Dowtin later.

Maybe it's too much to ask to have a Kemba Walker or Bryce Cotton or someone like that.

But it sure would be nice to have someone even close to them.......even PC has Dunn and now Bentil who have won multiple games for them late.

We need someone who wants the ball when the game is on the line, and usually does something good with it....
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

208 I don't get why you think next year is a big question mark about who's going to be on the roster..
Hurley said in the podcast this is going to be our deepest team this program has had in a long time....If we were still rebuilding i'd get it, but our pieces are in place... Who is going to be gone out of Garrett Terrell EC Hass Iverson Akele CT Robinson Berry Cyril Big Mike Tertsea Dowtin? I was possibly thinking Berry may be gone, but clearly that's not happening after how much he's improved... Maybe I'm wrong but if we did a contest I think most people would list the guys I did..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Agreed, but also we need someone to emerge as our go-to guy at the end of games.

All really good teams have at least one, some even 2 or more.

Yes they are usually great talents, but some are also late bloomers who don't assert themselves until they are upperclassmen.

That's what we have to hope we have with either Jarvis, EC, Terrell or even Dowtin later.

Maybe it's too much to ask to have a Kemba Walker or Bryce Cotton or someone like that.

But it sure would be nice to have someone even close to them.......even PC has Dunn and now Bentil who have won multiple games for them late.

We need someone who wants the ball when the game is on the line, and usually does something good with it....
I think EC will be our finisher.. Having a year studying the game and especially the A10 is really going to improve his IQ..I also wouldn't be surprised if Garrett became that guy.. He gets better and better.. It's just going to be so awesome having those two on the floor together again!!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

studs, I think 208 is just being negative.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:studs, I think 208 is just being negative.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hahaha
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....I thinks DH said, in the Disano interview, the roster next year will be the most "talented" in a long time at URI....not sure if words matter anymore....Let's go to the audio tape, as Warner Wolf would say....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The fourth "real" recruiting class is when the roster should be the deepest and most talented, and I expect that we see that.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

It's definitely the most talented. I didn't get a chance to listen but a little bit discouraged by the players just have to execute better thought. It's been four years and definitely multiple guards. Everything should be on the table. Including scheme, especially end game sets. It's months away but I am really interested in how the minutes shake out next year. If Hass is really moving to PF (and I think he should for multiple reasons), you are looking at 120 minutes for Garrett, EC, Kuran, Terrell, Stanford, Thompson, and Dowtin. A nice problem to have, for sure. And, really, 30 minutes+ are probably going to JG at PG.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The best thing I heard Dan mention was
getting Hassan slimmer, and work on other facets of
his game, so he can play with another big man.
Something I've wanted to see for years.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, GBG, we'll have much more depth, so we'll see if that changes things when it comes to end of game strategies.

If we see more of the same as this year, it won't much matter who's playing, the results won't be very different.

All teams, no matter how good, have at least a few games that come down to the very end, and one play made or not makes the difference.

And in our case, if we don't have that one great player who can will his team to win the close ones, poor decision making on both the court and the bench will cost us games.

We're not the UConn women. They almost never have a close game.

Improvement has to come from the entire group, not just the players. We'll see.

How hopeful am I that this will happen? Very, but hopeful doesn't mean very confident either.

I do think we'll win a higher percentage of close games, and even some against better teams. But it's how many we LOSE that will make or break the season.

We have to win at least 2/3 of our close games, imo, if we want to be considered an NCAA tourney team.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I assume the starting lineup will be EC, Jarvis, Jared, Kuran and Hass. That still puts Hass at the 5. Yes, when a big comes off the bench, he could slide to the 4. But, I still see the majority of Hass' minutes coming at the 5.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

At the beginning of the season, yes.

Hopefully one of the bigs can take over soon though....

This will also allow KI to play his natural 3, which should be a matchup nightmare for our opponents.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:At the beginning of the season, yes.

Hopefully one of the bigs can take over soon though....

This will also allow KI to play his natural 3, which should be a matchup nightmare for our opponents.
So, you're saying a big will eventually start with Hass at the 4 and Kuran at the 3. So, of Jarvis, EC and Jared, who loses his starting position?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's the 64 dollar question, Billyboy.

Jarvis has to start. Best handle on the team, we've seen how our offense goes dead in the water when he's not in there.

Terrell and EC will share the 2, with EC at the point when JG needs a rest.

They will all get their 25-30 or so minutes. I could even see EC or Terrell at the 3 for short stretches.

Early in the season, I would think EC's minutes will be somewhat limited, until Dan sees where his progress is.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dan never said Hassan would START with another big, all he said was PLAY. I highly doubt the starting lineup will be changed next year.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Holy hell, this is going to be a long off-season, for so many reasons.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ace, at least we have something to look forward to.

Hey, Dan just stepped in it big time, when he just said we have our most talented team since he's been here. We're going to hold him to it!

I also think DH will land a couple 2017's this fall. That's what the board should be focused on after this season ends.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....I had thought a few days ago about opening a thread for the starting five for next season.....but thought it was better not to.....but, now that these comments on it have appeared, here goes. I will be disappointed if one of the new bigs doesn't start so that HM can play his more natural position. I realize the bigs are first year players to the program and to this level of play. However, if one of them doesn't emerge early in camp to earn a starting position I will be disappointed. This comes from my strong desire to play with a five, and fill in the rest......who sits to make room for the five.....JT......I think KI has to start......We will see I guess....the best of the bigs has got to start until he shows that he shouldn't...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

To me, this season felt like the 2003 Red Sox. So much hope and expectation dashed in one moment. I feel like the 2016-17 Rams will be the 2004 Red Sox in which the potential is realized and our curse is broken.

...and if they don't make it to the dance next year, Hurley is going to really start to get scrutinized.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Start?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wow...you mean the 'life as we know it will never ever be the same again' 2004 Red Sox???
I'll sign up for an extra helping of that, please!

And, really...."start"? That's a good one :lol:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If you're an old timer URI fan, it sure seems like 86 years since we won anything......

DH has had his share of criticism this year. How much of it is justified, is open to debate.

Next year, like was said, said criticism will reach a whole 'nother level, if we falter again.

And unless we have another barrage of injuries, it will be justified.

Remember, this season we were in a lot of games down to the wire against good teams, and lost them all.

We should have won some of them, no matter who or who wasn't playing.

Next year, we have to win MOST of them if promise is to be finally realized.

I'm not convinced we can. It hasn't happened in DH's 4 years here, at all.

Dan keeps talking about changing the culture here. Well, if we finally start winning close games, that's a big culture change right there.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The chirp about "end of game" is so unfounded...was Four's wide open 3 to tie the Fordham game not open enough for you? How about the one he missed against Valpo, again wide open out of a dead ball. Or Hassan's shot from 3 feet vs Dayton at home where he got the hoop and foul. Or Terrell vs Davidson last season, again wide open, but he missed.

Watch all of the end of game plays (last 10 seconds) in a college basketball season -- categorize them as either a great play by a playmaker versus genius play call. I would venture to guess 75% of the game winning shots are the result of a player making a play (real time decision), versus a schemed call resulting in a wide open shot. What was big Ed's final play call versus us, give it to Kris Dunn put your head down and go to the rim? Seemed to work out well. End of game situations rely upon good decision making on the floor and usually your star player making a star play.

Dan needs to work on situational coaching adjustments, but this isn't the area of concern for me. Defensive adjustments, deviating from the overall script, how to use unique lineup pairings to change pace...those are areas I would like to see more development from him.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you look at how Wade has managed his roster at VCU this year, that's kind of what I expect to see next year. Ten guys average double digit minutes, but the game by game minutes vary, fairly significantly for some guys, depending on match-ups and approach.
Last edited by ace 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, you make a ton of sense. We have had our chances at the very end of some games.

But what I'm getting at, is playing prevent offense with a lead late in games.

It's not just the last few seconds of a game, it's the last few minutes.

In most of those games we lost, we had a decent lead with a few to go, or at least it was no more than a one or two possession game. We never seem to win those, except against teams clearly not as good as us.

We seem to lose our aggressiveness. We are always looking at the bench for plays.

It's the "playing not to lose" mentality, which I really think comes from the coach.

Let the guys do what got them there, not crawl into a shell. That also exposes our defense, which also has had a knack for giving up wide open looks at the end of games. Dan has to get better at offense/defense substitutions, which I admit his options were somewhat limited this season due to injuries.

Four playing defense in the last couple of minutes of a tight game usually led to disaster......

When it comes to our opponents, they never seem to miss. We've got to find someone who can make.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Great. So now we are trying to exemplify the new asst to head coach at VCU. Classic.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote:Great. So now we are trying to exemplify the new asst to head coach at VCU. Classic.
Are you trying to be obtuse? They're not trying to exemplify anything, and the response was to the end of the comment above it from bar. It's how Hurley prefers to manage a full roster, shown most recently by him his second year at Wagner. VCU is a recent, successful, and relevant example of that.
Last edited by ace 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

When I say Hurley will start to get scrutinized I meant outside this board.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:That's the 64 dollar question, Billyboy.

Jarvis has to start. Best handle on the team, we've seen how our offense goes dead in the water when he's not in there.

Terrell and EC will share the 2, with EC at the point when JG needs a rest.

They will all get their 25-30 or so minutes. I could even see EC or Terrell at the 3 for short stretches.

Early in the season, I would think EC's minutes will be somewhat limited, until Dan sees where his progress is.

Mathews, Terrell and Garrett started last year along with Biruta and Martin.
So now you are saying EC will be coming off the Bench?
EC played the 3 last year and this year, why wouldn't he play the 3 next year?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sorry STC. But I look at coaches like Tim Cluess and see what he is doing. Coaches like Cooley and what he has done. These are coaches 5 years into their contract and have been to the NCAAT multiple times. Maybe Dan has a bent penny in his pocket. I don't know. I'm not gunning for the guy, but the hire was made to get us to the NCAAT. Next year is year 5. And we have seen 4 years of mediocre basketball. Following 13.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

blueram, in fairness to Dan, he's had one thing after another happen to the roster every year he's been here.

Of course that's part of the whole package.

But the disturbing trend of losing close games continues. That's what has me concerned going forward.

DH's record in close games against good opponents is abysmal.

If that doesn't change in a big way next season, the hounds will be after him.

He's got 2 years to change the entire culture of losing big games imo.

And I'll bet he feels some pressure. At some point, the excuses have to stop one way or the other.

There's no longer any room for them at the table. It's time to win. In 2016-17. Not later.

He's made some BIG promises. And URI has rewarded him, expecting big things.

Their patience is being tried, no matter what happy faces and talk we see on the surface.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:blueram, in fairness to Dan, he's had one thing after another happen to the roster every year he's been here.

Of course that's part of the whole package.

But the disturbing trend of losing close games continues. That's what has me concerned going forward.

DH's record in close games against good opponents is abysmal.

If that doesn't change in a big way next season, the hounds will be after him.

He's got 2 years to change the entire culture of losing big games imo.

And I'll bet he feels some pressure. At some point, the excuses have to stop one way or the other.

There's no longer any room for them at the table. It's time to win. In 2016-17. Not later.

He's made some BIG promises. And URI has rewarded him, expecting big things.

Their patience is being tried, no matter what happy faces and talk we see on the surface.
Do you really...honestly...think that anyone in a position of relevance (i.e., one that could have major influence on 'should DH stay or should DH go') is looking at this season...and everything that has happened... as anything other than a success? That....he 'needs to win the close ones next year that he lost this year', "or else"? (Maybe it is, I don't really know...but I doubt it) Seriously, who, exactly, are these 'hounds'? It seems clear that you 'wish' it to be the case that the (proverbial) hounds are after him, but is it?

Seems there's got to be some middle ground between, "just like I said: he changed his ways for the better, and they finally won a lot more" and "just like I said: he didn't change and now he's been rightfully shown the door." Maybe?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, it's not like he's going to be fired if he flops next season.

It's not that cut and dried.

There will, however, be mounting criticism and scrutiny if we don't Dance with the lineup we're supposed to have next season.

Dan himself has set the stage by saying that next year's team will be the deepest and most talented team he's had here.

Like others have said, this will be year 5. Did anyone on this board [or the projo board at the time] 4 years ago, think that we would have one NIT and no NCAA's at this point?

Of course nothing is certain. But college or not, this is a performance driven sport involving big money.

If Dan doesn't get us to the Dance within a couple years or so, he's going to take the fall. Sure it sounds harsh, but that's life.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:208, it's not like he's going to be fired if he flops next season.

It's not that cut and dried.

There will, however, be mounting criticism and scrutiny if we don't Dance with the lineup we're supposed to have next season.

Dan himself has set the stage by saying that next year's team will be the deepest and most talented team he's had here.

Like others have said, this will be year 5. Did anyone on this board [or the projo board at the time] 4 years ago, think that we would have one NIT and no NCAA's at this point?

Of course nothing is certain. But college or not, this is a performance driven sport involving big money.

If Dan doesn't get us to the Dance within a couple years or so, he's going to take the fall. Sure it sounds harsh, but that's life.

==> Do you really...honestly...think that anyone in a position of relevance (i.e., one that could have major influence on 'should DH stay or should DH go') is looking at this season...and everything that has happened... as anything other than a success?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan gets a pass for this season, OK?

But I'm sure there is some concern about the close game issues, injuries or not.

Dan can put that all to rest next season.

Or not.

We'll have to wait and see, and I'm done talking about it for a while.

Points have been made and driven into the ground on all sides. Enough.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Years are unique.
This year = a success...last year = a success.
Talk about "next year better ____ or else" = silly.

OK, now enough.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The good news is...I don't care so much for the recruiting, off-season, or projection stuff...
Will be so wrapped up in baseball and basketball and hockey playoffs (and by the way...of the pro sports, does it get much better than playoff hockey??), y'all probly won't have to deal with me much after the last game. ;)

But...until then...CHEERS! and GO RHODY!!
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Years are unique.
This year = a success...last year = a success.
Talk about "next year better ____ or else" = silly.

OK, now enough.
This year lies somewhere between disaster and gets a pass due to circumstance. Success? Get outta here.
0 x