A-10s - Brooklyn

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

A-10s - Brooklyn

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Here we go. I wouldnt exactly give us a very good chance of winning this thing but we have all seen stranger things happen.
IF we beat UMass, VCU game 2 is going to be very difficult but if we somehow get past them I think Bonnies is the best matchup for us of the top 4.

Setting expectations low, would be nice to see us win 2 games and have a chance at the NIT, if we go on some sort of crazy run I hope to see some of you in Brooklyn on Sunday.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: A-10s - Brooklyn

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Anyone can beat anyone in the A10....one game at a time....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Crazier things have happened and (just in case) I plan to be there to see it firsthand. GO RHODY!!!!

I think "winning 2" would mean 'crazy run'...if they beat VCU, they'll win the whole thing... but that is a mega-huge 'if'....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe the entire VCU team will come down with the flu.

Nothing serious mind you, just a 24 hour bug on Friday...... ;)

I think some of our guys had it against Fordham...I swear I've never seen so many injuries and the like affect a team, especially at the wrong times......
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

VCU won't need the flu. The just need to forget how to press. <insert fingers crossed emoji>
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Let's focus on beating Umass first
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Good point 06. One game at a time. You only have to win the game in front of you.
The thinking has to be that you only have to win one game to go to the Dance and
that is your next game.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

steveystuds06 wrote:Let's focus on beating Umass first
uMass will press all night until they drop and then they will press more......Hurley has shown thus far that he will not throw the long ball to beat the press instead preferring the point guard mindset of I can dribble thru anything. That needs to change and probably will since we only have one guy who can dribble through anything most of the time.

I hope so....but coaches who were point guards tend to be stubborn about the press.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well Dan has stated that he's flexible as a coach as to strategy....and he's shown that at times.

Let's see if he does change it up...although next season we really won't have any more really good ball handlers coming in except possibly Dowtin. And he being a freshman probably won't play that much with the guard depth we will have.

This season we've had to rely on Four to handle the ball far more than what was planned, and that's cost us many times.

If EC shows an improved handle with his hand finally healed, we'll be OK I would think.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How does Robinson handle the ball? He should also help a little.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

hrstrat57 wrote: uMass will press all night until they drop and then they will press more......Hurley has shown thus far that he will not throw the long ball to beat the press instead preferring the point guard mindset of I can dribble thru anything. That needs to change and probably will since we only have one guy who can dribble through anything most of the time.

I hope so....but coaches who were point guards tend to be stubborn about the press.
These are the silly criticisms of Hurley that draw me out of the woodwork...

"Throw[ing] the long ball" to beat the press isn't a "strategy," it is a play that can be used in one-off situations when the pressing team completely sells out to stop the short inbounds pass. Try doing it more than once against a press and see how many times it gets picked off/thrown away. It is not exactly the biggest coaching breakthrough for opponents of URI to understand that we are susceptible to the press right now. We have one solid ball-handler, a couple of passable ones, and three other guys in our regular rotation of 7 players who should not handle the ball under any circumstances. If we tried to "use the long-ball" more often, that would also only serve to speed up the game, which given our depth situation is clearly not a good option.

"The point guard mindset of I can dribble thru anything?" You think Hurley tells Jarvis to just dribble into/through traps without trying to pass out of them because Hurley was a PG and thinks PGs are invincible?

I mean come on, let's try to assign blame to gameplanning missteps that can actually be attributed to the coach. I can even get on board with criticizing Hurley for not giving Berry 10 minutes a game before Hass went down. Unfortunately there just isn't much with this roster that Hurley can do to discourage teams from pressing us. We might get some easy baskets, but we'll also turn it over at a higher-than-desirable rate and/or speed up the pace of play which will hurt us down the stretch given our lack of warm bodies.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I would offer that the traps used by Fordham, in the half court press, need to be countered by the other offensive players not being trapped, to move into open space and toward to the ball position to present themselves to receive pass....thus reducing the need for dribble out of trap......worked for my CYO team.....My guess is this recent shown weakness is being addressed by the coaches......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I love the UMASS game but VCU is much quicker than us. BUT its MARCH.
0 x
GO RAMS
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

section(105) wrote:I would offer that the traps used by Fordham, in the half court press, need to be countered by the other offensive players not being trapped, to move into open space and toward to the ball position to present themselves to receive pass....thus reducing the need for dribble out of trap......worked for my CYO team.....My guess is this recent shown weakness is being addressed by the coaches......

Your point is correct 105, they should move towards open space. I love the line "worked for my CYO team." Might be a little easier for your players to execute, as opposed to our depleted roster doing it against a Fordham team that is 15th in the country at forcing turnovers.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Does UMass really possess that fearsome of a trap that you need to do something special? They caught us a couple times the other night, but I don't feel like they were able to consistently hurt our offense.

In short, do we really need to change what we did the other night when we beat them convincingly?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I would offer that UMess will not be as bad as they were in the first half on Senior night.....and their scout coaches may have seen the effectiveness of the Fordham 1/2 court traps.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Fordham is 15th in the nation at forcing TOs. UMass is 168th. Should they scout the hell out of it, I'm still not that worried about them being as effective as Fordham.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If they trap us, it will force a more uptempo game, which might not help as we are shorthanded obviously...but then again, UMass isn't that good......
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fordham played a gimmick half court trapping defense meant to get the ball out of Jarvis's hand. It wasnt rocket science he's our lone facilitator right now, Dan knows how to beat it, but he can only play with the weapons he has.
Dayton pressed out of desperation late in the game, and when a team plays helter skelter like that they of course will cause a couple TOs, they never could sustain that for a long stretch and we eventually would have shredded it.
Agree with SF, some of the criticisms make it obvious folks didn't play this game. Its not that simple.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Of course anyone who knows the game Knows that you don't dribble through a trapping
zone press and Hurley knows the game. In addition you are supposed to go side to middle
with your passes in the backcourt and don't dribble along the sidelines. Keep the ball in
the middle of the court as much as possible and keep your head up, looking to pass forward
as soon possible and then attack the rim if available. There should be almost no dribbling in
the backcourt.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Watching these mid major conference tourneys is getting me pumped for Brooklyn baby!
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRamsRep
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RhodyRamsRep »

Hey Rams Fans!

We still have tickets for Thursday's game vs. UMASS for just $35 and packages for all 7 sessions starting at just $100! Give me a call if you're looking to make the trip to Brooklyn. Tickets can be picked up at The Ryan Center, or Barclays will-call on the day of the game.

Available Sections: 111 and 109

(401)874-4295
tfoley@uri.edu
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Those look like good seat locations... mid-level. Wish I could go.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyRamsRep wrote:Hey Rams Fans!

We still have tickets for Thursday's game vs. UMASS for just $35 and packages for all 7 sessions starting at just $100! Give me a call if you're looking to make the trip to Brooklyn. Tickets can be picked up at The Ryan Center, or Barclays will-call on the day of the game.

(401)874-4295
tfoley@uri.edu
Get to Saturday and I'll be bringing a STORM with me. Otherwise I'll be drinking the pain away in Newport.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I appreciate them really committing to having these injuries/illnesses to the very end. No let up.

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yep, all about that consistency
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
RhodyRamsRep wrote:Hey Rams Fans!

(401)874-4295
tfoley@uri.edu
Get to Saturday and I'll be bringing a STORM with me. Otherwise I'll be drinking the pain away in Newport.
BM, don't look at it as drinking the pain away.
You'll be drinking anyway win or lose (I will...and I'm going)...no need to pre-associate it with pain. ;)
0 x
jgrande
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by jgrande »

Below is the discount link for all A10 Tournament Sessions. The promo code is A10.

URI is playing on Thursday Night 6:30pm game. Feel free to check back on this link for discounts as they advance.

If you have issues ordering or need help, contact Joe Grande at JGrande@Brooklynnets.com or 718-942-9653

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/nets1/ ... om=JGrande
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Here is rather startling prediction for the A-10 winner.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-minu ... ncaab.html
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha wow!! That would certainly be interesting.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:Haha wow!! That would certainly be interesting.
And it wasn't but a few months ago that the pretty much annual topic came up they don't even belong in the A10 and bring the league down.
Would not be a surprise to see them pull an upset or two or even three
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think they will beat Richmond and then give Dayton all they can handle, but I don't see them winning that game.

The A10 should find a way to go to either 12 or 16 teams. 4 days of games is enough.

The "bottom four" is a pretty crappy bunch in this league.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In the first PIG game of the first round, Saint Louis beats George Mason 83-78. The Billikens will now face GW in the 2:30 PM game Thursday.
0 x
89er
Michael Andersen

Unread post by 89er »

Last year Rhody fans gathered at BDubs before Friday's game. Real good time!! Anything going on this year?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

'bout 3.5 hours til train time, hoping to see lots of Rhody support down there tonite!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

One thing I recall Dan doing to break the press was
having Gil up near midcourt, so he could take a pass
and distribute , much like the high post player vs. a zone.
Iverson could be the ideal player to take that role.
Good teams attack the basket after breaking the press,
taking advantage of numbers.
Dribbling through a press is a recipe for disaster.
Is this game on TV?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rodfromcranston wrote:One thing I recall Dan doing to break the press was
Iverson has been doing that. Been making his way to around the jump circle and being an outlet for the guards to pass to if/when they run into problems. The issue with attacking the basket once we get into a 4-on-3 situation is with how much it speeds up the game, something that the coaches obviously do not want to do with only being able to play 7/8 players. Given how gassed Garrett and others have been towards the end of games even playing an extremely slowed down pace, it's hard to see that as being the wrong decision.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rodfromcranston wrote: Is this game on TV?
Yeah NBC Sports (590 Verizon)
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:One thing I recall Dan doing to break the press was
Is this game on TV?
Rod after the 22-8 arse kicking we took against uMass right out of the locker room at start of 2nd half was analyzed I expect no worries tonight. As I've said I can't get into Hurley practices but I expect we will have multiple plays in place to shred the crappy uMass press. With VCU the next game in line scoring easy buckets attacking the press is an opportunity to go deep in this tourney.

If Kellogg persists with it most of the game I expect a big win. Iverson and Terrell are licking their chops at all the layups they are gong to get.

I told my teams "time for layups"!! Unlike other recent Ram teams this team is very strong in the layup line.

Big win tonight and let's take on what's left of Havoc!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Obadiah wrote:Here is rather startling prediction for the A-10 winner.

So much for Fordham winning the Tournament, they were down by 16 at the half to Richmond and ended up losing 70-55.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Stop! Rammer Time wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Here is rather startling prediction for the A-10 winner.

So much for Fordham winning the Tournament, they were down by 16 at the half to Richmond and ended up losing 70-55.
Saw a lot of this game on NBC SN, Spiders looked real strong
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

VCU is rolling over UMass and is up by 26 halfway through the second half. UMass is 1-9 on threes, but VCU is 0 for 11. VCU is killing them on rebounding.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Didn't think there would be any upsets in the A10 tourney today.

Earlier, it looked like GW could spring a surprise, but didn't happen.

I think if the Bonnies can win tonight, the A10 will get 4 in. I think they will, but Davidson is dangerous if their 3's are falling....
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

URI is the only favorite to lose in yesterday's games and so far today.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Great.....
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With 11 seconds left, Davidson's Aldridge was fouled on a three point attempt and then put in three FT's to tie the game against the Bonnies and send it into OT knotted at 75.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Davidson wins in OT, 90-86. Tough loss for the Bonnies who led throughout most of the game by as much as 11 points in the second half.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I could not care less what happens in Brooklyn now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:Davidson wins in OT, 90-86. Tough loss for the Bonnies who led throughout most of the game by as much as 11 points in the second half.
Sets up a great game with Davidson vs VCU
Dayton plays St Joe

Can Davidson win next two and grab the Bid?
0 x