Here We Go Again...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Re: Here We Go Again...

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I like Murphy but would rather see someone with head coaching eerience. I wouldn't be surprised if Preston is announced very soon once Hurley goes. I would never compare Murphy and Jerry.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

While it might be a huge risk to take the Rutgers job, Dan might see it as a great opportunity. He has always been in the shadow of his brother and his father when it comes to New Jersey basketball. If he could get Rutgers back to being a legitimate basketball school, he would be a God in New Jersey. That could be part of his motivation. The difference between now and 3 years ago is Hobbs, who is a basketball guy. Supposedly they wouldn't go more than 5 years on a contract 3 years ago. Hobbs could make it a much more attractive offer, especially in years, which is key in rebuilding a program from scratch.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Section104 wrote:
ace wrote:Leaving to go anywhere could not be more of a non-issue. There's a better chance I start at center next year for the Rams.
I trust Ace on this.
The L.A. Rams?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ace has been noticeably absent the last few days. She also deleted her post making fun of that guy who hashtagged us as #RIU and claimed it was a done deal.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Sure I can.
10 years with Bona, one NCAA,
barely above .500 in his career.
.462 vs. A-10. Until this season,
never finished above 7th place.
Having a career season this year,
Nothing spectacular, unless you're using
this outlier year as his norm..
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As much as I like Preston I would be shocked if he is hired. I am not keen about hiring someone who does not have any experience as the top guy.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rodfromcranston wrote:Ace doesn't know what Rutgers is offering or what the situation is.
If agent and Rutgers are talking, there is interest, obviously.
If not, why would there be talks?
It's good for Dan and URI for him to listen to the overtures to learn his market value. This is all free publicity right now and when he chooses to stay at URI, it's another plus.

Listening to the offer and "having interest" are not the same thing. So far, these almost annual Hurley recruitment periods have ended up strengthening Rhody Basketball.

Looking forward to the Dan Hurley Coach's Show from George's tomorrow at 6pm.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

neil wrote:Hoosiers: "Coach stays"
Read one of our greatest fans' post above.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

IF he goes then he goes.

But the only reason we have been dragged through this every year is because the tri-state schools have all sucked.

See what happens. PM is exciting. Maybe some others would be fun to think about if this happens.

The big thing with discussing how a VCU or some other successful teams invest in their team is that they have NCAA credits and that Tournament success that creates money. URI needs to get a piece of that cash flow.

Losing Hurley before would have hurt because URI was so fragile. Now not so much. Hope whatever happens is over quick.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Ace is copying and pasting her posts from Wagner and URI boards to Rutger's board.

"Dan likes.. bla bla... "
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I don't want to see another contract extension. So far this has been a mirror image of CFL.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

If I were listening to an offer it would show that I had an interest in whatever was being offered by whomever.

If I had no interest in leaving I would not bother listening to anything anyone had to offer and would let it be known to all.

Including the public which supports me and my program.

Hurley isn't an idiot. All of the winning cards are in his hand and he doesn't have to discard. He names the value of the pot and he's got five years, practice facility upgrades, The RAC is finally replaced, etc., etc., etc., The AD will do anything he wants, because Rutgers is in the BIG 10 and has to start looking like a BIG 10 program. By Year 4, Hurley will do what he did here, blah, blah, blah.
Of course, he's interested, otherwise he wouldn't be listening. Tomorrow night/Tuesday morning will be when he breaks the news to "his guys," KeaneyBlue will implode, and then he'll be in Jersey making the same speech he did here when he arrived, be on Francesa's Show, blah, blah, blah.....(Big Bore Mike will claim he "knewwww it all aloongggg.")
All before Thursday's full-blast tourney schedule.....

If I'm wrong, fine.

If he leaves, fine.

I ain't losin' sleep over it.

I'm already an insomniac.
Last edited by bressler3south 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Ace is copying and pasting her posts from Wagner and URI boards to Rutger's board.

"Dan likes.. bla bla... "

Didn't hijack Seawright's logon, either!!!!!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I don't feel like the temperature of this board comes into play on anything that matters.

My gut feeling on this one is that DH is gone. Things are moving. Dan knows he can't go to the well every time when the team hasn't won anything.

Rutgers was available. He stayed. He probably won't get the opportunity to jump ship again for 3-5 years to the Johnnies or Scarlet Knights. They will be open though because they won't win.

If Dan stays can he work a new football stadium into his contract extension. We need to get something this time. Or beer in the seats. Something.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Ace has been noticeably absent the last few days. She also deleted her post making fun of that guy who hashtagged us as #RIU and claimed it was a done deal.
Good catch Billyboy. Why do you think that she would do that?
Last edited by ramster 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Absolutely. So true and local guy.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NJRhodyFan wrote:If Hurley takes the Rutgers job, it's for the money and no other reason. And who am I to judge someone for chasing the almighty dollar? It's his life and his family, not mine. But for an ultra-competitive guy like Hurley, I'm really finding it hard to believe that he would accept that job knowing that he'll need to endure several more losing seasons before there's light at the end of the tunnel. Rutgers is a complete dumpster fire. I would argue it's the worst head coaching job of all the P5 schools, and for good reason. Terrible facilities, terrible location, no fan base, no history...depressing situation to say the least. And I don't care how good of a recruiter you are, convincing any decent recruit to spend the next few years of their basketball career in New Brunswick, NJ is an extremely tough sell.

And let me preface this by saying that I do hope Hurley stays and finishes what he started at URI, but maybe I'm in the minority by stating that I wouldn't be too broken up if he bolts this year. The program is in much better shape than it was a few years ago thanks to the efforts put forth by both Hurley and the URI administration. But as much as Hurley has proven to be an excellent motivator and seems to get the most of his players, his in-game coaching skills and decision-making leaves something to be desired at times. Maybe because I was made to believe he was the second coming of Coach K, so my expectations have been distorted from the get-go, but I don't think it's the end of the world if we move onto a new coach next year. If nothing else, we wouldn't have to deal with this offseason drama every year. Will he stay, will he go, will he stay, will he go...it's beyond tiresome. I would love to see someone like Preston get a shot at the head coaching job, but I guess we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it.
NJRhodyFan,

I am not familiar with the arena Rutgers plays in but reading up on it makes it sound quite good.
Holds 8000 a the seating is close to the floor making for a lot of good viewing.

Is this a nice area to live in?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Ace has been noticeably absent the last few days. She also deleted her post making fun of that guy who hashtagged us as #RIU and claimed it was a done deal.
Not sure.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Not sure.
Maybe she's talking to Rutgers, too?
Does there need to be a "who'll replace Ace?" thread?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The RAC at Rutgers is a very odd venue.
When it was built over 30 years ago, it was
considered top notch for the North East.
It's in the middle of nowhere in Picataway.
You go up to this building and it looks like a
commercial building.
You enter in the upper arena.
They saved costs by building it mostly underground,
like New Mexico did with their Pit.
By today's standards, there's nothing special about it.
There's been talk of renovating it. Don't know how
far along they are.
In a Big 10, where arenas are huge, I'm sure besides
Northwestern, the RAC has to be at the bottom
of league arenas.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:Is Rutgers his dream job because of it's location? If the answer is no, then he should stay. He will get better offers eventually.
I wondered about the location too. Last time Rutgers was open it was not in the Big10. Rutgers in the Big 10 puts them playing in some great arenas against some great schools...much be than when they were in the Old Big East traveling all over creation.
I wonder about possible home sickness, or maybe just want to get back home to be close to the family. Plus the family can go to all the home games whenever they want.
Also might wonder if by not taking now, could this job be filled for a while? If someone has success they could be there for a long time.

I'd much prefer the B10 in a P5 conference to St John's or Seton Hall in the Big East.

I wish I could be as sure as ATP and TP that he will not go and the coaches show will be on tomorrow night. I'm scared on this one. Full disclosure I've been scared every time this comes up :o :o
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

You should know that Rutgers is the URI of New Jersey.
It's got a gazillion commuters, has residents too. It's "Suburban Jersey."
People love their school. People dump on the school.
There's lots of Cranston-Warwick-East Greenwich to the area.

He'll love it!!!!

He'll be home!!!!!

Dad will finally have a Basketball Wall built for him!!!!!!!

It's easier than a Pipeline!!!!!!!!

Whatever........
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

This thread is the perfect way to fill the gap before the tourney marathon starts on Thursday.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:This thread is the perfect way to fill the gap before the tourney marathon starts on Thursday.
Yep it's awesome.....

:roll:
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When his name came up for Rutgers 3 years ago and then St. John's last year, how long was it before Dan came out and announced he was staying here? Does anybody remember?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:When his name came up for Rutgers 3 years ago and then St. John's last year, how long was it before Dan came out and announced he was staying here? Does anybody remember?
A little while. Much longer than the time that has elapsed since Eddie Jordan was fired.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I was recruited by Schmidt and played against his teams, and had PM as an assistant my senior year. Schmidt's ability to build SBU into a respectable program has been very impressive. Give him URI's resources and facilities and he'll win here. Well respected guy, and he's been able to recruit underrated players and develop them. Nicholson has been in the NBA for four years.

PM should, and will get a shot at the head job here if he continues on his current trajectory. He's a well respected guy and a great recruiter but I need to see him suceed as a HC at another school. I think it would be premature to bring him in if DH leaves this offseason.

I trust Thorr and the athletic department to make the right choice. I cant say enough great things about the job he's doing here. Coaches can come and go, with Thorr at the helm I'm not worried about the program.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I know I am repeating what other have said... while I hope he stays, I feel that the overall program is in very good shape, and if we were able to get Dan when we were a dumpster fire, we should be able to get a more than acceptable replacement with the current state of the program. It could be just like the hand-off to Harrick (we can dream).

BTW, I would have assumed that Miller at Dayton and the St Bonnies coach would have been targets to be poached before Dan would...they have actually been to the promised land. The Fordham coach also made a good case to be on bigger schools radar. How come nobody ever poached Martelli?
Last edited by RIFan 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Why doesn't Cooley's name ever come up for any of these jobs?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Didn't he get mentioned in connection with Texas job briefly last year? Dan's name is only being mentioned for these jobs in and around New Jersey because of his connection with the area, which makes sense. Why would any of these schools be interested in Cooley, and why would he be interested in them? Nobody not from NJ would entertain leaving URI for Rutgers, and I'm not even convinced Hurley would seriously entertain it.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:Why doesn't Cooley's name ever come up for any of these jobs?
I have wondered the same thing...can only speculate other schools don't think he's worth what it would take to get him, or he has put out the word loud and clear he's happy and not going anywhere. Even if he is, that would be a stupid thing to do...lose your best leverage. BTW, this is not a knock against him, I think he is a fantastic coach who loves it here and would require lots of money and a big commitment from a school to leave.
Last edited by RIFan 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

PC approached Martell when they hired Cooley. Turned them down as did Jim Larranaga. Archie Miller wouldn't even consider Rutgers. He has a nice track record. Can't wait on good P5 job. Dayton is a nice job.
I asked same thing about Cooley. I know he's from Providence and likes it here, but why wouldn't someone at least approach him? He's had far more success than Danny.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Watching and waiting....decision coming next day or two.

This has been fun but nerve wracking....still 50-50 as far as staying or going.....

If Dan likes what he hears from Rutgers, he's gone folks.

As far as us Dancing or not Dancing next season affecting Dan's future [if he stays]?

No guarantees, no matter what anyone says.

Gio, Cooley makes at least 2 million a year. There aren't a whole lot of jobs that pay more, that he'd be interested in. Plus, he's home, and he really thinks PC can compete on the national stage.

And who's to question him? 3 NCAA's and counting.....
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What does Miller at Dayton Make...I could only find $652,000 but that seems low to me. If that is the case, I'm not sure why he is still at Dayton.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Zags, who I think knows as much as anybody on this, as far as reporters go...

Some think that's Dan getting in Zags' ear to drive the price up.

0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Of course it isn't. DH has to have some major assurances from Rutgers to take that job.

I'm sure he wants it if he does get them, though.

If not, he stays.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rambone, you say you are sure he would sign up for a third rebuild where it is unrealistic to ever compete for a league title? Why?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dave Cox for continuity. Players and recruits speak highly of him. We lose him, we lose several recruits, possible even Christion Thompson.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

There's a thread for premature coach choices.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The fact that the URI administration has stepped up and shown him the love (pays him very well), makes this decision harder than it was with past coaches. I think it's now all the "other" things as family, relationships, quality of life, stability...that he's taking into account. He will be a millionaire if he stays or goes.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ATP, I think Dan might be looking more toward the long term.

Short term, he knows he has a big job ahead of him, in a very tough league.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If there is anything in life that rambone is sure of, it is that whatever thing he doesn't like will definitely happen. There is never any logic to any of it, it's just instinctual.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

If Dan leaves does EC go with him?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It would just be a stupid move by Dan.
Yes they are IN the Big Ten, but that's it! They happen to be in the big ten. That's the only thing going for them and some more money.
It would still be the most irrational decision Dan has ever made, he'd also break promises.
I could also see him not feeling worthy of getting a big ten coaching job after this particular year. It's not like he rode off into the sunset after this year. He's got a bitter taste in his mouth.
So he'd leave after this year and step into a situation mired in shit? Again???
Would be a foolish decision.
Win now! Life is short!
Go Rhody!
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Interesting reading the Rutgers board, seems like 50% of the fans don't even want him, they want the GW coach. Dan 100% of our fans want you so there's that!

Rutgers reached out in sat to get permission to speak with Dan. Two days into negotiations now. Should know more early this week I would assume. How he leaves EC is beyond me after what he went through this year and the leap of faith EC took in committing to his program here.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

studs, I can't answer, TP has determined that I'm the anti-Spock.

No logic to it. Like everything has to be logical.

Is it logical that Dan will stay? Ask the all knowing all seeing expert on EVERYTHING, TP.

Dan CAN't leave, because TP says so.

If Dan does leave, TP will have some serious egg on his face.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Have you read anything I've posted in this thread or are you just popping off without knowing what you're talking about again? I think there are tons of reasons that he wouldn't take the Rutgers job, but people also make bad decisions all the time. Anything is possible.

I just have no idea why you would say that if he likes what he hears from Rutgers he's gone. You have absolutely zero idea whether that is true or not, and it is also something not remotely subject to testing - if he goes he must have liked what he heard and if he stays he didn't like what he heard. You're 100% sure those are the only two options? How?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Chris DiSano ‏@CDiSano44
Re: @dhurley15 rumors. @RhodyMBB needs him & he needs them. Reciprocal commitment and growth, best 4 all. On the cusp of sustained success.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Does anybody know what Hurley is saying to the players in private? Feel free to pm me if you know.
0 x