Game 31: @ Fordham Saturday March 5 2:00pm Cox Sports/OSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 31: @ Fordham Saturday March 5 2:00pm Cox Sports/OS

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah, I saw that on the play by play.

That one run by Fordham was the game changer.

Even in the Dayton and UMass games they made a run in the 2nd half, but our lead was big enough to withstand it.

Today, we needed to respond to that run, but it didn't happen.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

A bad pattern has developed in each of the last three games, all with big URI leads when the opponent then intensifies full court pressure. In the Dayton game the lead went from 19 to 7 with 4 URI turnovers in a matter 2+ minutes, in the UMass game the lead went from 22 to ten with 3 URI turnovers in 4 minutes, and against Fordham a 12 point lead evaporated aided by three URI TO's in four minutes. The smaller lead at Fordham was not enough of a cushion to prevent the loss.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

OB, no pattern just we lost. We should have won. It's sports not mathematics. If there is a pattern it's explainable. Like our closer sucks, our best hitter went 0-5, our manager made the wrong moves, our defense sucks, or offense sucks, we are missing 2 starters ect ect ect.

Whatever winnable game. F$$K!

GO RHODY!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Lots of winnable games have been lost this season. Just another chapter in an ever thickening book, for whatever reasons.

Brady, I'll have to admit, you summed it all up there.

I can deal with this now. If this happens next season, it will be a big giant AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, brady, I was not articulate enough on my use of the word pattern. The prime focus on pattern was in reference to the defensive play of our opponents. They do study the game tapes and they saw how effective Dayton used the full court pressure to rattle the Rams to cause a succession of TO's outside the norm. For, example URI had total of 11 TO's for the entire game, 4 came during the two minutes when Dayton ratcheted up the full court intensity. UMass copied that in the second half and also got the lead down by 12. Fordham did the same thing and with a smaller deficit, the bad Rams was able to take the lead. For example, McGlynn under this pressure inbounded the ball several times into TO's. Rhody is not handling it well, so expect more of that type of defense in Brooklyn.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The pressure was designed to fatigue our best ball-handler by trapping and double-teaming him as soon as he crossed mid-court. If they got turnovers so much better. I commented to my daughter that Jarvis would be dead after a half of this type of defense. He didn't turn it over and he could escape the pressure but he had to work extremely hard.

Our coaches realized that Fordham did not have a player to guard Kuran one on one.....he could get by his man at will.....he would go to the basket and shoot or dish easily....he played a great game, defense included....if he were a better shooter it would have been enough for us to win...or if some of his recipients of passes were better able to finish...Kuran will be an impact player next year with a bit of improvement in shooting...

....spotted in the crowd....Phil Kydd..our own Keaney Blue Will Martell.....Chris Scotti....and of course Chad Thomas whose son Mandell was honored on Fordham's senior day....

...got to meet my favorite non-URI player, Joe Shartouni after the game and chatted for awhile about our shared heritage...

...lots of Andre Berrry support from family and friends at the game....

....Rose Hill is a great place to watch a game...a real time-travel kind of place....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I would like to see, next season, some of that Half court trapping defense, from time to time......the in bounding of the ball, on other than under the offensive hoop, has been a concern for me for a while.....I wonder what the TO ratio would be for the season? The side line execution seems to toss it in into the back court.....is this a concern to anyone else or am I being to critical?....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Time travel is right...like a little stone box for sure...pretty cool place. Only 10 more to check out!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:I would like to see, next season, some of that Half court trapping defense, from time to time......the in bounding of the ball, on other than under the offensive hoop, has been a concern for me for a while.....I wonder what the TO ratio would be for the season? The side line execution seems to toss it in into the back court.....is this a concern to anyone else or am I being to critical?....
I think in-bounding has been a concern all year. Tossing it into the back court is not a 'play' and seems to be frequently the option. All the defense has to do is send a good athlete back there with it. (It cost them the PC game). Seems like another one of 'those things' they need to work on, but I'm no coach, so not sure how easy that is to do. That and breaking pressure without running around like crazy...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Breaking pressure is not Four's strong point.

He's a shooter, not a dribbler or great passer.

Next season should bring an improvement when it comes to inbounding and handling pressure.

Again, more depth and maybe more options when it comes to offense/defense substitutions late in games.

We give it a great effort, but we're just too limited in some key areas to do much damage.

Fordham does pressure the ball well, not like VCU but better than most teams in the A10....
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Depth, depth, depth--we need more of it especially at point guard. We will have it next year and the guys will not be exhausted at the end of games like this year.
Garrett had to work extra hard due to the constant pressure on him by Fordham. For some reason yesterday there was way too much dribbling by JG which led to him getting really tired. JT also seemed tired at the end of the game and couldn't get anything going the entire game.
I think they both hit a wall in the same game and we saw the result.
We couldn't stop Rhoomes and we should have doubled teamed him when he got the ball down low at least during the last 10 minutes of the game if not longer. I figured it was time to see what kind of a passer he was............ On TV it looked like Earl got a couple of cheap fouls when bumping him down low as the pass was being made to him. Especially when compared to the bumping Rhoomes initiated after catching the ball and working for a better position as he bumped Earl back toward the basket.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

We def let that one slip away with some pretty bad turnovers. That said, the lost didn't really matter all that much in the grand scheme of things. We'd still be the 7 seed and playing UMass win, lose or draw. Beat UMass, and see what happens vs. VCU.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Beat Dayton, lost to Fordham.

It's a wash...

Lose to Dayton, beat Fordham.

Their record is exactly as it should be.
0 x
jasonmiller88
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by jasonmiller88 »

We played a great game. Im not sure how many of the posters are actually Pro-URI. Im hoping that our true fans and alums support our team as I do. We have been dealt a serious blow with injuries and apparently the latest is the flu. Our guys competed. The negative comments are unreal. Kuran and Four kept us in this game.

The haters on this board are incredible. It would surprise me that very few if any ever played the game or coached it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just start winning the close ones, especially against good teams.

Next year, that is.

Dan knows he has to. Not rocket science.

88, we're not haters. We haven't won the close ones against good teams on a consistent basis for many years, not just during Dan's time here.

It has to change. I don't care how they do it. Just do it.

Some of us have just gotten a little cynical, and how can you blame us?

We've been promised a rose garden for a while now. While there's plenty of promise ahead, nothing is guaranteed until it actually happens.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I was in attendance for the game, some thoughts as a former big man -

-We had no answer defensively for their big man Rhoomes. I have a problem with the way we were defending him. Neither Berry nor Watson could handle him in the post, why are we not fronting the post or double teaming/digging down to force him to throw it out? Granted, a lot of his post touches came from a wing pick-and-roll designed to have our bigs out of position defensively, but a double team should've been drawn up. I'd be interested to hear ARD's thoughts on this

-Our big guys pick and roll defense has to improve

-Offensively it felt like Jarvis was the only player capable of creating his own shot in the halfcourt set. We'll need Kuran to have games like that steadily and Terrell to be more aggressive to stand a chance in Brooklyn
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

KB, neither Watson or Berry is the answer on defense. JN knew that, and exploited it.

Watson has never been good at defending the pick and roll, but Berry in time should get better.

Hopefully the incoming bigs become good at it, and quickly.

As for Terrell, another game like Fordham and we're done like dinner.

We'll get UMass, but VCU is another story. They need to beat us to stay alive for a bid.

I think we'll hang with them, but run out of gas in the 2nd half. Tired legs with little or no substitution options have been a factor in so many close losses this season, and it's even worse now.

CBI anyone? :|
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

I missed the entire Fordham run. I was listening on my phone while demo-ing my upstairs bathroom and my phone died shortly after Iverson put us up 12. It couldn't have been more than 5 real-life minutes when I got my wife's phone on and we were down 4...
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

jasonmiller88 wrote:We played a great game. Im not sure how many of the posters are actually Pro-URI. Im hoping that our true fans and alums support our team as I do. We have been dealt a serious blow with injuries and apparently the latest is the flu. Our guys competed. The negative comments are unreal. Kuran and Four kept us in this game.

The haters on this board are incredible. It would surprise me that very few if any ever played the game or coached it.
Are you related to NYG...208?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
jasonmiller88 wrote:We played a great game. Im not sure how many of the posters are actually Pro-URI. Im hoping that our true fans and alums support our team as I do. We have been dealt a serious blow with injuries and apparently the latest is the flu. Our guys competed. The negative comments are unreal. Kuran and Four kept us in this game.

Are you related to NYG...208?
LOL! JMill is correct. But, we're not related...otherwise, he'd have realized that this is Hater Central a long time ago and not been fazed by it so late in the year.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yeah, I'm a PC fan and I've hated URI for over 40 years. You caught me!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Keaney.Blue wrote:I was in attendance for the game, some thoughts as a former big man -

-We had no answer defensively for their big man Rhoomes. I have a problem with the way we were defending him. Neither Berry nor Watson could handle him in the post, why are we not fronting the post or double teaming/digging down to force him to throw it out? Granted, a lot of his post touches came from a wing pick-and-roll designed to have our bigs out of position defensively, but a double team should've been drawn up. I'd be interested to hear ARD's thoughts on this

-Our big guys pick and roll defense has to improve

-Offensively it felt like Jarvis was the only player capable of creating his own shot in the halfcourt set. We'll need Kuran to have games like that steadily and Terrell to be more aggressive to stand a chance in Brooklyn
110% agree here, i assume Dan felt their outside shooting made doubling down an issue but he was abusing our bigs in 1-on-1 situations and we did nothing to switch up looks on him besides going zone a few times.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

skwalk47 wrote:I missed the entire Fordham run. I was listening on my phone while demo-ing my upstairs bathroom and my phone died shortly after Iverson put us up 12. It couldn't have been more than 5 real-life minutes when I got my wife's phone on and we were down 4...
I had almost the exact same experience, only difference is I was doing a different house project. But otherwise same deal.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

47 and TP, let that be a lesson. :lol:

Never leave the game, or bad things will happen. Actually it's happened to me sometimes.

Get up to go to the fridge or bathroom, and POOF! goes the lead......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If you back and read this thread at the time just after that happened, I officially lost my mind. I was just not emotionally equipped to deal with it. In my mind the game was over when we got up double digits in the second half against a D2 program. I know we were shorthanded but cmon man!

Oh god it's happening again.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's all good, TP. This year, I mean. We've all accepted the fate of this abortion of a season.

Just don't let it happen again.

As in injuries, sickness, and multiple blown late game leads.

You think you've lost your mind. If this or anything close to it happens next season, we'll all find a nice cement wall to bang our heads against.

We are so fucking DUE.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The disdain for Fordham reminds of the attitude of some sports fans in the capital city.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If the previous Fordham coach [Pecora] was still there, we would have won that game.

Just our luck, again.

This guy Newhauser won't be there for long if they keep getting better.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

It's in the interest of the A-10 that he stay and Fordham becomes really good....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He will truly have to be a miracle worker for Fordham to get really good and stay that way.

The gym is their biggest drawback. It's a pit yes, but way too small and old.

Recruiting there has got to be really tough.

What will happen, is they will be good for a couple of years, the coach will get a better offer and bolt, and they will go back to losing again. They haven't been consistently good for like, forever.

They are destined to always be either a bottom feeder or just decent/mediocre.

Maybe if they could play more games at MSG, that could help. Sort of like us when we played at the PCC several times a year.

Their administration shows no inclination to build a new arena. I doubt money is the issue, that school has plenty. It's the will that's lacking.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Fordham can't and won't draw flies n MSG or other big time venue; even with the this year success they belong in the MAAC......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well JN is winning largely with Pecora's players.

He [Pecora] could actually recruit a little there, but he was a flop as a coach.

We'll see what JN can do with his own players pretty soon. I think 3 key guys graduate this year, Mandel, Canty, and Rhoomes.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

TruePoint wrote:If you back and read this thread at the time just after that happened, I officially lost my mind. I was just not emotionally equipped to deal with it. In my mind the game was over when we got up double digits in the second half against a D2 program. I know we were shorthanded but cmon man!

Oh god it's happening again.
Don''t feel too bad about losing it. Fans are allowed to go crazy at times.

Even though this game didn't change our league standing, it still was important to keep it going after the previous 2 games. I really want to see us playing well for the rest of the season. Last year's Stanford game was a depressing way to end a pretty good (not great) year.

I would have liked to have seen CT playing in the second half. I don't know if he was out for health effects from the concussion.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I would have liked to win.

I like when they say "___________ has not won against URI in however long."

Or just any streak. Streaks are fun.

The aggregate mattered to me for this game. Or if we won this game we would string together 2 seasons at 10+ wins. Down the line maybe DH sells himself and URI as a team that has won 10+ A10 games for 5 straight years.

I guess there is one streak I was immune to. . . The string of 20 win seasons that meant absolutely nothing.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

If CFL was still here, we'd be looking at games against The Electoral College and Trump University....probably on the road.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Awesome.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramfan85 wrote:If CFL was still here, we'd be looking at games against The Electoral College and Trump University....probably on the road.
Playing them post season in the CBI
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wonder if Dan will cough up the dough needed to play a game or two in that useless tourney.

I say he won't.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Wonder if Dan will cough up the dough needed to play a game or two in that useless tourney.

I say he won't.
Zero A10 Teams have played n the CBI tournament the past two years. No A10 team will play there this year either
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

No CBI, this year, next year, not ever for URI; we are a program with a history, etc. and should see ourselves as a cut above anything the CBI could ever offer...we need to focus on competing on the up, not the down....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:No CBI, this year, next year, not ever for URI; we are a program with a history, etc. and should see ourselves as a cut above anything the CBI could ever offer...we need to focus on competing on the up, not the down....
Win the next two and (N)it shouldn't be a problem ;)
0 x