Senior night

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
neil
Art Stephenson

Senior night

Unread post by neil »

As most of you know, I've been to every Senior night since 1967. A lot of luck, good weather, and good health to get me there. I always go because it's Rhode Island. Student athletes who graduate and most of whom do not go on to the next level. They play because they love the game. Sometimes there are people on the board who think that the old timers believe that the only great moments and players came around a long time ago. Well, for this old timer, last year's Senior night was one of the best - emotion, TJ kissing the logo, Eric making the shot, it didn't get much better. This year we honor 4 graduates. Hopefully, you will be there, on your feet, to honor them.

Rory Temkin and Shane Plunkett - walkons -All of us know how hard they work without any glory. The warmups, most of the time, are the only times they make it to the court. To their credit they are like the rest of us, cheering and supporting from the sidelines. Are they just like any other members of the team? Just watch when they get in the game and how excited the scholarship players are when they make a good play or score. Watch the tape of last year's Senior night, and when Eric scored the final basket, who was first off the bench to congratulate him. The very best of luck to two quality individuals!

Four McGlynn - This is a tough one to write. Last year, looking back, I thought I was too critical of Biruta. Four comes to Kingston to play a fifth year. Were there games where he shot like Steph Curry. Yes, and there were others where he struggled. Give him and the team some credit. He comes in and starts in the first game. It might not have been an easy situation, but his team mates made him feel welcome. An example was when he was on the post game a couple of games ago, and some Rams were hanging around Steve and Don and kidding him,distracting him when he was trying to talk.. He fit in. Four had an edge about him on the floor which I think Dan liked. Saturday, after hitting some three's he was going after the Dayton student body. The student body gave it back to him. During a time out, Four mentioned it to Dan, and Dan said "f- em" Best of luck Four in all your future endeavors. Hopefully, there are a couple of Four for three's left. Thanks, Four.

Earl Watson - It would be interesting to note when Earl is in the game, how many fans yelled out the word "Watson". All of us know, it was never,ever Watson. It was ALWAYS Earl - and that says volumes. He was one of us. Blue collar, go in the game, rebound the basketball, block some shots, and hustle your ass off. He was the people's choice. Playing most of the time under the shadow of Hassan, Earl worked hard. We all know how many offensive plays were designed for Earl. Not the most talented player on the team ( I do think he plays the piano), his statistics will be nothing to remember, but his playing with heart and desire will. How can you not like Earl? Let him know that on Thursday. Best of luck Earl, you will be missed.

Be there early, please!!! Go Rhody! -and please feel free to add to my paragraphs!!!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Senior night

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Not much to add, great write up on all the players graduating, but I do agree with you that last year's senior night is about as good as it gets.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You could say that on Thursday night we will have finally made the Final Four. :lol: :lol:
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Well said Neil. Last year was indeed one of the most emotional that I have ever witnessed, and hopefully Thursday we'll have a good crowd on hand to send these Rams on their way!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Neil as always, with a good take on things Rhody.
Did anyone see PC is honoring Kris Dunn and Junior Lamomba?
I get Dunn, but Lamomba is a junior and will be
back next season.
Weird. Cooley said it's because Lamomba is Dunn's friend.
Sorry to get off track here...
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Neil,
Thanks for posting.
That is amazing that you have been at every Senior Night since 1967 - truly amazing.
That also means that next year's Senior Night will mark your 50th Consecutive Senior Night!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

I think that next year there should be a special recognition for you. Maybe YOU are the person who presents each Senior with their individual award :D :D

I am sure that your could write a book on Senior Nights alone!! What were your top 5 Senior Night Celebrations? Did all 49 Senior Nights in fact have Seniors to recognize?
Anything unusual every happen?

Your comments about the 4 Seniors are right on.
For Plunkett and Temkin I share your thoughts. I think these guys are simply amazing. They maintain a positive, encouraging attitude ALL the time. We can be down by 30 points and they still cheer their teammates on consistently. They play important roles in the practices and this is especially important whenever players are injured as we well know.
People may sometimes wonder why guys would be on a team knowing they may never play:
- Well, I would trade places with them in a NY minute.
- Chance to play basketball with D1 level players some of whom will play professionally overseas, in the NBA D-League and some even in the NBA
- Have fun while keeping oneself in top condition
- Travel to places you might never get to: Italy, Mexico.........
- Develop friendships that will last a lifetime
- Improve one's basketball skills
- Pride
- Be part of a D1 Basketball Program
- Incredible resume material and future potential networking opportunities
- Learn coaching skills and techniques from D1 level Head and Assistant Coaches
- Senior Night :D :D :D
Special thanks to these two players - proud to call them URI Alumni

Four - I have been particularly tough on him suggesting Thompson should be starting. Looking back I think that Dan Hurley was absolutely right and I was wrong. Four has shown a toughness that has become more apparent as the season has moved along. He has played very key roles at the end of games with his poise in handling the ball and of course making clutch FTs look easy. Players and Coaches have much respect for him. Have to admire that he has his career goals in place too pursuing a Masters in Human Resources. Things changed drastically for this team with EC going down 9 minutes into the season and Four has stepped up to fill a big void. Proud to call Four a URI Alumnus

Watson - What a workhorse. What a warrior. Here is a guy who plays behind Iverson and Martin and never, ever complains. He controls his emotions fantastically well. He is a natural leader. He is much stronger and agile than when he first arrived at URI because he has worked very hard. He is an inspiration to others on the team and especially to a guy like Berry. In the Orlando Tournament the chant was often heard "feed the beast". He is a beast, he is talented and he is a great guy. Proud to call him a URI Alumnus.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Neil, since we have had a forum to post going way back, I have always looked forward to your senior night posts. It is a truly special night every year because we see these guys for four years and then they are gone. They are one of us because we all are RI born and RI bred. Hoping to get down there Thursday but the kids schedules may get in the way. So if I can't Thank you to all 4 players and their families for sharing this love of URI basketball we all share. And thanks to Danny for bringing in kids we call be proud of on and off the court.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Very eloquently put Neil.

And a good follow up by Ramster.

Nice to have such passionate and dedicated alumni and fans like them.

Hopefully you two [and the rest of us also] are rewarded with success soon to come.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

One of the best posts on this board in a long time Neil. I am with you 100%!!!!!!!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As always, great stuff, neil.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

And don't forget the managers. Not sure if any are seniors this yr but I'm always glad when they get recognized. People don't realize what they do. the players do tho. Whether you are a manager, walk-on, or any other position with the team it's a great experience. I've made friends that have lasted 40 yrs & hope they last 40 more.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

They wear our colors, traverse our campus, feel our collective Keaney Blue(s), and will always be part of the look back, when someone's says.....we need an Earl or a Four....as hard as I was sometimes with Four, thanks for giving us the three threat that was missing....and the bench guys, keep on supporting your future teammates the way Coach implored you all to support the floor players...thanks....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Neil -- As always, the Bard of Senior Night. They should have you read this piece over video highlights of the seniors.

And Pee-C honoring a junior on senior night? More evidence of the unjustifiably high regard in which they hold themselves.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Neil -- As always, the Bard of Senior Night. They should have you read this piece over video highlights of the seniors.

And Pee-C honoring a junior on senior night? More evidence of the unjustifiably high regard in which they hold themselves.
And low regard for educational thresholds
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm with section 105....all of them are "our kids".....whether they play one year or 5....whether they are players or others who are instrumental to the experience of college basketball.....I wish them all the best and welcome them to the fraternity of Alumni of the University of Rhode Island...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rammgr wrote:And don't forget the managers. Not sure if any are seniors this yr but I'm always glad when they get recognized. People don't realize what they do. the players do tho. Whether you are a manager, walk-on, or any other position with the team it's a great experience. I've made friends that have lasted 40 yrs & hope they last 40 more.
From the game preview-

The pre-game Senior Night ceremonies, honoring Four McGlynn, Rory Temkin, Shane Plunkett, and Earl Watson, as well as managers Bryan Devine and Kevin Ryan, will begin at 6:45 p.m.

Fans are urged to arrive at the game early and be in their seats by 6:45 p.m.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

ramster wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Neil -- As always, the Bard of Senior Night. They should have you read this piece over video highlights of the seniors.

Please do tell why this kid if on course to graduate should not be honored just like every other kid on any team. BTW the same was done for Tyler Harris last year who decided to move on to another college.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Please do tell why this kid if on course to graduate should not be honored just like every other kid on any team. BTW the same was done for Tyler Harris last year who decided to move on to another college.
Wooden,
I think the misinterpretation is that Lomomba is not a Junior but he is in fact a Senior. He has an extra year of eligibility and plans to go to graduate school at PC next year and also play basketball.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Some video from Senior Night courtesy of CoxHub

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/uri-rams ... t-ceremony
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good senior night - great show!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Congratulations to all! Seeing guys you've watched on the court get that degree and become college graduates is always special.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great picture!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great accomplishment.