Week #16 – Games of Interest/A-10

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #16 – Games of Interest/A-10

Unread post by Obadiah »

The start of Week #15 sees a reshuffled A-10 top layer with VCU now standing alone in first place. VCU has three difficult games left on its schedule and who owns first place may come down to their season ending game at Dayton. Saint Joseph's remaining schedule shows only a major test at St. Bonaventure. The Bonnies play three of their last four games at home and overall have a favorable remaining schedule My guess is these four schools will get the double bye slots in Brooklyn.

URI at 7-7 is currently the sole occupant of seventh place. The Rams remaining schedule is not favorable and assuming a 2-2 finish, this would give the Rams seventh place and they would then open the tournament against the 10th seed in the first evening game on Thursday, facing either UMass or Duquesne.

Though a remote possibility, a disastrous ending to the remainder of schedule could put the Rams close to the bottom four.

In today's release of the polls, Dayton dropped out of the AP poll, but get votes in the other category along with VCU and Saint Joseph's. In the USA today poll Dayton notches the #22 position and in the other votes category, Saint Joseph's, VCU, and St. Bonaventure all get votes.

No games in the A-10 this Monday evening.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #16 – Games of Interest/A-10

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Assuming Hassan can play the rest of the season, in other words have a chance to win anything, finishing 7th and playing UMass would be the best scenario.

Hopefully either St. Joes or the Bonnies will get the 2 seed, that imo would be our best shot at winning 2 in a row.

And that's it. 3 games in 3 days will be too many.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

..but I'd gladly pay for another night's hotel to see it!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Watched UVA tonight closely. They run the weave the way I bet URI wants to run it. The players keep getting lower and lower until they can get a shot easy from closer than the 3 point line or they turn the corner for a lay up.

When ran that way and effective its very fast and very physical. Our guys haven't shown that Parrantes/Brogdan speed/physical to run it like them.

URI should scrap it and run something more in tune with their abilities.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Two games comprise Tuesday's A-10 schedule. In the first game URI is at Davidson to take on the high scoring Wildcats. Tip off is 6 PM. On CBS Sports.

In second game, Dayton travels to Saint Louis with a good chance to end their two-game losing streak. The game is at 8 PM, also on CBS Sports.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dayton looks like el crapo so far against St. Louis.

27 points with 10 minutes left in the game?

Only down 6, they will probably pull it out, but if they don't, there will be a few nervous folks in southwestern Ohio......

Oh well. They'll take it out on us this weekend, especially if Pollard is back and Hassan is out.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Injuries, man. I still think Dayton will get it together, hopefully even be a second weekend tournament team.

I don't know for sure if Jordan survives to coach next year, though I think he does, but it's rough to fire a school's favorite son. Preston coaching URI some day would be a great story- those kinds of decisions are the ones you really hope work out well. I don't think St. John's will find itself in a rough spot with Mullin, but you never know. For those who enjoy a bit of schadenfreude-

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/n ... _165297360
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

As bad as Rutgers is, BC is worse. At least Rutgers beat that unstoppable UMass Lowell squad.

BC started their game against 1-13 ACC foe Wake Forest down 37-4!!! BC wouldn't pass for a low major school right now.

Jim Christian has managed to do the impossible. Further run that program into the ground from what little he inherited from Steve Donahue.

Can BC possibly fire Christian after two years?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And Christian was on our short list after Baron left, I think.

Yikes......
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

As far as I'm concerned, BC deserves this after Skinner
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Glad Preston saw the writing on the wall and got the hell out of Dodge (Chestnut Hill)
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

twisted3829 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, BC deserves this after Skinner
Totally agree.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Five games highlight Wednesday night's A-10 schedule:

* GW at Richmond. 7 PM. On ASN. Tonight's game is a sell out and is the annual Red Out game with free red T-shirts on every seat in the Robins Center. The Spiders won in double overtime in their first match-up. GW's edge is the experience of their front court, but the Spiders' home court advantage may be too much as GW tries to keep its hopes alive for a double bye in Brooklyn.

* Saint Joseph's at UMass. 7 PM. Big Game for the Minuteman as they try to stay out of the bottom four. SJU won the first game by 8 points, but UMass has surged in February winning three of their last four games.

* Duquesne at St. Bonaventure. 7 PM. This will be a battle of probably the two best and highest scoring backcourts in the A-10. Duquesne won the first game between the schools at Palumbo, 95-88, but the Dukes have now lost five straight while SBU is fighting to secure a double bye to the A-10 tourney.

* Fordham at La Salle. 7 PM. La Salle is back home for a three game stretch against the bottom teams in the A-10, but the Explorers have only slim hopes to break out of the bottom four pit. Fordham with one less loss is facing a similar situation, but with a tougher slate of remaining games.

* VCU at George Mason. 7 PM. On MASN. In league play, VCU is now 7-1 in road games with their only loss being the upset at UMass. Mason has lost two straight and while the Patriots show flashes of potential, they often fall into disorganization for spells. In their earlier game in Richmond, VCU won 71-47 and the Southern Rams should easily take this one also.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

STC wrote:As bad as Rutgers is, BC is worse. At least Rutgers beat that unstoppable UMass Lowell squad.

BC started their game against 1-13 ACC foe Wake Forest down 37-4!!! BC wouldn't pass for a low major school right now.

Jim Christian has managed to do the impossible. Further run that program into the ground from what little he inherited from Steve Donahue.

Can BC possibly fire Christian after two years?

37-4? That's almost impossible. Couldn't happen to a better program.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Definitely a surprising night in the A-10.

* GW gets an important road win to stay in contention for a double bye in Brooklyn, by beating Richmond, 73-61. GW won this one on the foul line as they hit 24 of 31 attempts while the Spiders managed only 9 of 14.

* Saint Joseph's who lost its first A-10 road game to Davidson last week got back on track by winning at UMass, 74-57. After a close first half, the Hawks came out in the second to quickly build a 17 point lead. UMass had a terrible night beyond the arc as they went 2-22.

* In a hotly contested game, St. Bonaventure hands Duquesne their sixth straight A-10 defeat, 80-76. The SBU backcourt of Posely/Adams put in 35 points versus the Duquesne's Mason/Coulter duo who put in 29.

* Fordham wins at La Salle, 56-53. Fordham's Joe Chartouny made a layup with 2 minutes left to give the Metro Rams the lead and the win was sealed with a 3 pointer made by David Pekarek with 38 seconds remaining.

* In the biggest surprise of the night, VCU with one of the best road record in A-10 games loses at lowly George Mason, 76-69. Shevon Thompson put in 17 points and pulled down 12 rebounds to lead the Patriots.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow that's a really bad loss for VCU!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

VCU may have played themselves into the NIT with that loss.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

ATPTourFan wrote:VCU may have played themselves into the NIT with that loss.
I don't think that puts them in the NIT. I still have them as an 8 or 9 seed. I think Dayton is a 5 seed, St Joes a 7, VCU an 8, & St Bonnie grabbing that last at large bid of a 12. GW is just on the outside looking in. The Bonnies need to win that home game against St. Joe's to make it in though I think.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

VCU imo is still in, but as a 10 or 11 right now....bad loss, but on the road, which doesn't hurt their RPI as much.

To secure a bid, they need to avoid stumbling out early in NY, and the Bonnies and GW have to at least win their first game or maybe 2 to get in.....especially whoever doesn't get the double bye.

I think the A10 gets 4 in, one way or the other.

Dayton was fortunate to win the other night...if they had lost, their seed would be dropping toward the 8-9 range. Being out of the rankings, no way do they get a 5.....more toward a 7, maybe a 6.

St. Joes is about an 8-9 right now.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The shooting in this Providence-Seton Hall game is terrifying.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes amazingly bad shooting. Dunn with an open 3 air ball then another that barely reached the rim. Looks like seton hall wants him to take the outside shot not double teaming him. Be til off too. Seton Hall could be way ahead if they could shoot.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Seton Hall was up 20 a minute ago. PC looks like a shell of themselves. They've hit a wall.
Derrick Gordon still can't shoot.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dunn's reportedly sick, and Bentil just got ejected. Imagine having to play without your two best players at full strength.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

wish we had like buttons sometimes ace
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Announcers are guessing that Dunn is sick because he has played so poorly. Nothing officially reported that he is sick. Killer to have Bentil ejected for the Flagrant 2 foul.
PC has now lost a baronesque 6 of last 8 down the stretch.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

real subtle ace.......
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PC's last 3 are games they should win, if they play decent.

If not, could be uh-oh time.......
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Aah, the Friars got spanked 70-52 and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving group of arrogant fans. Payback is a bitch.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote:real subtle ace.......
It wasn't supposed to be.

Whitehead was outstanding tonight. Willard finally got control of his team, and it's showing. He messed around with hiring assistants to get players, let the players and their assorted entourages run the team but no more.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just looked at the PC box score.

Just who showed up for them other than Bentil?

Wow. The rest of the team was 0-14 from 3. And they got hammered on the boards, with Bentil chucking up 10 3's.

If Dunn doesn't play well, and Bullock is off, they stink.

If I'm BB, I bolt for the NBA. No Dunn next year, no fun.

And KD isn't helping his NBA stock a whole lot lately, either.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I can't confirm, but B. Hurley may be attempting to check himself into play for ASU tonight. Rough one so far.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Amazing Utah beating Arizona State 27-2 after first 10 minutes
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The anti-Hurley crowd is full of themselves right now.

Let's hope both B and D prove them wrong in a big way next season.

Man what a shit season in so many ways.

And if PC doesn't make the Dance, well misery loves us some company......boo hoo
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:The anti-Hurley crowd is full of themselves right now.

Let's hope both B and D prove them wrong in a big way next season.

Man what a shit season in so many ways.

And if PC doesn't make the Dance, well misery loves us some company......boo hoo
I am not anti Hurley at all.
My favorite team is the URI Rams
My second favorite team is whoever is playing PC
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rojas Gustys with another double double with 12 points and 21 rebounds and 9 offensive rebounds as Hofstra comes from 16 down at the half to win by 1 on the road. Now tied for first with UNC Wilmigton.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, nobody on here is anti-Hurley.

It's all our friends on the A10 board and elsewhere......

Myself and others may have some issues with certain coaching decisions or strategies, but overall it's way more positive than otherwise, in spite of what some might think.

there's ramster with another example of making us feel bad.....
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote:ramster, nobody on here is anti-Hurley.

It's all our friends on the A10 board and elsewhere......

Myself and others may have some issues with certain coaching decisions or strategies, but overall it's way more positive than otherwise, in spite of what some might think.
You're giving way too much head space to a minority of repetitive nitwit fans, I think.

Everyone questions coaching decisions and strategies. It's called being a fan. No need to make it a divisive thing.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well ace, this season has certainly been as divisive as I've ever seen it on this board, but I think we all want what's best for the program, even though our opinions may differ.

The frustration level for sure, has been off the charts.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rambone,
I've read things like "URI kept the wrong Hurley" on this board and it was quite frustrating when PC was rolling to 8th in the nation and all the raving in the Projo was for PC especially when we lost EC and lost by 2 at home to them.
The thing about Bobby is that it's not like URI ever had a choice to keep one or the other. Bobby came with Dan who was the HC we recruited. So if Bobby ends up better than Dan some day so be it. But I have 100% belief that Dan Hurley will have a long, successful career in College a basketball and end up at a high level P5 school. I've read negative things about Dans assistants but Bobby went to Buffalo with success then to Arizona where he is putting together a nice recruiting class for next year, Preston Murphy to BC then to Creighton where he will excel as always, Luke Murray to Xavier where is is already well respected and is the lead recruiter for a kid who just had a quadruple double and could be mr basketball in Kentucky.

I'm optimistic about our program's direction probably to a fault.
I was right there when EC went down 9 minutes into the game and was devastated.
I also thought the loss of EC would hurt us a lot, but it hurt even more than I originally thought.
I think we dribble too much, need to pass better but have all my faith in Dan Hurley. I don't think he will ever get fired from URI and I have said that before. He will move up and onward one day from here I believe and reap success wherever he goes. He is a tireless recruiter, has a penchant for learning the game, well liked by his players.......
Injuries hurt us a lot, simple as that this year. EC, Hassan, Jarvis.....
Next year will be great. Buy your tickets.
Lots of competition for playing time and possibly starting spots by the beginning of A10 play.
Things are looking up in reality imho.
Let's give it all we got in Brooklyn with a big chip on our shoulder, improve from the experience and move on to 2016-2017
The future looks bright and it will be.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree with you ramster about just about all of your points in that post.

My only concern, is will we win the close ones that we lost this season, especially to the better teams?

That hasn't been done so far in Dan's time here and it's a legitimate question to ask.

Until he does, there are concerns about his handling of late game situations, which have been discussed here many times so there is no need to repeat them now.

Yes we will [hopefully anyway] have our injured players back along with the new recruits, but will that make the entire difference?

I think not, and that's where Dan has to address his own issues in that area.

Of course I'm hopeful he will, but I'm going into next season waiting to be shown that he has what it takes to get this team finally over the hump.

Until he does, that's where I stand.

Again, imo we will have NCAA tourney talent next season and beyond.

If DH flops with that talent, then Houston we have a problem.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Misery loves company and I for one am really enjoying the PC meltdown.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Stop! Rammer Time wrote:Misery loves company and I for one am really enjoying the PC meltdown.
Same here!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote:Rojas Gustys with another double double with 12 points and 21 rebounds and 9 offensive rebounds as Hofstra comes from 16 down at the half to win by 1 on the road. Now tied for first with UNC Wilmigton.
Ok, but I'm still glad they used that spot for JT.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Saturday A-10 action highlighted by six contests:

* URI at Dayton. 12 noon On ESPN2. Originally scheduled as the key game for ESPN Game Day, game time was switched to the noontime slot when the Rams' many adversities dimmed pre-season expectations. Too many obstacles for the short handed Rams to overcome in this one, we can only hope for a competitive contest and not a blow out.

* VCU at GW. 12:30 PM. On NBC Sports. Top contest of the day. The loss to Mason has really hurt the VCU resume besides putting what was a certain double bye at risk. For GW, this game is must win if the Colonials have any hopes of finishing in the top four.

* Davidson at Fordham. 2 PM. More important game to Fordham as the Metro Rams try to escape the dreaded play-in game.

* George Mason at La Salle 2 PM. No matter what both teams are destined for a Wednesday game in Brooklyn.

* UMass at St. Bonaventure. 4 PM. The Bonnies are favored by 10 and need to meet that expectation and not look beyond the Minuteman to next Wednesday's big game against St. Joe's at Reilly.

* Richmond at Duquesne 6 PM. The only battle here is to see whether the Dukes can end their six game losing streak.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dunn not starting for Providence today
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

At this point, I'm sincerely worried about Dunn's mental and physical well-being.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Announcers for the game even referred to the possibility Dunn could return to PC next year.
I agree there is cause for concern/worry.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yesterday's A-10 results added further credibility that the teams receiving the double bye berths in the tourney are VCU, St. Joseph's, St. Bona, and Dayton.

Duquesne continues to fall apart so that even having the home court advantage did not avert the thrashing they got by Richmond. Their seven game skid makes them a surprise candidate for being part of the A-10 final four.

Only one game today Saint Louis at St. Joseph's which in now underway with a halftime score 35-32, Hawks leading.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ferry, Patsos, Skerry - all names bandied about when we chose Dan. Very convinced we made the right call.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Houston (whom URI beat) wins at UConn 75-68. UConn (20-9 with an RPI of #54) is very much a bubble team and needed the win to help solidify its position. The Huskies next game is on the road at SMU. UConn will not have the luxury of playing their tournament games in Hartford this year as the AAC is in Florida.
0 x