Best Senario For A URI Championship In Brooklyn

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Best Senario For A URI Championship In Brooklyn

Unread post by luke »

This might sound a little strange, but I think the best senario for URI
to actually win the A 10 Tournament would be an 8th or 9th place finish. If
they don't win the tourney nothing else matters, so here goes. If
they finish 8th or ninth and win game one, they play number one when they have only played one
game and they are still relatively fresh and have gotten the first game
jitters out of their system. And they have had a game to get used to the arena.
While the number one team, probably Dayton could be a little rusty. If URI
wins they play the number 4 team and if they win they play 2 or 3 in the final.
You don't want to play number one after having played twice. So if you finish
8th or 9th you play 8 or 9 then you play 1 then 4 and then 2 or 3 in the final.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Best Senario For A URI Championship In Brooklyn

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sort of makes sense to try to inherit the top seed by beating the #1 early.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Worked in the NCAA's.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Now you folks are thinking big picture.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Can't see us having the stamina to even win three games.
I hope to at least get revenge over st joes or something like that.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Win the first game we play.......go from there....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I have tunnel vision about wanting SJU. Woooooo!
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I would rather get Dayton in the final. I feel like we play Dayton much tougher than we do other teams.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Best case scenario is get the #5 seed, take care of the 2nd round game against a gross team, get St. Bonnie's in the quarters, and then hope for high seed carnage in the other quarterfinal games.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote:Win the first game we play.......go from there....
+1
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

If I'm ANY other A-10 team, I would be lining up to get a shot at URI in Brooklyn. URI has to be the team that everyone wants to play. URI has proven...

1) Can't beat anybody good this year.
2) Will crap down their leg in the final 5 minutes if it's close.
3) Their coach is likely good for 1 technical foul per game...worth at least 2 free points.
4) Can't play away from home court.
5) Has little track record of tearing it up on the conference tourney. (Only won it once, when the current team was in diapers.)
6) Fan base that won't travel very well due to this year's disappointing season.

URI is a great matchup for any team that has eyes on winning the A-10 tourney.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Talk about a constant Debbie Downer, negative attitude on all things URI. If the URI basketball program and the young men who compose the team now and in the past bother you so much, why not leave and find another team to root for. URI needs supportive fans, not cynical ones.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:Talk about a constant Debbie Downer, negative attitude on all things URI. If the URI basketball program and the young men who compose the team now and in the past bother you so much, why not leave and find another team to root for. URI needs supportive fans, not cynical ones.
+10,000
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Tell me one point from my post that is not accurate. I can support the URI team/program while at the same time seeing the facts as they are. I'm just giving a little perspective from let's just say St. Bonaventure. What point do you disagree with? I wish my 6 bullet points were not true but they are.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

...the only way to prove you're a 'real fan' that 'knows something' is to throw up a "We stink and here's why" post....I guess....

How about...support the team/program by...going to Brooklyn and encouraging others to do so?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I rather not get into a pissing contest with you over this so please don't give me the baloney that your view is shaped by the results to date because you showed a negative, smug and self-indulgent attitude BEFORE the season began.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:If I'm ANY other A-10 team, I would be lining up to get a shot at URI in Brooklyn. URI has to be the team that everyone wants to play. URI has proven...

3) Their coach is likely good for 1 technical foul per game...worth at least 2 free points.
5) Has little track record of tearing it up on the conference tourney. (Only won it once, when the current team was in diapers.)
6) Fan base that won't travel very well due to this year's disappointing season.

Point 3. Likely implies a more then 50% chance of something happening. Teams have gone to the line maybe twice this season due to a Hurley technical foul.
Points 1,2,4-6. You really think teams are aiming to play URI over the bottom of the league? How do you think UMass fans will travel? How is LaSalle on the road? How many big wins does Forham have?

Another hyperbolic, garbage post from a traditionally garbage poster.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Amen.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Very pessimistic, but none of us can argue #1. They've continually fallen short of beating quality teams this year. Doesn't matter that they've played hard or "hung with" the RPI top 50. A lot of teams play hard, doesn't separate us from any other average team. This is just me, but for me to be hopeful in Brooklyn, they have to prove to me they can BEAT a good team. A few more opportunities for sure and maybe they can persuade me, but this fan won't be getting his hopes up unless they pull off some good W's in the coming weeks.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:If I'm ANY other A-10 team, I would be lining up to get a shot at URI in Brooklyn. URI has to be the team that everyone wants to play. URI has proven...

Point 3. Likely implies a more then 50% chance of something happening. Teams have gone to the line maybe twice this season due to a Hurley technical foul.
Points 1,2,4-6. You really think teams are aiming to play URI over the bottom of the league? How do you think UMass fans will travel? How is LaSalle on the road? How many big wins does Forham have?

Another hyperbolic, garbage post from a traditionally garbage poster.
Regarding point #3, fine...I'll revise my wording from "likely" to "has a better likelihood than other A-10 coaches" of getting a technical foul. How's that? Better.

Regarding points 1,2, 4-6...my post isn't about UMASS, Fordham, and LaSalle. Just for the record, YOU (not me) just lumped in URI with those teams. So you're saying URI is comparable to the bottom of the league teams. OK, got it. By the way, UMASS has wins over Clemson and VCU this year. Fordham is local to NY so they may have more fans in Brooklyn, who knows? Son of a gun, I didn't even realize until I just checked but LaSalle beat Dayton this year.

Again boys...points 1 thru 6 are about URI and they cannot be disputed. They are based on facts and previous record of performance. This is not "hyperbolic, garbage." Fine, label me pessimistic. I see no reasons (i.e. facts) otherwise.

It's quite annoying to get into a message board discussion with others when you others bring nothing other than:
"hey, you're not be positive"
"if you were a real fan, then you'd..."
"you're not supporting the team..."
"this is hyperbole, garbage post"

I'm all ears (or eyes, in this case). Prove to me, make the case against the 6 points of blight I referenced.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

....the 'we stink, here's why' and 'I'm right, because I know something' battle rages forth...
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I'm pretty optimistic and generally think the team can win going into most games, even tonight. When they lose outside of Maryland I get frustrated.

I love Rhody bball.

I don't think its fair to tell people they are too negative when they try to discuss what they think the team could do better.

Its not like the team is winning in the face of this criticism. People say A, B, and C will stop URI from beating whoever and the team loses.

URI playing PC isn't the superbowl. Still, URI should have won 1 over the past 4 years.

Obviously Dan is exciting and the team is exciting looking forward but its not out of bounds to point out flaws on a team that is clinging to a .500 record. A team that is grossly underperforming for who is left playing. Especially on the internet. Its not like posters comments are on the front page of the Journal.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I'm pretty optimistic and generally think the team can win going into most games, even tonight. When they lose outside of Maryland I get frustrated.

I love Rhody bball.

I don't think its fair to tell people they are too negative when they try to discuss what they think the team could do better.

Its not like the team is winning in the face of this criticism. People say A, B, and C will stop URI from beating whoever and the team loses.

URI playing PC isn't the superbowl. Still, URI should have won 1 over the past 4 years.

Obviously Dan is exciting and the team is exciting looking forward but its not out of bounds to point out flaws on a team that is clinging to a .500 record. A team that is grossly underperforming for who is left playing. Especially on the internet. Its not like posters comments are on the front page of the Journal.
LOL...you read too much into it. I think the poster was just dying for the opportunity to drop a "crap down their leg" reference....nothing more, nothing less.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

You guys are so caught up on semantics. I'm sorry if I offended URI nation by saying this team "craps down their" leg in the last 5 minutes of games.

Instead, URI "plays tight and tends to choke" in the final minutes. Does that make you feel any better than saying they "crap down their leg?"

Honestly, what's the difference? We all know what they do in the closing minutes. You say it one way while I say it another. Ridiculous.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I don't think the team is under performing given the injuries that have occurred lately.
I applaud them for taking the number 13 team in the country down to the buzzer
without a 100% healthy Iverson and Garrett playing with a fractured jaw. That does
not mean i don't hope they win anyway, but I don't take it as a given that they are
under achieving if they lose. I think they played a great game against Dayton and I think
Dayuton played a great game against URI. Dayton made a final shot while trailing and URI
missed a final shot while trailing. That happens every night somewhere. when they improve
through more experience or getting better talent, they will end up winning most of those games.
Right now they may be just a hair behind the teams they are losing to, but are hanging tough
despite being not quite as good. I think they are getting closer. Who knows, they could turn
the corner tonight or next week or whenever. I for one am going to stop being frustrated by
such losses and hope for better days to come sooner than later.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:You guys are so caught up on semantics. I'm sorry if I offended URI nation by saying this team "craps down their" leg in the last 5 minutes of games.

Instead, URI "plays tight and tends to choke" in the final minutes. Does that make you feel any better than saying they "crap down their leg?"

Honestly, what's the difference? We all know what they do in the closing minutes. You say it one way while I say it another. Ridiculous.
Sorry, I don't really care about semantics...say it how you like...that was supposed to be a funny.
So, whaddya think...going to Brooklyn?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I believe we are playing our best ball of the season right now.....all three starting guards are performing well offensively....we need Hass and Kuran to contribute a bit more and stay out of foul trouble.....we are sandbagging the opposition right now.....but in Brooklyn we will put it all together and get on a run....

....I hope....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.........now what.......?.......just asking.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Zero chance. Not enough depth. Not as good defensively as last year. Offense inconsistent
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:.........now what.......?.......just asking.....

I am at a loss for words. Good semi comeback though, the guys didn't quit when it would have been easy to fold up
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

section(105) wrote:.........now what.......?.......just asking.....
Call in sick to the A-10 tournament? They don't have the depth to play on a run 4 straight days unless they receive packages at Ashley Manning's house.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There is no best scenario.

Making the semifinals in NY would be a huge stretch right now.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It will be just an accomplishment getting a single win in Brooklyn.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

....something to build on for next year.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:You guys are so caught up on semantics. I'm sorry if I offended URI nation by saying this team "craps down their" leg in the last 5 minutes of games.

Caught up on semantics? Well yes, people do get hung up on words and their meanings on message boards because that is the only way to communicate in this medium. If you don't like being misunderstood perhaps you need to craft your posts better instead of whining when people come back after your first poorly worded post.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Snooze... ZZZZZZZZ... Snooze... ZZZZZZZ

I wonder if the other sub .500 A10 teams have a thread with the same title?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have a chance...if they cancel the tournament, and conduct an NBA style lottery instead.......
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I'm down with the win the first game strategy.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramblinrose wrote:I'm down with the win the first game strategy.
Cheers to that
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Caught up on semantics? Well yes, people do get hung up on words and their meanings on message boards because that is the only way to communicate in this medium. If you don't like being misunderstood perhaps you need to craft your posts better instead of whining when people come back after your first poorly worded post.
It's the other way around, my friend. I'm not being misunderstood at all. I would suggest to you that you would need to lighten up if you're offended by me saying that the team "craps down their leg" in the final minutes of games. I don't think there's any way to misunderstand that. My post and wording was crafted exactly the way I intended. Crap down their leg, choke, gag, freeze up, pee their pants/shorts...take your pick as to the wording, whatever makes you feel better. The semantics are all the same.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Results speak for themselves.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Mike Motel may sound negative. But I can't argue too hard with his bullet poimts. I'll be back later with Strategies for winning Powerball.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Winning at least 2 games in Brooklyn would be a solid way to end the season with the way we're currently playing in my opinion. As someone else said, how many sub .500 a10 teams are talking about winning the a10 championship right now? Probably none. Winning 2 games would most likely mean beating one team we should beat then winning against one of the top 4 teams and losing in the semis. Of course I'd love to see us win four in a row and get a bid to the tournament but realistically speaking I think 2 wins is a good achievable goal for where we're at right now.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I still go with this.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
josephski
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote:

Saying "win the first game and go from there" is the standard for any a10 team not expected to win the tournament. I agree with it but what are you're expectations for our team, based on our talent and current play, in the a10 tournament?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

josephski wrote:
section(105) wrote:

Saying "win the first game and go from there" is the standard for any a10 team not expected to win the tournament. I agree with it but what are you're expectations for our team, based on our talent and current play, in the a10 tournament?
Winning one game....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
josephski
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote:
Winning one game....
Solid expectations. Hope we get it done.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Ramblin Rose...I'm waiting on those Powerball strategies. C'mon, help me out.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I apologize to all posters. My previous post has been proven wrong, or parts of it.

1) URI beat Dayton. Great win. (then proceeded to lose to Fordham and UMASS)
2) Anybody got some toilet paper?
3) No techs for Dan...although he has a long way to go to act like Bob McKillop on the bench.
4) Won at Dayton...lose at Fordham. I'll give a pass on at UMASS loss. 4-11 away from Kingston.
5) Bye, bye Brooklyn. We hardly knew ya.
6) How large was the URI contingent?

So for the other teams in the A-10, they fortunately or unfortunately won't get to play URI. You'd have to ask them if they were looking forward to it.
0 x