CELTICS and the NBA

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: CELTICS and the NBA

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Philly ain't dead yet...
OK...now they are.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

SGreenwell wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:It's almost like actively trying to lose as many games as possible for four straight seasons doesn't prepare a team to win in the playoffs. Imagine that.
I don't really think that's a fair criticism. Ask the Miami Heat how ready the Sixers were for the playoffs. It's not like the Heat were some unprepared squad.
Being a clearly superior team talent-wise can mask a lot of flaws. And while I do think the Sixers are very good, I also think "The Process" is hampering them in this series big time. The Celtics went through a similar rebuild, but instead of purposely tanking for four straight years, they got their young guys into the playoffs and got them valuable postseason experience. And it's paying dividends right now. Meanwhile, the Sixers could very well be at 1-2 or even 2-1 in this series if they had some playoff experience. I'm not a big 'intangibles' guy, but I think it would have helped them to close out some of these games. Instead, they intentionally passed up the opportunity to gain that experience.

It's also worth mentioning that the C's roster is actually younger than Philly's, so you can't pin this on youth. "The Process" is a fun rallying cry to energize their fan base, but I think it deserves to be called out in this series.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It's not over yet.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: It's also worth mentioning that the C's roster is actually younger than Philly's, so you can't pin this on youth. "The Process" is a fun rallying cry to energize their fan base, but I think it deserves to be called out in this series.
The difference in this series is that the Celtics have an A+ coach, while Brett Brown has largely been exposed to be a complete stooge as the bench coach. You can easily argue that Brown is a huge part of the reason for losses in Game 2 and Game 3.

If you put Brown with the Celtics and Stevens with the 76ers, the 76ers are probably heading into Game 5 up 3-1 (at worst). Honestly, I thought heading into the series, the 76ers had a B roster and the Celtics had a C+ roster, but I think that as the coaching piece has played out, Stevens has elevated the C's to a B type team while Brown has brought the 76ers to a C+ type team.

That said, coaching only goes so far and it's the same reason they probably lose to the Cavs in 5 or 6.

I'm surprised with the amount of people being hyper-critical about the 76ers "youth" movement. Has not been a pretty series for them, but I think people are looking at it differently if the coach is not blowing some of these games on them.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The Celtics are dangerous in close games because of Stevens no doubt.

He is easily one of the best bench coaches in the NBA.

Agree though, LeBron isn't going to lose to them. He's playing out of his mind.

Doesn't matter what defensive strategy the C's can use.....he can pass as well as score.

Make the others beat you, is their only shot of winning that series.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote: It's also worth mentioning that the C's roster is actually younger than Philly's, so you can't pin this on youth. "The Process" is a fun rallying cry to energize their fan base, but I think it deserves to be called out in this series.
The difference in this series is that the Celtics have an A+ coach, while Brett Brown has largely been exposed to be a complete stooge as the bench coach. You can easily argue that Brown is a huge part of the reason for losses in Game 2 and Game 3.

If you put Brown with the Celtics and Stevens with the 76ers, the 76ers are probably heading into Game 5 up 3-1 (at worst). Honestly, I thought heading into the series, the 76ers had a B roster and the Celtics had a C+ roster, but I think that as the coaching piece has played out, Stevens has elevated the C's to a B type team while Brown has brought the 76ers to a C+ type team.

That said, coaching only goes so far and it's the same reason they probably lose to the Cavs in 5 or 6.

I'm surprised with the amount of people being hyper-critical about the 76ers "youth" movement. Has not been a pretty series for them, but I think people are looking at it differently if the coach is not blowing some of these games on them.
Totally agree with all of this. My only point is that youth "grows up" faster when they're playing meaningful games and not purposefully tanking. Not saying that the youth movement isn't going to work or that these guys won't be good. Just that they could be further along if not for their "process".
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

SmartyBarrett wrote: Totally agree with all of this. My only point is that youth "grows up" faster when they're playing meaningful games and not purposefully tanking. Not saying that the youth movement isn't going to work or that these guys won't be good. Just that they could be further along if not for their "process".
I think that is a problem with the NBA -- are you better off getting a 7 or 8 seed in the playoffs and losing in 4 or 5 games in the 1st round, or purposely losing games trying to acquire Top 5 talent? While we can point to the C's as arguably a team that did it the "right" way, they were also blessed to have a surplus of picks from the Brooklyn trade -- Are people looking at this as a miraculous rebuild if the C's hadn't had the ability to draft Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, the additional lottery pick (TBD), etc.? Further, it's a huge aspect to the C's being able to land Horford and Hayward (and likely keep Irving) because the allure of present and future elite talent. It was also the sell to an elite player like Durant -- "Come be the alpha, we will build around you with all of our young talent and future lottery draft picks." It has allowed Stevens to build and grow his program, and it's all connected to having the chance to draft and develop elite young talent.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I think that is a problem with the NBA -- are you better off getting a 7 or 8 seed in the playoffs and losing in 4 or 5 games in the 1st round, or purposely losing games trying to acquire Top 5 talent?
Here's the best breakdown I've seen of this question: http://www.celticshub.com/2018/04/09/mi ... t-process/
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

SmartyBarrett wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:I think that is a problem with the NBA -- are you better off getting a 7 or 8 seed in the playoffs and losing in 4 or 5 games in the 1st round, or purposely losing games trying to acquire Top 5 talent?
Here's the best breakdown I've seen of this question: http://www.celticshub.com/2018/04/09/mi ... t-process/
There are a few flaws in that argument --

1) The article compares Utah and Philly as teams that started in one place, took two different paths, and are currently both in the same place. While true, I would argue that Philly is a lot closer to a Championship caliber team than Utah. Further, the success of Utah hinges almost entirely on the development of the 13th overall pick in the draft (Donovan Mitchell), which I would argue requires complete dumb luck to draft a future superstar from anyway in the late-lottery. In between Donovan Mitchell and 2001 (Richard Jefferson), there has arguably been one franchise player taken (2015- Devin Booker) taken with the 13th overall pick. There are also numerous busts, from Georgios Papagiannis to Kendall Marshall to Sean May to Marcus Haislip to Marcus Banks, etc.

2) The article than talks about Houston and how they never had to bottom out to be successful. While true, the take is flawed -- There are very few free agent destinations in the NBA. The Texas teams (because of income tax laws) have been very competitive with top free agents as a result. Houston traded for James Harden, but kept him. Dwight Howard (while in hindsight a bust) signed as a major free agent. Chris Paul was a sign-and-trade player, only possible because he wanted to play in Houston. Is that really the model we want to use? LeBron might choose LA, but there is no chance he chooses Milwaukee or Charlotte, nor is it likely that any major free agent will. The way those teams need to rebuild is very different than a Miami, LA, Houston, etc. A completely flaw with the cap situation in the NBA that no one is willing to fix.

3) The article correctly points out the fact that the Kings have been terrible for so long. I would agree with that, but simply because they have consistently missed on high draft picks. In 2010, they draft DeMarcus Cousins, a legit player. In 2011, they trade their pick for Jimmer Fredette and John Salmons, passing on guys like Brandon Knight, Kemba Walker, Klay Thompson, and Kahwi Leonard who went after that pick,In 2012, they picked Thomas Robinson 5th overall. One pick later Damian Lillard is drafted. Harrison Barnes and Andre Drummond also go in the next few picks. In 2013, they drafted Ben McLemore, missing shots at guys like CJ McCollum, Giannis, etc (weak draft). In 2014, they draft Nic Stauskas. In 2015, Willie Cauley-Stein. Bust after bust after bust. You could argue that more legitimate tanking may have helped them, reducing the odds of making stupid picks from draft 6, 7, or 8. I would say the same things about Phoenix, who while they hit big on Devin Booker, have also had lottery picks since 2011 of Markieff Morris, Kendall Marshall, Alex Len, TJ Warren, Booker, Dragan Bender, and Josh Jackson.

4) I would agree that tanking can be a risk, because it is so completely reliant on nailing so many different pieces. But in the NBA, is it about just winning games and making the playoffs, or trying to win a Championship? Unfortunately in that sport, when the season starts in October, there are 2-4 teams who even have a shot at doing that. The NBA consistently shows, you don't just need 1 superstar, you probably need 2, maybe 3 of them. Where are you going to get them? Free Agency? Maybe a handful of teams can pull that off. From the middle of the draft? Complete crap shoot. Top 5? Not a guarantee but better odds.

That said, if you can avoid tanking, I would say avoid it (what the C's pulled off for example), but how many teams can be as blessed? That's my rebuttal and I'm sticking to it :lol: :D :lol:
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

So how about those Celtics?
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

What they are doing is remarkable. Cleveland may wake up and win this series but Stevens and Ainge deserve all the credit in the world for what they've put together.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Celts in 6. Going to win tonight.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote:Celts in 6. Going to win tonight.
This... was not entirely accurate, haha. But hey, at least you're not Deadspin. :) - https://deadspin.com/the-rockets-are-sh ... 1826246300
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Celts in 6. Going to win tonight.
This... was not entirely accurate, haha. But hey, at least you're not Deadspin. :) - https://deadspin.com/the-rockets-are-sh ... 1826246300
I felt it coming on Friday. If it wasn’t for the stupid second quarter I might have been right.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When you go 7 for 39 from 3, you aren't going to win. 39 chucks are WAY too many, even for them.

Well Celtics fan or not, you have to like their chances for next season.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Love all the people that suggested trade kyrie.. Rozier is just as good... Not even close.. Sign kyrie long term
.see if you can create a package around rozier and brown and get 1 more superstar.. Great post season for Celts.. Over achievers may help them get better.. Tatum is good..real good
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Now that we've seen what this group has turned into, I think there are only two players I would trade Jaylen Brown + assets for ... 1) Anthony Davis or 2) Karl Anthony-Towns. Those are potential semi-realistic targets (Towns seems more likely to be traded than Davis), as of course we'd all take Durant, Curry, or Lebron, but that is simply unrealistic.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

DONT MAKE A SINGLE MOVE PLEASE
1 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I'm ok trading off some pieces if they are the right pieces -- there is not enough shots/minutes to go around to make everyone happy once Kyrie and Gordon come back. Irving, Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Morris, Smart, and Rozier are all going to want their minutes and their shots. Further, that doesn't even include the fact the C's are still going to need to play a backup big (let's say Theis or Baynes) 12-15 minutes a night. My fear is that while you got everyone playing at 125% this season because of consistent minutes/shots, next year is Stevens' toughest job yet with trying to manage chemistry, expectations, etc. For someone who has never had to really do it, it might make his job a lot easier to take out some of those variables and just let him focus primarily on the X's and O's.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

I'd be careful trading off Brown; he's nowhere near his top in my opinion. It will be tough for Rozier next year with Kyrie. They do have that number 1 pick they could deal.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I think they should absolutely stand pat. Let Monroe walk, sign Smart, sign Baynes, make a decision on Larkin (I have no opinion on that one), lock in the first round pick, and get ready for next season.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I expect them to churn the back of the roster and otherwise bring back the same group. As part of that roster churn, I wouldn’t mind seeing a knock-down shooter for the second unit. Otherwise, unless a deal presents itself for Towns or Davis, I don’t see what you’re going to add. You’re loaded on the wing, and you’re loaded in the backcourt, especially if you bring back Smart. If you had to trade away something from one of those strengths to add a truly elite player who wouldn’t be redundant on this roster, fine. Some combination of Brown or Rozier and picks...if someone wants to get fleeced by Ainge for a future all-NBA big man, fine. To be clear, I’m not advocating for trading either of those guys out of a concern about minutes or shots; I’d be perfectly happy bringing them back and think that’s what they will end up doing. But I don’t think any other guys that could get you something worthwhile are tradeable - Tatum should be kept in a vault, Irving is your most elite player at the moment, Horford is worth way more to you than he would be to anyone else, and Hayward is untradeable for other reasons.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

This situation with Brian Colangelo and the Sixers is off-the-charts bad (for them, not for me) and hilarious.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/29 ... elle-fultz
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Pie in the sky, I would love to see the Celts give Terrell a shot at replacing Marcus smart. U know I'm a homer but what the heck. Terrell has the high motor on defense that smart has. He's not as nasty but he is athletic.. Shoots better than smart.. Cheaper, poor mans version that i think is worth taking a look at.. Smart is valuable but I think he is going to cost too much....
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

My hope for this offseason is that Ainge is able to take advantage of the low hanging fruit that is the Orlando Magic. There new front office has already shown they are as incompetent as their predecessors. Drafting Jonathan Isaac and hiring Steve Clifford, bleh. Not to mention the Magic are owned by the DeVos family so it starts from the top down in Orlando.

If I am Ainge I am calling Orlando daily trying to flip Terry Rozier and the Celtics 2018 & 2019 1st Rounders for Magic's 6th overall pick in 2018 draft. Magic have a huge hole at PG and would be dumb enough to buy high on Rozier. This would set the Celtics up to draft a big like Mo Bamba or Michael Porter Jr.

Detroit's new front office of Ed Stefanski is ripe for a fleecing too but SVG gutted that roster to the studs. Outside of Drummond there isn't much left on that roster (Griffin would be nice but not with his current contract).
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

STC wrote: If I am Ainge I am calling Orlando daily trying to flip Terry Rozier and the Celtics 2018 & 2019 1st Rounders for Magic's 6th overall pick in 2018 draft. Magic have a huge hole at PG and would be dumb enough to buy high on Rozier. This would set the Celtics up to draft a big like Mo Bamba or Michael Porter Jr.
I don't think even the Magic would be stupid enough to do that. The C's pick this year is #27 and next year will be the same if not better. Honestly, I'm ok with them trading that Sacramento pick, as there is some risk with that pick. If Sacramento gets the 1st overall pick in 2019, you get the 76ers pick which next season could very well be 25+. The value with that deal only exists if Sacramento doesn't completely suck. Next year with draft lottery reform teams 1-3 all have equal chances (14%) of getting the top pick. Plus, next years draft is assumed to be much weaker than this years, so it's possible that trading up for pick 6 or pick 7 could bring more upside than having pick 3 or 4 next year. I want to stay far away from guys like Zion Williamson.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:This situation with Brian Colangelo and the Sixers is off-the-charts bad (for them, not for me) and hilarious.

The context of this is that a lot of Sixers fans already hated Bryan Colangelo. Three years ago, Silver got involved, when he shouldn’t have, and facilitated the hiring of Jerry Colangelo as some bs chairman of whatever within the Sixers organization. Shortly afterwards, Jerry hires Bryan and then resigns and is names a “special advisor.” Shady, shady, shady. The cult of Hinkie remains strong in Philly!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
TruePoint wrote:This situation with Brian Colangelo and the Sixers is off-the-charts bad (for them, not for me) and hilarious.

The context of this is that a lot of Sixers fans already hated Bryan Colangelo. Three years ago, Silver got involved, when he shouldn’t have, and facilitated the hiring of Jerry Colangelo as some bs chairman of whatever within the Sixers organization. Shortly afterwards, Jerry hires Bryan and then resigns and is names a “special advisor.” Shady, shady, shady. The cult of Hinkie remains strong in Philly!
And Sixers fans are right about that. I think they give Hinkie just a little bit too much credit for being a genius, when all he did was follow an established tanking strategy that has been around the NBA forever and dress it up like it was something his math-whiz brain came up with out of nowhere. But he definitely got screwed by the league and by his own ownership, so for that reason I'm happy to see this happen to Colangelo.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
ace wrote:

And Sixers fans are right about that. I think they give Hinkie just a little bit too much credit for being a genius, when all he did was follow an established tanking strategy that has been around the NBA forever and dress it up like it was something his math-whiz brain came up with out of nowhere. But he definitely got screwed by the league and by his own ownership, so for that reason I'm happy to see this happen to Colangelo.
I also think that Hinkie has unfairly been the scapegoat for this. Like, the Sixers' owners and other execs in the organization had to sign-up for it. He purposely wasn't doing things like signing mid-tier free agents in order to win 5 to 10 more games, for example.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ultimately it was the league that killed the Hinkie Sixers. It seems obvious that the ownership would change their mind about what had maybe sounded like a good idea in theory when the fans got impatient, but here the fans seemed to have been 100% behind the "process" (which, again, was just sucking on purpose to acquire high draft picks - not exactly a sophisticated and earth-shattering new tactic). The fans were won over by the argument that there is no point of being mediocre in the NBA; the only way to get great is to get really terrible first so you can get a shot at one or more generational players. As a Celtics fan, I'm glad we proved that theory wrong by trying to be as good as possible every year and rebuilding that way - but I'll admit it took a ton of luck and the stupidity of the Brooklyn Nets. Really, being shitty on purpose is the way to go.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

While the tanking aspect wasn't necessarily some novel idea, Hinkie does (and should) get credit for the way that he was able to stockpile assets over the years that he was in charge.

He was either acquiring multiple first round picks either from teams looking to dump salary to avoid paying the luxury tax (ex. 2015 trade with Sacramento - where he traded 2 draft-and-stash players along with a first round pick for 3 players and 2 first round picks) or teams who are looking to acquire a particular player (ex. The Magic acquiring the #10 pick in the 2014 draft (Elfrid Payton) for the #12 pick in the 2014 draft (Dario Saric), a 2nd round pick in 2015 (Willy Hernangomez) and what wound up becoming the #5 pick in the 2017 draft (De'Aaron Fox).

That is really where Hinkie's shrewdness helped the Sixers, as he was able to consistently "win" trades and take advantage of poorly-run teams.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:UAs a Celtics fan, I'm glad we proved that theory wrong by trying to be as good as possible every year and rebuilding that way - but I'll admit it took a ton of luck and the stupidity of the Brooklyn Nets. Really, being shitty on purpose is the way to go.
I'm glad you inserted the last part to prevent me from delivering another long-winded response on how the only reason the Celtics rebuild has been so successful is because they had the Nets doing the sucking for them :lol: :lol:
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Bye, Bryan.

I was getting nervous as it seemed to drag on but glad he’s gone. Someone’s going to have a chance to walk into a great situation.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

STC wrote:-If C's stay at 3 please draft Tatum. If the C's go Jonathan Isaac I will throw my tv out the window.

-Don't trade for Butler unless money is even. No reason to give up pick and close the door on Hayward to bring in Butler.

-Definitely want Porzingis but Phil Jackson's asking price is outrageous.

-Tatum reminds me a little of Grant Hill.

STC Big Board:
1. Fultz
2. Tatum
3. Ball
4. Jackson
5. Fox
6. Monk

7 and beyond who cares.
NBA Draft tonight, very interested to see if the Celtics make any moves. Does Kawhi move? Do the Kings screw it up yet again? Will the Grizzlies make a mistake trading the 4th pick just to dump a bigger mistake in Chandler Parsons? Who will Orlando draft and ruin their career development?

Here is my top 10 big board that nobody asked for:
1. Marvin Bagley
2. DeAndre Ayton
3. Mo Bamba
4. Michael Porter Jr.
5. Trae Young
6. Luke Doncic
7. Collin Sexton
8. Kevin Knox
9. Jaren Jackson Jr.
10. Wendell Carter
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Grayson Allen to the C's???

ETA: Ptttthhhh.......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Love the Celts pick. Major, major upside for a role that they could really use.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Great pick by the Celtics. Need a rim protector and rebounder.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Quick! "Number of people that feel sorry for DeMar DeRozan"
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

My my...Jarrett Allen...looking like Coffee Black out there tonight!
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

The kid in Dallas is quite the player, isn't he? A treat to watch. Also Gocik (or however it's spelled) out in Denver is really good; incredible passing skills for a big. Count Giannis in there and you have three incredible young players all from Europe.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bembry is fortunate that Smart didn't catch him...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So...looks like just a $35K fine for Smart. Fortunate not to be suspended (would've been fine with it being a multi-gamer) - just can't act like that.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Marc Gasol is on the block can the Celts trade for him ?? We could use a big guy
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

reef wrote: 5 years ago Marc Gasol is on the block can the Celts trade for him ?? We could use a big guy
It would be very difficult to trade for any high-salary player. Gasol makes almost $25 million per season, so it's hard to match the money.

One option would be to have some sort of swap for Gasol and Horford, although I doubt either team considers that, it just works for monetary purposes.

The other is a deal featuring Smart's contract, something like Smart, Baynes, and Rozier would work from a monetary perspective as well, but would seem like an overpayment for a soon to be 34 year old injury-prone player with one year left on his contract.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Are the celts going to make a deal before the deadline ??
Who is Danny targeting or are we just going to try and make a run with this roster ???
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 5 years ago Are the celts going to make a deal before the deadline ??
Who is Danny targeting or are we just going to try and make a run with this roster ???
It wouldn't surprise me if they try to deal some of the depth for a future asset - the roster still seems too crowded to me. But I'm not sure if any teams are eager to help the Celtics out with that. Rozier seems like a guy that could really help one of the fringe playoff teams with an iffy point guard situation, but he's probably in the #20 to #30 range if he's a starting PG, so you still need an upgrade if you're a playoff team acquiring him.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

If anything, I think the team peels away talent, and hopefully will add a veteran who doesn't feel like they need that 25+ minutes.
The most underrated thing about GSW in their run is that they've relied on their depth at times, but a lot of those pieces have been older guys -- Iguodala and Livingston tops among them, but there are plenty of others.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It sure will be interesting to see what Danny does at the deadline.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Golden State beats Celtics in beantown for 10th straight.
Curry now with 46 consecutive FTs closing in on his personal record of 52 straight. His stroke is effortless.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was a really fun game to watch
0 x