I Can't Believe I Have To Write This - In Defense of Dan.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: I Can't Believe I Have To Write This - In Defense of Dan

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I don't think anyone's "giving up on Dan".
He's not the finished product many thought we were
getting.
He needs to let his players play, and stop coaching every play.
He needs to stop baiting the refs.
This has to be a distraction to the players, especially mentally.
Playing a real zone, not just in desperation, as a change of pace
or situational defense, is not a crime.
Having offense first players is not a crime.
Getting some help running the offense isn't a crime.
He's still a work in progress, and he is a pretty stubborn
guy. Something he will admit to.
Unfortunately, some here want to see everything
in black and white, with no shades of gray.
Nothing is perfect, but nothing is beyond repair, either.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

UCH21377 wrote:RF1 I think you hit the nail right on the head. Agree with you and Rod and RR on this. Does not mean I think Hurley can't be successful. I think he will be successful. I think he needs to trust his players a little more, let them play the game, not try to script every little thing, be just a little more relaxed. I think the constant intensity rubs off on the players, and he, and the kids, then tighten up in big spots. They need to trust their talent, and Dan needs to trust his players to make the plays.
Most of this I can agree with. I think the players do spend an inordinate amount of time looking at their coach for direction. He definitely is a control freak who's wound a little too tight, but I still like him.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rod, some of the funniest stuff to me is that, some of the points that are made in regards to DH are things he will admit to publicly, but not some of the folks here, some will just ignore and deny and excuse nearly every chance they get. And those folks almost always take any critique as a personal attack on DH, most of us really appreciate him and his work to this point, but shame on us for admitting his coaching skills are still being shaped and that he has things to work on himself. We all have things to work on if we want to be better at what we do, its reality.

I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist and that goes for Rod and many of the others willing to look at the program with a critical eye.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rhodysurf wrote:
Ram1019 wrote:My expectations for the season changed after EC went down as well, however, not to this extent. While I'm in no way blaming Dan for this season completely, I will simply remind everyone that when Ed Cooley lost Kris Dunn to injury before the start of the season, he promptly proceeded to win a Big East title. There were no excuses.

I think its a little far fetched to say that EC is the Tom Brady equivalency of this roster, however, I also agree this season's struggles lies within a multitude of issues (and not just coaching). I will continue to support this coach and team but I will also acknowledge there is a learning curve.
They had another senior guard in Bryce Cotton to step up. Our oldest candidates to step up and fill the void are sophomores.

What people don't realize PC has one player that averaged over 22 minutes a game last year. Anyone who does not think Cooley has done an incredible job this year is clueless. I happen to like Hurley but think he has under achieved with the talent URI has. I see a guy like Terrell who I personally do not think has improved very much from the day he stepped on campus. Martin is another guy whose game has sort of leveled off. I think if you gave Dan Hurley a lie detector test he would say he was disappointed in the job he has done this year.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good thread and discussion.

We have a great deal of talent on this team and we had superior talent on the floor last night. Unlike most of you I expected a W last night based on superior talent and superior coaching ( I think Kellogg is a stiff )

Good teams finish games. We lost due to our inability to complete the most basic of basketball plays, a rebound of a missed foul shot.

Once again we did not close despite doing many good things towards to securing a win.

This has happened over and over again this season.

Kool aid aside it is an opportunity for improvement.

When you get the same result over and over and over and over you fix it.

Let's start fixing it and finish strong.

CFL's teams quit I have yet to see any quit in this group which keeps me on the Hurley bandwagon.

But make no mistake about it I am growing tired of blown ball games.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I like Dan. I like Andrea. I like his kids.
This is NOT personal in any way, shape or form.
He's actually funny, and can be charming off
the court.
He remembers names of people. He looks you in the
eye when he talks.
He's accessible and ducks no question, no matter how
personal or ridiculous.
Let's back up and stop trying to make it like
some of us are trying to run him out of town.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I like Dan. I like Andrea. I like his kids.
This is NOT personal in any way, shape or form.
He's actually funny, and can be charming off
the court.
He remembers names of people. He looks you in the
eye when he talks.
He's accessible and ducks no question, no matter how
personal or ridiculous.
Let's back up and stop trying to make it like
some of us are trying to run him out of town.
Only one poster has suggested that, and he admits he was drunk when he said it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Good thread and discussion.

We have a great deal of talent on this team and we had superior talent on the floor last night. Unlike most of you I expected a W last night based on superior talent and superior coaching ( I think Kellogg is a stiff )

Good teams finish games. We lost due to our inability to complete the most basic of basketball plays, a rebound of a missed foul shot.

Once again we did not close despite doing many good things towards to securing a win.

This has happened over and over again this season.

Kool aid aside it is an opportunity for improvement.

When you get the same result over and over and over and over you fix it.

Let's start fixing it and finish strong.

CFL's teams quit I have yet to see any quit in this group which keeps me on the Hurley bandwagon.

But make no mistake about it I am growing tired of blown ball games.
Are we certain URI had better talent on the floor last night? I expected a win, too (surprise there, eh?) And, maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but outside of JT and HM not sure anyone else was (or at least 'played') really better last night than anyone UMess had?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Guess you missed Watson's season high 14 rebounds.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

We had wide open shots all night - looks one would expect the team with superior talent to have! Had Thompson and McGlynn even shot 30% we win going away.

The game last night is discussed in the other thread not my intention to poach this one.

Carry on!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Guess you missed Watson's season high 14 rebounds.
No, I saw those and am an Earl fan, but mentioned earlier...would've traded half those for a made layup or two. The rebounding effort was great, and I'll admit my perspective isn't always spot on...but, is it just me, or has his touch around the basket actually gotten worse?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TP...you're sure they'd be winning? Just like last year? You're a 100% confident that they'd be in the NCAA tournament this year with EC? Really? What is this belief based on? Based on last year? Based on the improvement of the players this year? Based on Hurley's improved coaching and adjustments he's made to his system?

I'm not saying URI wouldn't have made the NCAA tournament this year. But I would not be confident that they would've made it either.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Considering where the program was when Dan arrived, the program, even with this year setback, is in a better place. However, for me the focus on next year will be a game by game deal; show me. No more being swayed into being NCAA lock with totally unproven recruits, and EC back at what % etc. Earn the respect of the fan base back by building a game by game resume for tourney consideration. What we are next year will be the results of games against whatever sked we face.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ PMM and 105.....
+1 Totally fair...no one really knows.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

so next year with EC and everyone else back, besides Jarvis who has shown he can hit the deep ball somewhat consistently, who is our secondary deep threat? Do we have one? Also, do we have a back up point guard next year? Who is that? And besides Hass, who is going to do the duty under the basket in relief?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

rodfromcranston wrote:RR2 the new KING of Koolaide!
I thought I was done with Rhody ball and this board for as long as I could stay away. I come back and read this and wow i'm loving it.

Great stuff there.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Talking about PC, Cooley has had a player or more than 2 player elevate their game each year regardless of circumstances.

Not sure why Dan isn't .... Wait. .

This is ridiculous, this team has led many many games and choked most away. This team this year is beyond repair. There is no nitpicking.

Their losses hang around their necks like an anchor.

They must all return next year with lessons learned.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:so next year with EC and everyone else back, besides Jarvis who has shown he can hit the deep ball somewhat consistently, who is our secondary deep threat? Do we have one? Also, do we have a back up point guard next year? Who is that? And besides Hass, who is going to do the duty under the basket in relief?
Hopefully EC can improve on the deep ball a bit, and then Thompson as well has shown at times he can hit it. Would be nice to see a freshman to sophomore year jump from him in that regard. He has a good shot, might just be about confidence at this point. Dowtin coming in is also a pretty good shooter, but as a freshman who knows what he'll bring to the table.

Backup PG I would expect would be a combo of EC at times (not a great ballhandler but as a backup should suffice), and also Dowtin again, with the same freshman caveats in place. Maybe mix Thompson in a little here as well again. Might not be a bad idea to give him some time there this season and see how he handles it. Maybe they have in practice, I don't know. I'm not sure if Robinson would be able to play much PG. Not sure how great of a ballhandler he is.

Under the basket, it'll be Hass and the freshman I guess. Out of those guys Langevine seems to have the most potential, but again with freshman you don't know exactly how quickly they will be ready to contribute. Maybe a little more Berry if he continues to get in shape.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
theblueram wrote:so next year with EC and everyone else back, besides Jarvis who has shown he can hit the deep ball somewhat consistently, who is our secondary deep threat? Do we have one? Also, do we have a back up point guard next year? Who is that? And besides Hass, who is going to do the duty under the basket in relief?
Hopefully EC can improve on the deep ball a bit, and then Thompson as well has shown at times he can hit it. Would be nice to see a freshman to sophomore year jump from him in that regard. He has a good shot, might just be about confidence at this point. Dowtin coming in is also a pretty good shooter, but as a freshman who knows what he'll bring to the table.

Backup PG I would expect would be a combo of EC at times (not a great ballhandler but as a backup should suffice), and also Dowtin again, with the same freshman caveats in place. Maybe mix Thompson in a little here as well again. Might not be a bad idea to give him some time there this season and see how he handles it. Maybe they have in practice, I don't know. I'm not sure if Robinson would be able to play much PG. Not sure how great of a ballhandler he is.

Under the basket, it'll be Hass and the freshman I guess. Out of those guys Langevine seems to have the most potential, but again with freshman you don't know exactly how quickly they will be ready to contribute. Maybe a little more Berry if he continues to get in shape.
My thinking as well. Which leaves us short on perimeter, point and down low. Akele and CT need huge minutes going forward. At this point, it is what it is. You MUST play for next year and those two need to get up to top speed and gain some confidence.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote:
adam914 wrote:

My thinking as well. Which leaves us short on perimeter, point and down low. Akele and CT need huge minutes going forward. At this point, it is what it is. You MUST play for next year and those two need to get up to top speed and gain some confidence.
CT is not lacking confidence anymore Akele hasn't improved much which has been a letdown..We don't have a knockdown 3pt shooter but I wouldn't call us short on the perimeter EC , CT, Jarvis, Dowtin can all shoot...We have one of the better point guards in the league for the next 2 years not many players are going to want to come in and sit while Jarvis plays most of the game. As long as Jarvis is healthy we will be more then fine at point... The question mark is our bigs but for the first time in a while we actually will have some depth and potential there. Hurley said Layssard would be playing at a high major if we didn't get him early so I think he will contribute right away. Cyril is clearly loaded with potential but I think it will take time for him to breakout. Tertsea will be solid at D and with his size will help with rebounding. Berry has the touch on offense already and by next year I expect him to be in much better shape he clearly is a hard worker and I think he will be better than people think....This team will have plenty of talent on the roster next year question is can they go from being good to great
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd like to see Iverson add a little more muscle and he'd be a big help down low. He can be a good rebounder.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

There is alot of freshman in your post Stevey. Yes, EC and JG can knock em down. I don't buy the bull crap that because we have a good player no other good player would come here in that position. That's a load of horseshit. That lies on the coach. That is recruiting. I would bet the backup point guard at North Carolina is probably pretty good? Maybe? But he's not starting. Might even be a 4 * recruit.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

UNC is a bad example obviously a top high major will have great backups.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yes bad example. Dowtin/Thompson are both points.

Don't have to be short to be the point. Team needs another play maker regardless of position in next year's class. I know people associate that with a short guy that calls himself a pg but really any way that Hurley can get a playmaker than take it.

Another little point of Jarvis ability would be great but Jarvis is a stud. Get whoever can get it done.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

GBG and Rod (especially Rod) please do a favor for the vast majority of contributors to this board and become Friar fans and go to their board. Blue Man is right on and it could not be said better.
One question for Rod--can you explain to us what Cooley did in terms of player development for Cotton, Dunn and Bentil?
You are so in love with Cooley you really should become a Friar. Look what happened to them last night without Bentil for half the game against a woeful DePaul team. Believe me the PC half court offense is nothing to write home about even with one of the best point guards in the country.
Puh-leeze go........
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

There are areas in which Hurley needs to improve but, to me, player development is not high on the list. IMO, player development is 80% on the player. I’m sure Bentil’s improvement stems from his work ethic, maturity, awareness of strengths and weaknesses, intelligence, etc. and not because his coach is Cooley as opposed to Hurley. Plus Garrett’s anticipated development this year demonstrates that guys can improve under Hurley. I also think, looking at the season as a whole, Hurley’s sideline demeanor has slightly improved although improvement is still needed.

My main concern is Hurley’s ability to adapt to unanticipated circumstances. While this applies to season long events (EC injury), I’m talking about the more common occurrence: in-game variables (refs, injuries, hot shooter, cold shooter, opponent pressing, etc.). As an example, we always give preference to ball security and structure (especially with small leads late in games) over aggressiveness and freedom. Great coaches have a knack for foreseeing a bad result and are able impact the outcome by going against traditional thinking and/or ripping up a game plan before its too late. I think this knack is part instinct (which I believe Hurley has) and part confidence (which I believe Hurley has lacked since losing EC).
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ellie, do me a favor.
Go take a shit, you trolling worm.
All you do is take your flaccid little bitch slaps at me.
You bring nothing to the table, ever.
Never ONE piece of information.
All you post is little snipes. Asshole.
Attachments
douche.jpg
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

You deserve each and every bitch slap.
Andy's 80% estimate is probably about right.
I am still waiting for you to tell us all about Cooley's player development skills.
And you have no comment about the DePaul loss last night?
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Rod has followed URI for decades and knows the in and outsmom the program very well. He need not be harassed by newbies. We're all frustrated ...I lowered my expectations after EC got hurt. But that to NIT. I didn't expect the collapses late in games and breakdown in fundamentals (missing a rebound last night that might have cinched a win).
,Rod is right. Cooley is a more successful coach, the school spends a lot on the program and it plays in a name conference. He should be doing well.
I'm counting on this year being anomalous for URI. I'll watch the rest of this year and gear up for next.
A disappointing season, but I've seen a few. There's talent there for next year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You are an ass.
Like I care if PC loses.
Troll.
Attachments
ass.jpg
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Sorry I forgot one other thing Rod. Other than some historical URI bball history WTF do you bring to the table that is meaningful?
Believe me I am far from a "newbie".
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Funny, you fucking hypocrite,
YOU have asked me for information on
recruiting on the recruiting board.
I've brought plenty of information on
the program over the years.
You have brought jack shit.
You pulled your little girly act during the
summer,and posters buried you.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Relax Eli
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

This board is becoming unreadable. Might be time for a break for me.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

eli#10 wrote:GBG and Rod (especially Rod) please do a favor for the vast majority of contributors to this board and become Friar fans and go to their board. Blue Man is right on and it could not be said better.
One question for Rod--can you explain to us what Cooley did in terms of player development for Cotton, Dunn and Bentil?
You are so in love with Cooley you really should become a Friar. Look what happened to them last night without Bentil for half the game against a woeful DePaul team. Believe me the PC half court offense is nothing to write home about even with one of the best point guards in the country.
Puh-leeze go........

I'd like you to find another PC comment I have ever made. I referenced Bentil because it's a great comp for what I thought HM would turn into and I think coaching has a lot to do with it. Blue Man's treatise on excuses is not right on. You don't chalk up a season to "lost" nine minutes in. The 2001 Pats were coming off a 5-11 season and then Mo Lewis obliterated the franchise QB. Glad no one gave up. It was awful nice of the Lakers to not call it quits when Jabbar rolled his ankle when the series was 2-2 in 1980. That dopey coach put a rookie guard at center. It's called coaching. There are hundreds of examples. And if you don't think losing close game after close game over four years is an example of a coaching issue, I don't even know what to say. Love Blue Man's passion but, wow, I could not disagree more with it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Our 3pt shooting @ UMass was truly horrible, but URI entered that game #1 in A10 Conf Play in 3pt shooting and now is #3 despite going 3-19 3FG.

The top two 3pt shooters in A10 conf play are ON OUR TEAM, and both were injured and OUT for UMass.
Attachments
3pt.jpg
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Just this week Louisville got dusted and then knocked UNC off within 48 hours.

What have we done this year relative to that. That would be like getting dusted by Bonnies and turning around to knock off Dayton/VCU.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RAM67 wrote:Speaking of Bentil, as several have mentioned here, even Cooley was stunned by his play, and admitted that he was only a piece going into the season. This is not to detract from either Cooley or Bentil, but some athletes, Cotton and Bentil if we're talking PC came out of nowhere, even surprising their coach.
PC has a new thread where they are now comparing players from the past that have shown the most improvement from one year to the next. Pretty interesting thread. Bentil is the reason for the thread being created as they are so amazed at his improvement.
The Big East Coaches did not see Bentil coming like he has....was not even Honorable Mention but now being talked about for POY which everyone in the BE and the Nation thought was a slam dunk for Dunn - that is how amazing a season Bentil is having. Leads the BE in Scoring with 20.9 ppg, 6th in rebounding with 7.5 rpg, 7th in FT% with 86.4%, 9th in Blocks with 1.1 bpg, 1st in offensive rebounds with 3.4 rpg

Big East
Preseason Coaches Predictions were:

POY: Dunn (hands down)
Rookie of Year: Jalen Brunson - Villanova
1st team
Kellen Dunham - Butler
Roosevelt Jones - Butler
D'Vauntes Smith-Riviera - Georgetown
Ryan Arcidiacono - Villanova
Jalen Reynolds - Xavier
2nd Team
Billy Garrett Jr - DePaul
Henry Ellenson - Marquette
Angel Delgado - Seton Hall
Isaiah Whitehead - Seton Hall
Daniel Ochefu - Villanova
Honorable Mention
Isaac Copeland - Georgetown
Luke Fischer - Marquette
Jalen Brunson - Villanova
Trevon Bluiett - Xavier

Not sure how Ellenson makes 2nd team and Brunson makes Honorable Mention yet Brunson gets Rookie of the Year :roll: :roll: both Ellenson and Brunson are Freshmen so go figure.

I did not expect Bentil to improve this much, this fast. He played Soccer and Basketball in HS in Delaware. Interesting that his favorite team is not even a Basketball Team, it's Manchester United.

Another big improvement BE guy is another Soph, Kelan Martin of Butler. He is 5th in Scoring 17.2ppg, 7th in rebounding 7.4 rpg. He was not picked on any preseason team either.

Ellenson should easily win Rookie of Year over Brunson as he is 11th in scoring 15.5ppg, 1st in rebounding 10.0 rpg and 2nd in blocks 2.4 bpg
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Ugh URI sucks. This year has taken a toll on my Rhody spirit.

Think Im moving back though. Season tickets!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Ugh URI sucks. This year has taken a toll on my Rhody spirit.
Think Im moving back though. Season tickets!
Moving back from where? Here are some positives for ya...................
We still have the rest of the season, then A10 Tournament.
Next year we should have the 2nd best recruiting class in the A10, UMASS 1st. But when it all plays out maybe our Class ends up better than UMASS.
Very Veteran Starting Team:
EC Mathews and Hassan Martin both in their 4th years. Both were picked 1st team all A10 as Juniors.
Terrell and Garrett will be Juniors
Iverson in his 3rd year of College
A lot of experience
Thompson, Akele, Berry will be Sophs competing for playing time and providing practice competition and game depth
Robinson competing for playing time in his 3rd year of college
Jeff Dowtin, combination guard who shoots the 3 well, passes extremely well, loves the open court, good height, long arms, excellent defensive player from the current #7 ranked HS team in the Nation!!
Langevine, Tertsea and Layssard are 3 big men who will push for playing time in their first year, will play hard in practices, will give this team good quality depth and help foundation for the years to come

Kool-Aid anyone? :D :D :D
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Lime green plz!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote:Lime green plz!
any flavor you want :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Lime green plz!
any flavor you want :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ol' hrstrat57 is expecting top 10

Hooooo waaaaaaaa more bug juice plz!!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Another point to keep in mind for next year:

URI, for the first time in many years, should have a full roster of eligible players next season. There will be no transfers sitting out a year (aka Robinson, Reichel, Minnis). Hopefully no players leave at the last minute tying up an open scholarship (aka Iffy, Hare, and Powell). Hopefully no players get hurt and sit out (aka Mathews). There should finally be some depth provided we don't have any more unexpected issues (we have to be due for some good luck at some point given what we have endured).
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Comparing URI hoops to Lakers, Pats and Louisville? I'm missing something.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:Another :shock: pint to keep in mind for next year:

URI, for the first time in many years, should have a full roster of eligible players next season. There will be no transfers sitting out a year (aka Robinson, Reichel, Minnis). Hopefully no players leave at the last minute tying up an open scholarship (aka Iffy, Hare, and Powell). Hopefully no players get hurt and sit out (aka Mathews). There should finally be some depth provided we don't have any more unexpected issues (we have to be due for some good luck at some point given what we have endured).
We can serve Kool-Aid by the pint :D :D if next season has issues we might need to down some pints at the local pub UK style

No seriously, you bring up a good point.
I think 208 might disagree as he likely thinks that more lineup changes will occur, ie transfers, the unexpected, etc. Don't expect any issues with grades either. The guys are hard workers, smart and conscientious.

But considering no transfers to sit out next year should be very interesting
Especially when you consider some of the key players that other A10 teams will lose.
We will basically start 2 Seniors and 3 Juniors - unless some surprises come from the transfers, current players or freshmen in challenging for starting positions. I don't want to guarantee anything as far as the starting line up is concerned.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There are 2 very opposite point of views on this board.

And nobody is budging.

I'm not going to give my opinions, they are too well known anyway :P

I just about checked out last night, when I got into a head on collision with a women who lost control of her car in the rain.

I have got more bruises and broken ribs than I care to count. Just breathing is a major effort. It's a miracle I'm even around to type this.

There are a lot of things more important then getting into pissing matches on this board.

So you'll see a very toned down version of me for a while.

Have at it boys, I'll be watching from the couch.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:TP...you're sure they'd be winning? Just like last year? You're a 100% confident that they'd be in the NCAA tournament this year with EC? Really? What is this belief based on? Based on last year? Based on the improvement of the players this year? Based on Hurley's improved coaching and adjustments he's made to his system?

I'm not saying URI wouldn't have made the NCAA tournament this year. But I would not be confident that they would've made it either.
I'm pretty sure, yeah. My belief is based on the fact that eight of our losses have been two possession affairs. That is one defensive stop and one converted offensive possession from flipping the result. With EC out, it not only takes him off the court for 30+ minutes per night, it puts Four on the court for 20-25 minutes more than he should be playing and shortens your bench in the process. So I just don't think it is unreasonable to think that adding the best offensive player on the team back onto the court for 30 minutes could mean at least one more converted offensive possession, or that taking a defensive liability off the court for 20-25 minutes could mean at least one more defensive stop (our adjusted defensive efficiency is about 5.5 points per 100 possessions worse than last year). And that isn't even considering all the harder to quantify benefits of not losing EC, like guys playing the roles they prepared for, not losing whatever morale was lost when he went down, etc. I realize it is not as simple as saying you add one guy back and everything would play out the same except you get the benefit of having your best player on two possessions. It would change many things about those games, so maybe we don't win all eight. But I think we'd have won most of them.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Take care of yourself, Rambone
and get well, soon.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thanks Rod.

My visits to this board will be short for a while.

Better for my health, and sanity.
0 x