A-10 refs for URI Games Poll

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Do you think A-10 Refs are taking it out on Hurley with how they call URI games?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

YES
83%
NO
17%

Total votes: 52

RF1
Ernie Calverley

A-10 refs for URI Games Poll

Unread post by RF1 »

The officiating of URI A-10 league games is a point of major concern. URI's opponents are doubling up Rhody on the road in FT attempts through three games and have even gotten to the line more through five games at the Ryan Center. Coach Hurley is known for really riding the refs during games. Do you think the refs are getting their payback by the way they are now calling A-10 league games involving URI?

URI A-10 HOME GAMES FT STATS
LASALLE | 11 - 15 | URI | 18 - 21
RICH | 10 - 18 | URI | 13 - 18
SLU | 16 - 23 | URI | 17 - 21
FORDHAM | 12 - 19 | URI | 17 - 23
SJU | 23 - 28 | URI | 11 - 15
OPP | 72 - 103 | URI | 76 - 98
AVG | 14 - 21 | URI | 15 - 20

URI A-10 ROAD GAMES FT STATS
GW | 25 - 30 | URI | 6 - 11
SBU | 26 - 31 | URI | 10 - 15
SJU | 15 - 23 | URI | 12 - 15
OPP | 66 - 84 | URI | 28 - 41
AVG | 22 - 28 | URI | 9 - 14

COMBINED URI A-10 HOME AND AWAY FT STATS (5 HOME GAMES/3 ROAD GAMES)
OPP | 138 - 187 | URI | 104 - 139
AVG | 17 - 23 | URI | 13 - 17
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: A-10 refs for URI Games Poll

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah it's now out of control.

The A10 has to step in, and put a stop to it, however they can.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yes, his questioning/complaining about every call, contact and no call etc Is over the top....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thorr and Dooley have to put a stop to it. Now, or we won't have any players left to play.

Same going forward. If this crap continues, it won't matter how much talent we have. The refs will foul them all out.....

Dan needs to be sat down and read the riot act. Then they have to meet with the A10, and try to put a stop to it.

The rest of the league hates us. With good reason.

And if any smart guys question me on this, just read the other teams' boards.

The football team has been an embarrassment for many years. Now the basketball program too?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We used to be worried that URI never gets the key call late in a close game.

Now, we don't get any calls, all game. That's what it's come down to.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Are the refs used for the A-10 games generally different from what URI saw in the OOC? It seems the league games are being called very differently.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Someone said we're getting shitty refs due to Dan's issues.

I don't know if that's true though.

We used to have a problem with just one ref most games.

Now they are all piling on.

Dan needs to get tossed early, when he starts his act.

Then maybe things will settle down, and Rhody will get a fair shake from then on.

Can't hurt.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I hate blaming refs on losses and its not just their fault but in all my 28 years watching this team I have never seen such one sided games. We are ALWAYS in foul trouble. Thorr and Dooley have to step up here.. We have a game on ESPN 2 at home against Dayton I say we try to get everyone to write on a big board that the refs are screwing us. If it's all over the stadium no chance people won't notice.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Someone said we're getting shitty refs due to Dan's issues.

I don't know if that's true though.

We used to have a problem with just one ref most games.

Now they are all piling on.

Dan needs to get tossed early, when he starts his act.

Then maybe things will settle down, and Rhody will get a fair shake from then on.

Can't hurt.
I would love to have Dan just relax one game and only yell at the obvious bad call and take a seat. Who knows maybe the refs will be on our side for once...obviously that's not who he is and I love how passionate he is but if these things don't stop he has to realize he needs to calm down...be passionate with the players, be passionate at practice, but be smart with the refs..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

At some point, if things keep going this way, I would expect someone to take notice.

Last night's abomination was on CBSSN. I know not a lot of people watch that, but enough....

Dan's reputation as a screamer must be spreading as we speak. Not good for him, or us.

There's a reason the refs are screwing us. I don't think the coach realizes yet that he's the reason.

And until he does, what's going to change?
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

We are all asking Dan to calm down, but these refs are paid to officiate the game in a fair manner. It is their responsibility to create an environment that is neutral to both teams and safe for all players, regardless of the antics of the coach. Anyone who was at the game last night would have to recognize that was not the case last night. In two instances you had flagrant fouls called, that weren't even called fouls before going to the monitors, yet touch fouls were called from across the court. If memory serves me, the ref that was standing next to the Garett play did not call that obvious foul, but called the foul on Christion. Also, someone will need to enlighten me on the rule that was used to confirm the foul on Christion, that would not have happened if the foul to Garrett was called in the first place. I can see a deliberate foul after a foul, but having the foul on Christion stand, after essentially admitting to your mistake, punishes the wrong team. We played like crap, but so didn't St Joes, but the difference was they were rewarded for their aggressiveness, and we weren't. I think Bembrey is a good player, but he gets away with murder on both ends of the court and last night he should have been fouled out before Hassan.
This was a 9pt game that could have resulted in a Ram win with better officiating. There were so many bad calls last night, that for the first time ever, I almost got up and left the game not because of our poor play, but because of the refs who set the tone of the game. I am a homer, and I do question every call like Dan, but this is just getting out of hand. One last thing. Hassan did not foul out last night, the refs fouled him out.
0 x
Victorino
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Victorino »

Does anyone know of email address to address our complaints to A10 commissioner. Refs are out of control. Refs can toss Hurley, but they shouldn't be taking it out on our players and fans. Also, what are the names of last nights refs.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Victorino wrote:Does anyone know of email address to address our complaints to A10 commissioner. Refs are out of control. Refs can toss Hurley, but they shouldn't be taking it out on our players and fans. Also, what are the names of last nights refs.

0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

steveystuds06 wrote:I hate blaming refs on losses and its not just their fault but in all my 28 years watching this team I have never seen such one sided games. We are ALWAYS in foul trouble. Thorr and Dooley have to step up here.. We have a game on ESPN 2 at home against Dayton I say we try to get everyone to write on a big board that the refs are screwing us. If it's all over the stadium no chance people won't notice.
We're ALWAYS in foul trouble mostly because we dont know how to play defense without fouling. Yes, the officiating is horrible in the A10, but why is it that URI is the team who is having the most difficulty with the officiating? Good coaches overcome poor officiating.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

DAN NEESS TO REALIZE THAT "YOU CATCH MORE FLYS WITH HONEY THAN PEANUT BUTTER"
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The A10 Commissioner was already at last night's game.

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I don't know if Dan does this, but smart coaches who want to get an edge fro officials
talk to them before the game begins. They can suggest that they have seen opponents
players that have certain tendencies tha tshould be watched ie. Bembry tends to take an
extra step and picks up the ball earlyon the way to the rim or Miles likes to hook his defender
or Brown grabs or Bembry travels on his spin move. Or so and so likes to use his free arm to
push the defender away. The coach needs to put those thoughts in
the minds of officials so that they are unconsciously watching for them to happen
. Probably all players get away with these types of things, but if the refs are expecting to see
it they automatically pick them up and make the calls. Probably after the first couple of compplaints
during a game further complaining is futile and the refs feel like you are complaining just to complain.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

here is what the mac is doing about poor officiating.
http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-basketbal ... basketball
mac suspended two refs. but the comments by the coach of eastern Michigan are interesting
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't have a lot of faith that the CYO operating style management team of the A-10 will address the issue. They have let it fester up to the half way point of the league schedule. I don't think they even care that two of our players got sent to the hospital last night. If this happened to Dayton or one of the VA/DC or Philly teams, there would already have been immediate action. Rhody is not and never has been one of the CHOSEN teams in the A-10.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Shinze88 wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:I hate blaming refs on losses and its not just their fault but in all my 28 years watching this team I have never seen such one sided games. We are ALWAYS in foul trouble. Thorr and Dooley have to step up here.. We have a game on ESPN 2 at home against Dayton I say we try to get everyone to write on a big board that the refs are screwing us. If it's all over the stadium no chance people won't notice.
We're ALWAYS in foul trouble mostly because we dont know how to play defense without fouling. Yes, the officiating is horrible in the A10, but why is it that URI is the team who is having the most difficulty with the officiating? Good coaches overcome poor officiating.
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember Hassan Martin and Jared Terrell being in so much foul trouble last year and those are our two best defenders. I just don't buy that they don't know how to play defense without fouling because I've seen them play defense without fouling before. Our new guys fine you can say that.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Love what the MAC is doing, but this is so very rare. Coaches, including our own, have the same feeling as the one whose team was hurt by the intentional swallowing of whistles in that 2OT game.

I know our coaching staff feels the same way as EMU's does....

EMU Head Coach, Rob Murphy:
"The problem is there's no accountability. I can send it in and talk to the head of officials but nothing will happen. It'll be the same guys you see on the next game doing the same exact thing."
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

On my way home from the URI game the other night, I was bouncing around on the radio and happened to get the PC/Georgetown game. Hassett and Rooke were screaming about the refs and how bad they were.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:On my way home from the URI game the other night, I was bouncing around on the radio and happened to get the PC/Georgetown game. Hassett and Rooke were screaming about the refs and how bad they were.
This thread on the PC Board sums it up. Bancroft posted a tweet complaining about the refs but the majority of PC posters felt the officiating was fine.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=425&f=1323&t=14510067
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

In my opinion, it's a three headed beast. Some of it Hurley brings on himself with his constant harping. Refs either tune him out or worse. The worse is the problem. Some of it is that the Rhody defense just hasn't adjusted to the way the games are being called. You can kill people inside, but that hand check, ticky tacky touch stuff outside has getting called all year and I haven't seen an adjustment from Dan. They just keep doing the same things and getting the same result. Number 3 is just bad reffing. This year might be the worst I've seen at anytime and not just at the Ryan, all over the country. The is absolutely no freaking consistency from game to game or even half to half.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agree about the lack of adjustments of defense, about the hand checking.

I remember someone's post from last year, that teams were practicing playing man defense with their arms down, and concentrating on keeping their feet in front of the offensive player, instead of using their hands.

That's in response to the new rules of course. Maybe Dan didn't get that memo.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Obviously, it's not just one thing causing these problems.
Refs stink. Rules keep changing. It leads to inconsistent calls.
Dan's unending screaming from opening tap, is pouring gasoline on the fire.
Nobody wants to be nagged and yelled at for 40 minutes.
It's too much like being married.
Human nature says the refs decide, "Screw this loony! He's not getting
any 50-50 calls".
Sure we got guys hurt Saturday, but that was an anomaly.
The rest of Dan vs. refs happens every game.
The scene in Cancun against Maryland was hard to watch.
These meltdowns on national TV cannot be good for Dan,
the program, or the school's image.
The saga continues.....
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

My wife called the A 10 and spoke to the head of basketball operations. And surprise
he just happens to be from Philadelphia and he watched the game. His take on it was
the officials have to do their job, but coaches have to control their players. And he
said if any action is taken by the league to discipline officials it is their policy not to
announce it. I like that the MAC had no problem announcing it. That is much more
effective. If the refs stink, they should suffer the public embarrassment. There were
so many no calls against SJU including one in the first half where Iverson was pulled
down from behind where URI retained possession and a couple of clear offensive fouls on Bembry
that were called the other way and Watson under the basket at least three times on
attempted put backs. At one point while this was going on in the first half, SJU had just
one foul for about the first 10 minutes and URI had 6 because of many no calls against SJU.
I don't believe Hurley has anything to do with the officiating being biased. I think URI is not
yet seen as a league power and the officials lean toward the established league powers. Right
now VCU and SJU are getting the calls this year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yes, the rest of the A10 hates Dan. Their fans hate him.

Just about everybody can't stand DH. Even some of our own fans are turning on him.

Has anything like this happened in our program's history?

All coaches complain about calls. Ours takes it to another level.

When refs become biased because of it, it's time to stop it. Now.

We will lose games going forward because of it, even games where we play relatively well.

When you combine this with a pathetic shooting night, this is what you get.

And this was at home, no less. luke, again, this was at home. No way should they have been favoring the road team like that.

The officials crossed the line. It was so one sided, it had to be biased. It's more than just being bad at their job.

For this, they should be suspended, and it be made public. If necessary, people should go to the press. Someone will run with it, hopefully.

The A10 should be embarrassed. If they won't do anything, it should be done for them.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Ron, I agree 100%
Yes, the elbow to KI should have lead to an ejection. Yes, the refs are noticeably worse this season. But the problem is made so much worse by Dan's over the top emotional outbursts, which I fear are becoming a joke in the b ball world.
I am a fan of Danny but cringe each and every game I see. I am not in RI so everything is on TV. He looks like a lunatic on every call. CBS, NBC, ASN, ESPN all keep a camera on him all the time now(Cox not so much). The announcers all talk about it.
Every ref knows this, and like Peter crying wolf they are tuning him out. I am not saying the refs are right, but that is human nature. Some posters on other threads say that other coaches go crazy, but then they mention people who have won multiple national titles in conferences that stir the drink for the networks. Like it or not, that is a bad comparison .
Even when he is calling to a ref when he looks "cooled off" it comes across as sarcastic to me. Bottom line is he can act how he wants, but I would not be surprised if he got into a physical confrontation with a ref or fan. I also worry about his physical health.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramtastico, my solution to try and force Dan to change?

Toss him. Early and often. It's actually amazing they don't.

Then the games can settle down, and not become a freak show for 2 hours. Let's see what Cox can do. Maybe it will even relieve the pressure on our own players?

If DH can't get with the program, then let the games go on without him.

If he can't figure it out even then? Then it's even worse than we thought.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Bone you and others have said that the Rams wouldn't have won regardless of the officiating, yet agree that it was abysmal. I'm one of the few who think we could have won that game with even the slightest fairness in the calls. A 9 point game, is only a couple of basket swing. We played horribly and our shooting was way off, but St Joes were just as bad and even worse in some statistics. Someone said they came to play and were prepared and we weren't. They sucked just as bad as we did, and the officiating is the only reason they won.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We were down 20 at one point in the second half. The game would have probably played out differently if it had been close at the end. And you know what I mean by that, with our record in close games.

Yes Joes was bad, but with the team at 15% for the game except for JG and JT, that made the Hawks look good by comparison.

If we could have made just a few more shots, and the refs were fair, then there was a chance.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Bembry had a legit 8 fouls. Call them and it's a different game.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Do you think Iverson getting knocked out early in the second half played a part in that 4-5 minutes that Joes built that lead?
Do you think if the Refs were calling a clean game, that the flagrant foul would still have occurred?
Do you think that the two phantom fouls on Hassan had a significant outcome on the game?
Do you think that the Thompson foul after Garretts flagrant should have still been called?
Do you think that the obvious charging fouls that were called blocking instead, had an impact on the game?
I can blame Dan for getting a little too emotional Saturday, but if you have to beg the ref to let you go check on an unconscious player
I would have lost it a lot worse than Dan.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Not just the non fouls, but how about the travelling? By the way, calling a palming violation against a player who was off to the side without confrontation, was as bush as it gets. They all carry the ball.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we get this same kind of officiating again, there has to be an investigation.

Somehow, some way. And it needs to go public. The A10 should be called on the carpet if it happens.

Of course it will put the spotlight on Dan's behavior even more, but whatever it takes to fix both problems.

The chicken or the egg? Both have to be addressed.

The calls and emails to the A10 are fine, but if they are the problem, then it needs to go further.

Hey, someone call Stephen A. Smith at ESPN, and show him the tape of the St. Joes game.

That's a rant I'd like to see and hear.
0 x
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

Obviously we all can agree that the officiating was not great on Saturday, but when you score 19 points in a Division 1 half you have no business winning.

I want to stress that I love the players and passion that Dan Hurley brings to Rhode Island, but his ref management has been horrendous. There's no excuse for him arguing literally every single call of the game. I've been intentionally watching him after every whistle is blown and there are very few circumstances where he nods his head and agrees with the call. I know if I were a ref and happened to see that the next game I was assigned to was a URI game I would be stressed before the game even starts. "Oh great, I get to get yelled at every time I try to do my job and blow the whistle." I agree with working a ref, but there are positive ways that it can be done outside of trying to ride them right out of the gym before the game even starts.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

MegaRamFan2 wrote:Obviously we all can agree that the officiating was not great on Saturday, but when you score 19 points in a Division 1 half you have no business winning.
couldn't agree more.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What's really distressing, is that there isn't just one problem this team is facing.

It's several. No easy fixes on the horizon, either.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I get players have bad games, but that is why they play on a team. Others make up the slack. But to have 4 players go 0-fer? That is just some serious bad juju.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:I get players have bad games, but that is why they play on a team. Others make up the slack. But to have 4 players go 0-fer? That is just some serious bad juju.
Yeah it sure wasn't pretty.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Add CT's 1-5 and KI's 3-10, and you've got 3/4 of the team at 15% for the game.

Oh, and Berry was 1-1.

JV teams shoot it better than that. Wait, I meant grade school teams.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Coach K would have had the walk-ons playing and benched the team. You can bet that is for sure.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think our problem is we have what you call "occasional" talent.

That is, some days they make shots. Other days, not.

Saturday, none of them made shots, except for JG and JT.

Consistency is not one of this team's strong suits.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

RAM67 wrote:We are all asking Dan to calm down, but these refs are paid to officiate the game in a fair manner. It is their responsibility to create an environment that is neutral to both teams and safe for all players, regardless of the antics of the coach. Anyone who was at the game last night would have to recognize that was not the case last night. In two instances you had flagrant fouls called, that weren't even called fouls before going to the monitors, yet touch fouls were called from across the court. If memory serves me, the ref that was standing next to the Garett play did not call that obvious foul, but called the foul on Christion. Also, someone will need to enlighten me on the rule that was used to confirm the foul on Christion, that would not have happened if the foul to Garrett was called in the first place. I can see a deliberate foul after a foul, but having the foul on Christion stand, after essentially admitting to your mistake, punishes the wrong team. We played like crap, but so didn't St Joes, but the difference was they were rewarded for their aggressiveness, and we weren't. I think Bembrey is a good player, but he gets away with murder on both ends of the court and last night he should have been fouled out before Hassan.
This was a 9pt game that could have resulted in a Ram win with better officiating. There were so many bad calls last night, that for the first time ever, I almost got up and left the game not because of our poor play, but because of the refs who set the tone of the game. I am a homer, and I do question every call like Dan, but this is just getting out of hand. One last thing. Hassan did not foul out last night, the refs fouled him out.
Absolutely spot on. If I recall correctly URI was about 13 minutes into the St. Joes game and St. Joes only had 1 foul. Even Steve McDonald said on the radio show that it was unrealistic (paraphrasing). Any coach would be losing their cool at that point. During the first four minutes I watched as Earl Watson got hammered down low with zero calls to show for it, but Hassan got two quick ones (first one was Has's fault, second was completely bogus). I haven't looked at the statistics, but it appears to me that Rhody gets shafted the most by the refs when it's a game against tough competition. It's almost like there is a complete lack of respect for URI from the start. Rhody started well against St. Joe's by leading 4-0 and then the whistles blowing in favor of St. Joe's never stopped. Personally, I know URI didn't play well in the game as well, but it truly makes me wonder if this was a chicken and egg situation. What came first? Did Rhody's poor play lead to lack of respect from the officials? OR Did the lack of respect from the officials affect the mentality of the URI players, which led to poor shooting? It can be tough to get going when you feels like you're playing 5 vs. 8 due to the 3 guys in the striped shirts piling on the fouls for St. Joes.
I'm really surprised they removed their lips from Martelli's butt cheeks long enough to even call the flagrant fouls that they did (and they did it begrudgingly when the crowd/fans started losing their minds).
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

luke wrote:My wife called the A 10 and spoke to the head of basketball operations. And surprise
he just happens to be from Philadelphia and he watched the game. His take on it was
the officials have to do their job, but coaches have to control their players. And he
said if any action is taken by the league to discipline officials it is their policy not to
announce it. I like that the MAC had no problem announcing it. That is much more
effective. If the refs stink, they should suffer the public embarrassment. There were
so many no calls against SJU including one in the first half where Iverson was pulled
down from behind where URI retained possession and a couple of clear offensive fouls on Bembry
that were called the other way and Watson under the basket at least three times on
attempted put backs. At one point while this was going on in the first half, SJU had just
one foul for about the first 10 minutes and URI had 6 because of many no calls against SJU.
I don't believe Hurley has anything to do with the officiating being biased. I think URI is not
yet seen as a league power and the officials lean toward the established league powers. Right
now VCU and SJU are getting the calls this year.
IF the head of officiating watched the whole game, he should be ashamed of himself. That was absolutely horrible. Dan is 100% justified in being outraged during that game.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:We were down 20 at one point in the second half. The game would have probably played out differently if it had been close at the end. And you know what I mean by that, with our record in close games.

Yes Joes was bad, but with the team at 15% for the game except for JG and JT, that made the Hawks look good by comparison.

If we could have made just a few more shots, and the refs were fair, then there was a chance.
URI cut it to 7 early in the second half when a couple of the lopsided calls occurred. Next thing you know, it's up to 15 points again, then onto 20. If the refs are actually calling consistently, then that 7 point lead maybe goes to 3 or 1 and we have a ball game.

That said, URI didn't do themselves any favors by rushing shots and missing bunnies. But again, some of the stuff called against URI (travels and fouls) were called differently for St. Joe's.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

The Dude wrote:
RAM67 wrote:We are all asking Dan to calm down, but these refs are paid to officiate the game in a fair manner. It is their responsibility to create an environment that is neutral to both teams and safe for all players, regardless of the antics of the coach. Anyone who was at the game last night would have to recognize that was not the case last night. In two instances you had flagrant fouls called, that weren't even called fouls before going to the monitors, yet touch fouls were called from across the court. If memory serves me, the ref that was standing next to the Garett play did not call that obvious foul, but called the foul on Christion. Also, someone will need to enlighten me on the rule that was used to confirm the foul on Christion, that would not have happened if the foul to Garrett was called in the first place. I can see a deliberate foul after a foul, but having the foul on Christion stand, after essentially admitting to your mistake, punishes the wrong team. We played like crap, but so didn't St Joes, but the difference was they were rewarded for their aggressiveness, and we weren't. I think Bembrey is a good player, but he gets away with murder on both ends of the court and last night he should have been fouled out before Hassan.
Absolutely spot on. If I recall correctly URI was about 13 minutes into the St. Joes game and St. Joes only had 1 foul. Even Steve McDonald said on the radio show that it was unrealistic (paraphrasing). Any coach would be losing their cool at that point. During the first four minutes I watched as Earl Watson got hammered down low with zero calls to show for it, but Hassan got two quick ones (first one was Has's fault, second was completely bogus). I haven't looked at the statistics, but it appears to me that Rhody gets shafted the most by the refs when it's a game against tough competition. It's almost like there is a complete lack of respect for URI from the start. Rhody started well against St. Joe's by leading 4-0 and then the whistles blowing in favor of St. Joe's never stopped. Personally, I know URI didn't play well in the game as well, but it truly makes me wonder if this was a chicken and egg situation. What came first? Did Rhody's poor play lead to lack of respect from the officials? OR Did the lack of respect from the officials affect the mentality of the URI players, which led to poor shooting? It can be tough to get going when you feels like you're playing 5 vs. 8 due to the 3 guys in the striped shirts piling on the fouls for St. Joes.
I'm really surprised they removed their lips from Martelli's butt cheeks long enough to even call the flagrant fouls that they did (and they did it begrudgingly when the crowd/fans started losing their minds).
+1 zillion!

I'll tell you what, I always root for A10 teams out of conference and in the Tourney, but Martelli in general (and for my own piece of mind I purposely avoided reading anything of this game other than to check on the health of Iverson and Garrett), is an absolute ass. I find it more and more difficult to root for St. Joe's in the tourney or non conference with each passing year. The guy doesn't even stick up for his own conference half the time.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Most of the fouls where the calls seem unfair, are player control fouls in the paint......players fouling shooter.

Our shorter lineup is getting fouled while shooting, many times with no calls.

I have to disagree with some posters as to the style of play by St. Joe.
They play good defense with a lot of switching, and run a motion offense with many soft screens.
I do not see them as a "dirty" team. The fouls to Garret and Iverson were accidental.
.....If you want to see dirty play, watch St. L and St. B play in person.
0 x