Hurley quote

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Hurley quote

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hurley's quotes lately aren't as upbeat and positive as they were month or so ago. I'm sure this losing is eating him alive. Anyway, I wonder if today's tweet was just a general statement or if it was directed at someone in particular...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Hurley quote

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hmm, I can think of a couple or three guys this could have been meant for.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

He has to be getting frustrated. His team has been very close to a win in many games but they just can't seem to put it all together. Given how intense he is, it must be eating him up inside. Unfortunately it is probably not going to get much better with this group and I think he is realizing that. I hope Dan can keep his head up and focus on the big picture which is the future, not wins and losses this season.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

seems like someone on Rhody is plating the role of Bilal Dixon or Gerard Coleman
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think, (only guessing) Nik and Malone would be the main culprits,
especially Nik.
Fortunately, they'll be gone, as will Brooks.
Who plays and stays, for next year, will be determined by
the rest of the season's play.
I have to think, that as much as everyone likes TJ,
his 12% shooting and lack of any kind of offense, would put him
in a precariuous position for next season.
Again, just guessing.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rodfromcranston wrote: I have to think, that as much as everyone likes TJ,
his 12% shooting and lack of any kind of offense, would put him
in a precariuous position for next season.
Again, just guessing.
The thing with TJ is that there is not enough offense around him to cover up his own offensive deficiencies. He is an excellent defender, but if he is on the floor that means that either Powell, Munford, or Malone are not, all of whom are stronger offensively on a team that struggles to score points.

I hope that next year we'll be able to bring TJ off the bench to lock down defensively for a stretch and still have 2-3 solid scoring options on the floor at any one time. In that sense, he may prove to be more valuable next year than he is currently.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

You have to wonder how much TJ's ankle is still bothering him.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Anyone else not crazy about the fact that he is tweeting this? I love the interaction on the various social media outlets but he is basically calling someone on his team out publicly. Sure, he didn't name names but, man, that's an easy way to create divisions. Who knows, maybe it will be an agent for change but I wonder if that's not something he can say to this particular person(s) in his office.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

LOVE THE HEART ON SLEEVE on Hurley

Lets get some real players in here soon !
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Step back from the ledge, Dan! It'll be ok :)

If either TJ or Powell leave after this year, I have to think it would be their choice, not the coaches. Still crazy to think year 2 will have, at most, 2 holdovers.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think a lot of Dan's tweets are just his philosphies.
Like a baseball coach tweeting, "those bases on balls will kill
you, every time!"
I do think there is a realization setting in, that there will be no
miracles this year.
It's not just we, the fanbase, but the coaches looking at this, far closer than we are.
Just don't have the pieces right now.
The PC game kind of popped the bubble. We thought we saw real progress
in the last few games. We have seen that progress in Hare and Aaman, but overall,
a six man PC team showed us how far away we really are.
That loss brought everyone back to earth.
None of this is any sort of indictment on the staff, who work harder than any staff we've
ever had.
It's more of an indictment on the state the program was left by Jim Baron.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would guess that it's either Nik or Malone or both.

It's got to be bothering Dan quite a bit, to be talking about it in the media. I think even he figured that we'd be better than 2-7 right now.

I think that he, along with us, can't wait to have all his own people on board, Powell being the exception. I too think that TJ might not fit here next season, unless he can develop some kind of offensive game over the summer. Otherwise, he's going to be at the end of the bench.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

TJ can be the Tony Allen type player minus the offense. You need role players to have a great team, not all scorers. People lose sight of that. Having a lockdown defender can help against teams with a lone superstar guard. His value is not lost on me.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Sweep The Leg wrote:TJ can be the Tony Allen type player minus the offense. You need role players to have a great team, not all scorers. People lose sight of that. Having a lockdown defender can help against teams with a lone superstar guard. His value is not lost on me.
Agreed, but you're assuming he would be happy in that role.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not to start another war, but if Powell can't shoot better than 27%, his playing time could be
cut next season, by Matthews and Minnis.
Time will tell.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

I'm hoping he would be happy in that role. Really good defenders are hard to come by and normally aren't a scoring threat on the college level because they exert so much energy on the defensive side of the ball. I'm not sure the interest other D1 schools would have in him in a different role.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I thought I remember someone saying Hurley normally goes 9 deep in the rotation, even with his style of play. If that is so, and thinking ahead to next year, we have the 4 transfers, this year's 2 frosh, next year's 2 frosh and Munford. That's 9. Powell would be 10. There has to be 3 guys minimum who sit at the end of the bench, playing only in garbage time. At this point, TJ and 2 more frosh or transfers(depending on who they are) would be 11, 12 and 13.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yes, but Mike has 2 years left, and he might be happier in a low major program, where he would be the starting PG and play major minutes.

Next year, he's most likely going to play a good deal less minutes. He will be the team's most experienced player, though. I would guess Hurley wants him back.

As for Minnis, how good will he be? He may not be that great, unlike EC, who looks like a can't miss star. But who really knows?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Minnis and EC are big PGs. Minnis is supposed to be a defensive guard,
accoring to a Jersey guy I talk to once in awhile.
He's 6'3" and built like a linebacker. Don't think he shoots well enough to
be a SG.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think Powell will have a role next year, but it certainly will not be as big as it is this year. He is not a scorer at this level - he isn't a great shooter and while he has shown an ability to penetrate, he hasn't been able to finish. But there is value in having a guy that can take care of the basketball and play hard defense. Even if EC Matthews is as good as we all hope, he isn't going to be playing 40 minutes per game. That is actually been one of my points about Powell: nobody on this team should be playing 40 minutes per game. He can probably do well in a situation where Hurley designs a specific role for him and he is asked to do a particular thing or two, rather than everything. Just being able to concentrate his preparation will probably help him. He should also benefit from having better players around him because his lack of scoring ability will be less glaring.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I could see Minnis getting minutes at the 2 backing up Munford. Even though Minnis is listed as a PG and not a great shooter, his value could be defending the other team's 2. If EC is a good outside shooter, Minnis could team with him in the backourt on occasion. If your PG can shoot, it lessens the importance of your 2 being a good shooter. Anway, guys competing for minutes and getting them any way they can, is a good thing.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

IMO,

I don't think DH gives a flip about how sensitive his players or outsiders are. His way or the highway
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

I think TJ could play in a small forward role against a slasher type SF. Especially with the frontline being blostered next year.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

seanmc94 wrote:IMO,

I don't think DH gives a flip about how sensitive his players or outsiders are. His way or the highway
I'd say that's overstating it a bit, at least in my experience in following him as a coach over the years.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:I thought I remember someone saying Hurley normally goes 9 deep in the rotation, even with his style of play.
I'd say at least 10, depending on personnel. The second year at Wagner, 10 consistently played in each game (when healthy) and each averaged at least 10 minutes. At the same time, I don't think any player averaged more than 30 minutes per game. When he has the players, he also can be quick to go to the bench if he doesn't like the tempo or effort. For Wagner, you'd see Martin, Thompson, and Moody/Parker come in at the 17 minute mark of the first half if he didn't like what he saw from the starters.

But I really hope they get a win soon- I'm not ready to just have next season to look forward to. Too much down time between games is no good.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I remember looking at Wagner's minutes, after Hurley came here.
There seemed to be four guys who had solid minutes, in the 30's.
It looked like he had a 7 man rotation, judging by the minutes.
You never see really great teams playing 10 guys.
Wooden didn't even bother with his bench players.
Knight played six or seven, same with Coach K.
Harrick and Penders, the same.
They used their bench to selectively rest players, or to change up in some way.
I don't think you can have any offensive or defensive continuity with a Chinese firedrill, of
people running in and out of the game.
You don't have players of equal skill, so you play them in proportion to their talent.
Best players get the lions share of minutes, logically.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

For Wagner 11-12, starters were Ortiz, Rivers, Murray, Folahan, and Williams. Rivers and Murray averaged 30 minutes/game, everyone else less than that. When healthy, ten players typically saw action in each game (averaged double digit minutes). It worked for that team, with just two of Hurley's recruiting classes at that point; it will be interesting to see how it plays out next year. Wagner had a handful of blowouts that season but not enough to skew the minutes.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Only player I could imagine being a target of that tweet is Nik. I felt it was difficult for Dan to sugar-coat his feelings for Nik during last Wednesday's Rhody Basketball Hour radio show.

I think Nik's on the road to irrelevancy on this team.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It will be interesting to see how we bounce back after the layoff
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Could the "old dog" have been himself? And, does he need "to look in the mirror"?
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

maybe he has an old dog and he's getting frustrated that regardless of how many dog training schools he puts it in it still resorts back to its old habits.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And maybe he's still mad at the Bengals. I think rod had it right earlier- just some general thoughts, no need to attach them to a specific person. I have no doubt that anything that needs to be addressed with this team is being done personally.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think we're reading a bit too much into this. We obviously think it's about basketball, because we only think about basketball.

He does have another life off the court, and for all we know that has nothing to do with basketball.

This is the bane of social media right here.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He has a Boxer, but it's not old.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

As we know, Hurley doesn't even have a seat on the bench. His intensity and will to win maybe goes beyond how he views some players committments on the team. Patience is a virtue is probably not one of coach's favorite quotes.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It's easier to find 7 players than 10 players, so I imagine the type of minutes Munford, Powell and Malone are getting this year won't seem out of place in future years. Pretty much all good coaches do a good job of riding their best players hard, and putting the role players in in spots that allow them to succeed. (Conversely: One common trait of bad organizations is asking players to do something they aren't good at and never will be good at, like how the Knicks just acquired good offense, bad defense players for years and years after Riley left town.)
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Or like how Outerbridge was forced into playing the 5 when he had the body and abilities of a 4.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

It would not surprise me one bit if the Tweet was for NIk. He leads the team in turnovers and was a major factor/contributor to the beginning of PC's run in the second half of that game.
If you think of the people who have bought in to the Hurley philosophy...Powell is a better point guard this year, Malone came back many pounds lighter and in shape, Brooks actually looks like a defensive contributor on the floor AND hustles, Hare is improving and TJ looks leaner and is improving after coming off an injury. Nik is the only guy I would think he would have an issue with. In a way, I almost feel bad for ragging on Nik a little because he does come up with steals and he is a competitor, but for every one thing he does right, he seems to do two things wrong.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nik needs to wake up and smell the coffee, we need way more from him
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Nik is very competitive, but wastes a lot of energy "fighting" side issues during a game. The anger level goes up, the concentration and game plan go out the window. I feel he gets mentally tired late in games.

I still think Hurley was refurring to himself in the tweet.
I think he grossly underestimated the talent needed to have competed, and win this year.
No question he is the right guy for us.
No question he knows his x's and o's.

This is only his third year since coaching h.s. ball......Still a lot to learn on his part, and I think he knows that. No knights on white horses needed here, just a lot of hard work ahead. I think he has gotten a lot so far, with as brutal a schedule as we have seen. The W's may not come this year, but I trust he has what it will take to make us relavent in the near future.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

CTRamfan wrote:Nik is very competitive, but wastes a lot of energy "fighting" side issues during a game. The anger level goes up, the concentration and game plan go out the window. I feel he gets mentally tired late in games.

I still think Hurley was refurring to himself in the tweet.
I think he grossly underestimated the talent needed to have competed, and win this year.
No question he is the right guy for us.
No question he knows his x's and o's.

This is only his third year since coaching h.s. ball......Still a lot to learn on his part, and I think he knows that. No knights on white horses needed here, just a lot of hard work ahead. I think he has gotten a lot so far, with as brutal a schedule as we have seen. The W's may not come this year, but I trust he has what it will take to make us relavent in the near future.
You make a good point.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

CTRamfan wrote: I think he grossly underestimated the talent needed to have competed, and win this year.
Can't say I agree with this. He's consistently been very honest about how little they have and what this season is about. It's not like he passed up some great talent, saying no thanks, we're good here.

Interesting to consider that, when he took the job, Baron and Holton were still thought to be in the picture.

And have Jordan and Xavier been around for a while and I'm just now noticing? Or are they new?
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

ace wrote:
CTRamfan wrote: I think he grossly underestimated the talent needed to have competed, and win this year.
Can't say I agree with this. He's consistently been very honest about how little they have and what this season is about. It's not like he passed up some great talent, saying no thanks, we're good here.

Interesting to consider that, when he took the job, Baron and Holton were still thought to be in the picture.

And have Jordan and Xavier been around for a while and I'm just now noticing? Or are they new?
I may be misremembering, but I thought Holton was already out of the picture by the time Hurley was hired.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Optimistic wrote:
ace wrote:

I may be misremembering, but I thought Holton was already out of the picture by the time Hurley was hired.
You are misremembering. Holton was at the press conference introducing Hurley in March or April in Keaney, whenever that was. In fact, he was interviewed by channel 10, I think it was.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It'd be interesting to hear Hurley's take on the Big East developments and how it might affect the A-10. I hope he addresses on his radio show tonight.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Optimistic wrote:
ace wrote:

Nope, Holton was still around. I remember the talk wondering if Hurley knew what he was getting himself into with the state of the program. I think the timeline was something like the Hurley hire, then a week later the stuff about Holton comes out.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Holton was at the intro at Keaney.
Nik strolled ion after everyone else on the team was seated.
0 x