NCAA or NIT 2016 Possibilities and 2016-2017 Expectations

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: NCAA or NIT 2016 Possibilities and 2016-2017 Expectation

Unread post by rambone 78 »

78, that's with a new coach too. Struggled a little OOC, but they are coming on like gangbusters right now.

Haven't missed a beat. Another Xavier........
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:Richmond is a middle of the pack team. They do get a little more support yes.

We beat them at home. Right now, I doubt we beat them on the road, if we played them there that is.

We are in danger of going 3-6, or something like that on the road. We could even lose to a dreadful UMass team at their place.

208 is still clinging to his delusions that we'll beat good teams in March.

If Dan gets his head out of his ass and gets rid of the bullshit stall ball offense, we have a chance to beat a couple of good teams later in the season, actually starting with GW next week.

That doesn't mean we will magically transform into world beaters, but that would be an improvement over the sad state of affairs right now.
Right now, this team is just as likely to beat good teams in March as they are to have 'more/better depth next year.'
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Based on what exactly?

Hope?

We are sick and tired of hope.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I suppose...not sure how 'expecting next year's team to be better and deeper' is any less 'hope' than expecting this year's team to play better in March?

Maybe there's something about 'deferred hope' that makes it better?
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Realistically little or no chance this year. Sorry. Who knows about next year. Losing the faith a little bit.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Stanford Robinson?
He can't hit the ocean with a beachball!
He had THREE whole 3's in two seasons at Indiana!
Terrell is like Larry Bird compared to him.
Stop trying to run players off the program!
We have had enough turnover as it is.
Yeah he sucks at shooting but it wouldn't hurt to have a guy that drives and actually finishes around the hoop...Hurley told me how strong he is and should be a good piece.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Terrell is strong as a bull.

But he can't finish at the rim.

If Robinson can, we'll be seeing more of Mr.Robinson, and less of JT.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Robinson has showed in his career that he can make a layup. Terrell is still working on that facet, right after the curl bar.

I wonder if Jared Terrell suffers from doing his workouts with his AAU camp every summer. His game is very AAU. He launches 3s no matter what or he tries to euro step(sidenote his euro step is so bad it has to be Greek or something- its bankrupt).

JT can't shoot and is undersized... What should he model his game after? Dwayne Wade. Wade can't shoot and he isn't even 6'5. Don't even have to be a poor man's D wade, just be the A10's D Wade.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Lunardi just called A10 a 4-5 bid league...sounds like reason to be optimistic...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'll tell you what, 208.

Start a winning streak, beat GW and St. Joe's, and then we'll talk optimistic.

It's called results. Until that happens, you are whistling in the wind......
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Here's an idea for a new thread.

Hurley. Simple as that.

We can discuss what we think of Dan's performance as a head coach up to this point. Also what the future may hold.

Good and bad.

No personal stuff, other than we know he's a great guy.

Just job related evaluations.

Other teams' message boards have something like this, about their coaches.

This subject may be a bit touchy and uncomfortable for some to talk about, but I think it warrants discussion.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Doombone really give it a rest so you don't have season tickets you don't donate to the program and you post your Doom and Gloom nonsense on this board morning noon and night.

Am I super happy with the program right now? No. But your negative crap morning noon and night ruins the board. No offense but with your resume in life you'd be the last person I'd ask advice on anything never mind how to make an NCAA program elite.

Please continue to post your opinion but please 4 or 5 times a week. If someone has a shitty life and wants to impose that negativity on this board morning noon and night it ruins the experience for the rest of us.

GO RHODY!
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

brady1 wrote:Am I super happy with the program right now? No.

If someone has a shitty life and wants to impose that negativity on this board morning noon and night it ruins the experience for the rest of us.
So are you "happy" with the program, if not "super happy?"

Is it fair to make an assumption that because a board member isn't pleased with the team/program that they have a "shitty life?"

I love the members who deem a perspective other than "hope" a detriment to the discussion. This is a board for the fans, we're going to see things differently.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

It's a silly internet board no problems with all opinions negative or positive. But the same person literally posting the same thing morning noon and night is nauseating.

Sorry but that's how I see it.

GO RHODY!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Keatgsr07 wrote:
brady1 wrote:Am I super happy with the program right now? No.

If someone has a shitty life and wants to impose that negativity on this board morning noon and night it ruins the experience for the rest of us.
So are you "happy" with the program, if not "super happy?"

Is it fair to make an assumption that because a board member isn't pleased with the team/program that they have a "shitty life?"

I love the members who deem a perspective other than "hope" a detriment to the discussion. This is a board for the fans, we're going to see things differently.
I'm 'happy' I get to see a pretty high level of college basketball on a regular basis. I'm not 'disappointed', because these are just kids, they're not my kids and well, they aren't playing 'for me.'

I tire of the outright gloom sometimes on this board (my son has called it 'soul-sucking' sometimes) which is different from disappointment, but I'm sure there are just as many that don't want to hear about optimism either. Expressing opinion is not a detriment, piling on and ridiculing someone's opinion...well...doesn't make for such a great read. And, to assess that someone has a 'shi77y life', based on what appears on this board ... just seems a little too personal and not at all fair...
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Some things of note:

Joe Lunardi actually isn't great at picking brackets.
Of people who have been making brackets more than 3 years, he ranks 36th out of 89, per Bracket Matrix.
For those of you who don't know about that site, check it out.
It takes the aggregate seeds of all major bracket-makers.
Right now gives the A-10 3 bids.
Dayton - 6.
GW - 9.
St. Joes - 11.
VCU and St. Bonaventure - Next 4 out.
No other A10 teams receiving votes.
Not an end all, but pretty neat, check it out (www.bracketmatrix.com)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Brady, I don't have a "shitty" life, and I do donate to the program and go to certain events and talk to the coaches too.

So take your assumptions somewhere else. I will post as I see fit. And I am NOT all doom and gloom.

Give me reasons to be optimistic, and I'll be optimistic.

There are many other posters on here that feel EXACTLY the same way I do. Yeah maybe I post more than most of them, but so what.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Brady, I don't have a "shitty" life, and I do donate to the program and go to certain events and talk to the coaches too.

So take your assumptions somewhere else. I will post as I see fit. And I am NOT all doom and gloom.

Give me reasons to be optimistic, and I'll be optimistic.

There are many other posters on here that feel EXACTLY the same way I do. Yeah maybe I post more than most of them, but so what.....
Post all ya want, but you yourself have posted reasons to be optimistic. Will have to go back and find it, wasn't it you (apologies if it wasn't) that said something like...'team has talent'...'been taking leads late in the 2nd half'...and...'can play with anyone in the A10'...

Sounds like a reason for optimism to me...
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote:
Yeah he sucks at shooting but it wouldn't hurt to have a guy that drives and actually finishes around the hoop...Hurley told me how strong he is and should be a good piece.

I really think (and hope!!) we are going to go to a much higher level of pace next year. Plenty of time for all. Full court pressure, all the time. Those are the type of players we are getting; 6'4 to 6'7, long, with quickness. Robinson, Thompson, Akele, even Iverson, Langevin, all fit that mold. Dowtin is tall for a guard too. EC will be back. It suits Terrell's offensive game too. Press, run the floor. Please!!!!!!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

UCH21377 wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:

I really think (and hope!!) we are going to go to a much higher level of pace next year. Plenty of time for all. Full court pressure, all the time. Those are the type of players we are getting; 6'4 to 6'7, long, with quickness. Robinson, Thompson, Akele, even Iverson, Langevin, all fit that mold. Dowtin is tall for a guard too. EC will be back. It suits Terrell's offensive game too. Press, run the floor. Please!!!!!!!!
I think we all said that last year about this year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think we all said that last year about this year.[/quote]

Exactly. Next year's depth is no more a sure thing than this year's (still out there) potential. Need to go with what we have. Win today, win at GW...incremental improvement and be good in NY.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

We should be running more this year. Akele played 9 minutes the other night, Berry none. Not that Berry can run, but he can give the other guys a blow so they can every now and then.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Every year something has happened to deplete the depth. Do we really expect to have 13 scholarship players available to play next year?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Every year something has happened to deplete the depth. Do we really expect to have 13 scholarship players available to play next year?
No. Seems way too early to talk about expectations for next year. No one really knows what will happen. A good contest might be..."Predict the scholarship players on the roster when conference play starts next year" (injured and out for the year counts as 'not on the roster'). Just a guess, but I don't think there will be many that get it totally right.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Every year something has happened to deplete the depth. Do we really expect to have 13 scholarship players available to play next year?
No. Seems way too early to talk about expectations for next year. No one really knows what will happen. A good contest might be..."Predict the scholarship players on the roster when conference play starts next year" (injured and out for the year counts as 'not on the roster'). Just a guess, but I don't think there will be many that get it totally right.

The shadow knows.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

The shadow knows.
LOL...someone is showing their age... :lol:
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

actually, that was before even my time. Can't say that a lot.

GO PATS !!!!!!!!!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It's not only the overall record and A-10 record that counts, but the resume requires beating good teams and in this respect URI at 0-5 is not in good shape. Also, URI has a A-10 schedule not as kind as other A-10 teams. I used a comparative example of St. Bonaventure to show this point. Among our single game partners, the only strong team we play at Home is Richmond and we won that one. Obviously we have to hold serve against the weaker teams no matter where the game is played and win some within the Top 100 group - Dayton (H), Dayton (A), St. Joseph's (H), VCU (A), GW (A), Davidson (A). Therefore, versus Top 100 teams the best URI can do is 6-5 and the worst is 0-11.

Since the likelihood is something in-between those two extremes, the question becomes what record is needed for the NCAA? What record is needed for the NIT? The answers to these questions give us an idea about the size of the challenge the Rams face in their remaining thirteen games. My view is a NCAA bid requires the Rams to go 11-2 the rest of the way. That is a tall order for this team.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Along those thoughts; I think it is Jay Bilas who makes reference to ....."who did you beat .....-and who did you loose to....."
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm thinking, 20Ws and get to the A10 final gives them a shot
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI (11-7) now has an RPI of #114. This RPI is the NINTH best in the A-10. Only UMass, George Mason, Fordham, SLU, and LaSalle are worse (in that order).
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Can only be 1 other team that wins 20 and makes it to the A10 final.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Will need 22 plus make it to the final. That's 11-2, plus 2 wins in NY.

Even with late game improvement, not likely to happen.

If by some miracle we make it to the final, we might have to win it, I reckon.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

20 win and a trip to the A10 final would give URI of ~50, also they would need the right matchups.
Remember in 2014, many said PC would need a trip to the BE final to get an at-large.
Problem was, Seton Hall upset Villanova, playing a team with an RPI ~100 forced PC into a win or go home BET title game.
PC won the BE title, but still only finished with an RPI of 46 which would not have gotten them in.
To feel good on Selection Sunday, at worst you'd want an RPI of what, 45?
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Baron proved that even with an RPI of 40, that's no guarantee of getting in.

It's all about who you beat, of course.

That year he beat nobody, especially when it counted.

This year, we've beaten nobody as of yet.

208 does have one small point. If we were to win the A10 regular season title [sure] then we would likely be in, due to having to beat the top teams to get there.

The way VCU is playing, even a 11-2 finish and a final 14-4 league record, might not do it.

Anyway, all this talk is talk only. If we don't win Friday, then there should be no more talk about it.

Same for the league tourney, also. Without actually winning at least a couple of those road games against the top teams before we go to NY, that's a pipe dream too.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

VCU can be beaten. ...and I don't necessarily think winning road games against top teams in the league is a pre-req for doing well in Brooklyn. I actually think NY might be an easier environment for them to play in than a lot of the road stops.

So, does a win on Friday start the migration from the Apathy Train to the Bandwagon?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

We have dug ourselves in a huge hole for our NCAA resume. We should make realistic goals like say win a road game or beat a top 50 team. We aren't going to the NCAA tournament this year unless we win it all Brooklyn. That's much more realistic then us going 11-2 the rest of the way especially with the schedule we have. A win Friday will be a step in the right direction.

As for next year I don't see how you don't think we will have more depth. We have 4 solid guys coming in, our current freshman will be sophomores (which is usually a big step) Garrett keeps improving, Stanford Robinson, Some guy named EC Matthews will be back and we lose 2 players. That's all just 2. Yes injuries can happen but on paper we have more depth next season.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

06, 208 is just being negative......

:o :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I just don't think winning the A10 tournament is the only way to get to the NCAAs.

Why don't you start the "The 13 scholarship players that will be on the roster and available when league play starts next year" thread right now then? Will bet that there will at least 3 wrong for just about everyone... (i.e., not on the roster or available).
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:06, 208 is just being negative......

:o :lol: :lol: :lol:
hahaha yes! 208 you need to be look at the bright side sometimes..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I just don't think winning the A10 tournament is the only way to get to the NCAAs.

Why don't you start the "The 13 scholarship players that will be on the roster and available when league play starts next year" thread right now then? Will bet that there will at least 3 wrong for just about everyone... (i.e., not on the roster or available).
I agree it's not. We are going to have to lose no more then 2 games the rest of the way. I just think that's too much to ask from the team we have this year. We are equal or a little worse then the top teams in the league. For us to do that we would need to be better then all these teams. We aren't. We can beat them and they can beat us I just don't think it's possible for us to bring our A game for 11 of those games. We will have bad shooting nights, foul trouble, etc... We will also be on the road most of these games. I hope I'm wrong 208 I want to be in the tournament more then anything.

1.Ec 2. Jarvis 3. Iverson 4. Terrell 5. Hassan 6. CT 7. Akele 8. Stanford Robinson 9. Jeff Dowtin 10. Mike Layssard 11. Cyril Langevine 12.Michael Teresta 13. Andre Berry

That right there is the deepest team Hurley has had here. I'm confident with every one expect possibly Andre Berry. He may want to leave to get more minutes.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not interested in the theoretical and can only go on evidence which shows we have lost every big game at home and coughed up every road game. That spells not invited. We have to win it all in Brooklyn to get into the NCAA.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I just don't think winning the A10 tournament is the only way to get to the NCAAs.

I agree it's not. We are going to have to lose no more then 2 games the rest of the way. I just think that's too much to ask from the team we have this year. We are equal or a little worse then the top teams in the league. For us to do that we would need to be better then all these teams. We aren't. We can beat them and they can beat us I just don't think it's possible for us to bring our A game for 11 of those games. We will have bad shooting nights, foul trouble, etc... We will also be on the road most of these games. I hope I'm wrong 208 I want to be in the tournament more then anything.

1.Ec 2. Jarvis 3. Iverson 4. Terrell 5. Hassan 6. CT 7. Akele 8. Stanford Robinson 9. Jeff Dowtin 10. Mike Layssard 11. Cyril Langevine 12.Michael Teresta 13. Andre Berry

That right there is the deepest team Hurley has had here. I'm confident with every one expect possibly Andre Berry. He may want to leave to get more minutes.
That would be awesome. Now, let's calendar that list and check it out around Christmas. If there are not at least 3 changes (meaning guys gone, injured, replaced or unavailable for any reason), a 6 pack of your favorite on me... I just think there's too much 'anything can happen' left between now and then to even think about it, never mind bank on it.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Nice win by pc against seton hall the other night.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Need an RPI of 35 or better to get an at-large bid......especially not being in a Power 5 conference....those schools can get in with an RPI in the 40's and 50's......I see no other way in but to win the A-10 tournament...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RF1 wrote:URI (11-7) now has an RPI of #114. This RPI is the NINTH best in the A-10. Only UMass, George Mason, Fordham, SLU, and LaSalle are worse (in that order).
Best to focus on end of regular season forecasted RPI. It is only at that time where the RPI rank position matters.

Rhody is trending towards a 83 RPI entering Brooklyn. Each single win above the predicted number raises their RPI quite a bit. RPI Forecast predicts a 19-12 record which results in that 83 rank.

67 if they win one more
54 if they win two more
43 if they win three more
97 if they win one LESS
114 if they win two LESS
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:
RF1 wrote:URI (11-7) now has an RPI of #114. This RPI is the NINTH best in the A-10. Only UMass, George Mason, Fordham, SLU, and LaSalle are worse (in that order).
Best to focus on end of regular season forecasted RPI. It is only at that time where the RPI rank position matters.

Rhody is trending towards a 83 RPI entering Brooklyn. Each single win above the predicted number raises their RPI quite a bit. RPI Forecast predicts a 19-12 record which results in that 83 rank.

67 if they win one more
54 if they win two more
97 if they win one LESS
114 if they win two LESS
19-12 projects 8-5 the rest of the way...I think they'll do at least 10-3, so, 21-10, with two wins in Brooklyn...what are the chances of NCAAT with that? LOL...already know what most feel the probability of that record happening is...just asking...if it did...would that be enough?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:

67 if they win one more
54 if they win two more
97 if they win one LESS
114 if they win two LESS
19-12 projects 8-5 the rest of the way...I think they'll do at least 10-3, so, 21-10, with two wins in Brooklyn...what are the chances of NCAAT with that? LOL...already know what most feel the probability of that record happening is...just asking...if it did...would that be enough?
2 wins in Brooklyn would put us at 23-10. I would think that is enough but also depends on where we finish in the A10. Last year we would have made it if we beat Dayton. Might be in a similar position this year and may need to get to the Championship game.

But GW is a very big game for us Friday night - Can't wait!!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Totally agree...
I think if they had beaten Dayton, they'd have been in, and this GW game is big. A win will instill significant confidence it would seem and hopefully start a good roll...but regardless, I still reserve the right to hold out hope 'through Brooklyn' ;)
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The recent conference road losses have reduced the odds for URI chances to get an large NCCA invite, but has not yet eliminated it all together. Here is how it can be done:

Among Home and Home partners:
* Sweep home and home with UMass, La Salle, and Fordham gives us 6-0.
* Split home and home with Saint Joseph's and Dayton makes 8-2

Among Single Game partners:
* Win home games versus Saint Louis, Richmond, GMU, Duquesne makes record 12-2
* Road game losses to St. Bonaventure and GW - record at 12-4
* Win road games at VCU and Davidson- final record 14-4.

14-4 with a decent tourney performance gets URI a bid. Losses to either VCU and Davidson or both means no at large bid. Then URI has to grab the automatic bid by winning the A-10 tournament.
0 x