NCAA or NIT 2016 Possibilities and 2016-2017 Expectations

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: NCAA or NIT 2016 Possibilities and 2016-2017 Expectation

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I've watched them since 1963 and I'll tell you
there's NO CHANCE.
End of story.
Let's stop this idiocy about NCAAs or even NIT.
We'll be lucky to be .500 in A-10 play.
BUT, HEY! there's always next year. Blah! Blah! Blah!
Rod, I am NOT and never will be a 'next year' guy. I AM a 'play this one out til it's over' and 'let them show us what's possible' guy, though. The players that played for this team in 1963 are in their mid-60s by now and are likely (hopefully) having very little influence on this team or coach... I see this coach getting better/calmer and eventually they turn the corner on these close games. Whether that's this season, Brooklyn, or next season, I'll love seeing it. Let's do a Rhode trip together sometime ;)
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Given our poor road performance and the bad luck of a skewed conference schedule, URI's best remaining chances of road wins are Fordham, UMass, La Salle which produces a 3-6 road record. If the Rams sweep their home schedule, that gives a final record of 12-6.
Now what are the downsides and upsides that may change that record outlook?

One downside look would be not to sweep the home schedule - Dayton and St. Joe's win at Ryan, for example - that gives a 10-8 record. A further downside is to lose one of the three identified road wins and that happening would give a 9-9 record.

A upside look is win all the games mentioned above to get to a 12-6 record and then add road wins at GW and Davidson. That gives us a 14-4 record which gets us in the NCAA discussion.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:Given our poor road performance and the bad luck of a skewed conference schedule, URI's best remaining chances of road wins are Fordham, UMass, La Salle which produces a 3-6 road record. If the Rams sweep their home schedule, that gives a final record of 12-6.
Now what are the downsides and upsides that may change that record outlook?

One downside look would be not to sweep the home schedule - Dayton and St. Joe's win at Ryan, for example - that gives a 10-8 record. A further downside is to lose one of the three identified road wins and that happening would give a 9-9 record.

A upside look is win all the games mentioned above to get to a 12-6 record and then add road wins at GW and Davidson. That gives us a 14-4 record which gets us in the NCAA discussion.
Go "upside"!!! Don't count this team out before the math does ;)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Can we please stop taking about beating teams like GW and Davidson on the road when we can't even beat St Joe's or Bonnie's on the road?
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:Can we please stop taking about beating teams like GW and Davidson on the road when we can't even beat St Joe's or Bonnie's on the road?
No...because, it's not like this team was blown out in 'can't win on the road because of clear talent-deficit fashion'. Just a couple buckets away from winning both games. Faith in Hurls they can figure it out.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhody15 wrote:Can we please stop taking about beating teams like GW and Davidson on the road when we can't even beat St Joe's or Bonnie's on the road?
I'm not talking about beating GW and Davidson. I'm addressing the title of this thread and showing what needs to happen to get to the NCAA. If you don't think we can beat either GW and Davidson, then you have your answer.

A simpler way to look at it is that URI must win 12 of its remaining 14 games to have a shot at the NCAA. And what are the chances of that happening????
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

One thing Baron and Hurley have in common right now:

Neither could beat good teams on the road. Both have poor records in close games.

I thought that Dan was going to change that, as time goes by.

He hasn't. It's getting worse, actually.

Baron we all knew, had a limited ceiling.

Will Hurley end up the same?

I can honestly say that this season is by far the most frustrated I've ever been, and it's barely half over.

We've also been saying that be patient, there's light at the end of the tunnel with Dan as our coach.

How long have we been saying that?

He's not getting it done. The excuse train keeps on rolling. How long does he have, before everyone sees it?

The promises are really starting to ring hollow. Whether the players are lacking, or his coaching is too, it doesn't show any signs of getting better.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I was afraid I might have to break this out again, but...when you say:
"I thought that Dan was going to change that, as time goes by. He hasn't. It's getting worse, actually."

I just have to pull out ===> ...8...14...23.
Anyone that thinks DH hasn't helped is just, well...not sure how to describe.....
To throw the towel in on this season, this early...it's like stealing your own joy.

Why do it?

"He's not getting it done"...seriously???? What????
I don't see how he ISN'T the best thing that's happened to this program in four years...

As my son (who is a very astute fan) just reminded me: "He's the only reason we have any good players"
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I was afraid I might have to break this out again, but...when you say:
"I thought that Dan was going to change that, as time goes by. He hasn't. It's getting worse, actually."

Anyone that thinks DH hasn't helped is just, well...not sure how to describe.....
To throw the towel in on this season, this early...it's like stealing your own joy.

Why do it?

I don't see how he ISN'T the best thing that's happened to this program in four years...
Graph?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I was afraid I might have to break this out again, but...when you say:

Why do it?

Graph?
On an annual basis only....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seriously...to say this coach is 'making things worse'...might be even dumber than anything I've ever posted...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I want to see your dumbass graph after this season.....

8...14....23....something less......whoops trending the wrong way now, huh?

If you think we'll win 23 total games this year, you're on something REALLY good.... :D
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rambone 78 wrote:I want to see your dumbass graph after this season.....

8...14....23....something less......whoops trending the wrong way now, huh?

If you think we'll win 23 total games this year, you're on something REALLY good.... :D
Exactly
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

For those who haven't already blocked me may do so after this thought. If we continue to have these end of half and end of game stalls, should Dan lose his job? After his first season, I got why we did it, limited talent and no bench, so shorten possessions and keep it close. Understood. Season 2, more of the same against PC and STL (when they were good), but the excuse was EC and Hassan were freshman, I still get it. Last year, I became unnerved. VCU and Davidson were the worst of the bunch, but at St. Joe's too. We threw away games that cost the NCAA tournament because we couldn't close and look unorganized when the clock gets closer to :00. This year more of the same.

This is a four year trend. I'm worried if the coaching style continues in this direction, next year may be the year that got away. Hassan and KI will be seniors and EC may declare for the draft. We should be loaded next year, but will they be in the best position to win by this staff. We have most of the upper A-10 teams at home next year too, so it should be a great year.

I was sad to see Al go, he was decent coach and a great guy. He had NIT and NCAA wins my first 2 years in school, but that 1997-98 team doesn't go to the Elite Eight with him. And I feel Dan is the new Al minus the NCAA appearance. Maybe a change is needed. Go all-in with a high profile coach.

Rod, do you have Jim's #? Ask if he has one more year of coaching in him.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sweep, I feel the same way, but maybe it's a little early to say it's time for a new coach.

Dan is stubborn, but he does adjust, although later rather than sooner sometimes.

The horse has left the barn this season already.

He needs to change his late game strategy. I think he will do it, but it should have been done games ago.

He's learning the hard way. That's my issue with him. He needs to be more proactive, not reactive. The great coaches can adjust on the fly. Dan is nowhere near that. He's had enough time to get better at this.

Our talent is being wasted, game by game. I'm not saying we would have won ALL our close games this season, but most teams find a way to win SOME of them.

Not us. And it is getting ridiculous. The NY Giants of college BB. A perfect comparison.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Sweep, you're saying that out of frustration, which is totally fine, I say many things on this board out of frustration.

I think we need to come a little closer to earth on any replace Hurley talk. We don't want to upset the recruiting apple cart, which Hurley has proven he is pretty good at. Let's keep in mind he inherited a ship-wreck.

I think he deserves more time to figure this out, but at the same time that's not an excuse to lose basically every road game when we're evenly matched or even slight underdogs. Which has been the case.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

At this stage we should stop posting on this thread and let it disappear into the basement of the message board.

Let's move the conversation to a place of discussing what's next, where do we go from here?
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Keatgsr07 wrote:Sweep, you're saying that out of frustration, which is totally fine, I say many things on this board out of frustration.

I think we need to come a little closer to earth on any replace Hurley talk. We don't want to upset the recruiting apple cart, which Hurley has proven he is pretty good at. Let's keep in mind he inherited a ship-wreck.

I think he deserves more time to figure this out, but at the same time that's not an excuse to lose basically every road game when we're evenly matched or even slight underdogs. Which has been the case.
I have this horrible feeling that we'll continue to underachieve next year and next year will be our best shot. I don't want the old hindsight regrets in 2018 of what may have been.

I think Hurley should get the opportunity to coach next year's team because he built it and should get to see it through, but that is starting to scare the hell out of me. I hope I'm wrong.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Assuming that Vegas is an efficient market predictor, we have definitely under-achieved this year. We are something like 5-11 against the spread. Interesting to note, not only have we not won a game as an underdog in over a year, we haven't even covered against the spread as an underdog.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

We are 0-8 in our last 8 road games against the spread too. Some interesting trends. We generally exceed expectations as a home team and a favorite and have vastly under preformed expectations as a road team and underdog.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

I'd like to know the last time we had a positive, consistent trend working, any category?
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Keatgsr07 wrote:I'd like to know the last time we had a positive, consistent trend working, any category?
For against the spread past two seasons:

After A Loss 10-4-0 71.4%
As Home Favorite 13-6-0 68.4%
As Home Team 14-7-0 66.7%
As Favorite 19-12-0 61.3%
Last edited by skwalk47 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

There we go!
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Home favorite after a loss coming up Saturday!
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

skwalk47 wrote:Home favorite after a loss coming up Saturday!

And they will likely win at home against a bad LaSalle team. That however won't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Our deficiencies will still be exposed against better competition.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Yea, La Salle at home is a win, GW on road is a loss.

I bet the historical record would be something like this (I haven't looked at the data, just a guess)

Game at home (rpi 30+) = W
Game at home (rpi sub30) = L
Game on road (rpi 100+) = W
Game on road (rpi sub100) = L
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Sweep, I feel the same way, but maybe it's a little early to say it's time for a new coach.

Dan is stubborn, but he does adjust, although later rather than sooner sometimes.

The horse has left the barn this season already.

He needs to change his late game strategy. I think he will do it, but it should have been done games ago.

He's learning the hard way. That's my issue with him. He needs to be more proactive, not reactive. The great coaches can adjust on the fly. Dan is nowhere near that. He's had enough time to get better at this.

Our talent is being wasted, game by game. I'm not saying we would have won ALL our close games this season, but most teams find a way to win SOME of them.

Not us. And it is getting ridiculous. The NY Giants of college BB. A perfect comparison.
And you said you would not start Thompson but now Dan has introduced the concept last night. Many said they would not start Thompson. So DH is thinking proactively there, no?
All I know is something seems to need changing and why not? Time to still try for a good seed and let miracles have a chance to happen and possibly gain an NIT bid but also play the guys who are the hungriest and play the hardest in games and in practice.
I'd start Thompson and let Dan decide who he replaces. This starting line up gets off to too many bad starts.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'm beginning to hope Dan isn't CFL without the 20 loss-20 win
20 loss roller coaster.
He's more emotionally invested than CFL, for sure.
Yet, the excuse train is beginning to sound familiar.
Ever hear Belichick make excuses?
It's "We need to play better and I need to coach better."
And 'Do your job."
Also, the pressure on EC next year is going to be overwhelming
and unfair.
People will expect him to be the savior.
He's a nice player, a great kid, but he's not that guy.
Better than what we have now? Sure.
However, we still lost close games and blew leads when he was
playing.
Give him a chance to breath and find his way back.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Absolutely, it will take a while for EC to recover. Need to be patient with him and don't over expect.
Next year will be very interesting in the battle for playing time with the 6 incoming players.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote:Absolutely, it will take a while for EC to recover. Need to be patient with him and don't over expect.
Next year will be very interesting in the battle for playing time with the 6 incoming players.
Wait. I count 5, Robinson and the 4 frosh. Who am I missing? Are you counting EC as an incoming player?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:Absolutely, it will take a while for EC to recover. Need to be patient with him and don't over expect.
Wait. I count 5, Robinson and the 4 frosh. Who am I missing? Are you counting EC as an incoming player?
Yes
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

What's next?.....win the Explorer game.....where do we go from here?......coaching adaptations to the starting line up, start CT to the bench with either Four or JT.....try to win as many games as we can and grow the freshmen the best way we can in the match ups that follow....hope for the best and expect something north of the worst.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

section(105) wrote:What's next?.....win the Explorer game.....where do we go from here?......coaching adaptations to the starting line up, start CT to the bench with either Four or JT.....try to win as many games as we can and grow the freshmen the best way we can in the match ups that follow....hope for the best and expect something north of the worst.....
I know everyone hates the "wait till next season talk" but I think that DH should start experimenting with different things in order to find the perfect recipe for, I'm sorry, next season.

I think that Four should be a role player, because in the long run of next season and a few seasons after, CT getting in practice now is worth more.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I agree, get Thompson into the lineup and move Four to the bench. I am not in favor of benching Terrell at this point because he still needs to be a big part of our future.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Though I think people are being harsh on Terrell (a lot of players go through sophomore slumps) we have a guy in Stanford Robinson who could give us what Terrell isn't. Great defender, more athletic, who can actually finish around the hoop. In the open practice he looked like one of the better guards on the team already. Then again it's always the guy who isn't playing who is the savior so who knows what will happen.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Just to add to most post above I don't want Stanford to take over Terrell spot I think it would be awesome to have both guys on the court shutting down other teams guards..Terrell will still be a big part of our future. Is he a top 60 recruit right now? No.. Saying he doesn't add depth to this team next year is just stupid. He is still a great defender who is a streaky offensive player. He is also a fucking sophomore. I want more from him but he still has plenty of potential. Maybe he isn't a main guy on a team but you can't convince me he can't be a great 3rd or 4th option while locking down players the next two years. I really hope our fans don't run him out of town because we will regret it.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Fans run JT out? How this board?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Fans run JT out? How this board?
Yeah I'm sure he doesn't read our board so that's probably unrealistic but I just think people and Hurley are being way too harsh to him right now..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Junior and Senior year is when I expect people to be consistent I expect good and bad games from freshman and sophomores...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I was looking forward to seeing Terrell replace TJ as the heart and soul of this team.. It looked like he had that make up.. Very disappointed in his performance but more disappointed in his intensity level.. Could there be an issue with the coach.. Happens a lot.. Not predicting anything but you never know in this age of college sports.. Just doesn't seem like the same player
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ram1980 wrote:I was looking forward to seeing Terrell replace TJ as the heart and soul of this team.. It looked like he had that make up.. Very disappointed in his performance but more disappointed in his intensity level.. Could there be an issue with the coach.. Happens a lot.. Not predicting anything but you never know in this age of college sports.. Just doesn't seem like the same player
You're right there does seem like something is missing this year... I felt like no matter what he would stick out every game last year and make hustle plays only he could make and we are seeing less of that this year.... Let's hope something changes soon I still have hope for him
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I wonder how Hurley Sr. feels about his son's coaching right now?

Of course we'll never know, but I'm guessing there is some level of concern right now.....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

As Bunky said in his article today, "If you want to be a great team,you have to beat the teams your supposed to lose to" or so the saying goes. A good team doesn't do it. We've had alot of good teams in the last 16 years.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote:
ram1980 wrote:I was looking forward to seeing Terrell replace TJ as the heart and soul of this team.. It looked like he had that make up.. Very disappointed in his performance but more disappointed in his intensity level.. Could there be an issue with the coach.. Happens a lot.. Not predicting anything but you never know in this age of college sports.. Just doesn't seem like the same player
You're right there does seem like something is missing this year... I felt like no matter what he would stick out every game last year and make hustle plays only he could make and we are seeing less of that this year.... Let's hope something changes soon I still have hope for him
You know what it is? The 'make believe kid'...I told this board a while ago that, until you've had make-believe kids, you can't imagine how much of a distraction that can be.... :lol:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hell, even a bottom feeder like LaSalle just beat the best team in the league, Dayton.

Do we do that? Hell, even Baron used to own Dayton.

We beat MOST of the bad teams, and lose to ALL of the good teams this year.

Richmond? They aren't that good. We beat them. That makes them not so good.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I wonder how Hurley Sr. feels about his son's coaching right now?

Of course we'll never know, but I'm guessing there is some level of concern right now.....
He's going to be fine. Soooo much calmer than last year.
Team will get better and Brooklyn will be awesome.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Richmond lives off of 2010 and 2011. We haven't had a problem with them yet.

Between the 2010-11 run and the fact they are firmly in that mid atlantic mafia of basketball gets them a little more credit.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Richmond is a middle of the pack team. They do get a little more support yes.

We beat them at home. Right now, I doubt we beat them on the road, if we played them there that is.

We are in danger of going 3-6, or something like that on the road. We could even lose to a dreadful UMass team at their place.

208 is still clinging to his delusions that we'll beat good teams in March.

If Dan gets his head out of his ass and gets rid of the bullshit stall ball offense, we have a chance to beat a couple of good teams later in the season, actually starting with GW next week.

That doesn't mean we will magically transform into world beaters, but that would be an improvement over the sad state of affairs right now.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Stanford Robinson?
He can't hit the ocean with a beachball!
He had THREE whole 3's in two seasons at Indiana!
Terrell is like Larry Bird compared to him.
Stop trying to run players off the program!
We have had enough turnover as it is.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

People here still think we'll win in Brooklyn? Really? What are you watching? I watched VCU last night. They will crush us the way we're playing right now.
0 x