Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Unread post by DC_Rams »

...let's look ahead....big game, and as cliché as it sounds...its a MUST WIN!
Last edited by DC_Rams 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bonnies are undefeated in the A10...would be great to be the ones to knock them from the perch.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I have waited long enough; start CT, off the bench for 4....although I doubt this happens.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This one should be a relatively high scoring game.

Good for us, but good for them too. The Bonnies have 3 guys that can light it up. That's tough to stop.

The team that plays better defense wins.

As always, fouls are key for us. Need our best on the floor as long as possible.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Huge matchup at PG, Jaylen vs Jarvis. Two of the best in the league go head to head.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Already 4pages on this game on their board,

http://bonabandwagon.proboards.com/thre ... -13?page=4
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We've been able to slow Adams down recently. Jarvis brings his A game here, he'll do it.

Need to somehow limit 2 out of their 3 top scorers. One of them I'm sure will get his.

I know it's still early, but another close loss here, and we can basically forget about a bye in Brooklyn.

Without a bye, with our limited depth, it will be impossible to win 4 games in 4 days.

NIT again?
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

I think that an at large bid is STILL POSSIBLE. But, not if we lose this game
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Joe wrote:I think that an at large bid is STILL POSSIBLE. But, not if we lose this game
Agree 100%
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I don't think the chance of an at large bid goes away when you lose an early January game on the road against a top 100 opponent. Plenty of chances left for some nice wins. Not that I am betting on an at large bid but I don't think this closes the door.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we can't win at St Joe's or at St Bonnie's, what makes you think we could win at Dayton, VCU, Davidson, or GW?

For a chance at an large bid, we'll have to go 4-1 in the remaining big road games we have.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Regarding their message board; in Olean what else is there to do....besides watching LE snow pile up, and go out for a Jim Baron sandwich....if we stay out of foul trouble, JT has focused game, and hits some shots, KI has big offensive game in a fast paced attack, we will be fine....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

An 'At Large Bid,' really?

Win the A-10 is the only shot this year, reality check time. If you weren't a Rams fan, what would you think, from the outside looking in, be honest with yourself?
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Keatgsr07 wrote:An 'At Large Bid,' really?

Win the A-10 is the only shot this year, reality check time. If you weren't a Rams fan, what would you think, from the outside looking in, be honest with yourself?
As of RIGHT NOW, nothing.

Biggest games remaining:

at St Bonaventure
at GW
vs St Joes
vs Dayton
@ VCU
@ Davidson
@ Dayton

If we could take 5 of those 7, and have at maximum 1 bad loss, I think an at large bid is still possible.

If I was a member of the selection committee, I would see a team that struggled early on in OOC because of injuries, and then recovered and did very well in the A10.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Thank you for being honest.

If somehow they go 15-1, 14-2, 13-3, at worst 12-4 the rest of the way, yes, there's a chance. They need a handful of quality wins, bottom line.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This is an NIT team this year, the way it's shaping up.

Even that isn't a given if we don't take care of business at home the rest of the season.

We are what we are, probably around 70-75 RPI by the time the Barclay's come around.

The Richmond win was nice, but that was balanced by the St. Joes loss.

5th-6th A10 finish looking more and more likely. That's if we finish behind the Bonnies and St. Joes?

Joe, do you REALLY think we'll win 5 of those? 3 or 4 tops, as of right now anyway.

Win tomorrow, and there's a chance, but not a great one.

Lose, and forget about it.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

rambone 78 wrote:Lose, and forget about it.
I think it's lose and forget about it for a while. I know I just said if they went 12-4 the rest of the way there's a chance, but that means you lose those 4 games to good teams (Top 50) or you have a bad loss or two in there, both kind of lose lose situations.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

rambone 78 wrote: Joe, do you REALLY think we'll win 5 of those? 3 or 4 tops, as of right now anyway.
Do I think that we will? I think it's more likely that we won't win 5 of those rather than we will. BUT, when has improbability ever stopped NCAABB?
Joe wrote: If we could take 5 of those 7, and have at maximum 1 bad loss, I think an at large bid is still possible.
I think that an at large bid is possible. I'm just disagreeing with Keatgs saying that winning the A10 is the only chance, when in reality an at large bid isn't out of reach.
Keatgsr07 wrote: Win the A-10 is the only shot this year
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Keatgsr07 wrote:An 'At Large Bid,' really?

The still is a chance argument reminds me of stubborn Red Sox fans that will only accept no play-offs possibility once they are officially eliminated from consideration (even when back by double digit games). The chances for an at large bid this season, given the current state, are extremely small.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Its like there is this back and forth about Four. For one game he is great. Then 3 games he is a liability and does nothing. We Thompson people pipe up and then Four dazzles. Boom Four people come back.

Start Thompson. Four sucks. He makes open shots sometimes. He makes contested shots less times. Thompson is good at drawing fouls. DH allows CT to do that and CT will do exactly that.

Plus continue to turn into that great defender.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Olean is never an easy place for Rhody. URI is 15-17 there and most of these games were played when the Bonnies had a less talented team than now. One plus might be the fact that few SBU students will be there as they are still on break. Their board also seems to indicate there might be some weather issues on Wednesday which could deter local attendees.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Its like there is this back and forth about Four. For one game he is great. Then 3 games he is a liability and does nothing. We Thompson people pipe up and then Four dazzles. Boom Four people come back.

Start Thompson. Four sucks. He makes open shots sometimes. He makes contested shots less times. Thompson is good at drawing fouls. DH allows CT to do that and CT will do exactly that.

I think Four's play is entirely tied to the level of the opposition. His best games have for the most part been against the weaker teams. He seems to really struggle vs better competition.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Four is a role player that should be coming off the bench.

That was the plan until EC got hurt.

CT [and Akele] unfortunately are still a little too foul prone to be starting.

Those 2 are learning by the seat of the pants method. Trial by fire. However you want to describe it.

They are good and will get even better, but they are not ready enough, to get us over the hump and beat good teams on the road. Yet.

I do expect us to get a little more consistent [meaning better[ by the end of the season. That won't be good enough, there will be too many losses before then, to be in the conversation for an NCAA bid.

But anyway, I would like to see us at least win a couple against the top of the league before this season ends. I do think that's very possible.

Something to build on for next season.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

^ rambone78

good post, agree
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Its like there is this back and forth about Four. For one game he is great. Then 3 games he is a liability and does nothing. We Thompson people pipe up and then Four dazzles. Boom Four people come back.

Couple of things on this front. I suppose I'm one of the "Four people" who support him starting and receiving more minutes than CT.

1) It's not as if CT is buried on the bench. If he was, that would be a different story. But he's played at least 18 minutes every game since Iona.

2) Four often struggles when teams put a long, athletic defender on him. But you know what happens when that guy is defending Four? He's NOT defending someone else. CT has proven to be an excellent shooter at this stage in his career, but he does not command the attention of the defense the way that Four does.

3) Thompson is "good at drawing fouls?" He has attempted 18 FTs in 280 minutes (one FT per 15.5 minutes of court time). Four has attempted 65 in 509 minutes (one per 7.8 minutes). Even allowing for garbage time FTs from Four, he still draws fouls at a significantly higher rate. Not that I think this is even a big reason for why Four should continue to get heavy minutes, I think it is pretty negligible, just calling out a statement that was not factual.

4) CT has been doing great as our 4th guard/1st guard off the bench, spelling each of our starters for at least 5 minutes and sometimes more when the situation dictates. Let him stay there for now. I agree that the original plan was for Four to come off the bench, and he was probably suited for that role. The plan changed almost two months ago.
Last edited by sf2010 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My post was to not meant to disparage Four. He has actually contributed more than I expected from him and carried the team to some wins. McGlynn however is no replacement for EC. He as noted however wasn't supposed to be.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Agree that an at-large bid is not out of reach...with a couple months of stellar play.

Said the Red Sox fan ;)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, go to ramster's new thread about tourney possibilities.

An excellent idea, btw ramster......
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I don't see much chance of an NCAA bid. The team has zero significant wins so far. The only possibilities for significant wins
are two games against Dayton, and road games at GW, VCU and Davidson. So URI would have to beat Dayton at home (A possibility)
then win two of three road games over GW, VCU, Davidson. I would be surprised to see them beat any of them on the road much
less two of them. They would have to get significantly better and I just don't see it happening, unfortunately. Having watched all of
the games thus far, why would anyone think the team is going to become such a powerhouse all of a sudden?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

luke, as we've seen already, there isn't a powerhouse in the A10 this season.

All the teams you mentioned are close to us talent wise. There is no big gap. Some of them may have more depth, and that helps of course.

It's just that we have to break thru and beat them on the road, not just at home.

We haven't shown yet, all else being equal, that we can win the close ones against that group.

Close is for horseshoes and hand grenades, not college basketball.

We don't get points for close.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Luke, thanks for a dose of reality.
We are what we are.
Barring miracles, we will remain as such.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Four is a role player that should be coming off the bench.

Those 2 are learning by the seat of the pants method. Trial by fire. However you want to describe it.

They are good and will get even better, but they are not ready enough, to get us over the hump and beat good teams on the road. Yet.

I do expect us to get a little more consistent [meaning better[ by the end of the season. That won't be good enough, there will be too many losses before then, to be in the conversation for an NCAA bid.

But anyway, I would like to see us at least win a couple against the top of the league before this season ends. I do think that's very possible.

Rambone,
I think Thompson should now be starting and here's why:
- St Joe's - last game - CT played his high minutes for the year with 27. He finished with 3 fouls. He made 2 outstanding passes getting into the lane and dishing off to Hassan for two dunks. He blocked Bembry's shot. He played tough defense, not afraid to dive for balls. He rebounds well.
- Richmond - CT played 22 minutes finishing with only 2 fouls.
- He rebounds well, not afraid of contact and mixing it up in the lane, plays tough defense, shoots 3PG's and FT's well. Gives a spark on the floor.
- Last 4 games. Last 4 games 8 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 15 rebounds and 2 turnovers. Last 4 games minutes have been 25,24,22,27=98 with fouls 5,5,2,3. So he has not had foul issues against two solid A10 opponents in Richmond and St Joe.

- Four last 4 games minutes 45,33,28,25=141 Fouls last 4 games 1,2,4,4.
- Last 4 games 7 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 13 rebounds, 3 turnovers
- Mathews, Martin and Garrett all got starting slots by this time during year. Terrell started from day 1. Time for Thompson to get a starting spot with Four coming off the bench imho
- It's put up or shut up time for the URI Rams...........now is the time
- Four off the bench is fine for me
- Best 5 on the floor right now for URI representing it's best chance to win is Martin, Iverson, Terrell, Garrett and Thompson. Four, Akele and Watson off the bench.
- Thompson starting would give the team a lift. I would not be afraid of Thompson fouling out, got to take the chance.
- Thompson has the following advantages over Four right now:
1. Rebounding - offensive and defensive
2. Defense
3. Jumping
4. Diving for loose balls
5. Consistency
6. Toughness

Four has has some great games for us, but knowing our situation now it's time to make this switch imho. The A10 guard play is tough and St Bonaventure will be no exception.
Also get to see Thompson now in a starting role and playing more minutes versus waiting until next year when EC, Robinson and Dowtin are all on hand
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, maybe it's an idea whose time has come.

We need something, ANYTHING, to get us over the hump.

What's happening now isn't enough. Promising yes, but still losing.

Dan imo will eventually agree with you, and start him. We've seen that he will adjust, maybe not as fast as some of us want [he IS the coach after all] but he will.

If we're going to win anything this season, something has to change. The more uptempo offense was needed, and it's helped no doubt.

Of course it's also hurt our defense a little, so there's some tradeoff there.

So what can Dan do? Actually, what have we got to lose? If it gives us a boost, do it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote:We've been able to slow Adams down recently. Jarvis brings his A game here, he'll do it.

Need to somehow limit 2 out of their 3 top scorers. One of them I'm sure will get his.

I know it's still early, but another close loss here, and we can basically forget about a bye in Brooklyn.

Without a bye, with our limited depth, it will be impossible to win 4 games in 4 days.

NIT again?
Rambone you realize Adams is a sophomore and has faced URI all of 1 time in his life....he scored 10 pts last year against us as a Freshman.
Also keep in mind he has gone for 20+ in 5 games already this year (Jarvis's career high is 18). This will be a tough matchup for Jarvis and any foul trouble for him spells bad news for our offensive output. IMO he (Adams) is one of the most underrated/unknown players in our league and will be a handful on Wednesday.

Also, this St Bonaventure plays small ball - 4 or 5 out. If you recall last season they isolated Dion Wright on Hassan and he took him to school slashing to the hoop from the perimeter. Doubt we see much of Earl unless its foul trouble related. Lots of 3-4 guard lineups. We will have to outscore them, I dont think we will stop them from getting to 70 at home.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The floor spacing Four brings can't be overlooked in assessing his value. Agree he is a specialist, agree he shouldn't be logging 32+ minutes a game...but he also is a saavy 5th year player, generally has a high bball IQ and when he is hot he is a valuable weapon, even if he is not the defense has to respect him and he opens up the lane for slashers and Hass. Not sure CT commands that much respect on offensive end as of yet.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bar, agreed this will be a guard's game.

KI could be a difference maker if he can stay out of foul trouble and play 30 minutes or so.

They don't have anybody who can match up with him.

He can't be consistent because he has to back off due to fouls.

There will be very little Watson or Berry in this game for sure.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:ramster, maybe it's an idea whose time has come.

We need something, ANYTHING, to get us over the hump.

What's happening now isn't enough. Promising yes, but still losing.

Dan imo will eventually agree with you, and start him. We've seen that he will adjust, maybe not as fast as some of us want [he IS the coach after all] but he will.

If we're going to win anything this season, something has to change. The more uptempo offense was needed, and it's helped no doubt.

Of course it's also hurt our defense a little, so there's some tradeoff there.

So what can Dan do? Actually, what have we got to lose? If it gives us a boost, do it.
Yes, it's just a matter of time. Better sooner than later. While Four has had some great games ( I was at Brown) there have been other times when clearly his confidence is not there. St Joe's was one of those nights. Again, I'm not saying don't play him but the best starting 5 we can put on the floor for both offense and defense is with Thompson, Four off the bench depending on how the game is flowing.
No doubt in my mind, as time goes on I'm more sure than less sure.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Four is a role player that should be coming off the bench.

Rambone,
I think Thompson should now be starting and here's why:
- St Joe's - last game - CT played his high minutes for the year with 27. He finished with 3 fouls. He made 2 outstanding passes getting into the lane and dishing off to Hassan for two dunks. He blocked Bembry's shot. He played tough defense, not afraid to dive for balls. He rebounds well.
- Richmond - CT played 22 minutes finishing with only 2 fouls.
- He rebounds well, not afraid of contact and mixing it up in the lane, plays tough defense, shoots 3PG's and FT's well. Gives a spark on the floor.
- Last 4 games. Last 4 games 8 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 15 rebounds and 2 turnovers. Last 4 games minutes have been 25,24,22,27=98 with fouls 5,5,2,3. So he has not had foul issues against two solid A10 opponents in Richmond and St Joe.

- Four last 4 games minutes 45,33,28,25=141 Fouls last 4 games 1,2,4,4.
- Last 4 games 7 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 13 rebounds, 3 turnovers
- Mathews, Martin and Garrett all got starting slots by this time during year. Terrell started from day 1. Time for Thompson to get a starting spot with Four coming off the bench imho
- It's put up or shut up time for the URI Rams...........now is the time
- Four off the bench is fine for me
- Best 5 on the floor right now for URI representing it's best chance to win is Martin, Iverson, Terrell, Garrett and Thompson. Four, Akele and Watson off the bench.
- Thompson starting would give the team a lift. I would not be afraid of Thompson fouling out, got to take the chance.
- Thompson has the following advantages over Four right now:
1. Rebounding - offensive and defensive
2. Defense
3. Jumping
4. Diving for loose balls
5. Consistency
6. Toughness

Four has has some great games for us, but knowing our situation now it's time to make this switch imho. The A10 guard play is tough and St Bonaventure will be no exception.
Also get to see Thompson now in a starting role and playing more minutes versus waiting until next year when EC, Robinson and Dowtin are all on hand
I think CT vs four starting is a good discussion. not sure it really matters, though...more depends on who plays when vs who starts. Hopefully, CT continues to build confidence in his shot and continues to take more of them.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

section(105) wrote:I have waited long enough; start CT, off the bench for 4....although I doubt this happens.....

Agree!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With the Bonnies' guards, it might be the right time for CT.

Their quickness will be a problem for Four.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We really need to crash the offensive glass this team does not rebound well defensively... They also don't have much of a shot blocker like past years... Hass, Kuran, Earl should be able to to score well downlow especially if we can get Wright in foul trouble. The good news for us is we do very well at shutting down good guards.. I think we have a great matchup here on paper and should pull out the W...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This year, we haven't done so well at times shutting down our opponents' guards.

The Bonnies have 2 good ones, shutting them both down will be problematic. Especially preventing dribble penetration.

There always seems to be that one guy that goes off on us. Either a key player, or someone comes off the bench and buries us with 3's in crunch time.

Yes, we should have an advantage in the paint with KI and Hassan against Wright. But as was said, Wright likes to take it outside and drive it, and that causes problems for Hassan.

That plus the home court, might add up to another late fade away by us.......
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

My key to the game is foul trouble. Our guys can compensate for a poor shooting night with driving to the basket, fast break points, and strong defense.

BUT, if we get into serious foul trouble early on, then the whole game plan changes with our key guys needing to get subbed out
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I know it goes against conventional wisdom, play KI after he picks up foul two in first half....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have to avoid the dreaded weave.

We need to STOP doing it at the end of games, unless we are way ahead.

Our prevent offense prevents us from winning close games, which sometimes might not even be close if we didn't take the air out of the ball.

Especially on the road. When the home team gains momentum, it can be hard to stop.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Whenever Four is in the game, Dan should be yelling his name out loud. Then, when the Bonnies duck, we go in for an easy layup.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ramfan85 wrote:Whenever Four is in the game, Dan should be yelling his name out loud. Then, when the Bonnies duck, we go in for an easy layup.

Nomination fore post of the year....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Dion Wright killed us last year.
He worries me the most.
I don't expect us to lockdown their guards as well as we did last year. We ain't got no more TJ Buchanan...
No Ndoye in the middle should make things easier inside.
We seem to matchup pretty well. Just need to go in there play hard and put da bawl in da baskit
0 x
jasonmiller88
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by jasonmiller88 »

I thought this was a Rhode Island board. Some of the comments.. Whatever.
0 x