'18 NY PG - Jalen Carey (Syracuse ---> URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Re: '18 NY PG - Jalen Carey (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Jalen Carey is a player you take every time if you have the chance. The situation and fit in Syracuse was terrible. Really surprised he chose them out of high school. He thrives in transition and can be a very good man to man defender. So he goes to Syracuse whose offense is terrible and plays at a very slow pace. On top of that, they expected him to come in and play point guard as a Freshman. He played point for one year in high school and was transitioning to that. But Syracuse's senior point guard got hurt and Carey was thrown to the wolves and was not quite ready for that. So when Frank Hughes came back after missing two of the first four games, he played like 38 minutes a game like he did the year before and Carey's minutes dwindled. Boeheim not really known of using his bench much, at least recently.

Sophomore year Syracuse opened with Virginia who can create problems for anybody. Carey struggled in that game, and the next, and Boeheim was done with him. Did not play again that year. My understanding he was benched before he got hurt.

Fresh start at Rhode Island should be great for him. Anybody expecting a true point guard will be disappointed though. He needs to continue to work on being a point, but his attributes are his speed and quickness, and his athletic ability. Needs to work on his handle and his shot. But it is hard to get a good read on him based on his one year plus 2 games at Syracuse. I think he will be a good player at Rhode Island.
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago Jalen Carey is a player you take every time if you have the chance. The situation and fit in Syracuse was terrible. Really surprised he chose them out of high school. He thrives in transition and can be a very good man to man defender. So he goes to Syracuse whose offense is terrible and plays at a very slow pace. On top of that, they expected him to come in and play point guard as a Freshman. He played point for one year in high school and was transitioning to that. But Syracuse's senior point guard got hurt and Carey was thrown to the wolves and was not quite ready for that. So when Frank Hughes came back after missing two of the first four games, he played like 38 minutes a game like he did the year before and Carey's minutes dwindled. Boeheim not really known of using his bench much, at least recently.

Sophomore year Syracuse opened with Virginia who can create problems for anybody. Carey struggled in that game, and the next, and Boeheim was done with him. Did not play again that year. My understanding he was benched before he got hurt.

Fresh start at Rhode Island should be great for him. Anybody expecting a true point guard will be disappointed though. He needs to continue to work on being a point, but his attributes are his speed and quickness, and his athletic ability. Needs to work on his handle and his shot. But it is hard to get a good read on him based on his one year plus 2 games at Syracuse. I think he will be a good player at Rhode Island.
Fair assessment. Had turnover issues his Fr year.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

He's a combo guard. We love our combo guards here at Rhode Island. We have a long history of them now. Very few guards we get are definitively a point guard or definitively a classic two guard. Even Tyson and Cat blurred the lines, and they were about as traditional role guards as we have had around here for decades.

We are going to play 3 guard sets anyway. The current roster supports it even more than when we had Tyrese at the 3. What we need to concentrate on are combo guards that can light it up from outside. Over the last few years, we have had plenty of athleticism but have suffered in the shooting dept.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago Sophomore year Syracuse opened with Virginia who can create problems for anybody. Carey struggled in that game, and the next, and Boeheim was done with him. Did not play again that year. My understanding he was benched before he got hurt.
Carey started both exhibition games and then the first 2 games of the season. In the second game against Colgate 11/13/19, he was benched after 5 minutes and did not play in the next game on 11/16/19. His injury and surgery were announced on 11/20/19 before Syracuse's 4th game of the season.

Carey was 1 of 4 guards to transfer out of Syracuse this year (Goodine - PC, Paul - Fairmount State, Washington - ?)
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

About 2 minutes in Jalen hit a beautiful pull up 3 and then has a nice finish about 20 seconds later. 11:30 he hits a pretty fade away as well.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago

😂😂😂 it’s our own deep fake Rhody “fan”
He is not a good basketball player.
GBG,

This is what you said recently about Wood. So curious about how you compare Carey and Wood.

Who do you like better, by how much and why?

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody19/21 wrote: 4 years ago This board would go crazy if he ended up at PC
This board would go crazy if he went to PC and was good. This thread is an all-timer. The craziness of discounting him because of some box score, the we didn't want him anyway, etc. I saw him play and know a few guys in the area who have opinions I trust. There is a less than 50/50 chance that everything comes together for him but he has high major talent and I would take him back right now, even with the PG year. Unless I missed where we were running out a slew of awesome combo guards.
bump....

GBG,
can you please give your thoughts to my question in red?
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago

He is not a good basketball player.
GBG,

This is what you said recently about Wood. So curious about how you compare Carey and Wood.

Who do you like better, by how much and why?

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago

This board would go crazy if he went to PC and was good. This thread is an all-timer. The craziness of discounting him because of some box score, the we didn't want him anyway, etc. I saw him play and know a few guys in the area who have opinions I trust. There is a less than 50/50 chance that everything comes together for him but he has high major talent and I would take him back right now, even with the PG year. Unless I missed where we were running out a slew of awesome combo guards.
bump....

GBG,
can you please give your thoughts to my question in red?
Don’t feed the troll!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed ^^. And why would you even care, his POV comes from an agenda and has more holes than swiss cheese. He also didn't want us to sign Stan Robinson. If he were wrong any more often he could work for the WHO!!
7 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I bet Fatts is and Shephard are good influences on Carey's game. I only watched 3 mins of that video but his posture isn't aggressive, kind of going through the motions (which has been what to expect from Cuse lately). Shephard's career so far he seems to play very aggressive offensively and Fatts obviously is as aggressive a player as most. Should be good for Carey to see people play that way.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Chiming in late. Welcome Carey! This is great news! Getting very excited about what Cox is building.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

There is something "throwback" about this kid. Like he would like right at home in a uniform from the great Penders team that went to the sweet 16 or from one of Al Skinner's better teams from the late 80's and early to mid 90's.

This might have been someone who snuck under the radar back in the day and we could have gotten him that way. The traditional way. No matter, he's here now.

He is very very quick, it will be interesting to see how quick he is compared to a known like Fatts.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From John Rooke

- Excellent news for Rhody hoops, picking up 6-3 Syracuse guard transfer Jalen Carey. But unless the Rams can finagle a waiver or two for all these incoming transfers for next year – five of them in total – URI will be as thin as a slice of deli ham for Fatts Russell’s senior swan song.
- Have a feeling Covid-19 will turn from an enemy to an ally within the college transfer business. Hearing that PC’s Brycen Goodine, the St. Andrews alum who also left Syracuse, is applying for a waiver to become eligible to play next season

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 148154892/
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Goodine will probably get one since he's from the area.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I’m thinking same as Rooke, NCAA this one time is likely to be very liberal with waiver requests.

One time only I think most who apply will receive a waiver.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rooke is a PC homer. Don’t value his opinion on URI waiver prospects at all. The guy does play-by-play. Would PC fans put any weight into Steve’s opinion of their team? I don’t even value Steve’s opinion of URI.
3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago I’m thinking same as Rooke, NCAA this one time is likely to be very liberal with waiver requests.

One time only I think most who apply will receive a waiver.
From your fingertips to NCAA's ears.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Steve went to PeeCee.
0 x
RhodeIslandBorn
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by RhodeIslandBorn »

Carey just got a waiver. Eligible per Rothstein
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yes! Now let’s have a season!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

posting this again. THERE BETTER BE A FRIGGEN SEASON.
2 x
GO RAMS
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

HUGE!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

3 down just Malik Martin to go.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Didn't DC or someone say Carey wasn't applying for a waiver? Or was that Bertrand?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago Didn't DC or someone say Carey wasn't applying for a waiver? Or was that Bertrand?
I said Bertrand.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago Didn't DC or someone say Carey wasn't applying for a waiver? Or was that Bertrand?
Betrand
0 x
Common sense is not common.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Thanks!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Awesome news!
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Any update on Jalen's status, probably okay or we would of heard something by now?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Haven't seen or heard anything, but sounded like the initial injury was pretty minor, so with a full week off I'm hoping he's good to go.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He just posted on IG from his hotel room. So, he's there.
3 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Hope to see you back Jalen!
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is a Syracuse Basketball Message Board Thread on Carey and Goodine who transferred to PC and granted eligibility this season. 9 pages of comments about their play last season and this season

https://syracusefan.com/threads/did-jal ... st-3612557
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Jalen Carey is a very talented player. He played two games last season and had limited minutes his first season. He played in a zone system with a Coach who can be very hard on his players. The adjustment coming to a new system with so much turnover and all this rust could make it difficult to acclimate and thrive. Throw in that nothing has been normal this season and the world is upside down. Every player is different and it might take some time for it to click with him. He has shown flashes of his ability and like Sheppard appears to be too loose with the ball. Watch some extra film with the staff and hopefully he can be coached up. He clearly is competitive kid and plays with an attack mode off the dribble. One of the issues with this group is leadership. We have Fatts and maybe Walker? I think Betrand will eventually be our leader down the road. There is no Jeff D and Cyril, Jared and E.C, Martin and Garrett .....

I would not shelf Jalen Carey 14 games into his Rhode Island career. We have the Duke's next. Hoping Jalen's game begins to click and he has a productive game.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I wouldn’t shelve him either, it will ruin the kid’s confidence, and I agree he has upside. But I would bring his minutes down and give them to Ish until he starts getting better grasp of where/how he can get his points and takes better care of the ball. It’s for the benefit of the player and team. Good players want to be coached hard IMO.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I like the idea of posting him up and using his athleticism near the hoop. Have him work on post moves. Also, flash him into the paint and feed him and go up with his shot. He does have a nice mid-range jumper. Stop him from using his weakness, which is creating his own shot from the perimeter and driving into trouble.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I certainly agree that JALEN IS A GREAT ATHLETE , BUT.........

His team defense is awful- still waiting for him drawing his first charge of the season or for that matter his first dive after a loose ball.

Obviously, his turnovers are often live ball turnovers which often lead to points

This team with Bertrand and Malik at the forward slots is a good to very good defensive team. Unfortunately, when Jalen is in, it is defensively challenged.

Just note when Malik is in vs when JALEN is in and which lineup looks more like a solid team
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’ll fully admit I have Jalen Carey blinders on, and I don’t really know why.

Yes he turns the ball over a bit, little loose with his handle, gets blocked a bit too much, and hasn’t shown the ability to shoot the 3.

However, he’s the best athlete on the team, best at going to the rim at the team, and has a very nice mid range jumper.

I have no idea why I’m constantly saying “this is the game where Carey breaks out.”

He just needs to slow down and not always be in a hurry with his dribble and I think he’d excel.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago I’ll fully admit I have Jalen Carey blinders on, and I don’t really know why.

Yes he turns the ball over a bit, little loose with his handle, gets gets blocked a bit too much, and hasn’t shown the ability to shoot the 3.

However, he’s the best athlete on the team, best at going to the rim at the team, and has a very nice mid range jumper.

I have no idea why I’m constantly saying “this is the game where Carey breaks out.”

He just needs to slow down and not always be in a hurry with his dribble and I think he’d excel.
I am with you 15, I also view Carey basically as a freshman this year too. He played one year at Cuse with zone D and sat almost all of last year. I am not giving up on him in the least as the talent is absolutely there, somehow people think less reps will make him better? Both Ish and Carey should be getting 15-20 mins a game because next year when Fatts and Jeremy leave, they will be getting 25-30.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago I’ll fully admit I have Jalen Carey blinders on, and I don’t really know why.

Yes he turns the ball over a bit, little loose with his handle, gets gets blocked a bit too much, and hasn’t shown the ability to shoot the 3.

I am with you 15, I also view Carey basically as a freshman this year too. He played one year at Cuse with zone D and sat almost all of last year. I am not giving up on him in the least as the talent is absolutely there, somehow people think less reps will make him better? Both Ish and Carey should be getting 15-20 mins a game because next year when Fatts and Jeremy leave, they will be getting 25-30.

While this may be true, I have to add that one of the basic tenets of sports is that you need to earn your playing time. It can’t be given based on prior reputation or preparing for next season. The players will see right through that and the coach could be perceived as playing favorites.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

First post on the top of this page is mine and as mentioned, you take a player like Carey every time if you are RI. Unfortunately, my last sentence is not going to happen, I do not think he will be a good player at Rhode Island. Do not see that happening in any way after watching him with my own eyes. And personally for me he is one frustrating player to watch, in fact he drives me crazy.

And can we stop with how talented he is. He may be a better than average athlete, and that is what some people refer to when they speak of talent, but that does not make them talented. Basketball is a game of skill, especially for a guard, and there is not one basketball skill that Jalen does at an average A10 level or above. And this is his third year out of high school, so if those skills have not improved by now, doubtful that they ever will. He cannot dribble, pass or shoot, all three vital skills on a basketball court. In fact, he is quite terrible at all three of them. Man I kind of hate doing this, but facts are facts. Does he make up for that by being a great defensive player? No. Great basketball IQ and use his athleticism to impact the game in other ways? No. And stop with the rebounding and blocked shots. Overrated stats for almost all players, but particularly useless for guards.

Look at what Cooley has done to Goodine, also a Syracuse transfer. Does not play at all anymore. In my opinion, that is what should happen to Carey. I love that about Cooley, he plays his best players period, if you can help him win, you play, if not, there is the bench. Very decisive and also one of the reasons why his teams always improve throughout the course of the year.

And if Carey gets 25-30 minutes a game next year, then Cox will not be here long. A player like him costs people jobs, and the quicker Cox figures that out, the better. I think Cox is seeing this now and has reduced his minutes accordingly.

Nothing would make me happier than being wrong on Jalen. I really hope that is the case. I hope he does become a very good player at URI. But I am also a realist and I go by what my eyes are telling me.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

There are so many layers to this that some miss.

Let’s start here. When you recruit kids like Jalen, you recruit the family, the coaches, the advisors and the pipeline associated with the kid. There is so much more than what meets the eye when you are trying to build your reputation as a coach. I think Cox learned this the hard way with the rash of turnovers last year.

If you bench a kid like Carey, who was highly touted and highly ranked, it’s a double edged sword. The family and all those connections begin to attribute faults directly to the coach. In turn, that CAN possibly sour that pipeline. Coaches, advisors and handlers will use Jalen as a prime example of why a kid should not choose to come to said school. It’s a slippery slope.

Carey was quoted as saying a few things that made him decide to come here over other P5 destinations. One being that, he felt coach would allow him to find his way without being punished. Confidence is more than 50% of what is required to be a successful basketball player...at any level.

As a fan, I too, am frustrated with the kid. Ish should be the 6th man off the bench. However, Turning your back on Jalen is a sure fire way to do two things, continue to kill his confidence and ultimately result in another transfer. Kids like him, due to his influences, will not accept him riding the pine. Here’s that slippery slope again. It’s such a delicate IMbalance, it sucks.

It’s easy for fans of the team to say what they would do, because the recourse will never be obviously seen. But being a coach is so much more than X’s and O’s and player development, it’s often easily lost in conversations like these.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago There are so many layers to this that some miss.

Let’s start here. When you recruit kids like Jalen, you recruit the family, the coaches, the advisors and the pipeline associated with the kid. There is so much more than what meets the eye when you are trying to build your reputation as a coach. I think Cox learned this the hard way with the rash of turnovers last year.

If you bench a kid like Carey, who was highly touted and highly ranked, it’s a double edged sword. The family and all those connections begin to attribute faults directly to the coach. In turn, that CAN possibly sour that pipeline. Coaches, advisors and handlers will use Jalen as a prime example of why a kid should not choose to come to said school. It’s a slippery slope.

Carey was quoted as saying a few things that made him decide to come here over other P5 destinations. One being that, he felt coach would allow him to find his way without being punished. Confidence is more than 50% of what is required to be a successful basketball player...at any level.

As a fan, I too, am frustrated with the kid. Ish should be the 6th man off the bench. However, Turning your back on Jalen is a sure fire why to do two things, continue to kill his confidence and ultimately result in another transfer. Kids like him, due to his influences, will not accept him riding the pine. Here’s that slippery slope again. It’s such a delicate IMbalance, it sucks.

It’s easy for fans of the team to say what they would do, because the recourse will never be obviously seen. But being a coach is so much more than X’s and O’s and player development, it’s often easily lost in conversations like these.
DC Rams you are correct, which is why I would never be a good college coach. I would be like Belichick, can you help me or not. If you can, you play, if no, you do not. You can do that at the pro level but not the college level.

My post was a little harsh on Jalen but please keep in mind I am only talking about his play on the court. I do not know him or his family in any way. Yes Coach Cox does and maybe that does factor in here a little bit. But should it?? I do manage forty people in my job, and I care about all of them. But if someone is not doing his or her job, they are going to hear about it that is for sure because that then impacts my job. And worse, it will lead to my best employees looking elsewhere if there is no accountability. Why should they work harder, faster, better if everybody is treated the same and there is no repercussions to poor work and rewards for good work. So I reward the behavior I want and punish that which I do not. And if they repeatedly screw up, they are no longer going to be here. The last ten months are the exception to this rule as these are unprecedented times we are living through so I think everyone deserves a little more slack during this time. So taken that into consideration, the lack of practices the team has had, maybe it is too quick to write him off, and possibly unfair as well.

But at the end of the day, Cox is paid to do a job just like we all are. I will not tell him how to do his job. But you cannot manage or coach out of fear. It has to be done from a position of trust, strength and leadership. I would be much more worried about losing Leggett to transfer than Carey. One I think he is the better player. Two he is from Washington DC which is Cox's recruiting strength. Much more damaging to hurt that than NYC.

Jalen just play better and make all of this moot.
0 x