Week #7 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #7 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

The holiday dominated Week #7 begins. George Washington achieves a #20 ranking in both the AP poll and the USA Today poll. Dayton got votes in both polls. Among URI OOC opponents, Maryland is #4 in AP poll and #4 in the USA Today poll. PC is ranked #10 in the AP poll and #14 in the USA Today poll.

Cumulative record of URI OOC opponents now stands at 76-60, a winning percentage of .550 slightly improved over last week.

The A-10 cumulative record in OOC play stands at 98-44, .690 winning percentage, the same as the preceding week. The conference RPI is # 7.

Two games in the A-10 tonight with the Providence-UMass match-up in Amherst being the one drawing the most interest. 7 PM start. On CBS Sports.

Also, Southern Illinois at Saint Louis. 8 PM.

In OOC play.

* Maine at Holy Cross. 7:05 PM.

* Grand Canyon versus Houston at the Cox Pavilion, Las Vegas, as part of the Global Sports Classic. 8 PM.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #7 - Games of Interest

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm sorry, but PC is NOT the #10 team in the country.

Even with all of them healthy.
0 x
Jim Eitner

Unread post by 02025 »

rambone 78 wrote:I'm sorry, but PC is NOT the #10 team in the country.

What makes you say that? They have beaten every team they were supposed to (most recently without 2-3 starters), knocked off a solid Arizona team (yes I know they were down a man as well) and their only loss is to the #1 team in the country (who they had on the ropes until Dunn picked up his 4th foul) on a neutral court. Hard to argue against those facts.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

An interesting game tonight is Eastern Kentucky at #19 Ranked West Virginia

Jarelle Reichell vs Jonathon Holton on ESPNU
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

New Big East has 3 teams in this weeks AP Top 10. Xavier, Butler and PC
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Haven't said this yet this season, but thanks for these threads Obadiah! Helps make bball season more exciting, and saves me the time of scouring schedules for RPI-relevant games - you're the man!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

EKU is playing West Virginia on ESPNU. Jonathan Holton, still playing college basketball. I don't know where Jarelle is, though.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Lets go massholes
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Probably not the 10th most talented roster. Hell, probably not the 50th most talented roster. But they have the best player in the country and that covers up a lot of holes.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote:EKU is playing West Virginia on ESPNU. Jonathan Holton, still playing college basketball. I don't know where Jarelle is, though.
Found him- out with back spasms, and I no longer have any interest in this game.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

ace wrote:EKU is playing West Virginia on ESPNU. Jonathan Holton, still playing college basketball. I don't know where Jarelle is, though.
Caught the opening, Reischel is out with back spasms. Too bad, wanted to see how he played against a legit team. Averaging 20 and 7 though, happy the guy found a place where he's succeeding.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

My bad, beat me by a couple seconds Ace. Onto PC-Umass.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Man, UMass is BAD. Can't watch this crap basketball any more. Glorified pick-up game with the lack of defense on UMass' end.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote:

New Big East has 3 teams in this weeks AP Top 10. Xavier, Butler and PC
Xavier is really impressive this year. I feel like that program is one of the few jobs outside of the traditional power conference jobs that guys would leave for.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And it's funny that 2 of the 3 top teams in the BE came from the A10.

Butler struggled at first with the move, but they've come back strong.

PC of course has benefitted by most of the top programs leaving.....
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

TruePoint wrote:

Probably not the 10th most talented roster. Hell, probably not the 50th most talented roster. But they have the best player in the country and that covers up a lot of holes.
I agree on the talent (maybe not top 10) but Bentil is pretty damn good; so is Bullock. And like it or not their guy can coach.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Umass being embarrassed at home. Makes me feel a little better about our last second loss.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If they still had Chukwu they would be legit top 10.

They find a way to win the close ones. Having a player like Dunn helps, but hey, he's been out and they are still winning.

No excuses there.

Let's play UMass and embarrass them. They aren't very good. Are we any better right now?

Not just the Iona game, but when I heard that Sanford and Son beat Nebraska at Nebraska and it wasn't close, where does that put us?

We don't have to play better. We have to play a LOT better to beat anybody.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I feel our team is better in spurts. Need to put it together for a game.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

What a boring game
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good teams play well for most of a game.

They also play well at the end of games.

We have had stretches of good play, but not very often late.

I would like to see that tomorrow night......we are going to need it starting in league play.

Don't sleep on Brown either.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UMass gets smoked by 24.

Bentil with 32 and 12.

28 assists on 34 made baskets.

That last stat is astounding.

It's PC's world right now, we're only just living in it......

And we should have beaten them.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a game that PC leads all the way often by over 20 points, a PC player takes and makes a three point shot with 23 seconds left in game!!!! Aah, PC never fails to show a lack of class.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ob, you are right, but I'd rather be them right now.

Sort of like the Pats running up the score.

Until somebody does something about it, it's their ball.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:In a game that PC leads all the way often by over 20 points, a PC player takes and makes a three point shot with 23 seconds left in game!!!! Aah, PC never fails to show a lack of class.
That was Ricky Council who doesn't usually get many minutes. Were his only points of the game. PC was up by 21 with 32 seconds on the clock. Council took the 3pt shot 9 seconds into the possession. It was kind of bush league taking a shot so early and a three to boot.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

[quote="Obadiah"]In a game that PC leads all the way often by over 20 points, a PC player takes and makes a three point shot with 23 seconds left in game!!!! Aah, PC never fails to show a lack of class

The next time Rhody is in a blow out and the end of the bench comes in and every one is yelling shoot, shoot, shoot., you are going to say classless if they do? It's ok to hate. It's not ok to be crazy.
0 x
Umassfan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Umassfan »

PC is a very good team. We are also a pretty bad team so it was the result I expected. However after seeing PC in person if you guys play like you did against them in the A-10 you will be getting a bye in Brooklyn.

Also to add, I know understand the years of URI frustration. I have never seen/heard more obnoxious classless trash than PC fans at the Mullins tonight. A couple of losers in their mid 20's ( one wearing a bandana?) Standing up and taunting and doing weird hand symbols and gestures for pretty much every made basket even when they were crushing. I am sorry that you must deal with those absolute clowns on a yearly basis. Hopefully their whole fan base eats Chipolte every weekend.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

you mean, like Shane Plunkett v Rider?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Umassfan wrote:PC is a very good team. We are also a pretty bad team so it was the result I expected. However after seeing PC in person if you guys play like you did against them in the A-10 you will be getting a bye in Brooklyn.

Also to add, I know understand the years of URI frustration. I have never seen/heard more obnoxious classless trash than PC fans at the Mullins tonight. A couple of losers in their mid 20's ( one wearing a bandana?) Standing up and taunting and doing weird hand symbols and gestures for pretty much every made basket even when they were crushing. I am sorry that you must deal with those absolute clowns on a yearly basis. Hopefully their whole fan base eats Chipolte every weekend.
Approved
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, but unlike you I have higher standards. Maybe you might see that at Ryan in front of a home crowd and a walk-on with the ball, but very unlikely to ever happen on rivals court like PC did at UMass. That kind of cheap shot was exactly what Maryland's coach Mark Turgeon pulled in the Cancun game against Rhody. Hurley didn't like it done against him, so it's unlikely he would allow it to happen. But Cooley obviously has a different set of values.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Looking at other action in the A-10, Southern Illinois took charge in the second half to beat Saint Louis, 65-52.

In an upset, Houston failed to protect its home court against upstart Grand Canyon U., as the Cougars lost 78-69.

In an exciting game in Worcester, Holy Cross edged Maine 76-75. The Crusaders led by 13 points midway through the second stanza when the Black Bears made their move and cut the lead to one with a minute remaining. HC was able to hold on by hitting key foul shots in the last seconds. With HC in the lead by two points with three seconds remaining, a HC player put in two free throws and that was critical because Maine got a miracle three with less than a second left and could've won if HC player had missed one or both. It's never over until it's over.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC was favored by 1 point on the road and won going away by 24 - they will end you higher than #10 inthe next poll

Bentel was a monster with 32 points and 12 rebounds

PC is similar to URI in that they have a 1st team guard and Bentel who will undoubtedly be 1st team big. PC is not a deep team but they have a couple of very talented players
URI had a 1st team guard and a 1st team big man as well
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Obadiah wrote:Sorry, but unlike you I have higher standards. Maybe you might see that at Ryan in front of a home crowd and a walk-on with the ball, but very unlikely to ever happen on rivals court like PC did at UMass. That kind of cheap shot was exactly what Maryland's coach Mark Turgeon pulled in the Cancun game against Rhody. Hurley didn't like it done against him, so it's unlikely he would allow it to happen. But Cooley obviously has a different set of values.
I don't think coaches have a problem with a walk-on coming in and trying to get theirs, whether by a three or otherwise.

Actually, the three by the Maryland walk-on (Andrew Terrell) was not what Dan was upset about. That three came as the ball was deflected to Terrell and the kid threw it up at the end of the shot clock. I'm sure it bothered him but not because of some lack of etiquette.

What set Dan and the staff off was when they reinserted starter Jake Layman after they had previously taken out all of their starters. Layman then proceeded to hit a step-back three. They were also upset that Turgeon called and sat through an entire timeout just to insert subs at the end of the game. Normally, rather than sitting through the entire timeout, if the coach is just looking to get subs in, the coach will call a timeout and then motion to the ref that they just want to use the timeout to get subs in and there is no need to sit through the entire 30/60 seconds... just insert the subs and play-on.

Both are no-no's in coaching etiquette.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I don't think I've ever heard of people thinking walk-ons and low rotation guys playing out a few late minutes as classless. Could they had taken the air out of the ball? Sure. But the 5 men on the court have combined for a combined 118.2 minutes in 13 games (9 combined minutes per game). Freshman Quadree Smith has played nearly half those minutes, the other 4 combine for 61.5 minutes. 2 are walk-ons who rarely get the opportunity to play. Think it's much ado about nothing, just people with nothing better to complain about.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What the hell are you PC fans doing on a URI board after playing UMass? Please explain. I don't get it at all.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Billyboy78 wrote:What the hell are you PC fans doing on a URI board after playing UMass? Please explain. I don't get it at all.
I was the group moderator of this board when it started on AOL and continued doing it on Projo when it moved there until they decided to let anything go and it became a swamp. Then I moved to the different editions of here. I'd wager that I've been here longer than most.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

As someone who hates PC - little-used players scoring points at the end of a blow out is totally fine. Those kids never play, let them actually get a minute or two of competition as opposed to just dribbling it out.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

sf2010 wrote:As someone who hates PC - little-used players scoring points at the end of a blow out is totally fine. Those kids never play, let them actually get a minute or two of competition as opposed to just dribbling it out.
+1
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Captainron@ wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:What the hell are you PC fans doing on a URI board after playing UMass? Please explain. I don't get it at all.
I was the group moderator of this board when it started on AOL and continued doing it on Projo when it moved there until they decided to let anything go and it became a swamp. Then I moved to the different editions of here. I'd wager that I've been here longer than most.
OK then, why would a PC fan moderate a URI board?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Huge game for Fordham tonight at BC. They have had a surprisingly good OOC.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Eh, lets not get all bent out of shape.
Would you trade programs right now?
I sure as hell would.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

sf2010 wrote:As someone who hates PC - little-used players scoring points at the end of a blow out is totally fine. Those kids never play, let them actually get a minute or two of competition as opposed to just dribbling it out.
Agree. If Dunn was jacking up threes with a minute left, that's a different story. But if the waterboy statistician who sees the floor in 5-ish games a year wants to launch a few, I say go for it.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Lots of action tonight. In addition to the URI-ODU tilt, other A-10 games are;

* Wagner at George Mason. 12 Noon.

* Presbyterian at Richmond. 12 Noon.

* Virginia Tech at Saint Joseph's. 1 PM. On ESPN3.

* Fordham at Boston College. 3:30 PM. On ESPN3.

* #13 Miami (FL) versus La Salle in the Palestra. 5 PM. On CBS Sports.

* Miami (O) at Dayton. 7 PM.

* Buffalo at VCU. 7 PM.

* St. Bonaventure at Siena. 7 PM. On ESPN3.

* #20 GW at DePaul. 9 PM. On FS1

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

* Iona versus UC- Santa Barbara in the South Point Holiday Hoops Classic in Las Vegas. 3 PM.

* Marist versus Brown in the Basketball Hoop of Fame shootout at Mohegan Sun. 6:30 PM.

* Prairie View A&M at Nebraska. 8 PM.

* American at LSU. 8 PM. On SECN.

* Wyoming versus Houston in the Global Sports Classic in Las Vegas. 8 PM.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah,
Just a note on these two games - they are being played at Barclays even though is says "at" St Joe's and BC are just designated as the Home Team
* Virginia Tech at Saint Joseph's. 1 PM. On ESPN3.
* Fordham at Boston College. 3:30 PM. On ESPN3.

Fordham (9-1) with 9 straight wins is favored by 4 over Boston College (5-6)

Other games that catches my eye as Ed Cooley would say "AS A FAN"!!!!!
Steven F Austin (7-3) at Arizona State (8-3) 3pm - good match up with ASU favored by 6.5 but SF Austin is always a tough team

Kennesaw State and Al Skinner visit Bloomington Indiana to take on Indiana at 6pm. Indiana favored by 32.5 points.

#6 ranked Xavier(11-0) at Wake Forest at 7pm. Undefeated Xavier favored by 7.5 points. I predict an upset in this one.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Knee ligaments continue to be problematic and ill-suited for the demands of their job.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:

Knee ligaments continue to be problematic and ill-suited for the demands of their job.
I'm really suspicious that the massive increase in ligament injuries (mostly knees, but also elbows for pitchers) is a result of modern weight training making athletes so incredibly strong that the ligaments are not capable of holding up under the pressure put on them by the muscles of these athletes. And if that is the case, what is the answer? Stronger faster athletes are better at the sports we love, but is it worth the incremental improvement to lose so many of the athletes to devastating injury?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, it's reality.

Ligaments and tendons weren't designed to hold up under the stress put on them nowadays.

It's happening more and more in non-contact situations, which is telling.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good day for A10 so far.
- George Mason and Richmond already with victories.
- St Joe's beats Virginia Tech by 17
Isaiah Miles already notched his 4th double double of year for St Joes with 35 points and 15 rebounds. 11-18 FG, 11-12 FT, 4 blocked shots. Heck of a pair of forwards in Miles and Bembry.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ramster, thanks for the assists. With few turnovers you are a team leader!!!
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Iona lost to the 2-7 UCSB Juggernaut
0 x