Game 10: URI at Nebraska (Sunday, Dec. 13, 2 p.m., ESPN3)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Re: Game 10: URI at Nebraska (Sunday, Dec. 13, 2 p.m., ESPN3

Unread post by josephski »

SGreenwell wrote:URI is 21st in defensive rating, according to KenPom's numbers. Why is there such an extensive talk about playing zone? I can understand complaints about the offense, which is currently at 117th, and seems like it could improve. But the man-to-man defense seems to be fine.
I'm not one who's advocating for zone but I think it could be helpful in certain situations. It would probably save our guys some energy on defense and might help when we get into foul trouble with our bigs. There's definitely times where zone might benefit our team more than man-to-man.

With that said, I was raised a cuse fan and I've watch Boeheim play exclusively zone my entire life. There have been many times I think that Boeheim should switch to man-to-man but what he's doing seems to work so I can't have too many complaints and I think the same goes for Hurley.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

josephski wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:URI is 21st in defensive rating, according to KenPom's numbers. Why is there such an extensive talk about playing zone? I can understand complaints about the offense, which is currently at 117th, and seems like it could improve. But the man-to-man defense seems to be fine.
I'm not one who's advocating for zone but I think it could be helpful in certain situations. It would probably save our guys some energy on defense and might help when we get into foul trouble with our bigs. There's definitely times where zone might benefit our team more than man-to-man.

With that said, I was raised a cuse fan and I've watch Boeheim play exclusively zone my entire life. There have been many times I think that Boeheim should switch to man-to-man but what he's doing seems to work so I can't have too many complaints and I think the same goes for Hurley.
Eh, I think the gains made would be negligible at best. Also, there is only so much practice time in a day, between games, etc. The defensive is in the top 10 percent of the country. I think there is diminishing returns when it comes to fiddling with a zone defense, when you could instead be spending the time on offensive sets, late game situations, free throwing shooting, etc.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

SG if you reread the comments about using zone I think, as a reasonable person you'll understand some of the points made, you don't have to agree, but talking about it happens because there are 4 aspects of the game, half court offense and defense, transition offense and defense, we happen to be one of the best at one of them, very good at another and not all that good (good in flashes) at the other two. Again, I don't suggest we abandon our strength (great man D), but I do suggest that it can be over used to the detriment of the other aspects of the game, the same things you think we should be focusing on, offensive sets, late game situations, free throwing shooting, could be suffering at the expense of things like sheer exhaustion and foul troubles, just a thought, but there's some logic in this thought you have to admit.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

If our defense was 45th nationally and our offense was say 120 nationally, I'd venture to guess that kind of balance might be better in the long run to 21 and 270something.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Running Ram wrote:If our defense was 45th nationally and our offense was say 120 nationally, I'd venture to guess that kind of balance might be better in the long run to 21 and 270something.
That's an awfully big assumption though to think that our defense would only be about 24 spots worse and our offense would improve 150 spots. I think it's much more likely that the changes would be rather negligible.

If you don't practice zone alot it can be very difficult and expose you pretty quick. Dan has tried it a few times and we looked awful doing it.

I'm not sure how much logic there is in saying, well we do 1 of 4 things well, so lets work on changing that 1 thing for just a small part of the game. I'd rather spend that time trying to fix the other 3.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

And we also aren't very long on the perimeter (Garrett, Terrell, Four/Thompson) which is a huge aspect of being good in zone. The few times we have gone to it the last couple years we have looked bad and the other team has gotten wide open looks. Stick to what we're good at IMO. Not sure zone brings out the best in the current roster makeup.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

See the Koch article today that says Rhody has allowed the opponent to shoot 50%+ in the second half of all four defeats. Interesting stat. Especially since they have really stifled teams in the first half of most games.

Speculating, I think its because of fouls and ppl exposing Four.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

So, so, so, what happens to the defense in second half.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I'm not talking about dabbling in zone defenses, I'm talking about a commitment to it even if you're only going to use it 5-10 minutes, and yes it's too late in the season now to be half-assing that kind of adjustment.

I disagree that JT wouldn't be effective in zone because of his length, I agree McGlynn might struggle with it, Iverson on the other hand might be great length for something likened to Zone D, there are easily at least 35 combinations of line-ups you can run with 8 players for 5 spots. I'm sorry you can't convince me that with the right commitment to incorporating zone into the playbook, it couldn't be an asset and it doesn't have to take away from the kind of pressure we apply on D, zones can be very aggressive, even if not to help with things like exhaustion or foul troubles, a commitment to zone could actually make our overall defense even better. Look at VCU in past years or years passed, we'd agree one of the better defensive squads going right? well how much of each did they play? I know different players etc... but the larger point is, I'm not looking to go away from our strengths, I'm looking to increase our strengths.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Geeze, I just heard Raf sy on TV some teams have an offensive asst and a defense asst, like football coordinators.....hhhhuuummm; where have I heard that before....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Does our football team have offensive and defensive coordinators?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Does our football team have offensive and defensive coordinators?
Not sure of the answer to this question, but please...do the opposite of whatever the football team does.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes, I heard they are part of the 5th quarter club...as full time jobs...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I said for situational purposes.
Imagine Iverson at the top of the zone,
with his length.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rodfromcranston wrote:I said for situational purposes.
Imagine Iverson at the top of the zone,
with his length.
I like it, gimme some of that, situationally of course...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Every time Raftery speaks I vomit....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I could see a 1-3-1 with Iverson at the top of the key
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It would only work with Earl, Hass and Iverson in the lineup.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Yeah def agree
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

DanInAZ wrote:What is the over/under on when/if Ace posts in this thread? *ducks*
She's probably on the ASU board drooling over the other Hurley, as others drool too during "The ASU Onward and Upward LoveFest."

Sorta sounds like her:

"Glad to see that even the players are recognizing and appreciating the CBH era."
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Haha it does.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Haha it does.
Sorry, it's not. I'm trying to cut down time on-line, not add to it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Samford outplayed Nebraska in the 2nd half and won by double digits 69-58 in front of 14,871 on Sunday at Pinnacle Arena. Samford is now 7-4 (vs D1 teams) with wins over Kennesaw State, Troy, N Texas, Idaho, Jacksonville, Florida A&M, and Nebraska. The Cornhuskers fall to 7-5.
0 x