Game 10: URI at Nebraska (Sunday, Dec. 13, 2 p.m., ESPN3)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 10: URI at Nebraska (Sunday, Dec. 13, 2 p.m., ESPN3

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Iverson is leading the Rams in scoring, rebounds, shooting 54%,
2nd in blocks, 3rd in assists.
All this from a guy who really hasn't played since
high school.
Only gripe is, his free throw shooting.
I'd say he's done pretty damned well, all things considered,
and the best is yet to come.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Iverson is leading the Rams in scoring, rebounds, shooting 54%,
high school.
+1

You put it better than I did.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think he brings a fire too. Outside of the Shields steal at the end there. He seems to be fiery.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Iverson is leading the Rams in scoring, rebounds, shooting 54%,
high school.
Yep,

Told ya all.....

Best player on the floor most nights just getting loosened up.
Will be unstoppable against many teams as the season moves on and the aggressive play dials up.

I really hope we can keep him 2 years......I am hoping he gets to play a year with Matthews. Put up a pic of the 2 of them on the floor together in game 1 on my IG. Please let there be more than 9 minutes of that!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

You guys are nuts. More to the game than ppg.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Gonebarongone wrote:You guys are nuts. More to the game than ppg.
...Which is why Rod mentioned assts/rebs/blks and fg%. Yes, FTs need to improve and he could have fewer TOs, but the positives have far outweighed the negatives thus far and he seems to only be improving with time.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I'd add turnovers to the list besides free throws, Rod. But otherwise, I agree.

GBG, Iverson's advanced stats are pretty impressive, too. Highest eFG% on the team. Highest block percentage, highest rebound percentage, highest true shooting percentage, etc. Top three on the team in almost literally any other advanced stat you want to use.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

people brought up how well rounded Iverson has been and he's only getting better.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

high school.
By 3rd in assists, did you mean 3rd in assists at 1.1 per game (that's a different gripe). You're happy with 27% from three or 3x more turnovers than assists? He looks the part...that's about it. You can see why recruiting services loved him in HS. Give anyone like that ten shots per game and he'll put up a state line. If you actually watch the game and see what goes into winning basketball, I'm looking past KI.
And, no, his advanced stats are not great. Maybe compared to other guys in this offense. His offensive rating is 94.2. 17 guys in the A10 have his usage rate and he is #14. That's a bad combo. I know people want to hope he is good but he does not contribute to winning basketball.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Did you not watch the Nebraska game? He had stretches where he dominated. Sure he's gonna have mistakes he is a transfer that has never played as a starter you'd have to be blind to not see his potential and improvement each game.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

We'll see where he ends up at the end of the year. I doubt it's very much different than right now.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We're at the games, we see what's going on.
I'm pleased with Iverson.
He's fit in well.
So he's not a 3 point shooter? Who cares? He shoots 54%!
He needs to cut down on turnovers and improve his FTs.
Otherwise, he's been a solid contributor.
Anything to the contrary is ball busting.
End of story.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

That's a good point Rod. Have seen him in live action since the STAC game. The quickness was there and the fantastic athletic ability but timing was off as expected.

As the timing and skill set returns the domination will come.

Watching basketball on TV is nice.

The scouts go to the games.

I see a first round pick.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

hrstrat57 wrote:That's a good point Rod. Have seen him in live action since the STAC game. The quickness was there and the fantastic athletic ability but timing was off as expected.

As the timing and skill set returns the domination will come.

Watching basketball on TV is nice.

The scouts go to the games.

I see a first round pick.
I love what Iverson's brought to the table, but the hyperbole (^^^^^^^^^^^^^^) is a bit much. For which league? The old Eastern League?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Time will tell if I am right but scouts are already all over him.

He hasn't even got started yet.

Suggest u all enjoy the ride down to Kingston to see KI play. He might not be here too long.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

He'll be back next year.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The only knock on KI thus far are his TOs/Assist ratio - he is a good passer and should improve production as a facilitator, and he needs to protect the ball better. Beyond that he has surpassed expectations, not sure who expected him to be a prolific three point shooter but there was no reason to believe that. If you did a report card on the team right now he would be 1 of maybe 2 guys (Earl being the other) that are performing above fan expectations. What non fans believe is irrelevant.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:We're at the games, we see what's going on.
I'm pleased with Iverson.
He's fit in well.
So he's not a 3 point shooter? Who cares? He shoots 54%!
He needs to cut down on turnovers and improve his FTs.
Otherwise, he's been a solid contributor.
Anything to the contrary is ball busting.
End of story.
I forgot you got to end the story. Sorry for interrupting your message board. Can I comment on him being a first round pick?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Gone since you're not high on Iverson what did you really expect at this point? He's certainly trending upwards in my opinion.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote:Gone since you're not high on Iverson what did you really expect at this point? He's certainly trending upwards in my opinion.
I think we're getting what I expected. Flashes of talent, inefficient player who doesn't make those around him better. I will say the rebounding has been nice. I guess with EC out, I'm glad he's around but think next year will be interesting.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Gonebarongone wrote:And, no, his advanced stats are not great. Maybe compared to other guys in this offense.
Isn't that what we were talking about? If you don't think he's one of the best players in the A-10, I agree, he's not there yet. But I think people were only citing where he ranks compared to other guys on the team.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

As much as I like KI, I think we can hold off on the first round pick stuff.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Inconsistent bit full of potential as time goes om.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Can your advanced metrics explain why a poorly designed offensive strategy (your opinion) has an average at best perimeter shooting team connecting on 45% from the field and getting to the line more often than their opponents? That would seem to indicate that our offense must get us some good shots since we don't have a roster full of lights out shooters. It also seems to yield plenty of action in the lane which results in us getting to the line more than our opponents.

We turn the ball over too much and need to shoot FTs at 70%- all other theories are not based on facts and certainly not based on actually watching the games.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

BAR ftw good call
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:Can your advanced metrics explain why a poorly designed offensive strategy (your opinion) has an average at best perimeter shooting team connecting on 45% from the field and getting to the line more often than their opponents? That would seem to indicate that our offense must get us some good shots since we don't have a roster full of lights out shooters. It also seems to yield plenty of action in the lane which results in us getting to the line more than our opponents.

We turn the ball over too much and need to shoot FTs at 70%- all other theories are not based on facts and certainly not based on actually watching the games.
If you want to go to bed at night thinking DH is a great recruiter, great defensive coach, great in game coach, great talent evaluator, and great offensive coach, well, fine by me. My way of being a fan is no more right than your way. If you want to look at a coach who is in year six of coaching without getting to the NCAAs and who loses 85% of the big games he coaches and figure out what he can improve on, well, isn't that OK, too. Why is it so terrible to be constructively critical of the staff? I have said (ad nauseam to most on here) that I think DH has most of what it takes to be a good coach. But, won't get over the hump until changes are made on offense. I don't think that is so radical. As to your specific point, turnovers do matter. When you run the weave into iso ball, you will get TOs as you get to the end of the clock. FT% does matter. If you have a team that can't make FTs, other teams know that and defend differently and more aggressively. You have to be able to alter the game plan. He's never had a top 100 offense in the 6 years of coaching. Look at all the NCAA teams from last year. You won't find many, if any, with worse offenses. ARD, Carr, and Cox are not the assistants he should have gone into the season with.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

GBG, do you think DH would actually bring in the elder BB offensive guru and turn the offensive end of the floor to him? Just asking....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote:GBG, do you think DH would actually bring in the elder BB offensive guru and turn the offensive end of the floor to him? Just asking....

Um, no.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Can your advanced metrics explain why a poorly designed offensive strategy (your opinion) has an average at best perimeter shooting team connecting on 45% from the field and getting to the line more often than their opponents? That would seem to indicate that our offense must get us some good shots since we don't have a roster full of lights out shooters. It also seems to yield plenty of action in the lane which results in us getting to the line more than our opponents.

If you want to go to bed at night thinking DH is a great recruiter, great defensive coach, great in game coach, great talent evaluator, and great offensive coach, well, fine by me. My way of being a fan is no more right than your way. If you want to look at a coach who is in year six of coaching without getting to the NCAAs and who loses 85% of the big games he coaches and figure out what he can improve on, well, isn't that OK, too. Why is it so terrible to be constructively critical of the staff? I have said (ad nauseam to most on here) that I think DH has most of what it takes to be a good coach. But, won't get over the hump until changes are made on offense. I don't think that is so radical. As to your specific point, turnovers do matter. When you run the weave into iso ball, you will get TOs as you get to the end of the clock. FT% does matter. If you have a team that can't make FTs, other teams know that and defend differently and more aggressively. You have to be able to alter the game plan. He's never had a top 100 offense in the 6 years of coaching. Look at all the NCAA teams from last year. You won't find many, if any, with worse offenses. ARD, Carr, and Cox are not the assistants he should have gone into the season with.
The weave...totally agree on the iso ball/turnover thought...do we think they do that because the team is offensively challenged when it comes to running actual plays and they know that we have to take time off the clock to slow the game down?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

section(105) wrote:GBG, do you think DH would actually bring in the elder BB offensive guru and turn the offensive end of the floor to him? Just asking....
Isn't there a middle ground, though? Find someone you can work with that actually specializes in that? DH is the CEO of this program. Part of that job is constant evaluation and attempting to improve weak spots. Maybe it's a blind spot for him. Maybe he thinks like a lot on this board....if they only made the shots....if they only made FTs...if they only didn't turn it over. I hope not. He starts every game three or four possessions in the hole and that costs the team in big games.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

The weave...totally agree on the iso ball/turnover thought...do we think they do that because the team is offensively challenged when it comes to running actual plays and they know that we have to take time off the clock to slow the game down?
Someone needs to infiltrate the band and have them start playing the Globetrotter theme when they go in to the weave...
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Unable to attend game Saturday. Anyone interested in two Free tickets? First PM gets them.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I don't hear many (if any) people on this board saying that Hurley is a great offensive coach. What I have said is that for me the jury is still out. This would have been the first year where the team actually had the talent to be a well above average offensive team (which is due to Hurley's recruiting prioritization when he came to URI - if you want to argue that was the wrong strategy, I might be able to be swayed). I just don't think that turning our offense into a strength is as easy as "just change the scheme."

When I disagree with your criticisms I am NOT saying that it is wrong to criticize the coaching staff. I'm just saying that your criticisms don't hold water in my eyes and ignore the context of the situation.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

bressler3south wrote:The biggest disappointment this year in my eyes was Coach Hurley's public grieving about E.C. Matthews' devastating injury. Coach Hurley lamented Matthews' situation, and what it meant to the team -- and moreover -- what it meant to him, to the point that as a leader, a coach, as "The Dad of HIs Basketball Family," he crumbled.
When there's a real tragedy or horrible news or a very, very bad blow dealt to a Family, it is the duty, the unceremonious obligation of One Person to Suck It Up and Let Everyone Know That Everything Will Be Okay, to reassure them, to salve their pain, their upset. That person knows inwardly that everything's not okay, but will do everything in his/her power to keep on the bravest face for everyone else.
One rallies those around by being The Pillar, the one everyone goes to in time of need.
Not the other way around.
I very much AGREE with this sentiment. And of course swabbers will think that makes me a Negative Nellie, I think very highly of DH in so many ways, but feel he has a hard time moving on from things, it's probably the same personality component that has him a bad rep with refs, Good call, bad call, play your game, nevermind just play your game. I did state in the past that I like his animation on the sidelines but I've grown tired of when it comes across like a tantrum or whining.

And the reaction to E.C.'s injury was just not at all helpful in any way, to the point where one of the commentators during the TCU game commented on how devastated he was for Dan Hurley. Sure its bad, no matter how you slice it, but seriously E.C. is, as was stated, not the be all end all, this team is loaded with talent and should be 8-2 at very worst. Nevermind the excuses, they're more than sickening, from now on I just want to know WWAMD? of course Archie Miller is not the be all end all of coaches, but its just an example. I get it, Dan has done so much for the program and he excels in so many of the aspects needed to guide a successful program, that its hard to admit this stuff to ourselves, but lets get real here, we haven't had a season match the corresponding hyped pre-season once since DH arrived. Again the hype happens because DH does great work in so many ways, but he has to find a way to suck it up when he gets a lemon and still get the victory, or he'll never be a great college coach. I'm not suggesting throwing in the towel, I think DH could still become that great all around college coach, I am suggesting, though, that results speak for themselves.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

sf2010 wrote:I don't hear many (if any) people on this board saying that Hurley is a great offensive coach. What I have said is that for me the jury is still out. This would have been the first year where the team actually had the talent to be a well above average offensive team (which is due to Hurley's recruiting prioritization when he came to URI - if you want to argue that was the wrong strategy, I might be able to be swayed). I just don't think that turning our offense into a strength is as easy as "just change the scheme."

When I disagree with your criticisms I am NOT saying that it is wrong to criticize the coaching staff. I'm just saying that your criticisms don't hold water in my eyes and ignore the context of the situation.
This is a fair response. The guys he has recruited aren't turning into good FT or three point shooters. I guess my gripe, numbers aside, is more of the eye test of the last four years. I get the talent part of the equation but watching what the kids are asked to run seems to have very little hops of success against good teams.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

GBG, I have to agree with you. This is an endemic problem.

Not an isolated one. As far as I'm concerned, is there light at the end of the tunnel?

We keep losing the close ones, time and time again. And it's caused by different things at different times. Or several things at once, take your pick.

But yes, it's related to the offense, or lack of it. The type of offense Dan runs tends to fall apart under pressure.

The players themselves have to share the blame though. Who on this team can make a game winning shot? Who can make FT's with the game on the line?

We are still looking for guys who are clutch. Last season, TJ was the man when it came to making FT's at the end, and EC could make them at times.

This season?

RR, you kind of sum it up when it comes to DH. He's a great guy, an excellent program builder and an excellent defensive coach.

That's where it stops. He's not the whole package, and I question whether he will be that whole package unless he gets help on the offensive end,.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody went into prevent at Nebraska and got burned. Just hurts more because of the 0-3 in games they could have won against opponents that would have been nice wins. Up the most on Neb. 2 at home. Hurts as a fan.

Rhody has a lot going for it today. A10 play. Going into 2016. Going into next season.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Hurley's offensive philosophy appears to be that he wants to run... When and if he succeeds in getting the depth to do this(next year with guys that can hopefully rebound) we will see what he wants to do... We have seen flashes and it's fun to watch.. He is not a half court offensive coach and he doesn't have the personnel to run a great half court offense... Running rams is what we want and need to get over the hump.. Question is will it ever happen???
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's a good thought to run, and we seem to have guys that are better suited to the running game when it comes to offense.

So that's fine, but one problem with that:

Better teams will force us into more of a half court offense, and especially late in games.

You HAVE to have a good half court offense to win in college basketball.

The system Dan runs falls apart when the other team ramps up their own defense.

That's why we don't get good shots. We rush shots and turn the ball over.

What works early doesn't work with the game on the line. We can get away with it when we have better talent, but when we face teams with roughly equal talent, we always seem to come out on the short end.

It's not a coincidence.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wouldn't say we NEVER win close games. Since Dan has been here, in games decided by 5 points or less, we are 17-22. That's not great, but it's also not NEVER. We just happen to be 0-3 this year in those games.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Do I recall correctly in past DH comments in a prior time here;...."that we/ve seen only 10% of the offensive...."
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

You would think that we will be a deep team next year. But we thought we were going to be pretty deep this year. Shit happens.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

78, you're right, but what is the record in close games against better teams?

I would say considerably worse. We have pulled out games against the likes of St. Louis, Fordham, and TCU, but they don't have similar talent.

They miss the shots that would beat us. Better teams never seem to miss against us.

From the FT line or the field, it's the same old story.....

It's not good, when we have the talent to win these games against PC, Nebraska, and Valpo. We have similar talent, or even better.

If we could win at least half our games against those type of teams, that would be good enough to Dance, since we feast on cupcakes.

What's going to happen against the best of the A10 when the time comes? Same old story again, unless adjustments are made on offense. And the FT shooting improves.

Will it? Some on here maybe think so, but I'm more in the "hope so, but not confident of it" group.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Haven't seen this posted anywhere else. Some outside perspective ...

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/despite- ... ce=twitter
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Broad generalizations that have no back up in this thread. Again, we aren't Davidson from the perimeter, but why do we shoot it at a higher percentage than the team with the best PG in the country facilitating the offense (PC) if we run bad offense.
If a possession ends without a shot (due to a TO or missed FT) what would Bob McKillop do to change that?
Besides the few elite coaches all have areas of strength and weakness...Is half court offense Dan's calling card, maybe not, but to broadly say he cant coach offense is ridiculous. I don't think the weave is the reason Jared Terrell at times tries to do too much and turns it over, or why we threw the ball threw someone's legs into the bench in crunch time, or lobbed a bad pass from an in bounds play that Dunn stole and went in for a dunk.
Our offense is hampered by TOs and bad decision making at times, both things that are glossed over for some fans in the first 30 minutes and rear their head in the last 10.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Has the shot lock reduction to 30 had any impact on the offense.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:Broad generalizations that have no back up in this thread. Again, we aren't Davidson from the perimeter, but why do we shoot it at a higher percentage than the team with the best PG in the country facilitating the offense (PC) if we run bad offense.
If a possession ends without a shot (due to a TO or missed FT) what would Bob McKillop do to change that?
Besides the few elite coaches all have areas of strength and weakness...Is half court offense Dan's calling card, maybe not, but to broadly say he cant coach offense is ridiculous. I don't think the weave is the reason Jared Terrell at times tries to do too much and turns it over, or why we threw the ball threw someone's legs into the bench in crunch time, or lobbed a bad pass from an in bounds play that Dunn stole and went in for a dunk.
Our offense is hampered by TOs and bad decision making at times, both things that are glossed over for some fans in the first 30 minutes and rear their head in the last 10.
This is just trying to be blind about things. Why is so hard for you to place a smidge of blame on the staff? Turnovers and free throws matter. You don't think coaching matters when it comes to turnover rate? You know who is #1 in the country in turnover rate? Davidson. This isn't a coincidence. They were all the way down at....#2!....last year. The last three years for URi....#208/288/314. You want to blame the players DH recruits...I won't argue with you. But, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, well, you know the rest.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Running Ram wrote:
bressler3south wrote:The biggest disappointment this year in my eyes was Coach Hurley's public grieving about E.C. Matthews' devastating injury. Coach Hurley lamented Matthews' situation, and what it meant to the team -- and moreover -- what it meant to him, to the point that as a leader, a coach, as "The Dad of HIs Basketball Family," he crumbled.
When there's a real tragedy or horrible news or a very, very bad blow dealt to a Family, it is the duty, the unceremonious obligation of One Person to Suck It Up and Let Everyone Know That Everything Will Be Okay, to reassure them, to salve their pain, their upset. That person knows inwardly that everything's not okay, but will do everything in his/her power to keep on the bravest face for everyone else.
One rallies those around by being The Pillar, the one everyone goes to in time of need.
Not the other way around.
I very much AGREE with this sentiment. And of course swabbers will think that makes me a Negative Nellie, I think very highly of DH in so many ways, but feel he has a hard time moving on from things, it's probably the same personality component that has him a bad rep with refs, Good call, bad call, play your game, nevermind just play your game. I did state in the past that I like his animation on the sidelines but I've grown tired of when it comes across like a tantrum or whining.

And the reaction to E.C.'s injury was just not at all helpful in any way, to the point where one of the commentators during the TCU game commented on how devastated he was for Dan Hurley. Sure its bad, no matter how you slice it, but seriously E.C. is, as was stated, not the be all end all, this team is loaded with talent and should be 8-2 at very worst. Nevermind the excuses, they're more than sickening, from now on I just want to know WWAMD? of course Archie Miller is not the be all end all of coaches, but its just an example. I get it, Dan has done so much for the program and he excels in so many of the aspects needed to guide a successful program, that its hard to admit this stuff to ourselves, but lets get real here, we haven't had a season match the corresponding hyped pre-season once since DH arrived. Again the hype happens because DH does great work in so many ways, but he has to find a way to suck it up when he gets a lemon and still get the victory, or he'll never be a great college coach. I'm not suggesting throwing in the towel, I think DH could still become that great all around college coach, I am suggesting, though, that results speak for themselves.
WWAMD? Well he'd recruits rapists and thieves and hope for the best. Some people want to win at all costs, but that philosophy will get a hard pass from me.

And one thing you two are missing. Every recruit that comes in here talks about how this is a family, why do you think that is? I'd say it starts with the coach, and you can't just turn on and off personality traits. Saying he should handle himself like an army leader is a. ludicrous, and b. counterproductive. If the side effect to Dan turning his team into a family that rallies around each other is they get a little too down after losing their on court leader, I'll take it, because the rest of the time that philosophy is beneficial.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Running Ram wrote: And one thing you two are missing. Every recruit that comes in here talks about how this is a family, why do you think that is? I'd say it starts with the coach, and you can't just turn on and off personality traits. Saying he should handle himself like an army leader is a. ludicrous, and b. counterproductive. If the side effect to Dan turning his team into a family that rallies around each other is they get a little too down after losing their on court leader, I'll take it, because the rest of the time that philosophy is beneficial.
I mean, this is sportswriter cliche hall of fame stuff. Every recruit saying that is like every baseball player being in the "best shape of their life" in spring training.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Running Ram wrote: And one thing you two are missing. Every recruit that comes in here talks about how this is a family, why do you think that is? I'd say it starts with the coach, and you can't just turn on and off personality traits. Saying he should handle himself like an army leader is a. ludicrous, and b. counterproductive. If the side effect to Dan turning his team into a family that rallies around each other is they get a little too down after losing their on court leader, I'll take it, because the rest of the time that philosophy is beneficial.
I mean, this is sportswriter cliche hall of fame stuff. Every recruit saying that is like every baseball player being in the "best shape of their life" in spring training.
I tend to be skeptical of things that recruits say, but I can honestly say that this seems more true of Hurley-era teams than any of the other URI teams I have witnessed. Watching every game and following the team as closely as I do, it does seem genuine how much the team cares about one another and how tightly they have bonded. I don't doubt that is from Hurley's influence.
0 x