Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPN

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:From now on...whenever someone mentions if we had "EC"...there should be a mandatory donation to the Jimmy Fund (or something like that)...just stop it...it serves no purpose. Look ahead to what THIS team can accomplish...I think it's a LOT.

The 'if we had EC' talk is the biggest mellow harsher there is out there....
So a poster that's been on here for a week and has 30 posts wants to legislate how things on the board should go?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Providence is now ranked #15 in the AP Poll.
http://www.collegepolltracker.com/basketball/
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Fifteenth! Makes me want to punt something. I admit they are better than I thought they'd be because Bentil is so much better than I thought, but I thought they'd struggle to make the NIT. Bentil's emergence and EC's injury are the latest in a long line of sick jokes on URI.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

whatever we need to move on... we have a tough stretch of games ahead of us... It's very important for our ncca chances for us to win out the rest of the non-conference.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Anyone familiar with PC on the recruiting trail. They have Malik but haven't seemed to round up anyone else for the next year.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ATPTourFan wrote:Providence is now ranked #15 in the AP Poll.
HA!

If that was the 15th best team in the country, then Im the damn Pope
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

BleedBlue87 wrote:Anyone familiar with PC on the recruiting trail. They have Malik but haven't seemed to round up anyone else for the next year.
They lost out on their main targets especially bigs.. Marfo, Gabriel, Kieta etc... Pc fans I know told me that every recruit we got couldn't play in the big east and they would never take them... This season has made them think they are a consistent top 20 program every year for some reason..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Fight at Mews not related to game. (Glad to hear that.)
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
friarj
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by friarj »

BleedBlue87 wrote:Anyone familiar with PC on the recruiting trail. They have Malik but haven't seemed to round up anyone else for the next year.
They also have sophomore 6'6" guard Isaiah Jackson a transfer from George Mason who is supposed to be pretty good, so sofar him and Maliek White. I expect they will also add a big, likely someone like Levi Cook (really big)
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

In the words of the always-wise Yoda, "Sensitive and uninformed we are."
I don't know one PC fan (myself included) who thinks PC is a perennial Top 25 team.
Most fans hope that they can be a consistent NCAA team.
There has been some talk on the board today has been expectations after Dunn.
Some concern, some optimism.
Ben Bentil's emergence should make every Friar fan feel a little bit better.
Can someone surprise next season? Bentil won't be able to do it himself.

PC also gains George Mason transfer Isaiah Jackson next season.
6'6 wing, staff is high on him, from what I've heard.
PC still needs a big, involved with some decent prospects.
Darius Hicks, Isaiah Whaley, Levi Cook, Iran Bennett.
Some beef. Think 3 of those guys are 260+ lbs. Whaley had some legal issues I believe.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm pretty sure Hurley said that Thompson could be a scorer in the Xavier Munford mold, like everyone else I loved how dynamic he looked the other night and hope he can keep it up.

Also, I don't even think this was an official game. Hurley didn't get a bench warning, so it doesn't count.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

steveystuds06 wrote:
They lost out on their main targets especially bigs.. Marfo, Gabriel, Kieta etc... Pc fans I know told me that every recruit we got couldn't play in the big east and they would never take them... This season has made them think they are a consistent top 20 program every year for some reason..
I go on there board every once in awhile. There is some nice posters on there who live in the real world and then you got some people who still think the Big East is more like the Big Ten than the A-10. I'm pretty sure Providence would of liked to have Terrell if I remember correctly. That whole talk of not wanting some of our better players is just bull. Since they lost out on Keita and Gabriel I'm sure they would have loved to land Langevine, Tertsea, or Layssard. Seems to me we might have a slight height advantage on them next year.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: Also, I don't even think this was an official game. Hurley didn't get a bench warning, so it doesn't count.
Do over!
He really is trying to bring it down a little.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote:In the words of the always-wise Yoda, "Sensitive and uninformed we are."
I don't know one PC fan (myself included) who thinks PC is a perennial Top 25 team.
Most fans hope that they can be a consistent NCAA team.
There has been some talk on the board today has been expectations after Dunn.
Some concern, some optimism.
Ben Bentil's emergence should make every Friar fan feel a little bit better.
Can someone surprise next season? Bentil won't be able to do it himself.

PC also gains George Mason transfer Isaiah Jackson next season.
6'6 wing, staff is high on him, from what I've heard.
PC still needs a big, involved with some decent prospects.
Darius Hicks, Isaiah Whaley, Levi Cook, Iran Bennett.
Some beef. Think 3 of those guys are 260+ lbs. Whaley had some legal issues I believe.
Well I do know PC fans that have said exactly what I posted earlier. Now as far as being uninformed “How many recruits had PC offers/interest at one point or another? I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that these kids could be nice players, but from a PC standpoint, think each was option 4 or 5 at best in terms of guys the Friars were looking at. The fact that URI prioritized them so high is largely why they are Rams." That's you on the PC board... What I find interesting is all those prospects that you listed are basically right with the guys we signed in regards to their rankings. I don't see how I was uninformed about missing your main targets??? If those prospects are what your after now then they should be your 4th or 5th option right??
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
89er
Michael Andersen

Unread post by 89er »

Does anyone know who the kid was in the same warm-up outfit as EC and Stan? I couldn't figure that out.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:From now on...whenever someone mentions if we had "EC"...there should be a mandatory donation to the Jimmy Fund (or something like that)...just stop it...it serves no purpose. Look ahead to what THIS team can accomplish...I think it's a LOT.

The 'if we had EC' talk is the biggest mellow harsher there is out there....
So a poster that's been on here for a week and has 30 posts wants to legislate how things on the board should go?
Good point...the # of posts submitted is a direct indicator of quality of content. (But still...anyone who takes someone else's comments as 'legislation'...now, THAT is funny.)

My apologies, carry on with the lamenting ;)
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Providence is now ranked #15 in the AP Poll.
HA!

If that was the 15th best team in the country, then Im the damn Pope
The AP Poll means very little before conference play starts so I dont read much into the top 25, PC however has shown they can play with top level competition. It is worth noting that their 2 best wins have come against teams playing without their best player ( Kaleb Tarczewski - Arizona, EC - URI), still being ranked can only be a good thing in terms of perception and recruiting, wish it were us.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They've been good, and also lucky.

We've been pretty good, but always unlucky.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How is this for being lucky:

Illinois misses a lay up and dunk in last 3 seconds to lose by 1.
Arizona plays without their all PAC 10 7 foot center.
We play without EC.

All their other wins were gimmes.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

steveystuds06 wrote:
Incoming recruits are rated between #64 - #37 at their positions and have overall grades ranging from 70 - 77 according to ESPN.

Jarvis Garett - #93 at his position - 66 overall grade on ESPN
Hassan Martin - #40 at his position - 77 overall grade on ESPN -
EC Mathews - #19 at his position - 80 overall grade on ESPN - Garnering NBA attention

Two out of the the three current players listed above made PC look silly. Jarvis was driving to the basket at will with time expiring numerous times. Hass was dunking all over each one of those fools. So....if a guy like Garett at 66 and Hass at 77 (a Sophomore and Junior mind you) can abuse PC the way that they did, without EC mind you...meanwhile they still had Dunn...then that means not only is Dan an AMAZING coach/far better than Cooley, but that means the incoming recruits with similar coaching and development will end up owning PC.
Sooooo...if the Big East wouldn't take them, that's not saying much about the Big East or their belief in their coaches' abilities in general. Although, I do have to say that Cooley does know how to teach players how to dunk. Oh, wait. Sorry. I forgot. Mr. NBA clanged his dunk off the rim. The easiest thing for a tall player to do with a wide open court on a breakaway....just him and a stationary rim...to just physically place the ball through the hoop with their hand...to just place it over the cylinder...to just allow gravity to do it's thing...with no one in the way...just him and the hole...just place it in the hole. I guess for some that's a struggle. ;)
Last edited by The Dude 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Ram82
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Ram82 »

I'm moving forward, as this was just one game with about 2/3 of the season still ahead of us. The way I see it, this may be viewed as a "good loss" to a ranked team by the end of the season - which won't necessarily hurt us, if the team takes care of business from hear on out.

The Rams are still in the process of adapting to life without EC, and the way I see it, we are close to having an entirely new template (from what Danny had planned out for the season) in place.

Now, can we sustain the energy in the Ryan Center for the rest of the season? Hopefully so, as there's some very good basketball to be played.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

PC fans still talking about the URI fans on their board. Looks like they haven't moved on either ever after a win..
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

CT Rhody wrote:PC fans still talking about the URI fans on their board. Looks like they haven't moved on either ever after a win..
It's "just another game on their schedule!"

Lol
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Like the Patriots, "we're on to Houston"
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I don't know many PC fans from RI who see URI as another game on the schedule.
Some of my fondest moments as a kid were being at the PCC age 7-8, in the crowd as a visitor in the 200s, cheering against URI in the late 90s.
But I still was a young kid, watching the Elite 8 run with great interest. Can remember having the little rabbit-eared TV in my bedroom, watching the games.
But college basketball is often such an after-though in New England these days, outside of pockets of UCONN, PC, and URI fans. BC has no fans, UMASS? Harvard? Vermont?
They took away our local sports radio in RI, replaced it with regional network, which focuses on Celtics, the Patriots, and the Red Sox.
Finding someone to talk NCAAT is impossible, forget local teams.
I think that has hurt the state, my friends would never know or care about PC if it wasn't for me.
But they know a lot about the Bruins, a team many of them never followed growing up.
It's why I always say I want PC and URI to be good, desperately, so people around the state are always talking, kids who decide at a young age that they loved watching PC or URI hoops, want to go to school there, and lead the student section.
PC and URI both had such a decade of suckitude, that they are still trying to rebuild the image.
Students who show up and cheer, fans who consistently show up.
Despite an uptick recently, it's still far from where it was, and where we as diehard fans want it to be.
You go to the RC tonight or the Dunk tomorrow night, I'm sure you'll be able to put your coats in the seats to your left and right, your feet on the seat in front, and still have plenty of room from hitting anybody.
I look forward to the days again, where the RC and Dunk are impossible to get a seat, buzz is in the state, and college basketball is back.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I don't know many PC fans from RI who see URI as another game on the schedule.
Some of my fondest moments as a kid were being at the PCC age 7-8, in the crowd as a visitor in the 200s, cheering against URI in the late 90s.
But I still was a young kid, watching the Elite 8 run with great interest. Can remember having the little rabbit-eared TV in my bedroom, watching the games.
But college basketball is often such an after-though in New England these days, outside of pockets of UCONN, PC, and URI fans. BC has no fans, UMASS? Harvard? Vermont?
They took away our local sports radio in RI, replaced it with regional network, which focuses on Celtics, the Patriots, and the Red Sox.
I think that has hurt the state, my friends would never know or care about PC if it wasn't for me.
But they know a lot about the Bruins, a team many of them never followed growing up.
It's why I always say I want PC and URI to be good, desperately, so people around the state are always talking, kids who decide at a young age that they loved watching PC or URI hoops, want to go to school there, and lead the student section.
PC and URI both had such a decade of suckitude, that they are still trying to rebuild the image.
Despite an uptick recently, it's still far from where it was, and where we as diehard fans want it to be.
You go to the RC tonight or the Dunk tomorrow night, I'm sure you'll be able to put your coats in the seats to your left and right, your feet on the seat in front, and still have plenty of room from hitting anybody.
I look forward to the days again, where the RC and Dunk are impossible to get a seat, buzz is in the state, and college basketball is back.
This is actually a good post. I could co-sign a lot of this in terms of my experience and my thoughts on what has happened to college basketball in RI.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I don't know many PC fans from RI who see URI as another game on the schedule.
I saw numerous people write that on the PC board along with saying that to URI this game was our superbowl, but anyway I agree would love both teams to be successful and RI basketball to be really popular. I'm probably one of the only people on here who root for PC when they're not playing URI because they are representing rhode island.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Joe wrote:
I saw numerous people write that on the PC board along with saying that to URI this game was our superbowl, but anyway I agree would love both teams to be successful and RI basketball to be really popular. I'm probably one of the only people on here who root for PC when they're not playing URI because they are representing rhode island.
Do you know who Dave Gavitt is?
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Joe wrote:
Do you know who Dave Gavitt is?
Not until I looked him up - old PC coach?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Who's Dwight Eisenhower?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Good thing we have some fine historians on this board to let Joe know about good ol Dave.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

bressler3south wrote:Who's Dwight Eisenhower?
Who's Jerry West?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

bressler3south wrote:
Who's Jerry West?
Who's Burt Lancaster?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

bressler3south wrote:
bressler3south wrote:
Who's Jerry West?
Who's Burt Lancaster?
Who's Lenny Wilkens?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When you looked up to see who Dave Gavitt was, did it show a piece of scum?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:When you looked up to see who Dave Gavitt was, did it show a piece of scum?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:When you looked up to see who Dave Gavitt was, did it show a piece of scum?
Dave!!!
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

I wasn't even alive during the 1998 run I don't know any old RI coaches
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Joe wrote:
I wasn't even alive during the 1998 run I don't know any old RI coaches
I wasn't alive when Ernie Calverley played for Frank Keaney, but I certainly know who they are.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

eli#10 wrote:How is this for being lucky:

Illinois misses a lay up and dunk in last 3 seconds to lose by 1.
Arizona plays without their all PAC 10 7 foot center.
We play without EC.

All their other wins were gimmes.
It's a good team that takes advantage of breaks.Did Uri beat PC when Kris Dunn was out and PC was playing with 5 scholarship players no.Btw did you happen to notice that same Arizona team without their 7 foot center just beat Gonzaga on their home court.Uri has not beaten an NCAA type team in two years.They did not beat one team that made the tournament last year.
Last edited by woodennickel1 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Hey, Wooden Dumbass, you'd think you'd be able to spell your teams star player's name correctly.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

woodennickel1 wrote: It's a good team that takes advantage of breaks.Did Uri beat PC when Kris Dunn was out and PC was playing with 5 scholarship players no.Btw did you happen to notice that same Arizona team without their 7 foot center just beat Gonzaga on their home court.Uri has not beaten an NCAA type team in two years.They did not beat one team that made the tournament last year.
Maybe they don't teach this in the religion classes at PC, but when writing we usually put a space after the period at the end of a sentence. Feel free to PM me if you need further assistance.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote: It's a good team that takes advantage of breaks.Did Uri beat PC when Kris Dunn was out and PC was playing with 5 scholarship players no.Btw did you happen to notice that same Arizona team without their 7 foot center just beat Gonzaga on their home court.Uri has not beaten an NCAA type team in two years.They did not beat one team that made the tournament last year.
Maybe they don't teach this in the religion classes at PC, but when writing we usually put a space after the period at the end of a sentence. Feel free to PM me if you need further assistance.
To be fair, no way this guy has a college education. Only like 2% of Friar fans do.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Hey this Joe guy doesn't know Eisenhower......

But he is young and didn't see the heyday! Means we still have some kind of appeal!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'm not going to touch on Woody's comments. I wouldn't even know where to begin. It's just laden with grammar issues.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I sincerely hope PC fans are careful tomorrow at the game versus BC. Several Eagles players got sick from eating at Chipotle. It was first thought to be e coli but the Boston Dept of Health is now reporting that a Chipotle food prep employee had the norovirus. The norovirus is highly contagious and can be spread through contact. It would be such a tragedy if PC fans contracted it, especially some of those that regularly post on their Scout Board.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Hey this Joe guy doesn't know Eisenhower......

But he is young and didn't see the heyday! Means we still have some kind of appeal!
Everyone knows who Eisenhower is, I just don't know anything about old pc coaches haha

I have a lot of hope about this teams future, 2017, 2018 and beyond will be crazy years. And this year isnt over yet either ...
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Haha Joe don't let them make you feel bad for not knowing the history of RI basketball like the back of your hand. It's not your fault that you're not 55. I hope that looking up Dave Gavitt did give you a good background on part of the reason URI fans hate PC so much - there is actually somewhat of a rational explanation for it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Wasn't Dave Gavitt the President of the Boston Celtics that oversaw the decline of the franchise.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

That Wooden post just made my morning how did he spell Kris Dunn?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING