Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 8: Providence College (Saturday, Dec 5, 7:00pm ESPN

Unread post by TruePoint »

Dunne
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Dunne
Oh thats priceless.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

In a few months, he'll be "done."
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote:That Wooden post just made my morning how did he spell Kris Dunn?
And he obviously looked up the correct spelling and edited the post. He really shouldn't post his thoughts in public. It's pretty embarrassing.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

The Dude wrote:I'm not going to touch on Woody's comments. I wouldn't even know where to begin. It's just laden with grammar issues.
LOL Wow! Can't tell you how impressed I am with you coming to a message board to correct people's grammer.You must be really smart
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

woodennickel1 wrote:
The Dude wrote:I'm not going to touch on Woody's comments. I wouldn't even know where to begin. It's just laden with grammar issues.
LOL Wow! Can't tell you how impressed I am with you coming to a message board to correct people's grammer.You must be really smart
And you obviously are not.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

woodennickel1 wrote:
This one has a spelling issue, so spelling and grammar are both issues.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
It's almost as impressive as coming to a message board of a team that you don't root for and posting over 100 times. Still can't understand people like that who take it upon themselves to be the voice of their respective fan bases.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Damn still struggling with the space after periods. Don't worry, we'll get there. I'm here for you.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Damn still struggling with the space after periods. Don't worry, we'll get there. I'm here for you.
It's either no space, or just no period. Interesting take on English.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

"With the exception of a too-small cadre of loyal fans, Rams rooters would rather whine and complain about the state of the program, and how Providence College takes precedence in eyes of many Rhode Islanders, than come to the Ryan Center and stand and cheer for their state university."

http://m.providencejournal.com/article/ ... /151209322
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

emBARONsing
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Donaldson and his media buddies are part of the problem. They're the ones who have been brainwashing the locals for the past 50 years or so as to what a wonderful program PC has.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Nationally ranked Providence College, coming off two NCAA seasons, drew 5,169 for their last game versus Hartford.

I would bet if URI was ranked and coming off two NCAA appearances, attendance would have been much higher than it was last night for Houston.

Attendance at college sporting events is not just an issue at URI. It is happening everywhere.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Donaldson and his media buddies are part of the problem. They're the ones who have been brainwashing the locals for the past 50 years or so as to what a wonderful program PC has.
I agree that he and others in the local media certainly do not help matters. He however does have a valid point here.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I agree with Donaldson on most of his rants about other teams and athletes....we can't cry when he is rightly critical of us.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying Donaldson is wrong about us. I agree that except for the hard cores, our fan base sucks. I'm just saying the media helped create what is largely a pro-PC attitude for most basketball fans in our state.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:Nationally ranked Providence College, coming off two NCAA seasons, drew 5,169 for their last game versus Hartford.

I would bet if URI was ranked and coming off two NCAA appearances, attendance would have been much higher than it was last night for Houston.

Attendance at college sporting events is not just an issue at URI. It is happening everywhere.

A common idea that I strongly agree with, but...'can they' GET ranked? Do they have the schedule/talent for it?
If they beat Nebraska, IONA, ODU, Brown, St L, and Richmond...does that get them ranked? I
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm not saying Donaldson is wrong about us. I agree that except for the hard cores, our fan base sucks. I'm just saying the media helped create what is largely a pro-PC attitude for most basketball fans in our state.

Any chance that "winning" creates the attitude AND probably drives the media coverage...?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We did plenty of winning when I was in school in the late 70s. Even our state government wished PC well in the NCAA tournament. We were in it too. The state school didn't exist in their mind. Why? Because PC dominated the media coverage. And we were the better team at the time.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That article was already posted this morning in the Houston game thread.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Interesting how that article chose to show the end zone that is always filled last in every game. The opposite end zone was full of students, but I made a comment to a friend of mine that I thought they should do a better job of seating and distributing the student body more evenly in each end zone. Having one end zone almost completely empty just looks really bad on TV and to media in general. Anyway, it would be nice to see some more students at the games. I wish we had this kind of talent and team when I was in school. Lazy kids were barely cheering in the Houston game without EZ having to encourage them every two seconds. It was kind of sad.

On a separate note, karma may already be biting PC in the rear end. Bentil is out of the game vs. BC with an ankle injury at half time.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't like to wish injury on anyone, but it would have been nice if that had happened to him in the 1st half Saturday night.

We'd all be talking about a win then.

I'll take a win, almost anyway we can get it. We were missing one of our best players, weren't we?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That actually sucks though, because as much as it goes against all instinct, the better PC does the better it is for us. If anyone on their team is going to get injured or have any limbs amputated, you'd prefer that to happen before we play them.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I want Dunn in Celtic green next year so please be 100% all year
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dunn wasn't the main reason we lost.

It was Bentil more than anyone.

Hopefully our big man recruits can help contain him next time....
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

hrstrat57 wrote:I want Dunn in Celtic green next year so please be 100% all year
So he can play 4th string point guard? This makes no sense to me.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote:Dunn wasn't the main reason we lost.

It was Bentil more than anyone.

Hopefully our big man recruits can help contain him next time....
While Bentil obviously had a great game, Dunn is such an incredible presence out there that the entire defense is focused on him. Meaning, I think it's easier for Bentil to score because every other defender on the floor is keeping an eye on Dunn at all times. Again though, Bentil was very impressive in that game.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

860_rhody wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:I want Dunn in Celtic green next year so please be 100% all year
So he can play 4th string point guard? This makes no sense to me.
Right? The Celtics need a #1 scorer. Getting a knock off Marcus Smart isn't going to solve much.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ben Simmons?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't know if Simmons will score 25ppg in the NBA, but I would step over certain of my own family members to get Ben Simmons in green.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:I don't know if Simmons will score 25ppg in the NBA, but I would step over certain of my own family members to get Ben Simmons in green.
The Nets have been winning too much lately. It's making me angry.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:Ben Simmons?
Simmons is the clear #1 draft pick at this point. Good god he's awesome.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I wonder if we will see another Donaldson column about disappointing local attendance in tomorrow's edition of the Jounral. Providence College, coming off an exciting last second road win and having its highest ranking (#15) since 2004 drew just 8,425 for its game versus Boston College at the 12,400 seat Dunkin Donuts Center.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:I wonder if we will see another Donaldson column about disappointing local attendance in tomorrow's edition of the Jounral. Providence College, coming off an exciting last second road win and having its highest ranking (#15) since 2004 drew just 8,425 for its game versus Boston College at the 12,400 seat Dunkin Donuts Center.
That's still about 5000 more than we got at our game.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
RF1 wrote:I wonder if we will see another Donaldson column about disappointing local attendance in tomorrow's edition of the Jounral. Providence College, coming off an exciting last second road win and having its highest ranking (#15) since 2004 drew just 8,425 for its game versus Boston College at the 12,400 seat Dunkin Donuts Center.
We however weren't coming off an exciting last second win with a #15 national ranking.

The numbers were disappointing for both games in my view.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

At least they got to about 75% capacity. We didn't even get 50%.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
We however weren't coming off an exciting last second win with a #15 national ranking.

The numbers were disappointing for both games in my view.
That's a pretty good number for a mid-week game against a crappy team that was also in the news for having most of its team out because of a communicable virus from Chipotle. PC might have had a better gate with a 5-on-5 scrimmage.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

There are a lot of BC grads in the greater Providence are. Also people from Warwick will drive to the Dump because "we're only going downtown", whereas Kingston is somewhere near the Conn.-NY line.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Kingston is in the middle of nowhere with a crappy 2 lane road as it's only access.

URI games will NEVER draw as well as the Dump. Has nothing to do with the capacity of the arenas.

PC plays its games in a metro area with hundreds of thousands of people living nearly, and it's just off of Rt. 95.

URI has more cows than people living nearby.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

you can get in and out of Kingston a lot faster than Providence plus parking is free. In the summer I don't see any of these dipshits from north of EG saying its too far as they invade south county. URI is a whopping 4 miles from RT 1 and 3 miles from RT 2. not exactly the middle of nowhere.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

For the love of God, RI residents, pack a lunch, drive more than 2 towns away and go see a URI game. Get out and explore!

I grew up in West Warwick. Going to URI, it might as well have been UCLA for the distance my family thought it was.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Funny, RI residents have no problems finding
Foxwoods, Mohegan Sun, of Gillette Stadium.
Face it, our fanbase is very small.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have plenty of alumni who live in Providence County, probably a good deal more than live in Washington County.

They would more likely go to the Dunk for our games, than the Ryan Center.

It's a Ro-Dylan thing.

Driving 25 miles into the wilderness is just too much for these folks.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I really don't think it's miles or anything else.
Many alums just don't care.
I've read several people on the enemy board say they are URI
grads, but are PC fans.
My sister went to every game as a student, and
has not once gone to a game since graduating.
I think apathy is the main culprit, not time or distance.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, they see us losing key games from a distance time and time again over many years, with no trips to the NCAA's.

Maybe, just maybe, some of them will come when they see us actually win some of those games.

Otherwise, it's a bridge too far.

I think even Dan realizes by now, we have to win and win big to change the perception of this program.

Maybe that's what Ace means when she said that Dan is done talking about attendance issues.

Or maybe he's just getting fed up with it.....
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

another factor to consider in the attendance debate is the increase in TV coverage. More games on TV will have an effect on attendance, especially weeknight games.

Its a combo of increased TV coverage, distance to travel, day of the week and opponent.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I've always thought giving away the product was a mistake.
Why leave the comfort of home to drive somewhere and
pay?
The only thing that will boost attendance is winning.
No amount of marketing, or gimmicks can have the
impact that a winning program has.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rod mentions the 9000+ average at the CC in '78. No coincidence that was probably the best team we've ever had.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Also, college basketball may have been at its peak
here in RI.
Both URI and PC had NCAA teams, both loaded with'star
players.
Sports talk was big then, too.
No big conferences in the Northeast.
So different than now in many ways.