Week #3 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #3 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

The polls out today continue to show lots of turnover in the Top 25, typical of the early season. No A-10 teams were ranked in the top 25 in either polls. In the AP poll, GW and Dayton got votes. GW and Dayton also got votes in the USA Today poll as did Davidson.

Cumulative record of URI OOC opponents now stands at 27-23, a winning percentage of .541. Patriot and Metro Atlantic opponents contributed 11 of the losses alone.

Good showing by the conference this past week and the A-10 cumulative record in OOC play now is at 44-10, .815 winning percentage, with seven teams yet to suffer a loss.

Monday action for A-10 teams:

* Duquesne versus Pepperdine in the Gulf Coast Showcase in Estero, FL. 2:30 PM. This game already underway and Pepperdine leads the Dukes, 36-21 at end of first half.

* Lafayette at LaSalle. 7 PM.

* 3-0 Mercer at 2-0 Davidson. 7 PM.

* UMass versus Clemson in the Main Event tourney in Las Vegas. 9:30 PM.
(BTW, a comment on the UMass message board said the injury to EC couldn't have happened to a better coach and fan base. Hard to root for UMass given that no class comment.)

In the only OOC action:

* NJIT at Providence. 6:30 PM.

In another game, Vanderbilt is pummeling St. John's, 53 -24 at the half in Maui.
Last edited by Obadiah 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #3 - Games of Interest

Unread post by ace »

There's a certain segment of the UMass fanbase who is obsessed with Dan Hurley. It's disturbing. Or hilarious. Maybe both. If he was actually a horrible human being, maybe they'd be on to something, but it really is just that they don't seem to like how he coaches, say he's completely classless. But then they celebrate an injury to a college kid.

Duquesne will be living and dying by their outside shooting. Today? Dying so far, 0-13 from 3.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Screw Dumbass. Can we please sweep those scrubs this year?
Best of luck against Clemson tonight.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Duquesne absorbs its first loss of young season as they fall to Pepperdine, 84-70. The Dukes trailed most of the way.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Wake Forest knocked off Indiana, a team many pundits are high on. I believe Richmond beat Wake opening week.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Dunn is close to a Quadruple double this guy is amazing to watch
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

steveystuds06 wrote:Dunn is close to a Quadruple double this guy is amazing to watch
My friend at the game sent me a picture of the crowd - there probably isn't 3500 people there. I don't know what they will announce, but it makes the crowds at the Ryan so far seem pretty respectable.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Terrible night at the Dunk. Early start lost a lot of people, Pats game didn't help. And even though NJIT has a decent team, to most they are no different than facing Johnson & Wales.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

UMASS is just nailing threes against Clemson. Smokin them 53-28 right now.
Trey Davis just nailed back to back 40 footers.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:UMASS is just nailing threes against Clemson. Smokin them 53-28 right now.
Trey Davis just nailed back to back 40 footers.
UMass fans are gross, but then winning against a P5 team is good for the A10
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:Dunn is close to a Quadruple double this guy is amazing to watch
My friend at the game sent me a picture of the crowd - there probably isn't 3500 people there. I don't know what they will announce, but it makes the crowds at the Ryan so far seem pretty respectable.

Announced crowd for NJIT was 5,009. PC has had very good size crowds for its first three games and its average through four games is 7,815. Playing NJIT during the holiday week on a Monday at 6:30pm with a Pats games hurt tonight's gate.

Harvard 9,477
Illinois 8,069
Brown 8,706
NJIT 5,009
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Announced crowd for NJIT was 5,009. PC has had very good size crowds for its first three games and its average through four games is 7,815. Playing NJIT during the holiday week on a Monday at 6:30pm with a Pats games hurt tonight's gate.

Harvard 9,477
Illinois 8,069
Brown 8,706
NJIT 5,009
They're also obviously not above announcing crowds twice the number of how many people actually showed up, which doesn't hurt either. I'm not criticizing them for this. Crowd sizes are like roster heights. Nobody gives the real number except the people at URI.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhode Island at 6 on CBSSN, Arizona State at 8 on ESPN2. My plans for tonight are set.

Wojo vs Bobby is an interesting coaching match-up. Who do the Duke haters root for?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ace wrote:Rhode Island at 6 on CBSSN, Arizona State at 8 on ESPN2. My plans for tonight are set.

Wojo vs Bobby is an interesting coaching match-up. Who do the Duke haters root for?
No one.
However, URI fans root for Bobby Hurley, Jr., for his time at URI…..
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Harvard 9,477
Illinois 8,069
Brown 8,706
NJIT 5,009
They're also obviously not above announcing crowds twice the number of how many people actually showed up, which doesn't hurt either. I'm not criticizing them for this. Crowd sizes are like roster heights. Nobody gives the real number except the people at URI.

It's no different than URI as attendance is sold tickets.
I guarantee you that URI actual attendance is not the actual number of warm bodies in the seats

PC has a lot more season ticket holders than URI so tons stayed away last night due to business travel, work, family events, perceived lack of a quality opponent, illness, Patriots game, etc. The actual attendance was more likely 2500.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In Tuesday action in the A-10:

* In a game now underway, Gardner-Webb plays at GW in a Barclays Center Classic campus site game.

* In the Gulf Coast Showcase, Duquesne meets Milwaukee. At 12 Noon.

* TCU versus URI in the Cancun Challenge. 6 PM. On CBS Sports.

* St. Bonaventure at Canisius. 7 PM. On ESPN3.

* In a Brooklyn Hoops Classic campus site game, St. Louis hosts North Florida. 8 PM.

* Colgate at Fordham. 8 PM.

In OOC action besides Rider vs. Cleveland State and Illinois State vs. Maryland at Cancun:

* UNH at Brown. 7 PM.

* Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Nebraska as part of the Barclays Center Classic. 8 PM.

* Valparaiso at Oregon State. 9 PM. On PAC12.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

GW beats Gardner-Webb 94-65
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote:
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

ramster wrote:

Harvard 9,477
Illinois 8,069
Brown 8,706
NJIT 5,009

I guarantee you that URI actual attendance is not the actual number of warm bodies in the seats

PC has a lot more season ticket holders than URI so tons stayed away last night due to business travel, work, family events, perceived lack of a quality opponent, illness, Patriots game, etc. The actual attendance was more likely 2500.

PC attendance isn't tickets sold, it's actual turnstile count. There are close to 7,000 season ticket holders this year so if you counted tickets sold it would never be below that. Last year at the game that replaced one that was snowed out, the attendance was below a thousand. Killed the overall for the entire season.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Duquesne needs OT but beats Milwaukee 96-92. The A-10 is now a combined 40-11 (D1 only) to start the year.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Very nice.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If anyone missed it posted in another thread, Cleveland State won today against Rider.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Makes you wonder a little bit about Maryland....overrated?

Need to win tonight to find out soon......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't know that you can necessarily draw those kinds of conclusions. Could be, or maybe they slept walked in that game and as a result will come out extra focused today and tomorrow. Never really can tell.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Don't think that's ever been done before in D1. KD came close to doing it last night. Any chance he can pull it off this season?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bonnies closing out a win in the Little 5 matchup against Baron's Golden Griffs. Go Brown Indians!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SBU wins at Canisius 77-73. A-10 is 4-0 on the day thus far and its teams have leads in the two games not completed.

A-10 record vs D1 is currently at 42-11 (.792) and it is rated 2nd in RPI. The league is 8-5 vs the Power-5 and 2-0 vs the AAC. This has been a very good start to the year. The supposed bottom tier teams in the league are performing much better than expected.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

St. Louis wins
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote:Rhode Island at 6 on CBSSN, Arizona State at 8 on ESPN2. My plans for tonight are set.
1-1
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

Captainron@ wrote:
ramster wrote:

Harvard 9,477
Illinois 8,069
Brown 8,706
NJIT 5,009

PC attendance isn't tickets sold, it's actual turnstile count. There are close to 7,000 season ticket holders this year so if you counted tickets sold it would never be below that. Last year at the game that replaced one that was snowed out, the attendance was below a thousand. Killed the overall for the entire season.
i'd say 5k was fair. it took a while for the small crowd to even get in the building.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Given the glass house we live in I don't think we should be throwing stones at PCs attendance.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Manhattan is expected to have just 5 scholarship players available for their game against George Mason.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Wow, what's going on over at Manhattan? They had been on a roll the past few years.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Chris Mullin's coaching attire is one of my favorite things from the tournaments this week.

Manhattan has a lot of injuries and also lost a player (Jermaine Lawrence) who left following a discrepancy about positive drug tests/length of suspension/maybe something else I'm forgetting.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yesterday's perfect day in the A10 has bumped the conference to #6 in RPI Forecast (full season prediction). At the moment, it is ranked #2 for games played this season so far (but that's not as important).

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confrpi.html
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

That's nice, but unless we beat that hideous disgusting school that shall not be named it won't mean anything to me.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Getting to the NCAA Tournament is 1000x more important than beating PC.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Getting to the NCAA Tournament is 1000x more important than beating PC.
True, but beating PC will help us with the more important goal.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, it's more important, by about one tenth of one percent.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:Given the glass house we live in I don't think we should be throwing stones at PCs attendance.
That wasn't really what I was doing. I was more pointing out that many teams struggle to fill their building at this point in the season against off-brand opponents.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Given the glass house we live in I don't think we should be throwing stones at PCs attendance.
That wasn't really what I was doing. I was more pointing out that many teams struggle to fill their building at this point in the season against off-brand opponents.
This is my biggest gripe with all the attendance talk around here. While I agree it would be nice if the numbers were a little stronger at the Ryan Center, I think that sometimes people miss that's its a bigger problem then just at URI.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Nick Saban goes on a rant monthly over fans leaving early or not showing up.

The pats game against the bills had a ton of empty seats.

There is a certain combo that lends itself to a packed house.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I love this

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Why can't we get players like that?

:lol: :P :o :shock:
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

TCU is putting it to ISU.
Hate that freakiin' clock with the red numbers. Some assholes have to over think everything.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Richmond in nice win for the A-10 over #14 California, 94-90 in the Las Vegas Invitational. Richmond got the win on great shooting across the board. Forward Terry Allen put in 34 points with 17 coming from the FT line. Allen also gathered in 13 boards.

In other A-10 action, GW leads Tennessee early in the second half, 48-34, in Brooklyn at the Barclays Center Classic.

Also, Dayton in a tussle with upstart Monmouth, winner last night over Notre Dame. The Flyers have a four point lead with 4 minutes left in the first half.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Also noticed that Northeastern beat #15 Miami by a point. They don't play us, but we are seeing teams that we're supposed to be better than, beating top 25 teams.

With what we have now, could we beat those teams?
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

It's a really interesting start to the NCAA Men's Basketball season to say the least. I honestly can't recall the last time there were so many upsets this early in the season. Monmouth beat Notre Dame the other day. Alabama just beat Wichita State. Based on what I've seen thus far, I can't figure out whether the A10 teams are better this year than anyone thought they would be or if the rest of the teams aren't as good as people thought they would be.
This season could be a wild ride. I don't envy a the selection committee come tournament time. Good luck sorting out the mess. haha.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

10 teams in the AP top 25 have lost this week

10 Gonzaga
13 Indiana (twice)
14 Cal (twice)
15 Miami
17 ND
18 UConn (twice)
19 Vandy (in fairness to 5 Kansas)
20 Wichita St (twice)
22 LSU (twice)
25 Texas A&M
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

#11 Zona on the ropes against PC right now as well. Have to say, PC is playing on a different level than we are right now. Going to be an absolute handful next week if they keep playing this way.
0 x