Game 3: Cleveland State (Sat. Nov. 21, 7:30PM)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Game 3: Cleveland State (Sat. Nov. 21, 7:30PM)

Unread post by Running Ram »

I like Berry, need more Berry, love that he creates so much space for others to move to the hoop just by working for position, twice he sealed off two guys just by virtue of his size, the help got there late, getting around all that solid.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Running Ram wrote:I like Berry, need more Berry, love that he creates so much space for others to move to the hoop just by working for position, twice he sealed off two guys just by virtue of his size, the help got there late, getting around all that solid.
On offense, he was pretty much a pick setter. And you're right, that's a lot of pick to get around.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

BAR not sure which two guys on that lineup can actually put it on the deck. I would argue that only Jarvis can freelance all over the floor at this point on the whole team.

Iverson/Terrell although dribble differently and have different body types. I think categorically right now they aren't guys that you want pounding the deck too long. Still allow them to get the ball off the defensive rebound/turnover and go, but ideally they both are guys you want catching the ball with their feet on the 3 point line, going forward and doing something decisive.

Against pressure Iverson handles the ball and passes well enough that the 3 of them can get the ball up the court safely.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

The view from 205

1. 4700 people, that's actually not that bad. Kudos to the students who showed up and cheered. Alot of de-fense and let's go rhody from them. Interesting to see if some will get back early on Thanksgiving weekend to see Rider.
2. Kudos also to Earl. Didn't lose too much or for that matter anything when Hassan went out with fouls. Played great defense.
3. Lots of turnovers. As bad as Cleveland State was, they pressured the in bound pass, and we either made some silly mistakes or threw the ball over the press and didn't finish.
4. Thompson was so nervous. After he airballed a shot from the corner you sort of knew that he was going to be gun shy. All he needs is a couple of positive minutes, especially on the offense, and he will get there.
5. Iverson is getting better. For me its that I'm just not used to a guy that tall dribbling down the court. His rise in point production (to help take away the loss of EC) is critical.
6. We play some really kick ass defense. Kaull brought it up on the post game that we don't press, but our man to man half court defense is great. Cleveland, at times, had a tough time getting off a shot, or at the very least, a good one.
7. It's nice to see a blow out especially when Four and Hassan had limited minutes.
8. Only negative of the evening. Driving back to Manchester Ct., they closed route 395 near Norwich for two hours because of a bad accident. A one and a half hour drive became 4 hours. Got home around one. (Still worth the effort)
9. Beat TCU!!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Neil, your legend grows by the game!! 4 hours to get home without a flake of snow to be seen! wow
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If we can beat the friars attendance will improve.....if we can't.....low 5000's all year.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Neil,

Some of my thoughts on your thoughts:
Also pleased with the 4700. At the Valpo game my guess is 1000 of the 4800 were students from Middle and Elementary schools who attended for free. The students were enthusiastic and I like the idea of letting them come to games and develop a love for their local State University.

We are favored by 14 and won by 28. If you ever told me we would do that with no EC Mathews, Hassan Martin playing only 19 minutes and getting only 1 total rebound and our high scorer for the season so far to be held to 6 points I would have said no way.

Our defense is kick-ass as you say. I say it is a sufocating defense. The defense against Valpo was umbelieveable. Iverson, Martin and Watson are amazing inside. Valpo shot horribly in the first half and it was the interior defense that impacted them the most. Same thing weigh Cleveland State. I think we make teams look horrible - more horrible than they really are. Many postings about Free Throws and offense but I think the defense if what characterizes this team and this Coaching Staff. After years and years of watching ole defense by the Baron Coached teams this is just an amazing thing to watch. Defense is what will put this team in the NCAA tournament.

Thompson is and has been nervous so it was good to see him get 22 minutes last night. He needs to get a few break-a-way or put pack layups to get his confidence going but he will be fine. He finished with 5 rebounds and led the team with 4 assists - so not bad for a Freshman in his 3rd college game of his career to lead the team in assists. His point production will come. He can shoot the 3 ball and has the potential to be a very good player for URI.

Iverson also in only his 3rd game. He has improved much just since game 1. Rebounding and defense improving each game. Love this kid and his potential.

Watson's weight loss is phenomenal. He is much quicker to the ball, quicker to avoid fouls, improved his shot blocking and rebounding and also much improved his stamina. Watson, Martin and Iverson makes the most formidable big man line up that we have had in a long time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Speaking of Thompson, my favorite play of the game was when he laid out for a loose ball. I love that stuff.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Speaking of Thompson, my favorite play of the game was when he laid out for a loose ball. I love that stuff.
Agree, a page our of the TJ Buchanan book.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

CoxHub has the post-game press conference from Dan Hurley and highlights.

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/hurley-a ... lling-card
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ATPTourFan wrote:CoxHub has the post-game press conference from Dan Hurley

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/hurley-after-cleveland-state-win-defense-is-our-calling-card
I must say, CoxHub has done a great job covering this team. A new article is published almost every day.
0 x
Go Rhody