If EC is out for the year... and he is

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: If EC is out for the year... and he is

Unread post by twisted3829 »

so coming back from an acl for a pitcher that lands on that leg/knee every pitch has no effect as this situation? i will disagree with that
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Bill Koch is a hack
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

twisted3829 wrote:so coming back from an acl for a pitcher that lands on that leg/knee every pitch has no effect as this situation? i will disagree with that
Of course it does. As a pitcher, all you do is plant forward. I would have more concern of pick-off attempts at first.

For a basketball player, you run the court, twist and turn and jump consistently. As well, as backpedal and play defense where you have to laterally move on a dime.

I think it's vastly different.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

What did Koch do/write?
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Goodman just tweeted that Jarvis didn't tear anything, but could miss some time. Still pretty vague, but we can't afford to lose anyone else, especially our PG.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, Goodman is still insisting that there is something wrong with Jarvis' knee.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Find it hard to believe he would tweet a follow up to the original update if it wasn't legit. Just my thoughts, really hope it isn't true/he doesn't miss time though.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Why the Koch hate?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

BPR2010 wrote:Find it hard to believe he would tweet a follow up to the original update if it wasn't legit. Just my thoughts, really hope it isn't true/he doesn't miss time though.
DiSano thinks he will play Tuesday.

ETA: to clarify, I think what Chris actually said is that he hasn't heard anything to make him think Jarvis will miss the game.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Bill Koch is a hack
How would you suggest I change the way in which the team is covered? Serious question, and open to all.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch wrote:
How would you suggest I change the way in which the team is covered? Serious question, and open to all.
Did I miss something? I assumed SPG was kidding. FWIW, I think Bill does an excellent job (as do Chris and Will).
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Um, what the hell is going on here?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bill Koch wrote:
Was the comment related to tweets unrelated to URI basketball?

SeawrightsPostgame, you can't just drop a bomb and not provide any hint of reasoning.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Bill Koch wrote:
I have no idea what it's all about, and while I appreciate it when there is interaction between "reporters/URI Staff" and this board about specific topics, in this "New Age of Journalism," you've just crossed a dangerous line, Bill Koch.
It's not Journalism anymore, it's a "Social Media Pissing Contest Open To All."
It's about doing your job, not being loved by those who read your work.
Ask Bill Reynolds what Len Levin would say about something like this….
Last edited by bressler3south 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Couldn't disagree with you more Bressler. I for one find it refreshing that a journalist stands by their work but also asks what areas can be improved. Your whole "it's not about being loved" is really just Journalism code for I can't take criticism and because I wrote the article I know better then you, so just accept what I tell you and how. And that line of thinking leads to professional trolls in the vein of Dan Shaughnessy.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Ha! I didn't know so many people responded to that.

I said that only because of the tweet he put out on Brady highlighting the end of the game.

I said it here because.... I thought it would matter.

I have no problem with how you/Koch covers the Rams. It's a generic insult I said in response to the tweet about Brady.

As far as journalism goes? I don't think it's difficult for journalists to interact with readers at an arms length on the Internet. They can make their own judgements about people and dismiss them pretty quickly. I follow many journalists and they seem to like it.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Couldn't disagree with you more Bressler. I for one find it refreshing that a journalist stands by their work but also asks what areas can be improved. Your whole "it's not about being loved" is really just Journalism code for I can't take criticism and because I wrote the article I know better then you, so just accept what I tell you and how. And that line of thinking leads to professional trolls in the vein of Dan Shaughnessy.
No one said anything about can't take criticism anymore, but about Journalism, which is why I qualified it as 21st Century New Media Blend. If one is going to write then write, if you're going to be a Tweeter, then Tweet. If you're going to be someone's Buddy, then be someone's Buddy.
To go to a Board to ask for advice is the Line I was referring to, which in my opinion should be asked about In-House first, and if you're that desperate, then go to your kids.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

What makes journalism an industry exempt from the opinions of the consumer? One of Bill's biggest job duties, if not his primary duty, is to cover URI athletics. This board is probably the biggest unified consumer of his work and so our opinion and suggestions should be very valuable to both him and his employer.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote:What makes journalism an industry exempt from the opinions of the consumer? One of Bill's biggest job duties, if not his primary duty, is to cover URI athletics. This board is probably the biggest unified consumer of his work and so our opinion and suggestions should be very valuable to both him and his employer.
Not exempt, correct.
What am I doing wrong? What can I do better? at the first drop of "criticism" -- which was a throwaway line.
Almost everyone has been thrilled with Bill Koch from Day 1 when he was at The Independent through his days at The Journal.
So, I will not continue with this.
My perspective is different…..
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I knew it had to be based on the Patriots related tweets last night given the timing and the fact that Bill does an outstanding job covering the Rams.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It'll probably be 6-9 months, according to this excellent article:

http://collegechalktalk.com/2014/02/09/ ... mpetition/
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Couldn't disagree with you more Bressler. I for one find it refreshing that a journalist stands by their work but also asks what areas can be improved. Your whole "it's not about being loved" is really just Journalism code for I can't take criticism and because I wrote the article I know better then you, so just accept what I tell you and how. And that line of thinking leads to professional trolls in the vein of Dan Shaughnessy.
No one said anything about can't take criticism anymore, but about Journalism, which is why I qualified it as 21st Century New Media Blend. If one is going to write then write, if you're going to be a Tweeter, then Tweet. If you're going to be someone's Buddy, then be someone's Buddy.
To go to a Board to ask for advice is the Line I was referring to, which in my opinion should be asked about In-House first, and if you're that desperate, then go to your kids.
I don't think he was randomly and desperately grasping for advice. He was (or appeared to have been) criticized in a non-specific way by a member of his core constiuency, and asked for clarification so that if the criticism was valid he could address it. I think that kind of responsiveness and conscientiousness should be applauded. Your position here seems a little off base, at least to me.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Seawrightspostgame, your comment about Koch being a hack was nothing but trolling, given you didn't provide any context. The fact that it had to do with his opinion on Tom Brady is even sillier.

Bill's work on URI has been exemplary. No, he's not above criticism and I commend him for asking for feedback. But to call him a hack is trolling at its worst.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote:Seawrightspostgame, your comment about Koch being a hack was nothing but trolling, given you didn't provide any context. The fact that it had to do with his opinion on Tom Brady is even sillier.

Bill's work on URI has been exemplary. No, he's not above criticism and I commend him for asking for feedback. But to call him a hack is trolling at its worst.
Then, if that's the case, he could have personally e-mailed him to find out "The Big Problem."
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Trolling at its worst?? No, Internet trolling is pretty bad.

Trying to draw attention to how Brady played over 3 drives after the pats pull out a victory without a TON of players. Then bringing up Montana after game 9? A bit of trolling there.

I already said that I put that comment here the way I did because I know Koch pays attention to this.

There's like double digit reasons to point to Brady and consider him the best. The thing is people are either on his side or on the other. Nobody is changing their mind.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I just caught up on Koch's Brady take that started this, and I have to say it is a TERRIBLE take. He still does a great job covering Rhody, though.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agreed. I had to reply on Twitter to that mess.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is Koch a hater? A Jets fan, possibly?
0 x
VCUDevDog
Jim Eitner

Unread post by VCUDevDog »

Hey Rhody fans. VCU fan here sending well wishes to E.C. speedy recovery. Trust me when I say we know how you feel , when we loss Bri last year (especially so close to the all times steal record) it was horrible. The bright side is he (EC) will be able to redshirt. Here's hoping your team and the rest of the league will stay healthy the rest of the way.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

No place. This one is an unusual one from me. While it only applies to 5% of the audience in attendance (and probably not one reader here), it's important for the integrity of the college game experience. At several points during the second half, while Rhody was persevering without Matthews, yet struggling mightily from the line (13-31), Bronx cheers broke out when they'd make one. This isn't about Rams, Eagles, Friars, Minutemen, or Hawks. It's the college game. It's fine to groan and sigh when a team can't make one from the charity stripe. That's normal. But home fans mocking their own players who are giving their all (whether getting it done or not) is different — and weak. True fans of the college game understand the distinction and should help put an end to it.
^From DiSano's article
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I like that comment from Disano the best.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Trolling at its worst?? No, Internet trolling is pretty bad.

Trying to draw attention to how Brady played over 3 drives after the pats pull out a victory without a TON of players. Then bringing up Montana after game 9? A bit of trolling there.

I already said that I put that comment here the way I did because I know Koch pays attention to this.

There's like double digit reasons to point to Brady and consider him the best. The thing is people are either on his side or on the other. Nobody is changing their mind.
Then why bring it up in this thread on this board? Koch giving his opinion on Twitter is not trolling. Call out someone on an unrelated board in an unrelated thread without explaining why IS trolling.
Last edited by Rhody74 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Trolling at its worst?? No, Internet trolling is pretty bad.

Do you have what was originally said? I missed it.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Can this Pats/Brady talk be taken elsewhere?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Take the Pats/Brady talk to the sewer where it belongs. Beckham caught the ball!!
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

EC

0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

I guess there was something to Goodman's tweet after all...

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI went to the Elite8 with Odom ineligible to play only because URI said so. URI will still go deep in the tournament without EC. This team has a lot of talent; it just doesn't have as much depth. The sky hasn't fallen.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote:URI went to the Elite8 with Odom ineligible to play only because URI said so. URI will still go deep in the tournament without EC. This team has a lot of talent; it just doesn't have as much depth. The sky hasn't fallen.
"Deep" in the tournament without EC, a top 60 player in the country? I'm sorry I love URI just as much as the next guy, but it would have been tough (as it is for any non blueblood team) to make a deep run even with EC.

Seems highly highly unlikely that if we even make the tournament, we make a deep run.

I just don't see it.
0 x
Go Rhody
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

eli#10 wrote:Take the Pats/Brady talk to the sewer where it belongs. Beckham caught the ball!!
I'm a Giants season ticket holder and I was at the game. I don't even know what a touchdown is anymore.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI_05 wrote:
eli#10 wrote:Take the Pats/Brady talk to the sewer where it belongs. Beckham caught the ball!!
I'm a Giants season ticket holder and I was at the game. I don't even know what a touchdown is anymore.

It's when you break the plane running the ball in or catch the ball in the endzone and not drop it.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I think EC deserves to not have a thread about his tragic injury derailed by Pats/Giants talk.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

With both of these, Danny's completely right.

“Nobody cares,” Hurley said. “Valpo doesn’t care coming in here. Cleveland State’s not going to care next week. A lot of people have reached out and passed along their best wishes to E.C. in his recovery, but no one cares.”

“You run into all types of people in life,” Hurley said. “Some people give you nothing and some people give you everything they have all the time. Somebody that gives you everything they have, when something bad happens to them, it hurts. The last two days have been rough for all of us.”
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Losing EC in the first game of the year reminded me of the first episode of Friday Night Lights when Jason Street went down. Even though that show eventually went to some cheesy places, to this day that is one of the most powerful episodes of TV I've ever seen (I'd recommend watching it to anyone that hasn't seen it). I can imagine our guys after the game being in the pretty much the same state as the Dillon Panthers. I know compared to what happened to Street, EC is lucky. But still, the emotional devastation was real. Hopefully we have our own Matt Saracen that emerges and leads us to our goals. I feel like Dan is a pretty capable Coach Taylor.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

First episode of FNL might be the finest piece of network television ever filmed.

It really is that good - as was most of the first season......
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Clear eyes, full hearts, CAN'T LOSE!
0 x