If EC is out for the year... and he is

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: If EC is out for the year...

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It seems that Hassan's insta pick of EC is gone.
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Billyboy78 wrote:It seems that Hassan's insta pick of EC is gone.
Yeah he deleted it..
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Billyboy78 wrote:As far as hearing a pop, I would think that would be rather difficult in a loud (at the time) arena of 5 or 6 thousand people.
It's not a sound as it is a feeling. You know it when it happens, it vibrates your whole body. Just being optimistic I guess. Like I said it happened to me just 2 weeks ago, very fresh in my mind.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

hrstrat57, Chubin wasn't injured. He was kicked out of school.
He was coming off two straight 20 plus ppg. seasons.
It turned out to be a blessing, in that he got to team with the
great Art Stephanson and lead the team to an NCAA berth,
the following season.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Mongo wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:As far as hearing a pop, I would think that would be rather difficult in a loud (at the time) arena of 5 or 6 thousand people.
It's not a sound as it is a feeling. You know it when it happens, it vibrates your whole body. Just being optimistic I guess. Like I said it happened to me just 2 weeks ago, very fresh in my mind.
How long is your recovery time, Mongo?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:It seems that Hassan's insta pick of EC is gone.
Robinson had something posted for a short time that he deleted as well. It also did not sound good. Again, I am going to assume that these guys know best whats going on.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Mongo wrote:
How long is your recovery time, Mongo?

At least 6 months of Rehab. Again being positive, but a sprain can be more painful then a tear. I've experienced both and a tear obviously is worse for recovery, but at the time of the injury the sprain hurt more. Let's hope he sprained it, he'll be back in a month, possibly less. My hope is that if he did not feel that pop, he may not have torn it. It really is an unmistakable feeling.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I hope you're right Mongo. It is weird that sprains sometimes are more painful than tears or breaks. I broke my foot in two places in a high school game. I got a badly sprained ankle in a pickup game at Tootell a couple of years later. The sprain was much more painful.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

WTF--WTF--WTF. No word from the school by 4:00 is not a good sign. The severity of the injury must be known by now.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This is just making me sick. Still.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I must have checked this site 100 times today!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blue Man is going to need to rant to get this thing going for Valpo.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

It's official. Out for the year.
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

For ECs sake let's hope its just an ACL and nothing more, guys recover from ACLs and nowadays come back as good as they were. There is almost zero doubt he is done for this season but lets hope its not anything worse than that.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Ugh
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

theblueram wrote:Blue Man is going to need to rant to get this thing going for Valpo.
A rant is required for sure good call.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Well crafted statement good job.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

One has to wonder just how bad/what the exact injury is.
0 x
Go Rhody
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Mother fucker!! Absolutley brutal news. I still believe that the team as it stands can make a decent run but my god what a kick in the balls. We have all been counting down the days until this season starts since the Stanford game and we got 10 FUCKING MINUTES of what we had been waiting for. I need a damn drink.

FWIW, I first heard about the severity of the injury around noon and at the time the word was that their could be multiple tears. Hope to god that's not true
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Statement from E.C. Matthews:

The injury I sustained on Friday night vs. American will unfortunately keep me from playing the rest of this season. While the news has been a lot to process in such a short period of time, I know that it is a temporary setback and I will be back stronger and hungrier than ever before. Whether it is a rehab or physical therapy session, I will fight to get better everyday. This is a new challenge and I am up for it.

I plan on using this setback as an opportunity to continue to grow as a student, a leader, and a man. I will be at every study hall, every practice, every film session, every game - no different than before.

I will need my brothers - my teammates and coaches - to help me through this. And I want them to know how much I love them and I will be there for anything they need. I understand the challenge of this journey and I am built to conquer this obstacle.

Most of all, I want to say to our most loyal Rhody fans - our students and all those who support us day-in and day-out - I want to see you all here at the Ryan Center. Starting with our game with Valpo on Tuesday, be here and be loud. Get behind our team like never before - we haven't stopped our HUNT.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

fuck. I feel so bad for him. this sucks. new campaign is coming. 4EC.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

E.C. pure class as always with that statement. Hope he comes back better then ever.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

He looked sooo solid in the STAC game - awful news.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Sucks!!!

What a great statement from a great URI Player. He'll will be a great player for this team on and off the court. Great attitude!!

Sorry my POP theory meant shit I guess.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I legit teared up reading that statement. The kid deserves better than what happened to him, but I have no doubt he will attack his rehab and recovery just as he says he will and he'll return next year stronger and better than ever. As for this season, time to circle the wagons and continue the HUNT. Now this group has even more to prove and gets to go about doing it with less pressure. I'm still excited for this season.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: If EC is out for the year... and he is

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

E.C's statement was perfect.
The HUNT continues.
The brotherhood that exists with this team is really going to show. They'll pull through. We're still gonna kick ass this year.
Would be huge to beat valpo Tuesday.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Great statement! As Bill Parcells used to say, let's not give this team an excuse to lose.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

A Valpo win would be fucking huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rally the troops!!!!!!!!! This Tuesday is for EC!!!!!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So assuming he needs surgery it's my understanding that it's good news there wasn't much swelling. Most times they have to wait for the swelling to go down before they can operate. The sooner they can operate the quicker he can start his rehab.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I'm depressed.... I feel so bad.... I will be supporting this team as I've always have. I will just keep wondering what if. I still know we can have a good year. I really can't snap out of it yet though...just miserable. My wife wants me out of the house
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

This program is very fortunate to have such a great person like EC in it. I wish him well and I have no doubt he comes back even stronger than ever.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We never can know for sure.....but to all outward appearances EC is a very nice young man....his statement is priceless......his rehab will be tough but I believe in the long run he will come back better and stronger.....time for the rest of the guys to up their games and for the kids to grow up faster than maybe we expected.....

....the team can weather this injury better than any time in the past several years due to the depth we have....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Tom98 wrote:I'm depressed.... I feel so bad.... I will be supporting this team as I've always have. I will just keep wondering what if. I still know we can have a good year. I really can't snap out of it yet though...just miserable. My wife wants me out of the house
Does she know what she's doing? It's dark out.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Went to the PC board thinking that many of them would be putting down the rams and making negative comments about EC. I am extremely surprised that not one person wrote anything but good wishes for the team and showed great concern for EC. Even Sean had a good post.
I may even not root against them in all their games.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Can someone please give me EC's twitter address? I cant seem to find it to post.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

"What if" will always be the two words associated with the 2015-2016 URI basketball season.
0 x
Go Rhody
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Just want to tweet support and am not tech savvy at all
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I feel this team has the talent and coaching this year to still be special despite E.C. being out. I still see them finishing at least top 4 or 5 in the conference. I like the freshman thus far and feel come January that this team will still be very impressive. Jarvis didn't turn the corner and start playing more assertive till mid season last year. I would expect Thompson and Akele will probably end up progressing in a similar fashion.
In all honesty, this team did well last year and a lot of the success was due to their stifling defense. Now don't get me wrong...we will miss E.C. without a doubt, but he wasn't exactly one of the best defensive guys on the team either. This deep is deep with talent this year. If they play solid defense like last year, I could still see them getting 22 or 23 wins.

"In Hurley we trust."
...and Antonio Reynolds-Dean ;)
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Roz wrote:Can someone please give me EC's twitter address? I cant seem to find it to post.
EC doesn't waste energy on social media. He's all about hoops and achieving his goals.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Cool I appreciate that.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'm more concerned about EC than the team. They'll be fine. His statement showed an awful lot of focus and maturity.
It was good that he stressed being with the team as much as possible. This will help in his rehab.
That release was as good as I've ever read.
This whole mess reminds me of my favorite saying: Life is what happens after you've 've already made your plans.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I am with you Dude. This team can put themselves on a mission to join the field of 68, and it starts on Tuesday
Look what Dayton did this past season with only 6 scholarship players. Defense, defense, defense. Refuse to lose.
I believe the talent is there and basketball is more about will and effort when the talent is there and I believe the will is there and so the
effort will be there. Win Tuesday and show everybody. This team isn't done. They are ready to go on a roll.
Hassan, Iverson, McGlynn, Garrett and Terrell will take charge. Thompson and Akele are going to grow up real quick and surprise
everybody. If Valpo thinks they are in for an easy time they better forget it because now they are in a cage with a
wounded tiger. Watch out opposing teams, the Rams are coming for you and they aren't in a good mood.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A torn ACL is bad, but nowhere near as bad as it would have been if he had blown out his MCL with it.

He should be back at full strength at the beginning of next season.

If the MCL was torn, then it would be doubtful if he could come back even next season....

We will be an absolute powerhouse next season with EC back....like was said, what were the odds of him going to the NBA next season?

We will be pretty good this season too. Just please no more major injuries and figure out how to make FT's, and we will be in contention for an NCAA berth this season.....
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

luke wrote:I am with you Dude. This team can put themselves on a mission to join the field of 68, and it starts on Tuesday
Look what Dayton did this past season with only 6 scholarship players. Defense, defense, defense. Refuse to lose.
I believe the talent is there and basketball is more about will and effort when the talent is there and I believe the will is there and so the
effort will be there. Win Tuesday and show everybody. This team isn't done. They are ready to go on a roll.
Hassan, Iverson, McGlynn, Garrett and Terrell will take charge. Thompson and Akele are going to grow up real quick and surprise
everybody. If Valpo thinks they are in for an easy time they better forget it because now they are in a cage with a
wounded tiger. Watch out opposing teams, the Rams are coming for you and they aren't in a good mood.
Exactly! A cage fight. Welcome to the octagon! If teams decide to poke the Ram, they'll get the horns. BELIEVE!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Still don't want to believe this.

EC Matthews, done for the year? THIS year?

Awful, just awful.
0 x
Go Rhody
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Dude and Luke, nice posts, I'm right there with you guys. Let's do this!

And yes 78...figure out how to make FT's, and we will be in contention for an NCAA berth this season.....
0 x