If EC is out for the year... and he is

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: If EC is out for the year... and he is

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Still looking for a good year this year. If EC comes back strong next year, watch out. We lose Earl and Four, but add EC, Robinson and the 4 frosh. And the 7 remaining players have another year of experience. You know EC is going to work his ass of to get back, because that's what he does.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

If URI is a PROGRAM, then they can overcome the loss of one player. Will they be as good? No. But spare me the "season is over." I can already read the posts from March...

"If EC was healthy, then we would've/could've/should've...."

Just win.
0 x
Gopher+RamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Gopher+RamFan »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:If URI is a PROGRAM, then they can overcome the loss of one player. Will they be as good? No. But spare me the "season is over." I can already read the posts from March...

"If EC was healthy, then we would've/could've/should've...."

Just win.
Best of wishes from VCU. The same thing happened last year to us, some fans will never be able to accept the season without saying "if we had ______"... Wholly natural. If there is some sort of silver lining, I imagine it would be that EC is able to medically redshirt, instead of this happening mid year.

Good luck the rest of the way.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

A classy guy. This has to be so devastating for the kid, his season ended and his career suddenly dealt a setback.
Worse URI moment for me since Stanford.
0 x
Wayne
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Wayne »

Worst Friday the 13th ever. Life without EC this year will certainly be a tall order, but I think we can still find success this season. Trying to think as positive as I can over here...

-Terrell will be forced into that "go-to-scorer" role and I think we saw small flashes of that Friday night. Looking forward to see how his game has developed since last year. I think the team will rally around him to truly lead.
-Hassan needs to be Hassan
-Thompson will likely see the largest spike in minutes out of everyone. As a result I think his game will develop more quickly than we would have expected initially.

Its time to focus less on the "what-ifs" and more on what's right in front of us. On to Valpo!
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Looks like EC redshirted. He said that he has 2 more years here on his Instagram post
0 x
Gogiants1414
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Gogiants1414 »

Hey guys- GW fan but wanted to let y'all know how much of a shame it is for ec and so sorry about the blow to your squad. Looks like four may be the real deal and I'm looking forward to rhody being a huge force for the a10 still. Just felt horrible for you guys knowing how pissed I would be if Larsen went out, who I consider our biggest differentiator.

Best of luck on a great season and keep the optimism up for both of our teams getting some big non conference wins to keep the a10 strong. Will be rooting for you guys to dig out of this tough loss for a great season
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm very impressed by the show of support from fans of other teams.
I'm also very impressed by E.C.'s statement, don't get me wrong, based on what I've come to understand about his character, I didn't expect anything less from him, but these are the times a persons character is put to the test. What a great teammate! his statement was less about his injury and rehab than it was about being a part of a family, rallying around each other, he calls on his teammates to help him through it and promises to be there for them as much as possible and to come back a strong as possible. Even though I expected this type of statement, I'm still impressed.

BTW, maybe the optimist coming out in me, but I still expect to go to the NCAA's this year and I'll never say "what if" or "if only..."

Beat Valpo! I plan on losing my voice tuesday...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think our team is great with/without EC. Devastated that he can't play this year. Must be crushing for him.

Just in terms of him not winning the A10 freshman of the year out right when he deserved it. Then him basically playing through any injury last year. Awesome leader. He deserved this season and so much more.

Never schedule a Friday 13, game again.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Has it been confirmed that it was just the ACL, and that none of the other ligaments were involved?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't think so, but can't be sure.

So far no one has come out and said anything really specific about the injury other than it being an ACL tear. Was it a complete tear or a partial?

How long a recovery period hasn't been mentioned either. I would think more info will come out once surgery has been performed, since they really don't know the full extent of the injury until they do the surgery.

And the surgery date?

Hopefully it will be no more than 6-9 months until he's back to full strength. I think that's the typical recovery period for an ACL tear, if that's all it is.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

you got this, EC
Attachments
image.jpeg
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

With the injury in the first game it's pretty automatic he'll get this year back will be a rs-jr next year
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Methinks the details of the injury is none of my business.

Find the best doctors and get right EC!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As a fan, I am demoralized by EC's injury. Really has me in a funk given how high my hopes were for this season. I however cannot begin to really imagine how EC himself feels. He has worked so hard to get to this point. Hoops is such a big part of his life. This must be so crushing to him. He is not only dealing with a physical injury but also blows to his mental and emotional state. I feel for him and send my encouragement. He really needs support from everyone at this time. Best wishes EC. Hang in there.
0 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

I wonder how he will handle coming off of an injury like that mentally. It's his right knee and, being a lefty thats the leg he uses to jump with. I can't imagine coming back from an injury like that and trying to go full force at a level even close to what will be expected of him. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing though and he will get the best possible treatment for this. It will be rough seeing him on the sidelines with a suit on and crutches. This team is so close though and I can see them feeding off of the emotion and putting together a special season.
Last edited by Micheal_Phelps_22 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

EC - you won't read the support on Tuesday, but you will certainly hear it!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As I posted in another thread:

I would like to see a show of support for EC to help lift his spirits that would go out across the land. I propose a "GET WELL EC" chant be started early in the Valpo game (during the ESPN2 broadcast) with the entire RC crowd (not just students) joining in. I am sure that EC will be following this game (whether he is able to make in person or watch it elsewhere on tv). Let's show EC the love and give him the support he richly deserves and likely needs at this difficult time for him.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:I wonder how he will handle coming off of an injury like that mentally. It's his right knee and, being a lefty thats the leg he uses to jump with. I can't imagine coming back from an injury like that and trying to go full force at a level even close to what will be expected of him. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing though and he will get the best possible treatment for this. It will be rough seeing him on the sidelines with a suit on and crutches. This team is so close though and I can see them feeding off of the emotion and putting together a special season.
Knowing how hard he works I'm confident that his mental attitude will be fine .
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I like the chant RF1.
0 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

RF1 wrote:As I posted in another thread:

I would like to see a show of support for EC to help lift his spirits that would go out across the land. I propose a "GET WELL EC" chant be started early in the Valpo game (during the ESPN2 broadcast) with the entire RC crowd (not just students) joining in. I am sure that EC will be following this game (whether he is able to make in person or watch it elsewhere on tv). Let's show EC the love and give him the support he richly deserves and likely needs at this difficult time for him.
Great idea. I was planning on getting some "E C MATTHEWS" chants going in 207 early and often as well.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
You've got to be effin' kidding!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Wtf...are u serious?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You have got to be effin kidding me.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Jarvis was injured during the game, left the game and was attended to on the bench by trainers and then came back into the game. I'm going to assume his injury is not season-threatening like EC's, but it is a little scary to hear they're still worried about it. Will need him Tuesday.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I thought it was cramps. When it happened, if it was as bad as EC, I was ready to walk out of the RC. I could not have handled both EC and Jarvis going down in one game.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I totally thought that was just cramps to. I had finally woken up this morning and turned the corner on this EC news and now this! Hope he can play Tuesday. I'm sure he'll at least give it a go if he can.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

APB for any HS point guards on campus, need a couple of practice players!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

They were working on Jarvis' calf as if it were a cramp. But I also saw Jarvis moving his knee around in a circular motion as if it had tightened up.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Can we get Dowtin enrolled by Tuesday somehow?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Could be Rory Tempkin time.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Can we never play a game on Friday the 13th again -- at one point in the AU game, after EC injury, Garrett, Terrell and Iverson all appeared gimpy at one point or another. Hoping Jarvis is nothing, we would be in a heap without him.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:Could be Rory Tempkin time.
Looked pretty good in the layup line pregame....

:)
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jarvis wasn't getting his knee tested. Was at the hospital for things not related to his health. All is well.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Blue Man wrote:Jarvis wasn't getting his knee tested. Was at the hospital for things not related to his health. All is well.

Positive?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Gotta do the EC chant a lot more than once. At least a few times when ESPN is on the air so that it goes across the country............
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

"things not related to his health"- you kill me :)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Blue Man wrote:Jarvis wasn't getting his knee tested. Was at the hospital for things not related to his health. All is well.
Is this Goodman doing his best Mortensen?

"Team sources say 11 of 12 men's basketball scholarship players have significant knee injuries"
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Is he a doctor on the side?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

One of the all-time best lines
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, where the hell is Goodman getting his info?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

adam914 wrote:
Is he a doctor on the side?
"Was at the hospital for things not related to his health" What the hell does that mean?

Oh, I get it, he was there for Hospital Food.!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, any word, on where and who is going to do EC's surgery. Hope it is a heavy- Who do the Patriots use for knees?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Probably someone from South County Orthopedics.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Use the guy that did Todd Gurley. He looks fine. I hope EC is doing full contact by like May or at least full running. This year he had surgery so he couldn't have a full offseason. I want him to have as much off season as possible to get his game to another level.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Marcus Stroman of the blue jays came back in 5-6 months
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Bullock from PC tore his ACL at beginning of practice last season, believe he was playing by early Summer ... And thus far has looked very good in game action
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We still don't 100% know the exact extent of the injury, do we? I know CBS, DiSano, and Hassan said it was an an ACL, but coming from the school would solidify it. Best case scenario right now, is that it is just an ACL tear and nothing else.

Wonder if we'll ever get word on exactly what it was from the school.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I wouldn't expect to ever hear anything 100% definitive. And whatever we do hear should probably be taken with a grain of salt. Safe to assume at this point its at least an ACL, anything more who knows. As Koch said at one point, they are going to control the message on this one as much as possible. They have EC's future to keep in mind to. You don't want to scare off scouts by coming out and saying "oh yeah it was a disaster in there, several tears." Not saying that's the case, just exaggerating to make my point a little.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

twisted3829 wrote:Marcus Stroman of the blue jays came back in 5-6 months
Different game. Can't compare sports, especially baseball.
0 x
'No Mercy.'