BC is so desperate for fans it is giving away free tickets

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

BC is so desperate for fans it is giving away free tickets

Unread post by RF1 »

Boston College Men's Basketball, coming off several consecutive bad years and picked for last in the ACC this upcoming season, is really desperate to attract fans to its games. It is offering free tickets to its first home game against St. Francis-NY.

0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Re: BC is so desperate for fans it is giving away free ticke

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

This seems surprising to me. Does anyone know what their average attendance has been over the last couple of seasons?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Shaolin Swat wrote:This seems surprising to me. Does anyone know what their average attendance has been over the last couple of seasons?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

BC fans are the worst. They are the ultimate front-runners. They typically only come out if the team is very good and the opponent is a big high profile name.

BC MEN' BASKETBALL HOME ATTENDANCE
2014-15 Season 17 home games - Average: 4,486
2013-14 Season 13 home games - Average: 4,007
2012-13 Season 18 home games - Average: 4,244
2011-12 Season 17 home games - Average: 4,699

The 2014-15 number was for a home schedule that included Syracuse, Notre Dame, Virginia, North Carolina, Louisville, Pitt, NC State, Miami, USC, and Providence.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

BC's home OOC schedule for this upcoming year is not what one would call very enticing:

St Francis-NY
Central Ct State
Harvard
Penn State (ACC-Big 10 Challenge)
UMass-Lowell
Maine
Delaware
New Hampshire

There may yet be several other games with free ticket promos.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Didn't we give tickets away during some of the Barren Seasons?

I think we even tried to pay people to come to some of the games during that era
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:Didn't we give tickets away during some of the Barren Seasons?

I think we even tried to pay people to come to some of the games during that era

We didn't give out tickets to the general public from what I recall. The only thing close might have been freebies to school groups and from what I understand this practice hasn't been done all that much in recent years.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

That OOC schedule is pitiful. With a team that is trying to rebuild who would want to go to a game other than Harvard or Penn State. Those attending the other games would only be very rabid fans of which there are only a few. BC is a school that could present a real good OOC schedule but instead has gone the other way.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Funny, Preston told me today, that moving to Creighton was a
"great career move" for him.
Says he's being treated very well and loves it.
He's excited about our program, and said he'll be following
during the season.
Maybe he saw the writing on the wall for the BC program.
He's gotten two top 50 kids for Creighton already,
so it must be a better place for any number of reasons.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Funny, Preston told me today, that moving to Creighton was a
during the season.
Creighton is at the other extreme and doesn't have to worry about giving away tickets to get fans in the seats. They were #6 nationally in average home attendance last season drawing 289,808 to 17 games for an average of 17,048.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

BC made a mistake going to the ACC. They will never recover.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:BC made a mistake going to the ACC. They will never recover.
Yeah, no. I don't think that is their problem at all (what would be their alternative, anyways?). Their problem is they had an idiot-tyrant-midget of an AD that ran good football and basketball coaches out of town and set both those program back at least a decade. The right coach can win there, but why would the right coach go to BC considering what a dumpster fire the two major sports are?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

That's like saying the Patriots made a mistake by keeping Tom Brady instead of Michael Bishop and will never recover. If you think otherwise, just look at UConn trying to navigate conference realignment waters. In other words, truepoint is exactly right, down to their problems stemming from their last Ad.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I knew a guy who was a Duke fan and had BC season tickets, but only went to the Duke/BC game...
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The two most recent times URI played at BC I'd say the crowd was about 70% Rhody fans... maybe more.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Coaches can win there, Skinner was very successful, football was number two in the country and made back to back ACC championships. The former AD was an if it And canned the two most successful coaches in recent memory and now ther football and basketball programs are a complete joke.
0 x
Go Rhody
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

RF1 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Funny, Preston told me today, that moving to Creighton was a
during the season.
Creighton is at the other extreme and doesn't have to worry about giving away tickets to get fans in the seats. They were #6 nationally in average home attendance last season drawing 289,808 to 17 games for an average of 17,048.
It also helps being the only game in town in Omaha, Nebraska! We played them my freshman year, nicest fans I've ever encountered. They actually applauded us as we went on the court!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

BC will never be competitive in basketball in the ACC no matter who the coach is.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:BC will never be competitive in basketball in the ACC no matter who the coach is.

Al finished 3rd, 4th and T-5th in his 5 years in the ACC, and won the Big East 3 times when the Big East was on the same level as the ACC. So that is demonstrably wrong. I hate BC and have no desire to see them do well, but it is simply not true to say they can't be competitive.

You're also not offering any suggestion of what league would be better for them.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

They will however get a lot of money from the league each season.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I also think comparing BC basketball to BC football is kind of unfair. Their football team at least went to a bowl game last year, and they get decent or better crowds for almost every game. Their basketball team is way, way worse off (as of right now) by comparison.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

BC is academically inferior to providence college....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My daughter's father in law is a BC alum and football season ticket holder. He has absolutely no interest in BC basketball and he says it's typical of many of his peers.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Some BC people care about hockey more than basketball. Lol. Tells you all you need to know about their fans.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:Some BC people care about hockey more than basketball. Lol. Tells you all you need to know about their fans.
I think hockey has been a more popular sport than basketball in Boston for a long time, ever since #4 arrived in the mid 60s and probably even before that. Yes, the Celtics became popular during the Bird era. But until then, Boston was always a baseball and hockey town, even with all those championships for the Celtics in the 50s and 60s.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, but college basketball is a real sport and college hockey is not. Baseball is a more popular sport nationally than basketball, but at the college level it isn't. Basketball is the clear #2 college sport.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:Yeah, but college basketball is a real sport and college hockey is not. Baseball is a more popular sport nationally than basketball, but at the college level it isn't. Basketball is the clear #2 college sport.
I'm not so sure in this area. The Beanpot is a huge event. My daughter goes to the University of Vermont. The hockey team is huge up there.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I grew up in this area and didn't even know PC had a hockey team until last year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:Yeah, but college basketball is a real sport and college hockey is not. Baseball is a more popular sport nationally than basketball, but at the college level it isn't. Basketball is the clear #2 college sport.
Come on man. Hockey isn't a real sport?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

BC only has hockey fans because their hockey team wins (although I think that's more an indictment of their fan base than the sport itself).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Come on man. Hockey isn't a real sport?
College hockey. It's a niche sport. I've always said that, my opinion hasn't changed.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:BC only has hockey fans because their hockey team wins (although I think that's more an indictment of their fan base than the sport itself).
Yeah, kind of agree with both these points, but Billyboy is right that Boston is embarrassingly crazy about hockey. Only thing I don't really like about living here.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

How is college hockey not a real sport? And out of curiosity why do you dislike hockey so much?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:
How is college hockey not a real sport? And out of curiosity why do you dislike hockey so much?
Compare the TV ratings for the football, basketball and hockey championship games last year. Hockey is a "real" sport in the same way that soccer and lacrosse are - it isn't the game itself that isn't real. It's just that outside of a few pockets of people around the country nobody cares about college hockey.

I don't hate hockey, I just am personally not that interested in it. And separately I think URI investing in hockey would be a terrible idea and I'd rather see resources devoted to basketball and football - the only two college sports that matter to the general public.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This thread is very entertaining
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:
josephski wrote:
Compare the TV ratings for the football, basketball and hockey championship games last year. Hockey is a "real" sport in the same way that soccer and lacrosse are - it isn't the game itself that isn't real. It's just that outside of a few pockets of people around the country nobody cares about college hockey.

I don't hate hockey, I just am personally not that interested in it. And separately I think URI investing in hockey would be a terrible idea and I'd rather see resources devoted to basketball and football - the only two college sports that matter to the general public.
You're right but with that logic FBS football shouldn't be considered a real sport either.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
josephski wrote: How is college hockey not a real sport? And out of curiosity why do you dislike hockey so much?

You're right but with that logic FBS football shouldn't be considered a real sport either.
I think you mean FCS football, and yes obviously FCS football is not on the same level as FBS football and that is why I think URI should focus first and foremost on basketball. We are veering wildly off topic and this subject and my views on it are easy to find elsewhere on the board if we want to revisit this conversation again. The reason I brought up hockey with respect to BC is that their fans have a, um, unique perspective on college sports and because their fan base is so odd and fair-weather it really puts their marquee sports programs at a disadvantage.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not to sound like a d-bag but why is a thread about BCs attendance and subsequently the merits of Hockey vs other sports the top thread when we are hours away from the beginning of the most anticipated basketball season since 1999. Tip off cant come soon enough!
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

RF1 wrote:BC's home OOC schedule for this upcoming year is not what one would call very enticing:

St Francis-NY
Central Ct State
Harvard
Penn State (ACC-Big 10 Challenge)
UMass-Lowell
Maine
Delaware
New Hampshire

There may yet be several other games with free ticket promos.

Lol they've booked a decent little hockey schedule there. Honestly BC fans are weird in general. Friday and Saturday hockey games do well, but any other day of the week and it gets pretty empty in there (except for Beanpot and rivalry games like BU, Notre Dame, Minnesota, etc) Think Boston just has a lot of distractions, especially pro-sports-wise. Suspect hockey makes good ticket money, but the football Eagles are the ones putting lots of butts in the seats. That coaches vs cancer thing at TD was pretty cool for whipping up some local cbb excitement, I was really surprised/bummed they stopped this year.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Puck Frovidence wrote: That coaches vs cancer thing at TD was pretty cool for whipping up some local cbb excitement, I was really surprised/bummed they stopped this year.
I believe a big reason it stopped was because it failed to attract many fans. The triple-header at the TD Garden last year featuring SIX local MA teams (BC/Harvard/BU/Northeastern/Holy Cross/UMass-Amherst) drew a paltry combined attendance of just 5,112. The TD Garden seats 18,624 for hoops.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

RF1 wrote:I believe a big reason it stopped was because it failed to attract many fans. The triple-header at the TD Garden last year featuring SIX local MA teams (BC/Harvard/BU/Northeastern/Holy Cross/UMass-Amherst) drew a paltry combined attendance of just 5,112. The TD Garden seats 18,624 for hoops.
Ooh that's brutal. It did look thin on NESN at times... bet a four team RI tourney at the dunk could almost double that. Still too bad though, it was a cool idea and enjoyable on the tube.
0 x