Harvard scrimmage

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Harvard scrimmage

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is that today? I thought I read somewhere that it was on the 31st.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Harvard scrimmage

Unread post by theblueram »

I thought it was today as well.
Heard Dan on WEEI this morning but no mention of it. He did talk about Hassan and EC being leaders and captains this year though.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It is definitely today.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

theblueram wrote:Heard Dan on WEEI this morning but no mention of it.
Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that coaches aren't allowed to comment on "secret" scrimmages.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Billyboy78 wrote:Is that today? I thought I read somewhere that it was on the 31st.
Today is the 31st.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
theblueram wrote:Heard Dan on WEEI this morning but no mention of it.
Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that coaches aren't allowed to comment on "secret" scrimmages.
No live coverage is allowed and scrimmages must be closed to public, but coaches are allowed to discuss whatever they like about it after the fact as they've done the past few years.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Per ESPN schools are allowed to release scores and statistics from their closed scrimmage. Here's hoping we will see something.........
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Another year and I still don't care about the score or the stats from a scrimmage. In case anyone was wondering. If someone that watched it with their own eyes has anything to say about it, I'd listen. But the score means nothing.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Is it Friday the 13th yet?

GO RHODY!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

soooo.....crickets on this scrimmage so far it seeems. any news on the newcomers from this? Thompson, Berry, Akele, Iverson, 4?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The CIA could learn some things on secrecy from the URI "secret scrimmages."
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm smelling rat on this site.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Anybody??? Not that it matters much but still curious..
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Very strange for nothing on either side to get out. Usually, one team is eager to let it slip out.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My first 4 wives were matchup nightmares.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:My first 4 wives were matchup nightmares.
Hopefully the next 4 were better.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Ramulous wrote:My first 4 wives were matchup nightmares.
Hopefully the next 4 were better.
Is the math something like (#1 = #4) +2 + 3 = Ramulous' Purgatory?
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Love to hear some details on this game...begging for the start of the season
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Roz wrote:Love to hear some details on this game...begging for the start of the season
11 days!!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I wonder if we'll ever figure out who this "The Bird" dude is.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

adam914 wrote:I wonder if we'll ever figure out who this "The Bird" dude is.
Lol sounds pretty legit to me
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

shouldn't we wipe the floor with Harvard?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

We better if we expect any real success
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Iverson is as good as hoped, playing at the 3 will be a nightmare for almost all our opponents.

Not too many 6'9"guys with talent playing small forward in the A10.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yeah, except I thinks he's going to play a lot of four. Does give you the chance to play a kind of four guard offense, though. I think with his athleticism, he's just as much of a matchup nightmare for opposing fours to chase him around the perimeter.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If you didn't get a chance to listen to Cox's comments on Iverson on the Chalktalk podcast, I'd recommend doing so. He gives some insight into his development and fitting into the program.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Believe me I am not being critical of TJ but Iverson is going to be a huge upgrade on the offensive end. This will be especially true against a zone where I see Iverson with the ball at the foul line and being able to go to the hoop or dishing to a teammate for an open 3 pointer. I have a feeling we will run, run, and run some more.
Our pressure defense will be intense and I hope the new rules don't result in too much foul trouble. If that happens we definitely have a lot of depth which will help us. Also, watch out for Nicola who has a "high motor" and plays with a lot of passion.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Great point shot Iverson working in the soft spot of the zone!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I hope it works out that way at least.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hurley on Iverson, from the Blue Ribbon preview-

“He can create mismatch situations,” Hurley said. “He can play, with his size, in that critical free-throw area in the soft part of the zone as one who can pass and facilitate. There are a lot of ways offensively that he can help us become better, and he has an opportunity to impact us on defense; he can help on the boards and play with intensity.”
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

According to Cox, Iverson is still "a work in progress" on defense. I'm not sure how to take this .... is he progressing but not there yet? Not working hard enough? A defensive liability? Or, as I hope, it just means that a Hurley defense requires extra effort and commitment that KI is still adjusting to.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

I am interested in how DH is going to fit Iverson into the rotation. If he is a defensive liability and he plays the 4 (meaning he is the 2nd biggest guy not he is playing as a PF) then that will cause a bunch of issues. If he gets significant minutes at the 3, that means JT is probably losing minutes and that is a pretty big defensive downgrade. Iverson is a talent but it will take a deft coaching hand to make it all work. It's a better problem to have than no talent but I don't see DH sacrificing the bread and butter defense.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think he will look fine. He's not going to be on the floor with Jared, EC, Jarvis, and Hassan and be the liability. I think those guys attitudes and overall style rubs off. Add to that DH's effect.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Also - DH is open to playing some zone this year which would help. KI should be pretty effective in a zone
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Single biggest factor is whether Kuran can guard the other team's 4 man -- he definitely can be used offensively as a Point-Forward, Niang-type as Dan has referenced, able to face up, get to rim or draw attention and dish. I think our best 5 always has Jared in it, and hopefully Kuran as well.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Are we looking at a 3 man rotation at the so called 4/5 spots, or are Iffy and/or Berry going to contribute some minutes?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Those two will be used for mop up minutes, although I think Berry might play a little more against the weaker teams on the schedule.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:According to Cox, Iverson is still "a work in progress" on defense. I'm not sure how to take this .... is he progressing but not there yet? Not working hard enough? A defensive liability? Or, as I hope, it just means that a Hurley defense requires extra effort and commitment that KI is still adjusting to.
Going by what Dan says that there is "an opportunity to impact us on defense" sounds to me like Dan is saying this is a positive. "Hecan help on the boards and play with intensity". All sounds to me like Dan feels that Iverson can contribute both offensively and defensively. I'm very confident that Dan and his staff can get as much out of Kuran's ability as any staff in the country. If anyone can this staff can - and will.

Hurley on Iverson, from the Blue Ribbon preview-

“He can create mismatch situations,” Hurley said. “He can play, with his size, in that critical free-throw area in the soft part of the zone as one who can pass and facilitate. There are a lot of ways offensively that he can help us become better, and he has an opportunity to impact us on defense; he can help on the boards and play with intensity.”
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Also, if Iverson is at the 4 and as much of a threat offensive as expected, it probably means a burly player has to cover him from 15 to 20 feet out, or the opposing team has to sub in another wing, which probably helps how URI wants to play.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They've talked a lot this preseason about what they expect to get offensively and defensively from this group, acknowledging that this year's defense probably won't be like last year's. A Hurley team will always have a defensive presence, but last year's team wasn't especially offensively gifted, with youth being a contributing factor, so defense was what won them games. It's the same philosophy as going with those sometimes frustrating four guard sets last season- not ideal but given what they had, it was their best chance to win. The expectation is that the net gain from an improved offense and a slightly different defense gets them to where they want to be. Some match-ups might be tough for this team, but they're not necessarily easy to guard, either, so forcing some of those mismatches could work to their advantage.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'll probably get booed out of Kingston, but I think Biggie and Reischel were above-average defenders. So we'll have to see how players like Four and Akele work out defensively.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Iggy1979 wrote:I'll probably get booed out of Kingston, but I think Biggie and Reischel were above-average defenders. So we'll have to see how players like Four and Akele work out defensively.
I thought they were OK on defense. There is a concept in baseball called the Backup Catcher Corollary, where the worse a backup catcher is as a hitter, the more praise he receives for his defense and game calling skills, regardless of whether its true. In basketball, it might be called something like the Offensive Defender Divisor, where the defensive value of a player is exaggerated the worse his offense is.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

In my opinion Reischel was not a good defender. He was on the slow side and had trouble staying in front on whoever he was defending. Iverson's defense remains to be seen but I am impressed with what I have seen from Christion and Nicola. They are quick and play with great tenacity. There is no question that Earl has to play better and reduce the number of fouls he commits.
I am concerned about our ability to contain Larsen of GW. I think he is the only "big" (and he is big) in the league that worries me.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Good points Eli about Iverson. My only concern this year IS the loss of TJ. It seemed like whenever we needed a spark he was there to lift the players to a higher level, whether with his 110% effort or his coming into the game and putting a major stop on one of opponents top offensive players. Hoping that JT will take over that responsiblity and Nicola might be that spark off the bench. Go Rhody!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:
I hear URI won by anywhere from 17-20 points but need to consider Harvard lost their best player, returning Senior PG Siyani Chambers to a torn ACL and he is out for the season. Also sitting out academically at Harvard. This was a big loss in addition to graduating seniors.

Harvard is likely to start 3 Freshmen this year including 6'1" PG Tommy McCarthy and 6'10" PF Balsa Dragovic. Both played HS in California last year. Dragovic is from Serbia.

But Next year look out...................
Harvard already has an incoming class of 8 players including 3 players ranked 4 star.
Chris Lewis 6'8" PF Ranked #58 ESPN
Robert Baker Jr 6'9" PF Ranked # 93 ESPN
Bryce Aiken 6'4" PG from The Patrick School in NJ (yes he will be passing to our recent PF verbal). Aiken is not in ESPN Top 100 yet but very well could be later in the year.

But all in all, still nice that we were able to handle a well coached Harvard University by 20 or so. Will be interesting to see how PC does against Harvard on Saturday.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/harvards-ba ... ar-recruit
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think it's really misleading to talk about any team "winning" the scrimmage. They're not games. They are combinations of game situations, agreed upon in advance by the coaches.

Exhibitions ARE real games against usually weak competition.

Scrimmages are enhanced practices against outside competition, usually between teams with fairly similar abilities.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I think it's really misleading to talk about any team "winning" the scrimmage. They're not games. They are combinations of game situations, agreed upon in advance by the coaches.

Scrimmages are enhanced practices against outside competition, usually between teams with fairly similar abilities.
That's fine, but last year Harvard "won" the scrimmage, which was an early indication that URI wasn't as good as Harvard, which turned out to be true. This year, it was the other way around. So by scrimmaging against the same school, you can benchmark your program's growth.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Iggy1979 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:I think it's really misleading to talk about any team "winning" the scrimmage. They're not games. They are combinations of game situations, agreed upon in advance by the coaches.

That's fine, but last year Harvard "won" the scrimmage, which was an early indication that URI wasn't as good as Harvard, which turned out to be true. This year, it was the other way around. So by scrimmaging against the same school, you can benchmark your program's growth.
Both are true, really. They aren't real game but, at the same time, it is another nugget to file away when trying to decide how good they will be. It's better than losing by 30.
0 x