Hassan Martin: CBSSports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Hassan Martin: CBSSports

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Hassan Martin: CBSSports

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Very, very well written article. Wasn't expecting it to be as in-depth as it was. Can't wait to watch EC and Hassan dominate.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That article demonstrates why Hass is my favorite player.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Wow hes grown!

And I think the 10.5 hands are like only a few guys in the NFL have hands that big so they have to get gloves made special, like Hakeem Nicks.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

If Rhody Jay isn't already photoshopping Mario & Luigi hats onto Hass & EC's heads I will be severely disappointed....
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If he averages 15/10/3 its going to be a big year down in Kingston. My avatar speaks for itself - given proximity he was one of the rare recruits I was able to watch a few times in HS, even then I thought he had the potential to be one of our best Forwards ever. As Dan stated, if he adds even a decent perimeter game he will have a shot at the next level. Or if he grows 3 inches :0
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

EZBuckets wrote:If Rhody Jay isn't already photoshopping Mario & Luigi hats onto Hass & EC's heads I will be severely disappointed....
Yes please. Yes please.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

He is # 20 in the "best college dunker" article on CBSSPORTS - Matt Norlander. I figured he would be in it but a little higher. Norlander is really high on Hassan though.

20. Hassan Martin, Rhode Island

First off, Martin's a really interesting kid, and I think a prime candidate to become a legitimate NBA prospect this season. I also think he's about to break out and prove his dunk-god worthiness. His height, length and vertical leap have been going up, up, up for the past four years. He's not even 20 yet, either.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I hope to see Hassan improve on finishing near the rim and shooting a better ft percentage. I feel he lost a lot of points by not finishing but getting fouled and then not making a high percentage of his free throws. He shot about 60% from the line last year.

If this team is to win close games and make the big leap forward this season, it has to shoot better from the line. Rhody shot at just 65.5% as a team. FT shooting alone cost the team a big signature win vs Davidson and hurt in other games.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

wgracie99 wrote:He is # 20 in the "best college dunker" article on CBSSPORTS - Matt Norlander. I figured he would be in it but a little higher. Norlander is really high on Hassan though.

20. Hassan Martin, Rhode Island

First off, Martin's a really interesting kid, and I think a prime candidate to become a legitimate NBA prospect this season. I also think he's about to break out and prove his dunk-god worthiness. His height, length and vertical leap have been going up, up, up for the past four years. He's not even 20 yet, either.
I'm not concerned if Hassan Martin can dunk a NERF BALL.

A dunk is worth two points, last I knew.

I'm concerned if Hassan Martin, et al., are able to hit two free throws, or after scoring a basket or when they have the opportunity to pull out a win, or pull away from an opponent.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Those hands up top are certainly not JPP's hands.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Under the radar star. Bembry, Gibbs in there as well.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... dar-stars/
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote:I hope to see Hassan improve on finishing near the rim and shooting a better ft percentage. I feel he lost a lot of points by not finishing but getting fouled and then not making a high percentage of his free throws. He shot about 60% from the line last year.

If this team is to win close games and make the big leap forward this season, it has to shoot better from the line. Rhody shot at just 65.5% as a team. FT shooting alone cost the team a big signature win vs Davidson and hurt in other games.
Hassan led the A10 in field goal percentage last year at 59.8%. How much more can we expect then that?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

More national recognition for Hassan? Yes.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... ive-teams/
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hard to believe Hassan is still a teenager (for 10 more days).
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I look forward to seeing ARD's imprint on Hassan's game over the next 2 years.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'm ready for Hassan to dominate this year. He's been in a great position where the pressure and focus has always been on a couple of his teammates. He's good enough that all the talk about playing out of position or being young/inexperienced (whatever truth they might have) needs to not matter. Martin's in a position to have himself a special season.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not that I'm being negative here, but after looking at his numbers from last year one more time, how much are we expecting him to improve?

He averaged, 11 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, and shot 60%.

Are we expecting increases to, let's say, 15, 10, 3 blocks, 60%, on a better team/more options this year?

I feel like because of his breakout year last year, people were obviously put on notice, and is being talked about greatly this year. Don't get me wrong, he is a GREAT player, and will dominate once again, and I expect him to put up similar numbers to last year.

I just don't know, with this amount of talent on the team, Hassan's numbers will dramatically increase the way people are talking about/expecting.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

His shooting percentage will probably go down as he expands his offensive game farther away from the basket. But that's a good thing, in my opinion. Obviously when you're getting a lot of dunks, your percentage is going to be pretty high. As he expands his game to the 12-15 foot level, the percentage goes down. But that's fine. His dominance will be on the boards and on defense. I could see him getting a double figure average in rebounds and could see him breaking school records in blocks. His scoring average is a guess, but I'd say 12-13.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Although the defenders were D2 types, I did notice an improved post up footwork, getting into position and calling for the ball in the low post....and moves to the hoop.....in the exhibition game.....question is whether or not this will be sustained in the A-10 sked.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938