Atlantic 10 Media Day 10/20

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Atlantic 10 Media Day 10/20

Unread post by ace »

Koch's votes:

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

can fans, especially those of the younger variety that live on Twitter, please send Disano some questions for Coach Hurley....these are tangible ways to show support and excitement for the program and season. It matters.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm not young, but I'll think of something to ask him.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Slightly surprised Terrell isn't on Koch's All Defense list.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Dan is scheduled to be on from 2:45-3
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just a little humble brag, but I believe I correctly predicted the top 6 teams in the State of A10 thread. ;) ;) ;)

Can't complain about the preseason standings / all conference teams on our part, I think we're well represented. However, I would have liked to see Terrell on All Defense.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Well if there was any motivation for Jared Terrell...kinda shocked he's not on third team at least.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think Terrell is the best wing defender in the league. Hes the main piece in a top 10 national defense.

Price? 1st Team? Certainly great player. Jared SHUT HIM DOWN.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Kind of strange that Dayton is picked #1 given they have no players selected to the 1st or 2nd all conference teams and the Dyshawn Pierre issue remains in flux.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

1 year.

URI beat them 2 years ago. We have Dayton twice and have had their # for years. Last year does not undo the URI Magic that vanquishes the Flyers.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI is just five votes behind Dayton but got four less 1st place votes (order of finish is usually a weighted vote). That means that URI was placed higher than Dayton on the majority of the 15 ballots where the Flyers were not chosen #1. That is odd. Coach Hurley is not exactly loved by the coaches and media in the A-10. I wonder if many did not want to vote his team #1 for that reason. They however have voted his players as being very talented placing two on the first team.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

One table with all the A-10 preseason selections

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote:Well if there was any motivation for Jared Terrell...kinda shocked he's not on third team at least.
Dayton is predicted to finish ahead of us with only one third team A10 player, when we have two first team players. I think our whole supporting cast should take umbrage and use that as motivation, as it is a clear slap in the face.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The vote must have done with the assumption Pierre won't play first semester, but join the team for conference play. If Pierre was suspended for the whole year, no way Dayton would have been picked first. Pierre is definitely a first team all league player, had he not been suspended for the first semester.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Koch:Last time #URI had two members of #A10MBB postseason All-Conference First Team was 1997-98 -- Tyson Wheeler and Cuttino Mobley. #Rams
10:16am - 20 Oct 15
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Archie Miller has played in seven NCAA Tournament games in the past two years despite several setbacks in each season. No reason to think he can't do it again.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I can't believe Terrell is not on the defensive team!!!!.. Watching how dominate he was at practice the A10 will be in for a rude awakening
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Out of nine A-10 road games, URI will play 4 against Top 5. Out of nine home games, URI will play 1 in the top 5. We will need to be a good road team.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Archie Miller has played in seven NCAA Tournament games in the past two years despite several setbacks in each season. No reason to think he can't do it again.
Yeah, I kind of took it as more of a "respect" vote for Miller than anything else. On paper, I think URI should be the favorites, but I can understand why some people voted for Dayton instead. It's also not like the margin was 23 votes to one.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Dan Hurley is on now and should be on for about 15 minutes:

http://www.atlantic10.com/mediaPortal/p ... M_ID=31600
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Obadiah wrote:Out of nine A-10 road games, URI will play 4 against Top 5. Out of nine home games, URI will play 1 in the top 5. We will need to be a good road team.
I was saying last year it's important that we have all these home games against the top of the league because next year we will be much more experienced and battle tested. When you are on the road, you aren’t getting a lot of calls and you aren’t benefitting from your students intimidating the other team and forcing them into unexpected mistakes. The only thing that matters is the quality of your team and your coaching staff. It’s the team against the world and it’s a much better reflection in to the type of team they really are. I think this schedule is going to help us so much for March.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting how the 1st team is all Juniors and the 2nd team is all Seniors
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ramster wrote:Interesting how the 1st team is all Juniors and the 2nd team is all Seniors
Speaks to the improving quality of the A-10.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bressler3south wrote:
ramster wrote:Interesting how the 1st team is all Juniors and the 2nd team is all Seniors
Speaks to the improving quality of the A-10.
I agree, however there were no sophomores on any of the 3 teams or defensive team

But A10 looks strong this year
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Listen all I know is everything that happened today is perfect. Not being picked to finish first, giving us an extra chip on our shoulders, is great. Hassan getting the story he did is fantastic exposure. I already have people asking me what time I plan on getting in line for the PC game (which I tell them I'll be there 5 hours before MINIMUM). The hype this year on campus is real. I teach one of the freshmen intro courses as an upperclassman and just feed them info about the ball team. Most have even heard rumors already about how fun the games are. Just can't wait for the season, especially against PC early on. Chances are I end up giving extra credit to any of my students who promise to hate PC till they die. As a student I'm confident other students will be attending at a large clip this year especially if they continue to win.

P.S. FUCK PC
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

HASwatTeam wrote:Listen all I know is everything that happened today is perfect. Not being picked to finish first, giving us an extra chip on our shoulders, is great. Hassan getting the story he did is fantastic exposure. I already have people asking me what time I plan on getting in line for the PC game (which I tell them I'll be there 5 hours before MINIMUM). The hype this year on campus is real. I teach one of the freshmen intro courses as an upperclassman and just feed them info about the ball team. Most have even heard rumors already about how fun the games are. Just can't wait for the season, especially against PC early on. Chances are I end up giving extra credit to any of my students who promise to hate PC till they die. As a student I'm confident other students will be attending at a large clip this year especially if they continue to win.

P.S. FUCK PC
Student engagement is key. You're doing good work, and hopefully you aren't alone.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

HASwatTeam wrote:Listen all I know is everything that happened today is perfect. Not being picked to finish first, giving us an extra chip on our shoulders, is great. Hassan getting the story he did is fantastic exposure. I already have people asking me what time I plan on getting in line for the PC game (which I tell them I'll be there 5 hours before MINIMUM). The hype this year on campus is real. I teach one of the freshmen intro courses as an upperclassman and just feed them info about the ball team. Most have even heard rumors already about how fun the games are. Just can't wait for the season, especially against PC early on. Chances are I end up giving extra credit to any of my students who promise to hate PC till they die. As a student I'm confident other students will be attending at a large clip this year especially if they continue to win.

P.S. FUCK PC
I can't tell if youre serious about 5 hours early. I sure as hell hope you're just joking.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I hope you're joking. I will personally stop by the Ryan 5 hours before the game to provide warm adult beverages to anyone in line at the time. I fully encourage it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully it's not just the PC game. We already know that's going to be full. I want to see a big line for American U.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

860_rhody wrote:

P.S. FUCK PC
I can't tell if youre serious about 5 hours early. I sure as hell hope you're just joking.
Just to clarify for haswatteam, you hope he's joking about 5 hours early because that sounds excessive or because he's only a lightweight if he waits for five hours and you hope he enjoys the game from the 300's, if he gets in at all?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

860 are you saying you wouldn't wait 5 hours because it's too long? or you would have been camping out in a tent.

One of those answers makes sense, and one of them will make you a half-assed hardo bandwagon softie fan.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI Basketball | EMBRACING EXPECTATIONS: Hurley, Rams enjoy being tabbed as one of A-1O’s best teams
October 20, 2015
Brandon Mello
Pawtucket Times/Woonsocket Call

http://www.pawtuckettimes.com/content/u ... best-teams
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

I am completely serious about the 5 hours considering two years ago I got there 3 hours before and barely made it in. And trust me there are more of us students out there. Also, I will also gladly accept adult beverages, however chances are I will already have consumed a few by that point.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

5+ hours is crazy. Not sure if I'll go
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Not sure why JT isnt A10 All-Defense.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah who in the A-10 is a better on ball defender than JT???
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Kyle Davis from Dayton is the best on ball defender in the league....watch the first 10 minutes of their PC game when he was matched up with Dunn. He has a bigger gripe than Terrell.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am really looking forward to seeing Terrell go head to head against Dunn. I expect that we will double team him some of the time to slow the Friars down a little and get them in a half court game when the 30 second clock should work against them. We need to stop Dunn from going coast to coast and leading their fast break.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I wouldn't expect a prolonged amount of time of Terrell v Dunn....throw multiple looks, even some zone, to keep him guessing. Dunn will be tough to contain for anyone, but no matter how good he is he wont beat us alone. Shut everyone else down and do your best on Dunn would be my MO.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

https://twitter.com/CDiSano44/status/657330665722130432.

Some interesting thoughts from Dan regarding the style of play he expects for this year from the team. Only 22 more days ...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Sweet - Chris got my question in, and also heard questions from BAR and Ace...anyone else get one of their twitter questions asked? It's cool that he used some of his time on questions from fans.

Here is Chris's interview with A10 Commish Bernadette McGlade if anyone is interested in that:

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Wait... did he say Four McGlynn shot 12-15 from three in live play during practice?

0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Wait... did he say Four McGlynn shot 12-15 from three in live play during practice?

Oh man, so many offensive weapons. #prayforeveryteamonourschedule
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just realizing now they did not pick a Preseason Player of the Year. Will that get picked closer to the season?
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:Wait... did he say Four McGlynn shot 12-15 from three in live play during practice?

He'll be very effective against zone defenses. I wonder how often teams will play zone against us this year. I expect all 3 of our starting guards to be better shooters this year too.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Four could be huge for us. Adding a 5th year senior, 1,000 point scoring sharpshooter is a huge luxury.
We've got some weapons this year.
What he said about Jarvis and Jared is really exciting too, echoing what many of you said about them from the open practice.
Hurry up Nov.13th!
0 x