Atlantic 10 Media Day 10/20

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Atlantic 10 Media Day 10/20

Unread post by ace »

Anonymous comments from A10 assistants. Interesting comment in the last line of the Rhode Island section.

http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/new ... id=1566508
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote:Anonymous comments from A10 assistants. Interesting comment in the last line of the Rhode Island section.

http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/new ... id=1566508

Typical crap from opposition in the A-10. Opposing coaches, fans, and media ALWAYS seem to have some sort of dig when it comes to Rhody. You should read the A-10 message board and those for other A-10 programs. URI is a big topic on many of them. Fans of other teams don't like Hurley, think URI is over-hyped and gets too much media attention, expect Hurley will leave asap, and URI is the most likely team that might have a full meltdown. It is kind of irritating reading all this but I have become almost numb to it given its frequency.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:
ace wrote:Anonymous comments from A10 assistants. Interesting comment in the last line of the Rhode Island section.

Typical crap from opposition in the A-10. Opposing coaches, fans, and media ALWAYS seem to have some sort of dig when it comes to Rhody. You should read the A-10 message board and those for other A-10 programs. URI is a big topic on many of them. Fans of other teams don't like Hurley, think URI is over-hyped and gets too much media attention, expect Hurley will leave asap, and URI is the most likely team that might have a full meltdown. It is kind of irritating reading all this but I have become almost numb to it given its frequency.
Easiest way to stop that is to win. I purposefully don't choose to read those things- why aggravate myself? Not everyone "gets" Dan, but who cares? He can seem like a jerk sometimes during games when he's coaching. If people want to base their opinions of him just on that, then they're ok with being wrong.

I think the line from the coach is actually pretty fair, especially if you're not around this team a lot. There are a lot of really talented players on this roster, especially the guards. It will be a tough job to keep everyone happy, but is anyone here really worried? Rhode Island was voted 2nd in the A10 coaches poll, they're getting respect.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I don't really think it's an unfair thought to have, if you're an assistant looking from the outside in. They lost two guys from last year, neither of whom were primary options on offense with the ball in their hands all the time. Their best player, third and fourth best players (Mathews, Terrell and Garrett) are wings, and the best two new players are a spot-up shooter and a former four-star wing / point forward. Even in a best-case scenario when it comes to guys accepting their roles, I imagine Hurley is going to need to be skilled at managing expectations for various parties. I'm not saying that he can't - It's just that this is one of those "good problems" we haven't had in a while, which is that their sufficient depth to actually have good battles for minutes and scoring opportunities.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I don't think Dan will have a problem keeping everyone happy. This is a good spot to be in. We want to have the guy off the bench be just as good as the guy starting.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think its a knee jerk reaction to looking at the roster.

The truth is we sucked at scoring last year. I don't think they will have any problems because they don't have to allocate % of the offense from their 67.1 ppg last year. They could just score more.

Also if you watched them last year they were all deferential to dominating the ball outside of EC but even he seemed to not be a natural greedy ball hog type player.

I thought they all deferred to a fault last year really. Experience was key in that.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If they get out and run the way Dan wants them to, there will be plenty of touches for everyone. Want the ball? Run your ass down the court and fill a lane.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

People are too sensitive. Overall, the anonymous quotes about Rhody were pretty complimentary.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

They sais URI was the most talented and the best team. Just leave it at that. They had to find something
to say to try to balance out the article and they weren't able to come up with much.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I would love it if we were the team to hate in the conference because we are so good year in and year out....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

2 things...I wouldn't exactly say, "the rebuild is complete" yet just because we're picked to finish second...might wanna wait til we cut some nets down for that, so that statement is 5 months early, imo

2nd: LOVE HASwatTeam's posts...only kid I ever failed as a TA was some dork who used an email account with the address " shamgod12@yahoo" or some shit like that...seriously, bro?...shamgod12?...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think it was said that the rebuild is complete with respect to the roster - the roster is now deep and, we think, loaded. Up until now that wasn't the case. Rebuilding the roster has been an issue up until now.
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

rhodyrudder wrote:2 things...I wouldn't exactly say, "the rebuild is complete" yet just because we're picked to finish second...might wanna wait til we cut some nets down for that, so that statement is 5 months early, imo

2nd: LOVE HASwatTeam's posts...only kid I ever failed as a TA was some dork who used an email account with the address " shamgod12@yahoo" or some shit like that...seriously, bro?...shamgod12?...

WORD.

BTW separate note, my friends on the cheerleading team have told me about a certain performance coming on Wednesday, you'll all be entertained from what I've heard. Also heard Terrell and Jarvis are about as close of friends as two people can be.

#GOOSEBUMPS
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

So is the rebuild complete? Sunday afternoon we find out who and where we're playing next Thursday or Friday?

But next year is a LOCK??
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

To the extent the team doesn't suffer unprecedented injuries, I think that's a fair expectation. It is mine.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Basically, the only dozen or so people in the country who follow college basketball and don't expect URI to be a borderline top-25/tournament team next season happen post on this message board. Whatever. Not worth arguing about. These are people who believe that who is or isn't on the roster should have no impact on whether you win or lose, just to level set on the mentality of some of our fans.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Baloney TP. I have been told personally by several people who know a lot more than I do about the program, that next year, even with no roster issues, is NO lock whatsoever to make the Dance.

I know you just don't believe that. That's your right. I have no problem with that.

But it doesn't make YOU or anybody else more right than myself or others who might share a contrary opinion on the matter.

We will all see what happens. If I'm wrong, than great. I hope I AM wrong, seriously.

What I've seen in 4 years so far on the court, with the repeated failures in close games, does not inspire much confidence that things will turn around on a dime, no matter who's playing.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Depends on what you mean by a "lock," bone.

This year, the only that could have stopped us from dancing, did. Injuries. Could happen again next year. Therefore, not a "lock."

In another sense, if you will allow the assumption that we will play next season with a full complement of players with only minor regular injuries here and there, and you DON'T think we'll make the tournament, I personally have to question your knowledge of the sport.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Oh, and those people you know. I forgot about them. If that's what they think, I'd have to question their knowledge of basketball as well. I saw all 48 minutes of basketball that the full roster played this year, preseason vs STAC and briefly against American, the full strength of this roster. It was an NCAA team. No question.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

2010, it's not all about the roster and the talent.

It's about the coaching too.

It's a combination of the two.

We need to find a closer. We also need Dan to improve as a decision maker, especially late in games.

We need a lot of things. We had too many guys who had bad games at the same times. We don't have a lot of great shooters, too much inconsistency.

Yes everyone a year older, EC back [how good will he be though] Robinson plus the freshmen should help.

How much? That's the question.

I don't doubt we'll be at least a bubble team, if there aren't any issues with injuries or the roster. How we do in close games against the other good teams we play, will determine if we're better than that.

We will have to win a lot more of them than we did this season. I need to be convinced. WIN them.

That will be a first since Dan's been here. He has to do it......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Baloney TP. I have been told personally by several people who know a lot more than I do about the program, that next year, even with no roster issues, is NO lock whatsoever to make the Dance.

I know you just don't believe that. That's your right. I have no problem with that.

But it doesn't make YOU or anybody else more right than myself or others who might share a contrary opinion on the matter.

We will all see what happens. If I'm wrong, than great. I hope I AM wrong, seriously.

What I've seen in 4 years so far on the court, with the repeated failures in close games, does not inspire much confidence that things will turn around on a dime, no matter who's playing.
That is fine, man. You can have whatever opinion you want. You can pretend to know insiders that are deeply skeptical. That is all terrific. I do not intend to let people live down their skepticism come this time next year, though. People that are hedging as an emotional defense mechanism shouldn't get the same satisfaction out of it as people that put their chips down with the team.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rambone 78 wrote:2010, it's not all about the roster and the talent. not ALL, but I'm a pretty firm believer that success in college BB is about 80% talent, 20% coaching. Though of course it is part of the coaches job to assemble the talent, but I'm talking about in any given game.

It's about the coaching too. Partly.

It's a combination of the two.

We need to find a closer. We also need Dan to improve as a decision maker, especially late in games. Could he add some more go-to plays to his book? Sure, all coaches could. There were several this year that worked very well. Some that didn't. I would say it is more important for the players to improve their execution at the end of games, due to my previously stated 80/20 belief.

We need a lot of things. We had too many guys who had bad games at the same times. We don't have a lot of great shooters, too much inconsistency. This is one of those ideas that I believe to be untrue, but has been repeated by people here so many times that some accept it as truth. We were 87th out of 351 D1 teams in 3pt% at about 37%. That is not a poor shooting team. And of course we were "inconsistent." All teams are "inconsistent." No one gets to a 37% average by shooting 6/16 every night. It happens by shooting lights out some games, and going cold in others. That's just a pet peeve of mine though - when people talk about performance and say "I wish we were more consistent," most of the time what they really mean is "I wish we were more good, because if we were more good we would have success more frequently."

Yes everyone a year older, EC back [how good will he be though] Robinson plus the freshmen should help. ECs health is a question mark. I'm hopeful for a full recovery, but that is far from a given.

How much? That's the question. That is the question indeed. I'm willing to bet that the answer is "Enough. It will help enough."

I don't doubt we'll be at least a bubble team, if there aren't any issues with injuries or the roster. How we do in close games against the other good teams we play, will determine if we're better than that. Well we can't do much worse than we did this year. I really don't think it is a stretch or unreasonable to say that we will be in fewer close games, and that we will perform better in the close games in which we find ourselves. But we disagree about that, mostly because I am willing to make some inferences and educated guesses, whereas you just keep repeating "I'll believe it when I see it," which frankly, adds nothing to the discussion.

We will have to win a lot more of them than we did this season. I need to be convinced. WIN them. See my last sentence above.

That will be a first since Dan's been here. He has to do it......
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

If Dan corrects his coaching mistakes that are viewable for review on this years game film he will have a monster season here next year. He had already begun to make many adjustments that would have paid off if our team hadn't just run out of gas. The sideline behavior for example became a non issue by season end.

I think he knows he has done 90% of the hard work and is ready to take off. Moving now to a full blown train wreck of a program like RU is a mistake. Everything is in place for a monster season which will launch him to a real power five job. Minnesota and Illinois are both a mess right now for example and there will be others. He's been on the sidelines at the RAC and knows it's a dump!

Stay with us Dan and let's go big next season!

I guess I am saying I think we find out tonight that he is going to enjoy another season in Kingston!

Preseason top 25 for certain IMHO!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: We need to find a closer. We also need Dan to improve as a decision maker, especially late in games.

We need a lot of things. We had too many guys who had bad games at the same times. We don't have a lot of great shooters, too much inconsistency.

All those problems, and yet despite that we only lost four games all season by more than two possessions playing the whole time without maybe the best player in our league and at many other points without other key players. IDK, to me that bodes pretty well.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's fine too TP, but your comment about "pretend to know" is blatantly false.

I used to be a lot closer to the program than I am now, but I have several people that I know who are still there.

I don't like to be called a liar.

Some of these people know a LOT more than you will ever know about Rhody BB.

I should tell them that there's some jerk on a message board who thinks they don't know what they're talking about.

Sorry for the name calling, but calling me a liar will do that.....
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:That's fine too TP, but your comment about "pretend to know" is blatantly false.

I used to be a lot closer to the program than I am now, but I have several people that I know who are still there.

I should tell them that there's some jerk on a message board who thinks they don't know what they're talking about.
If they are real I probably know them. I'm pretty curious, because I'm not hearing a lot of that. Some cranky fans doing their cranky fan thing, but have not heard anyone really close to the program expressing concern. Maybe some frustration, but we are all frustrated.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

SF to bring levity.

The "end of game" and "we cant shoot" have replaced the foul shooting rhetoric. At least the latter was backed up by fact. The other two are the latest in a "if you say it enough it must be true" syndrome of Keaney Blue.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well guys, let's just agree to disagree, and let's see what happens.

That's all we can do. We'll get our answers in the not too distant future.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Can we please take up a collection for crankbone?

http://www.staples.com/Verilux-HappyLig ... fgodzusHuw
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Actually u don't have to wait until next year, look at the shooting stats for Jarvis and Jared in A10 play this season and make the leap that they will get even better as they get older. Then make the leap that adding EC is likely to improve our perimeter scoring. Not like I am asking u to believe in unicorns.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:That's fine too TP, but your comment about "pretend to know" is blatantly false.

Sorry for the name calling, but calling me a liar will do that.....
I think you should do that...and then, come back and tell us all how hard they laughed at you.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Well guys, let's just agree to disagree, and let's see what happens.

That's all we can do. We'll get our answers in the not too distant future.
Rambone,
When Hurley came on board 4 years ago I was more of a "wait and see" guy. There were quite a few who were ecstatic and very excited for the future but of course not a game had been played yet. I was not so enamored with DH then.
But as time as gone on and I have seen the record go from:
1st year 8-21 (3-13)
2nd year 14-18 (5-11)
3rd year 23-10 (13-5)
4th year 17-15 (9-9)

and I know that the (9-9) record this year could have been much better than last year's (13-5) with EC not out all year, Hassan not injured all year and out at the end), Garrett injured and masked and Iverson knocked out in a game with concussion protocall).

I would say that progress has continued all 4 years.

You may not want to believe that progress was made this year but I believe that progress continued.

Personally I am more of a believer in DH now than ever............even this year has made me more on board to where I rated his performance an "A" the highest of anyone - but I was not as high in the first years as most

So do I think we think Dan has at max two more years to prove himself to me? Not at all. He has shown me enough over this 4 year period to where I believe he is P5 school ready. St John's last year, Rutgers this year and it's just a matter of time before that a lot more come calling imho

In ability to win the close games was something that came up frequently this year. I did not hear that during last year's 13-5 Conference record. My opinion is DH and the team did a great job staying in games considering the injuries.

Hopefully he proves himself to you and others over the next year or two but for me I'm enjoying the ride and I still believe it is going to be a very nice ride.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, that's what I'm hoping for.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rambone,
I am as sure as ever next year will be the year. The competition for playing time will be intense.

And did you know our win against Dayton, even on their home court, was the Highest rated RPI team for URI to beat since the Harrick regime last century. Says something when 4 starting players are either not playing at all or are playing injured AND all 4 will be back next year!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, Dan said on the show tonight that we will have the most talent in the A10 next year.

That's strong stuff right there. That's sticking your neck out just a bit.

That's confidence.

That's pressure.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:ramster, Dan said on the show tonight that we will have the most talent in the A10 next year.

That's strong stuff right there. That's sticking your neck out just a bit.

That's confidence.

That's pressure.
That's reality
That's awesome
That's amazing
Can't wait!!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I like that he said that.
Big difference, next year our best players will ALL be upperclassmen. First time DH has had that luxury.
The A10 is traditionally a Jr/Sr dominated league, so we are set up nicely for 2 great seasons.
Dayton will be strong again, only lose Pierre. Other top 4-5 teams losing a lot.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bar, agreed. Ah, the weight of great expectations.

Dan was very good tonight. A lot of nuts and bolts stuff. Candid, as always.

He said seasons are won and lost in the offseason. It's up to the players if they want to be great.

He basically has challenged his team to win big next season.

He did say that JG and JT were totally beat to crap at the end. It is hard to finish games when you have to raise your game at the end, and there is nothing there to give.

Doesn't count for some of the early season issues though. Dan was disappointed in the play of his team in some of those games. Some of it was adjusting to life without EC, but it lingered too long.

Gave Earl some major props for his play late in the season. Finished the season at 27% from the FT line. Ouch.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You mean 67% at the FT line, if you are talking about the team. A slight improvement from last year.
As far as Earl he shot them at 60%, which if you look at his form is rather phenomenal.
Earl did have his best game as a Ram in his last game as a Ram, and left it all out on the floor.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

For anyone who listened would be great to hear thoughts on what he said...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:He basically has challenged his team to win big next season.
Hmmmm
Is that because he doesn't think he can win the close ones? :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Overall, he sounded like a guy who could not be any more all-in for next season. Focused, determined, confident, maybe a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Said that they felt this last season was stolen from them. Said that we will have the best roster in the league next year. Made a comment that he and Thorr were the leaders of the program and it was on them to make sure the players have the resources they need to maximize their potential. Talked about the commitment he is asking of his guys, how they felt watching selection Sunday knowing they weren't going to be a part of it and knowing that they don't ever want that feeling again. Talked about how winning looks like it takes place in December, January, February, but really happens in July, August and September.

Was very good and did not sound like a guy who wasn't sure where he was going to be in 8 months.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:I like that he said that.
Big difference, next year our best players will ALL be upperclassmen. First time DH has had that luxury.
The A10 is traditionally a Jr/Sr dominated league, so we are set up nicely for 2 great seasons.
Dayton will be strong again, only lose Pierre. Other top 4-5 teams losing a lot.
Dayton has Josh Cunnigham sitting out after transferring from Bradley last June. Many thought Cunningham would transfer to Illinois but he chose Dayton. 6'7" bruising rebounder who was all freshman MVC, #98 in ESPN Top 100 so he will be a candidate to fill Pierre's shoes next season.

Dayton will be tough.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No doubt, along with Cooke, Scoochie, Pollard and the big Center. Dayton is a program, always will be formidable. Expect a lot of the other top 4-5 to take a step back though. SBU will go back to bottom losing Posley and Wright. GW loses Garino, Larsen, McDonald and wasn't all that high on them this year. VCU will always be tough but lose their two perimeter scorers (Johnson and Billsbury). If Bembry goes pro, along with Miles graduating, SJU will slide back down significantly.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bar, you're right. 67% wasn't bad, considering where we were early in the season.

I think we were close to 75% in conference?

I think poor FT shooting might have cost us one game in conference, if I recall. Earlier, it was a factor in several losses.

ramster, I think we will be there with Dayton and VCU. Top 3, or should be, anyway.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Could create an opening for UMASS considering their strong recruiting class
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

VCU has De'Riante Jenkins coming in, a top 50ish player.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

FR are FR. Not going to be huge difference makers outside the Top 10-15 studs. And those guys don't come to the A10.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Not really worried about UMASS with freshman coming in. St Joes also loses Brown. Dayton and VCU will be real strong but so will we. With a lot of road games against the top teams this year should hopefully give us a break next year with conference scheduling.
0 x