URI vs PC next 5 years?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

URI vs PC next 5 years?

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

http://rhodyrampage.com/2015/09/16/cbs- ... de-island/

Shoutout to Smarty for putting this together, thought I would post for a point of discussion.

Call me biased, but I'd say there's no way PC is better over the next 5 years
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: URI vs PC next 5 years?

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Thanks! I'm sure Norlander's getting it from all sides today. Imagine if you were a UNC fan...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I love it when PC sucks. But it's great for Rhode Island basketball and the rivalry when both teams are good. That's what it was like when I was in school and it was fierce.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I love it when PC sucks. But it's great for Rhode Island basketball and the rivalry when both teams are good. That's what it was like when I was in school and it was fierce.
Don't care. PC and the NYY same hate for me....can't lose enough.

That is all.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

The PC/URI rivalry probably means more to us older fans, who remember playing twice a year; but it's still THE game for RI bragging rights each year. (until/unless a miracle happens in Smithfield and at Brown).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm not totally sold Cooley as a coach or a recruiter. The entire thing under his watch is built on two guys, one of whom was a zero star recruit that landed in their lap and they didn't even recruit until the summer before his freshman year. Cotton and Dunn, that's it. Nobody else they've had has inspired much jealousy from me. Cooley's biggest recruiting wins have contributed nothing or next to nothing to their program. If you take away Cotton and Dunn, they probably don't have a NIT appearance to show for his time there. He does get credit for bringing those guys in and developing them, but beyond those two players what has his impact been? Getting a rapper who peaked 13 years ago to come to midnight madness?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hurley has as many NCAA wins as Cooley.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cooley's chief recruiter left also. Who have they picked up since?

As a big game coach [as in NCAA's] he didn't exactly cover himself in glory, especially last year against Dayton....

I think he relys heavily on his assistants, maybe more so than most head coaches....
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Agree RF1...but Hurley has as many NCAA appearances as every poster on this board (unfortunately)...so far.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Fortunately in the game that matters we are going to beat them this year. If EC stays for his senior year we are going to embarrass them next year at the dump as Dunn will no doubt declare.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Its good for RI Basketball when both of them are good and we are better.

Cooley has won through adverse conditions, albeit nothing in March to show for it.

The last NCAA win for a Rhode Island team was by URI and its likely the next one will be too. That has to burn.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote:Its good for RI Basketball when both of them are good and we are better.

Cooley has won through adverse conditions, albeit nothing in March to show for it.

The last NCAA win for a Rhode Island team was by URI and its likely the next one will be too. That has to burn.
No use counting chickens yet. We still have a game on December 5, a whole season to play, and a tournament to make before we start a party.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

This is silly. I think URI's next 5 years will be better than the last 5 but there are so many variables I don't see anyone can make a prediction.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

This conversation is so stupid, not the discussion points but the topic in general.
1) Who knows?
2) Who cares?
If either school loses their coach, lean the other way. If either school lands a major recruit, lean that way. Do certain players develop and exceed expectations? Does someone with big expectations come in and flop?
Reality is that URI probably wins this year because they are playing at home, and that's about as relevant as the conversation gets.
The rest is simply baseless opinions and speculation. I don't know what the impressions on the rosters will be in December, forget 2, 3, 4 and 5 years from now.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:This conversation is so stupid, not the discussion points but the topic in general.
1) Who knows?
2) Who cares?
If either school loses their coach, lean the other way. If either school lands a major recruit, lean that way. Do certain players develop and exceed expectations? Does someone with big expectations come in and flop?
Reality is that URI probably wins this year because they are playing at home, and that's about as relevant as the conversation gets.
The rest is simply baseless opinions and speculation. I don't know what the impressions on the rosters will be in December, forget 2, 3, 4 and 5 years from now.
All fair, except I would take Rhody this year if the game was played at Alumni Hall.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Brave speculation since URI hasn't won at PC since 2002 :D
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:This conversation is so stupid, not the discussion points but the topic in general.
1) Who knows?
2) Who cares?
in regards to who cares?

it was put out by CBS sports, there's another bit of national publicity that we could've gotten that could help to further the Rhody brand. Instead it's the same old same old ... I think that is interesting to consider given how things look at this point.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Brave speculation since URI hasn't won at PC since 2002 :D
True. We also haven't had a team of this caliber since well before that.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We do have a history of losing coaches as soon as we are successful and our history of hiring good new coaches is 50/50. Gordie Chiasa is the only dog I can remember PC hiring but some others have been average. URI stuck with its last dog for 11 years. Then there was JD.

It has taken DH longer to bring URI back than PC fans would have tolerated.

In short, this team has to prove itself and the URI Athletic Program has to prove itself. The football program is an albatross around athletics at URi.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
El Diablo
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by El Diablo »

RF1 wrote:Hurley has as many NCAA wins as Cooley.
Same number of wins Hurley has vs Cooley in the last 3 years...
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Let it be noted that the p!ss!ng contest commenced on September 17....11 weeks of pre-game banter!! Burr, meet Saddle!
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Why is this even a discussion? We have no clue what either team will look like in 5 years. I wouldn't be surprised if Hurley and Cooley are both gone in 5 years.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It's a discussion because someone at CBS Sports wanted to make this pretty map, I'm guessing.

BTW- that V does not represent me- I reject the V!

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm sure this banter is happening in every state. I would think UNC fans think they are better than Duke. It's the start of the season. Time to renew the rivalries. If there wasn't any hate, wouldn't be a rivalry.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rams take the next two. After that who knows.
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

I think Salve Regina is going to have a pretty killer team in 2020.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody72 wrote:Gordie Chiasa is the only dog I can remember PC hiring but some others have been average.
I'm glad the Keno Davis era has been removed from most of your minds!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

What about Gary Walters?
0 x
Rhodygrad98
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rhodygrad98 »

I'm so tired of the URI/PC stuff. We need to win on the court and establish ourselves as being back on the radar. It's been so long since we were relevant and it will take a few years of success before we mean anything to anyone outside of this board.

PC has owned us for a while. Can we please beat them once before we start saying we will be better than them for the foreseeable future?

That success no doubt should start this season and hopefully continue for years to come.

Go Rhody!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

PC seems to be less tolerant of mediocrity than URI. This is because PC has had more success and reached to NCAAs more times. URI was intolerant of JD after JH took us to the NCAAs two years in a row. After JD URI tolerated JB far too long.

But the question asked in this thread is 'URI vs PC next 5 years?'. Of course no one knows the future for sure, so you have to consider the history of the program to make a guess. I believe that URI will not have high expectations of success which if not met will be grounds for changes until it achieves success. In basketball, this means making it to the NCAAs. Otherwise leadership changes will not be made until contracts are nearing completion. Dan has not been successful yet. I hope that this is the year. If he leaves before achieving success, the administration will have no immediate expectation for success for his successor. This is why I think PC has a better chance for success 3, 4, 5 years from now even though my heart wishes otherwise.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote:We do have a history of losing coaches as soon as we are successful and our history of hiring good new coaches is 50/50. Gordie Chiasa is the only dog I can remember PC hiring but some others have been average. URI stuck with its last dog for 11 years. Then there was JD.

It has taken DH longer to bring URI back than PC fans would have tolerated.

In short, this team has to prove itself and the URI Athletic Program has to prove itself. The football program is an albatross around athletics at URi.
I'm confused by all of this. Thorr Bjorn has made 1 basketball hire, and that seems to be pretty OK, like kind of decent.

I don't get the "history" part of it, since none of the administration responsible for the laughable period from 2000-Hurley exists any more.

Hurley brought us "back" within 3 years. I'd say that last year we were back. We were competitive and in the mix for an NCAA spot, and almost the tourney finals. That's all you'd ask for as a fan.

PC ditched Keno Davis because he followed an AWFUL 4 years post Ryan Gomes under Tim Welsh, with a 19 win NIT appearance, and then 2 worse years. I'm not sure I'd say they weren't patient. 7 years and 2 winning seasons, while getting worse, sounds patient enough.

As for football being an "albatross" - I don't get what that means. At all. The football team costs URI like 500k a year. It's irrelevant to the functioning of the basketball program, and since basketball is the flagship program of this institution, I'd say athletics has little to prove to those of us that aren't going full curmudgeon just for the sake of complaining about something.

We're potentially standing at the onset of the best 2-4 year period in our program's history. If you're not happy now, you're just a dink.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL