'18 NY G Malik Martin (Rhode Island Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Re: '18 NY G Malik Martin (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Awesome news bringing in some defense and shooting to fill the void left by Tyrese at the wing...also i love the fact he is family. Team will be well rounded at every position if everyone is eligible and sticks with the team. If Fatts returns i think we are the team to beat in the a10. Shepard is very underrated IMO and we will be able to stretch the floor with shooters plus an army down low.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Wow! What an incredible recruiting week . we have practically a whole new team . Hope Berry will join them later this week . Ish is supposed to be
a shooter as is Berry , so if they get him ( Or Murray ) they look stacked everywhere . With such talent who is on the end of the bench ? Is it
possible to have too many talented players ? Hope Coach Cox can keep them all happy somehow. Looking forward to seeing so many new guys to
find out how good they and this team can be . Sort of reminds me of what happened with Dayton this season with the development of Obie combined
with a bunch of transfers . Dayton surprised me with how quickly they all blended into a team . Hope URI can do something similar.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am not unhappy but how are all the minutes going to be allocated. There are only 120 minutes available. Is it possible that Ousmane will red shirt his freshman year?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fantastic news welcome to URI Malik Martin

With all the departures it was important we replaced them with better players and it looks like we have upgraded the talent in a big way
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

This is a perfect fit to replace the lose of rese. I watched
A numerous amount of Charlotte games and always came away from them being impressed by one malik martin play. He does a little of everything and does all the little things. Was 4th in C-USA in steaks and 15th in league in blocks. Also to go along with 38% 3 point shooting last year.

The thing I'm excited to see is HASS back in the Ryan Center cheering on his bro Malik with all of Rhody nation. Or walking with him on senior night. That would be pretty cool sight.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Give me a player like Malik all day over someone likes Tyrese .
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Great job COX

WELCOME HOME MALUK MARTIN !
1 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Malik kind of fits the Stan Robinson mold right?
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago Malik kind of fits the Stan Robinson mold right?
Yeah a little taller and a better shooter but yeah the intangibles and defense forsure he fits that mold.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Interview with Morey Hershgordon from channel 12: https://www.wpri.com/sports/uri-lands-t ... at-hassan/
2 x
Common sense is not common.
FDshoes
ARD

Re: '18 NY G Malik Martin (Charlotte - Transfer)

Unread post by FDshoes »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Yeah if M Martin and his family agree they want him in Kingston don’t see how we can say no.

Heritage is important for a University sports or academics.
Not to mention he’s a rising junior. And just as good and big as Rese.
Stop no he isnt! H.Martin is an all time great. Tyrese could have been as well. Love this add but be realistic. Losing Tyrese no matter who we add hurts!
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Yeah if M Martin and his family agree they want him in Kingston don’t see how we can say no.

Stop no he isnt! H.Martin is an all time great. Tyrese could have been as well. Love this add but be realistic. Losing Tyrese no matter who we add hurts!
I can’t say he’s just as good and as big as Rese?

He is, in my opinion. I didn’t say he was better.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Tyrese is the best player in the last 30 years to transfer out of this program. I say 30 because thats when i started following them.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Tyrese is a much more polished scorer in my mind. Martin is more of the blue collar defensive player that people will like the effort that he provides every night compared to Tyrese. Tyrese was a pretty important part of offense and will be missed for sure. It depends what you value more I guess.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

Tyrese is a much more polished scorer in my mind. Martin is more of the blue collar defensive player that people will like the effort that he provides every night compared to Tyrese. Tyrese was a pretty important part of offense and will be missed for sure. It depends what you value more I guess.

Wah wah tyrese didnt show emotion!! And??? Not showing emotion is a virtue! No one can replace his output.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Wah wah tyrese didnt show emotion!! And??? Not showing emotion is a virtue! No one can replace his output.
I agree with you that Tyrese is the better player and will be missed. People underestimate it because he left and want to cast him aside. I like Martin as a solid player that will be a fan favorite. I don’t think he will be a difference maker. Actually wish they had Berry and Martin instead of Wood, but guess we would be short at point guards for the future and overloaded at combo guard.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If Tyrese stayed he probably averages 15 next year if Fatts stayed then maybe 18 as a senior but he has moved on and so have we
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Tyrese is the best player in the last 30 years to transfer out of this program. I say 30 because thats when i started following them.
I am not down on Tyrese but sometimes things just have a way of working themselves out.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Watching both, Malik is at least not far from Tyrese offensively. Better defender.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Malik’s shooting percentages are all better. Tyrese’s averages are higher. One reason is he averaged about 5 more minutes a game than Malik.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I love Tyrese but how many times did he have a great offensive possession and then get blown by his man on the other end for an easy basket? Can Tyrese rebound and score the ball? 100%.

Malik is going to help us in different ways. We upgraded at defense and downgraded at offense.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Then again, who knows how much Charlotte’s offense stifled Martin. I hardly watched them...but this may be his year for a breakout season as well. If he can give us 13/5, I’m ok with that.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

People think he can give us 13/5? That would be serious production.

I hope he turns out to be a very productive player for us like his brother, but I just don't see it.

To me he is Christion Thompson maybe.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago People think he can give us 13/5? That would be serious production.

I hope he turns out to be a very productive player for us like his brother, but I just don't see it.

Agreed. Take away the fact he is Hassan's brother and no one would be too excited about him. He was the fourth leading scorer on Charlotte.
3 x
RhodeIslandBorn
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by RhodeIslandBorn »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago People think he can give us 13/5? That would be serious production.

I think the difference between 13/5 and Christion Thompson is larger than you think.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I'd be content with 9/5, similar to his production at Charlotte

I think Stevey hit it on the post earlier...in my mind we are losing point production with Rese gone (same could be said for rebounds), but gaining a much better defensive player. I guess we could look at it this way, maybe slightly less of an impact player vs Rese, but big improvement over Long

Just my two cents...
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Malik will average 10+. The question is: this upcoming season or the following season, depending on the NCAA
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago I'd be content with 9/5, similar to his production at Charlotte

I think Stevey hit it on the post earlier...in my mind we are losing point production with Rese gone (same could be said for rebounds), but gaining a much better defensive player. I guess we could look at it this way, maybe slightly less of an impact player vs Rese, but big improvement over Long

Just my two cents...
My thoughts exactly.

He’ll have more of an overall impact than Mekhi, but less of an impact than Tyrese.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Yes, but Malik may avg 25-30 mins a game and get 10, where Tyrese was avg 35 mins. So, any difference in production would probably be added to another player's avg
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago I'd be content with 9/5, similar to his production at Charlotte

Just my two cents...
My thoughts exactly.

He’ll have more of an overall impact than Mekhi, but less of an impact than Tyrese.
Bingo!
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Yes, but Malik may avg 25-30 mins a game and get 10, where Tyrese was avg 35 mins. So, any difference in production would probably be added to another player's avg
I get what your saying, but this upcoming season we have much better depth. If we had similar depth last season I think you could make the argument if Rese played 5-10 mins less, his average would be what you are predicting for Malik. At the end of the day we will see...and I respect your opinion
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

hey, thanks. I respect yours as well
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

Just my two cents...
My thoughts exactly.

I agree with this. There is a reason that Malik’s best transfer option was RI and Tyrese is looking at 8 P5 schools as his options.
Tyrese played against better competition than Malik did last year as well.

A question for those that have Malik getting 10 or 13 ppg and those that have him playing 25 minutes/game, do you have him starting? Over who?
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

He's a swingman, no? Half guard, half small forward, 100% awesome?

Some from 2, some from 3. Maybe starting 2 guard? Maybe starting SF? Maybe it changes depending on which point in the season you are talking about?

Didn't Preston Murphy play over 25 mins a game his 2nd and 3rd years off the bench?

That's what I am saying, if the NCAA makes these guys eligible, do you honestly need Gage or any of them that are left?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I think Martin will start in place of Rese. We will see.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

He will get numbers similar to Long. 12-16 per game to help spell the guards (Fatts and Shep) and depending on the matchup may see more if we go to more of a 3 guard set.
As usual with this board, I'm sure people are over rating his projections.
If the transfer rules passes, the roster as it is now built allows for more freedom to really play with lineups and subbing in game. Can easily go with a big line up or with a quicker lineup. Versatility.
These things all depend on player development. Hope these boys are hitting the gym every day and not just scrolling IG.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I think Martin will start in place of Rese. We will see.
I would think that Toppin would get a lot of those minutes, especially if he starts hitting his 3s.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well, Toppin is a 3/4 tweener or swing forward. Meaning, he has the body of a SF but not quite the skill set, he can play much bigger than himself but not the body of a PF

You have Fatts, Sheppard, Malik, Toppin, Makhi, Harris as your Top-6, either Sheppard, Malik, or Toppin as the first player off the bench. This depends on who is eligible to go, and also, who is still here. And could change during the season, due to who is hot, who is injured, etc.

Is Fatts returning? If not, you have the same situation with Ish pushing to crack that top 6.

Deep bench:

Ish
Wood
Abou
Antwan
DJ
Makhel
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote: 4 years ago

Agreed. Take away the fact he is Hassan's brother and no one would be too excited about him. He was the fourth leading scorer on Charlotte.
There are Points per Game and there is efficiency of scoring the basketball

The issue for me with Thompson was his poor shooting ability. I also saw him time after time not hustling and losing his man to easily drive the lane his last year here.

Thompson Senior Year at Tulane
3P Overall = 25-92 for 27.2%
3P OCC = 13-39 for 33.3%
3P Conference = 12-53 for only 22.6%

Martin Sophomore Year at Charlotte
3P Overall = 34-90 for 37.8%
3P OCC = 12-31 for 38.7%
3P Conference = 22-59 for 37.3%

Thompson Senior Year at Tulane
FT Overall = 126-183 for 68.9%

Martin Sophomore Year at Charlotte
FT Overall = 51-70 for 72.9%

But the big question is do you take Martin or Berry. Since Berry did not accept his Offer that was extended to him 2 months ago its a moot point anyway
Thompson chose to leave. I would not have played Thompson ahead of Toppin or Walker or even for Long. This year's team needed to go young with Toppin, Walker and Long. None of the 8 players we had would I have wanted to take minutes away from and give them to Thompson
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I seem to recall Dayton playing more than 5 players last year. They definitely had a very effective backup or two for their backcourt, and even when Obi went out, his replacements in the front court with their limited minutes still managed to devastate us.

I'm thinking that is a model, with somewhat less experienced players.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I seem to recall Dayton playing more than 5 players last year. They definitely had a very effective backup or two for their backcourt, and even when Obi went out, his replacements in the front court with their limited minutes still managed to devastate us.

I'm thinking that is a model, with somewhat less experienced players.
Dayton had a good rotation. They had 5 players with 25 min/game and 4 players with 10 ppg or more. So using them to support your position for Malik playing 25 minutes and avg 10+ ppg doesn’t work.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I believe Sheppard starts at PG and Toppin starts at SF. I don’t see Malik starting.
If you think he is a SF, than URI could’ve still taken Berry as a SG.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea my point was that Thompson wasn't any good and Martin also appears to not be any good.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

You easily take Martin over Berry.

Cox is trying to get to the tournament next year.
Martin helps you with that more than Berry next year.

Maybe he is Christian Thompson level?

Similar players sure, but Malik is obviously better.

Go watch some Charlotte highlights on youtube. You'll find him making a play in every game. Plenty examples of what he can bring.

Transition, finishing with his left hand. I saw him PASS in transition to a guy open for three! He can drive. He has great form on his jump shot. In the Wake Forest video he hit a 3 in the last minute to give Charlotte the lead. Those among many others. Definitely seems like he plays within himself. Doesnt force a lot. Plays smart. Still an underclassman, so he has a lot of time to improve his game.

I think we will at worst get what he produced at Charlotte. Odds are he continues to improve.

Great get!

May all transfers be granted passage!
6 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

idk, it is strange the revisionist history of Tyrese as the human dynamo. Think of all of the three point shots that kid put up game after game, not to mention the entire team last year.

What would Tyrese's number be like if he just hit one or two of those a game?

What would the team's number be like if as a group they just hit 4 of those?

It's hard to base anything off of last year, the team that couldn't shoot straight. We have an influx of players who are at least a notch better in the shooting dept, if not pure shooters.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago You easily take Martin over Berry.

Cox is trying to get to the tournament next year.
Martin helps you with that more than Berry next year.

Maybe he is Christian Thompson level?

Similar players sure, but Malik is obviously better.

Go watch some Charlotte highlights on youtube. You'll find him making a play in every game. Plenty examples of what he can bring.

Transition, finishing with his left hand. I saw him PASS in transition to a guy open for three! He can drive. He has great form on his jump shot. In the Wake Forest video he hit a 3 in the last minute to give Charlotte the lead. Those among many others. Definitely seems like he plays within himself. Doesnt force a lot. Plays smart. Still an underclassman, so he has a lot of time to improve his game.

I think we will at worst get what he produced at Charlotte. Odds are he continues to improve.

Great get!

May all transfers be granted passage!
Bingo!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Martin is very excited about coming to URI too
He gets to come back home to the Northeast and to where he often watched his brother perform heroically.

Great move by TJ and DC
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Yea my point was that Thompson wasn't any good and Martin also appears to not be any good.
How the hell is Martin "not any good"? You realize Charlotte was a top 50 defensive team last year right? Guess who their best defender was? Malik.

He was one of the best defenders in the entire conference as a sophomore.

When we are up 1 with 10 seconds left and Malik gets a steal to win the game or draws a charge in key moments I'll remind you how good he is.

For a team that had a TJ and a Stan Robinson it sucks that people don't realize how beneficial it is having a guy like Martin on the team.
7 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I am a big fan of the dirt dog type player.. loved how t j played.. did not love Tyrese because he wasn't a dirt dog player. Sure he has talent no doubt.. but didn't like to get down and dirty.. thought I was going to love Tate.. that's how he was described coming in here.. not even close. If Malik gives us that going to love him. there's something about good defense and winning loose balls that gives a team that edge.. my type of necessary complimentary player to the smooth talented guys..
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting comments from his HC.
Seems Martin was a surprise to enter the portal.
Great that TJ and DC were quick to move.

Love it when David Cox pulls out these types of quick reaction recruiting moves.

Younger and Bertram (who spent much of his career at Charlotte injured) weren’t key players for the 49ers. Younger had seen his playing time drop dramatically this season before he announced he was entering the portal in January.
But based on their two seasons at Charlotte, there was no reason to think Martin and Robb were anything but ideal fits for Sanchez’s defense-first system.
Martin made Conference USA’s all-defense team last season. Robb, a backup guard, was a gritty defender who was second on the team in steals (to Martin) and averaged 2.5 defensive rebounds a game. They appeared to be strong blocks in the foundation Sanchez is building for the program.
“The biggest question for me is, do you feel like you were treated well?” Sanchez said. “Was it a meaningful experience? If the answer is yes, then I can’t do anything more. I can’t promise you more shots or more playing time. The experience is the most important thing to me. I’m hoping that’s what those guys can say that they were treated well, that we pushed them out of their comfort zone and made them better players.”

https://news.yahoo.com/charlotte-49ers- ... c=newsroom
0 x