Dan Hurley Signs Restructured Contract @ URI through 2021

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2015 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't think dans leaving.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote:I don't think dans leaving.
I hope not, Blue Man. But, you sounded much more confident a few hours ago.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

adam914 wrote:I told myself this last year with the Rutgers stuff and I am sticking with it this time around. I just don't believe Dan Hurley is going to look EC Matthews and Hassan Martin in the eyes and say "sorry guys, I'm outta here." Maybe he'll prove me wrong, call me naive if you want, and I get that it's a business and coaches do this all the time, but I still just don't believe that THIS coach is going to do it to THOSE guys.
+1

Was hard enough to do with the Wagner kids. He left because he couldn't make the post season. Did it here and is on the cusp of greatness. Easier to win the a10 than big east. Don't think money will be his main factor...and I also trust thorr and dooley will do the right thing.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I don't think dans leaving.
I hope not, Blue Man. But, you sounded much more confident a few hours ago.
Take that as sarcastic. But I would be shocked if he left.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

What if you brought in the guy who originally recruited
EC, Terrrell, Garrett, and Iverson?
Think they'd all be ready to jump?
Preston is one of us. His goal has been plainly stated all
along, to be head coach at URI.
Just do it!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Maybe Preston would bring A.J. Turner with him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:
Keaney.Blue wrote:If you're NOT worried about Coach Hurley leaving for SJU, you have your head in the sand.
unfortunately a big giant +1
It's a tough situation.
Problem is that we are such rabid URI fans that we put our heads in the sands for denial purposes. It's a natural human reaction.
We want to believe Dan and his family love Rhode Island, they love URI, they love the players on this team, they love the future outlook for this team led by 2 Freshmen and 2 Sophomores, they love the incoming Recruiting Class, and on and on. In fact, I believe all of that to be true.
Problem is that with Dan's success, and it has come rapidly at both Wagner and at URI (not just one but two schools back-to-back), also are going to come opportunities.
This St John's one scares me ----- a lot.
If Dan ever wanted the St John's job then this is the opportunity come knocking. St John's will not reappear for a while, and who knows where Dan is in life then.
This is not Seton Hall, its not Rutgers................St John's is a much better, more prideful program with a great history.

Also scary........
Kevin Tirone is from Staten Island as is Hassan Martin
Dan could literally take his whole Coaching staff along with him

We will know shortly, it's obviously out of our control.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Got a lot of thoughts, but I'll hold onto to most of them for now. All I'll say is that the geography makes me a little bit worried. Otherwise, I don't think the St. John's job is a better job than ours. Hell, if I were Bobby I wouldn't leave Buffalo for St. John's. There are better things down the road for these guys if they're patient. I know it probably sounds self-serving to say that, but that's my honest opinion.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This is some scary talk. But if Dan leaves then everything he's worked for here would be for nothing. And he's worked his ASS off here to get to this point. And he's been promising a lot here to the players and fans. Everything I've gathered from him tells me he's a genuine person and is coaching for honest reasons.
If he leaves he's a fraud.
Would be do that? For money?
It's a stretch. Would make me sad and angry at him.
We should send him a letter to tell him that we love him and to please not leave! Screw saint johns
Ride the Rhody underdog train to paradise and do something really special!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Get real, PTR. Dan is no fraud .... at least no more of a fraud than anyone else coaching Div. 1 basketball. I'm still hopeful that Dan stays, but if St. John's offers him 3 times what he makes here, you can't blame him for considering it.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

and I thought it was going to be a quiet off-season. I think he stays. Besides, can NYC handle his courtside manner? I find myself standing and applauding when the bench warning comes each game.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So what if Dan left and his staff followed?
Not like there's any stars in the bunch.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Could have a reunion of Preston, ARD and Tyson on the bench.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Would prefer a reunion with Bobby if it came to that. I know I said this in jest on a previous post, but is it reasonable that Bobby would be approcached and consider if Dan leaves.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bobby is not going to leave Buffalo to come here.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Whatever happens, I hope it happens quickly, not only for the fast approaching signing period and potential transfers, but for my sanity.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

On the bright side, we haven't had a coach that another school wanted since 1999.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Why doesn't there seem to be any interest in the PC coach?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

He's making $2mill already. Tough to lure someone away from their institution for similar money.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Why aren't Smart or Miller being mentioned? Because Hurley is a bigger name. And it's NYC and we all know that the Hurley family is legendary in the area. Smart and Miller are good coaches but don't have the name that Hurley has. Particularly in that area. I don't care what he hasn't done in the tournament. Everyone knows that this guy is destined for greatness. And I absolutely could see Texas making a run at him.
Last edited by scine20 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Smart is making over $1.5Mill.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

scine20 wrote:Why aren't Smart or Miller being mentioned? Because Hurley is a bigger name. And it's NYC and we all know that the Hurley family is legendary in the area. Smart and Miller are good coaches but don't have the name that Hurley has. Particularly in that area. I don't care what he hasn't done in the tournament. Everyone knows that this guy is destined for greatness. And I absolutely could see Texas making a run at him.
The environment in Queens NY is so different that Kingston, it seems that this decision could very well be simply based on preferences of him and his family in this regard.

If he and his family really don't want the traffic, density and NY pressure, then..................

If his family thinks RI is the sticks and get wait to get back to metro ny, then..........................

So the question might simply come down to the above.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Been fun reading this thread. Saw the St. Johns job open up this afternoon at work, and thought to myself, well here we go!

I think there's a chance Dan leaves. I think there's a bigger chance Bobby gets the job.

They are going to offer either one of them at least double what Dan makes here, maybe even triple.

If Dan leaves, he leaves. What would bother me the most, is that would torpedo our recruiting for next season. I don't think any of our players would go with him. Dan wouldn't do that to us.

Our chances of Dancing next season would decrease substantially also.

I'm all in with Rod. If Dan goes, get Preston back here pronto at Dan's present pay level. Then get either ARD or Al or both as assistants.

Smart isn't taking the St. Johns job. He's a big fish in a decent sized pond, making almost as much as a lot of P5 coaches. He's not going anywhere.

I will say this: We will see how serious Dan was, when he talked about being like Smart or McKillop, and building and maintaining a top program, and staying the course. Or was it all just bullshit.

If he leaves, it was all bullshit.

I'm not as worried as some of you though. I think Thorr and Dooley have expected this, and have done their homework. Think about this, if we had made the Dance this season, Dan would be even hotter as a candidate to leave.

It's never going to end, as long as he's here.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It's never going to end until we pay our coaches the going rate. Penders left for Texas after the Sweet 16 run. He went from $50k to $500K. If Dan was making $2mil, this wouldn't be a story.
0 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

Do you really think that Dan would abandon the players he has been so committed to. He is all about commitment. He is not going anywhere. His intentent is to build something here and that is what he is going to do.
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I like this quote from Dan in 2013 after he signed his contract amendment:

"A big part of college basketball is rumors and coaches going to different places. I’m excited to be here."

There's truth in that. Nobody says he can't be convinced to leave this time, but let's not get overly concerned until there's something a bit more concrete -- especially after the Spring of 2013.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote:what if he said "come with me"?
I think that is an over reaction. Give me one example of a coach leaving and several of his starters transferring to his new school. No way that happens.

What about all the articles on Dan this year that he wants to build a VCU or Gonzaga here? Do you think he was BS there?

He would have to look 6 players in the eyes - EC, Martin, Terrell, Garrett and the two freshmen.

His son is in HS. People close to Dan have said they really like the EG area.
His father never left and must have had many great offers.

There have been some interesting articles and TV comments that St. Johns and DePaul are no longer programs that can become big time. Every St Johns coach after Louie has been fired. Not a stable job.
ESPN short piece on St Johns didn't mention Dan. They mentioned and showed Chris Mullens and Mark Jackson.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rhodekill, I agree with you.

However, and I think everyone would agree, Dan needs to come out and emphatically squash all the rumors, if he's staying.

With the Rutgers job, he did that internally, but left everyone else guessing for a couple of days.

We need to hear from him directly, and soon.

Whatever happens, is going to happen pretty quickly I would guess. People in the know at URI probably already know.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan being listed as the one of the "top candidates" by all these media outlets haven't got any concrete info yet on the situation.

Just all speculation at this point.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

URI should be paying bare minimum what that 2000 student school in providence is paying. Anything less is ridiculous. The GA has lost it's hold on our school. Time to rectify this.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodekill wrote:Do you really think that Dan would abandon the players he has been so committed to. He is all about commitment. He is not going anywhere. His intentent is to build something here and that is what he is going to do.
Was he not committed to his players at Wagner?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Stop saying Dan "needs to" come out and do anything. All we need is for this to play out, like with Rutgers, and for him to stay here.

As soon as he and anyone else can officially say something, they will. Two years ago, Dan hopped on some 8am Sunday morning ESPN Radio show less than a day after it was announced he was staying. He wanted to get the word out, obviously.

Let's at least pretend that we've been here before, because we have. Johnnies is a different animal, but there is a game being played by representatives of coaches and universities and their friends in the media.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:URI should be paying bare minimum what that 2000 student school in providence is paying. Anything less is ridiculous. The GA has lost it's hold on our school. Time to rectify this.
Huh? SHOULD BE? Or you wish he was? That 2000 student school was fortunate that it now receives $4 Million a year from TV. That kind of makes a difference, no?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

They were paying that before the contract.
0 x
Rhodygrad98
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rhodygrad98 »

I read this board frequently,but this is my first post. Reading and listening to Dan's comments over the last year and even over the last few months, I would be surprised if he left.

However, I would not be shocked. He has an opportunity to more than double what he makes and coach a program with a rich tradition in NYC that he can certainly turn into a winner.

I do believe that something can be said for what his father has done at St. Anthony's all while staying loyal and never leaving despite opportunities over the years.

If I were Dan, I would be doing exactly what he's doing and saying nothing. What I hope is happening is he is leveraging this to try to get as much as possible out of URI before making a public statement that he's staying.

Bottom line is if this becomes all about the money, we will lose. However, I'm hard-pressed to believe that's the case given some of the statements he's made about building us to be a Gonzaga-type program in the east.

Let's let this play out and try (nearly impossible) to analyze every tweet and comment out there.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Stop saying Dan "needs to" come out and do anything. All we need is for this to play out, like with Rutgers, and for him to stay here.

As soon as he and anyone else can officially say something, they will. Two years ago, Dan hopped on some 8am Sunday morning ESPN Radio show less than a day after it was announced he was staying. He wanted to get the word out, obviously.

Let's at least pretend that we've been here before, because we have. Johnnies is a different animal, but there is a game being played by representatives of coaches and universities and their friends in the media.
Is "go local" on 103.7 tomorrow before Mustard and Johnson?

If so I am sure the Rookster will be happy to take that phone call....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:They were paying that before the contract.
Might want to check the actual numbers, but you make it seem that PC didn't have several times more TV money than URI gets as well as a larger fan base.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:
theblueram wrote:They were paying that before the contract.
Might want to check the actual numbers, but you make it seem that PC didn't have several times more TV money than URI gets as well as a larger fan base.
ATP, PC has an annual operating budget of......wait for it....$160 million. Yet they pay their coach $2 mill. URI has an operating budget of about $850 mill, and pay their coach $800k. Do the math.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That is obviously not comparing apples to apples.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

In other coaching news Andy Toole has turned down the Fordham job. Smart move by him, he's got a pretty good thing going at Robert Morris. If the worst case scenario plays out I would think he's a coach we'd like to interview.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Let's not talk about loyalty and commitment. If any of you could triple your salary to do the same job, you would jump also. Unless Thor comes up with some big cash, he is gone.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

theblueram, URI at this time cannot afford to pay Dan 2 mil a year.

How was VCU able to afford paying Shaka that kind of money?

From the huge increase in revenue brought in by VCU's success on the court.

We don't have the success [yet] or the revenue.

It's going to take time for the money stream to start flowing. Then they can pay Dan and co. more.

In the meantime, some creative ways to increase the staff's pay will have to do.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You get what you pay for
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:theblueram, URI at this time cannot afford to pay Dan 2 mil a year.

How was VCU able to afford paying Shaka that kind of money?

From the huge increase in revenue brought in by VCU's success on the court.

We don't have the success [yet] or the revenue.

It's going to take time for the money stream to start flowing. Then they can pay Dan and co. more.

In the meantime, some creative ways to increase the staff's pay will have to do.
says who Bone? you? the GA? The school can actually afford to pay whatever they want. The schools budget is in fact close to $1 billion. The states budget is $8 billion. Oh, and we get maybe $40 mill from the state each year. Stop with the school is broke because the state is broke. the only thing broken is the connection of this state to the University.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Mustard and Johnson are still on the radio?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If it's only about the money, Dan would be gone and there's nothing URI could do about it.

If he stays, it's not about the money, at least for now.

I don't know if Thorr and Dooley expected to open the vault for Dan this soon, but they are going to have to at least increase his pay somewhat.

If we want that top program, URI will have to pay for it sooner or later.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:If it's only about the money, Dan would be gone and there's nothing URI could do about it.

If he stays, it's not about the money, at least for now.

I don't know if Thorr and Dooley expected to open the vault for Dan this soon, but they are going to have to at least increase his pay somewhat.

If we want that top program, URI will have to pay for it sooner or later.
absolutely disagree. if it's about the money URI could pay it if they wanted to.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

theblueram wrote:Donaldson and the rest of the blowjo staff will become irrelevant staring Monday. The doubling of the daily paper to $2 will absolutely crush the paper.
That's to get people "to their other platforms…." per the new publisher.
0 x