The Upcoming 2015-16 Season!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Upcoming 2015-16 Season!

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iverson just needs a coach to get this out of him. This is his junior year in high school, The talent is obvious.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

True. Iverson is very talented.
Not many guys that size can handle the ball like that.
He's got the whole package. It's all there, but
Dan and staff need to bring it out in him.
So many highly ranked players have gone to Memphis under
Pastner and failed.
He's like Steve Lavin. He can recruit players, but he can't develop them.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We've got a good strength and conditioning coach too in Marshall. It's all up to Kuran now. If he wants to make it big and get to the next level, it's up to him. The motivation should be there...I hope.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree. The main thing to keep in mind is, he sought URI
out.
According to Dan, Iverson realizes he needs structure to become the player
he was once projected to be.
Plenty of motivation there, by player and coaches. Not much to lose,
but a whole lot to gain.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

those who seem to be overly optimistic should take a look at last years Nebraska team.picked as top 25 team,contender for big-10 title,a preseason all American.

too much hype and expectations
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

kal-65 wrote:those who seem to be overly optimistic should take a look at last years Nebraska team.picked as top 25 team,contender for big-10 title,a preseason all American.

or that Duke team who was a consesus Top 3 team and title favorite...and fulfilled said expectations
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

kal-65 wrote:those who seem to be overly optimistic should take a look at last years Nebraska team.picked as top 25 team,contender for big-10 title,a preseason all American.

So, should we just expect that we're going to suck and be pleasantly surprised if we don't? I prefer to be optimistic. I'm not anticipating a national championship. I'm anticipating having a great time watching this team and taking it one more step as far as the programs development goes.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Watching that highlight film... thats like 5 years ago. Scary talented to think he must be better than that. I see him as a D pierre from Dayton, just more talented and taller.

temper expectations? thats awful. URI will have the best 5 in the A10 with Iverson, EC, Terrell, Jarvis, Hassan.

The real question is if we can add any kind of height to make us nationally dangerous. Also what do we get from the freshmen?

I expect us to physically bully our way through the A10... think about these guys all in the weight room 1 more year. We already teetered on being the most physically imposing team, never mind 1 more year.

Dan Hurley is clearly all in with the roster cuts. Holding onto the studs and cleaning house is just insanely aggressive. Not seen around these parts maybe ever.

WHERE IS THE HEIGHT!!!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Really? Why don't you go back and look at the prediction contests from two years ago?
Almost everyone predicted 20 plus wins.
I don't give a shit what guys do in practice. We heard how Oneykaba was killing it
in practice, and Gilvydas was going to be the best frontcourt player in the A-10.
How'd that work out?
I consider losing TJ significant. Maybe you don't.
Go back on the A-10 board and make more anti-Italian slurs.

I'm not sure how predictive looking at two years ago is. The year before that Mike Powell played the most minutes per game, two years ago he bailed when he wasn't getting the playing time. Munford was 2nd in minutes per game. Andre Malone was third in minutes and graduated. Nicola Malesevic was fourth in minutes and graduated. Jordan Hare was fifth in minutes and bailed before the season. TJ was sixth in minutes. Next year we're bringing back our top four players in minutes per game, which is a lot more continuity then we had two years ago. We're bringing back our four most talented players, players who are significantly better than the players who were returning before, players who are going to be juniors and sophomores. I understand you're not saying that we're going to only go 14-18, but I just don't see any relevance to the team two years ago, I see no reason to even bring it up, and I see no reason to temper my expectations for next year based on that team.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I do not think I have seen a more impressive highlight film. We need to get this guy eligible for the entire season!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

billy,nobody is saying we suck.however as the roster is as we know it,we lack biggies,and consistent outside scoring,a back up point guard would help

goals should be realistic and attainable. making the dance ,imo,is a steetch
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

A backup point guard, one young man known as "Four"? anybody?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We need a real backup PG. I know Hurley will have no problems finding one.
Let's hold off on Four's induction into Springfield. I never heard he was a PG,
in any case.
All I was trying to say , before was, learn from things.
When you are trying to blend as many newcomers as we will have,
it's not that easy.
It takes time. That's been proven to anyone with eyes open.
Only guys like Calipari and Coach K can do this, because they're dealing
with the cream of the crop. We don't have that luxury.
Player development is part of Dan's formula.
Again, time and patience.
We do have the advantage of the core 4, so we should be much
better off than two years ago.
Again, the wild card here is, there may be up to three players that on this
day, we have no knowledge of who they are.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

making the dance is a stretch? we return 85% of our production from a team that won 23 games. If you dont have high expectations for next season then you are high yourself. This should be the most anticipated season of Rhody hoops since the season leading out of our Elite Eight and into Lamar's only season (98-99). Yes we will be adding new faces, yes we have a potentially impt transfer who hasnt found his groove in college yet. But almost every team in the country has major questions entering a season. We have 4 building blocks returning for their prime years...most coaches would trade places with Dan right now.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

bar no need for slurs;yes no quality wins against top 50;barely beat some a-10 bottom teams

the schedule will be harder,hopefully the cupcakesare gone [Delaware st, umas Lowell ,Detroit etc]

we do not at present have an inside game
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

If URI doesn't make the tournament next year it will be a huge disappointment and I'll question Hurley's true ability as a coach. Provided that the main 4 guys stay healthy, of course.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria · 34m34 minutes ago  North Carolina, USA
Rhody's Dan Hurley and Luke Murray are at Hutch today to see 6-8 JUCO F Deshawn Freeman
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

no slurs intended kal, just for dramatic effect. but i think the notion that the ncaa's is a "stretch", as you said it, is way off base. I will be VERY disappointed if we do not make the tourney next season, and i am pretty sure my expectations are realistic. It's go time.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm with BAR. My expectation is we make the tourney this year. I just get a bit leery seeing 7 new players being integrated. That normally does not work out well. I hope they all like defense. Cause at URI....We love it!!!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Does anybody know if Iverson will get cleared to play from day 1 next year? it was reported earlier that this was a strong possibility
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Tom98 wrote:Does anybody know if Iverson will get cleared to play from day 1 next year? it was reported earlier that this was a strong possibility
The bigger question might be, will the NCAA even rule on it before the season starts?
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

In my opinion, losing TJ is going to hurt a bit and will probably show at the beginning of next season until someone steps up as a leader and as the new "never say die, glue guy". I think Jarvis has the mentality to be that guy. Another positive is that I think he has the potential to score more points than TJ as well. Hass has a good mentality as well, but I think the player at the point guard position has more influence over a team as a whole since they're typically running the plays and setting the tone for how things run.
Next year should be fun to watch!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hopefully TJ will be a grad assistant and his presence will still be felt!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Kal, Slurs? wha? to just what kind of slur are you referring? When I read that I was quite surprised to hear that BAR threw a slur out there, that behavior is not at all consistent with BAR's past behavior. I looked back and read nothing offensive or even in the realm of slur, unless you are referring to some alternate definition of slur that is. Slur is a word that at this time in our culture conjures mainly negative racial associations and I question your intentions using such off-based verbiage. BAR used a turn on words for levity not to slur you. If you don't expect better results next year than this year, you're a friar fan, now that's a slur! :lol: :lol:

to clarify, I'm accusing you of being a friar fan. :P :P :P

to further clarify, I'm razzing you, jokingly goading, just a little vexing for fun.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The Dude wrote:In my opinion, losing TJ is going to hurt a bit and will probably show at the beginning of next season until someone steps up as a leader and as the new "never say die, glue guy". I think Jarvis has the mentality to be that guy. Another positive is that I think he has the potential to score more points than TJ as well. Hass has a good mentality as well, but I think the player at the point guard position has more influence over a team as a whole since they're typically running the plays and setting the tone for how things run.
IMO Jared Terrell will be the leader of this team eventually.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:
The Dude wrote:In my opinion, losing TJ is going to hurt a bit and will probably show at the beginning of next season until someone steps up as a leader and as the new "never say die, glue guy". I think Jarvis has the mentality to be that guy. Another positive is that I think he has the potential to score more points than TJ as well. Hass has a good mentality as well, but I think the player at the point guard position has more influence over a team as a whole since they're typically running the plays and setting the tone for how things run.
IMO Jared Terrell will be the leader of this team eventually.
I think he already is.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Jared definitely seems like the alpha-est from my vantage point.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This really hasn't been brought up yet. But couldn't Iverson play the point? He was a PG. He looks to have the handle...and that would open the door for an iverson/thompson/mcglynn/butts/watson 2nd lineup
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

kal-65 wrote:bar no need for slurs;yes no quality wins against top 50;barely beat some a-10 bottom teams
the schedule will be harder,hopefully the cupcakesare gone [Delaware st, umas Lowell ,Detroit etc]

we do not at present have an inside game
its called conference play, get used to it.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote:This really hasn't been brought up yet. But couldn't Iverson play the point? He was a PG. He looks to have the handle...and that would open the door for an iverson/thompson/mcglynn/butts/watson 2nd lineup

No chance Hurley plays him at PG.
0 x
Go Rhody
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

On a different note from the above topics... Spoke to Iffy on campus yesterday. He was just getting done working out in the RC, playing pick up with the team and lifting. He is very determined to get some playing time next year. Had a great attitude about wanting to get on the court. I also asked him why Jordan Hare was still a student at URI since that didn't make sense to me. Turns out he didn't have a high enough GPA to transfer, but after this semester he will finally be leaving.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well Kaminsky only played in 4 games his first two years, right??? I guess anything is possible.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He started only 4 games. He played in many more.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Looks like we have a year end event at Quidnessett. Tuesday April 28 at 5:30. $50 per person. I think I may have to mosey on over to this one.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ditto!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Running Ram wrote:Kal, Slurs? wha? to just what kind of slur are you referring? When I read that I was quite surprised to hear that BAR threw a slur out there, that behavior is not at all consistent with BAR's past behavior. I looked back and read nothing offensive or even in the realm of slur, unless you are referring to some alternate definition of slur that is. Slur is a word that at this time in our culture conjures mainly negative racial associations and I question your intentions using such off-based verbiage. BAR used a turn on words for levity not to slur you. If you don't expect better results next year than this year, you're a friar fan, now that's a slur! :lol: :lol:

to clarify, I'm accusing you of being a friar fan. :P :P :P

to further clarify, I'm razzing you, jokingly goading, just a little vexing for fun.
For the true definition of slur suggest we contact Andrew Harrison of Kentucky for his post game interview.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

McRAM I would consider Harrison's remarks a smear not a slur ; debating ideas on this site doesn't require either
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

still have not seen the slur remark. kal can you enlighten us on how specifically you felt someone threw a slur at you?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think because he was asked if he was high?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I thought that was a compliment :lol: :lol:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ha yeah, I don't know man. Doesn't seem like a slur to me but to each his own. It was obviously just a coin of phrase, not a put-down.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

If Kal is Jamaican, then it's a slur, because that would be like asking me if I just ate a meatball, otherwise not a slur.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Or if he was Swiss, "are you high? In the mountains?"
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

kal-65 wrote:McRAM I would consider Harrison's remarks a smear not a slur ; debating ideas on this site doesn't require either
Not sure I understand the difference- always thought a smear was something a woman had once a year!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm obviously not part of today's hip-hop culture,
but I'm not sure I get Harrison calling a white Jewish kid
the N word?
And if that word is so vile, than why do blacks use it so much,
sometimes even as a greeting to each other?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Lots can be said about that. IMHO I think it is irresponsible.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:I'm obviously not part of today's hip-hop culture,
but I'm not sure I get Harrison calling a white Jewish kid
the N word?
And if that word is so vile, than why do blacks use it so much,
sometimes even as a greeting to each other?
I dunno what's wrong with Andrew Harrison?!?
Doesn't he realize that "Harrison" is a common surname of Jews living in England???
Maybe he got confused after the Big Game, and what he wanted to do was use "The P Word," and mutter, "Fuck that Polack."
Listen carefully, because I believe you can begin to make out the "ppp" sound, just before he messes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyZ0VEl ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF GHETTO/SHTETL LLC
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Melvin Kaminsky is the great Mel Brook's real name.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:Melvin Kaminsky is the great Mel Brook's real name.
Well, since Frankie stayed at school for four years, maybe this is what he'll see of a similar 2015 version of the late Mrs. Kaminsky as he enters the real world….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acEh0kE ... freload=10

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES

A SUBSIDIARY OF WHATEVER HAPPENED TO GREAT SOUNDTRACKS LLC
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

How did Mel Brooks ever get to marry Ann Bancroft?

Koo koo ka chew, Mrs. Brooks..
0 x