State of the Program/Our Fan's Sanity

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

State of the Program/Our Fan's Sanity

Unread post by Blue Man »

Took a day to recover, and most of what I say only applies to a small minority on this board, but here we go:

Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who has anything negative to say after this weekend is someone who will NEVER be satisfied at anything in their life. EVER. Take stock in that and re-assess your personal decisions. If you asked anyone, on March 16th, 2012, where this program would be today, they'd think you were on a 15 year acid trip if you described where we stand right now. If you asked anyone at the beginning of this year:

Starting 2 freshman/2 sophomores who are 19 YEARS OLD: 22-9, 13-5 in conference, 3 seed in the A10 tourney, competing for outright league title in the last week of the season, 4 point semifinal loss to NCAA bound team, 6 of the 9 losses to NCAA teams, close games, every game but 2 we had a chance to win...there's FUN around this program again - you would have signed up for that in a heartbeat.

If you are not satisfied right now, with this program on the most legitimate upswing it has been on in literally decades, you will never be satisfied with anything. Why are you even a fan if you can't get swept up in this?

Year 3 of this rebuild. (The mess left behind by Mr. Mustachio put us at -1, you could make the case we're in year 2). Any rebuild schedule wants to see you start to recruit and build a foundation in year 1. Year 2 become competitive. Year 3 make postseason play. Year 4 NCAA run.

Most of the national attention that has turned to this program has said "Here is Rhode Island, competing for an A10 title, a year ahead of schedule."

Young teams make mistakes. When they have good coaching, they learn from those mistakes, then they get better. Every. Single. Year. We have seen improvement around this program: from facilities, to recruiting classes, to play calls, to results - straight linear improvement. This is what we all wanted. Now we have it. Enjoy it.

Stop complaining. This is awesome. Let's go rape and pillage our way through this bracket so we can go bang more shots at Pacos' Tacos at the end of the month.

This program is the best possible position anyone not interned at Butler could have fathomed right now. This is what should be expected (and honestly beyond). Meeting/exceeding expectations = happiness.

LETS GO RHODY.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: State of the Program/Our Fan's Sanity

Unread post by Rhody74 »

+1
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

a-fucking-men
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

+2
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I think we covered all of this in other threads.
Frustration over Saturday, and criticism of performances in
that game should not be misconstrued as dissatisfaction for the
entire program.
I really didn't see many, if any here, trashing Hurley or the program.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good point Rod.

We all see the big picture. Short term angst, long term happy.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

packos tacos!
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yeah anyone out there trashing Hurley at this point can't really be identified as a Rhody fan in my book. Speaking as someone who has rearranged the old adage, God country family to read God family Rhody country, I'm unhappy we lost to Dayton of course but am beyond thrilled that we are playing in March and that we all here have good reason to look forward.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Can't wait for next season, more work to do this season.....sitting in the Hurley intro presser did I think we would be here today?......No......living the dream that a sleeping giant has been awoken.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

All of this.

Hurley has us on the fast track now. We just came within an eyelash of making the NCAA with a team of underclassmen.

Cant wait to see next year with the additions of Butts, Thompson and of course Iverson. That may be the strongest top 7 since Al was still around.

All we need (and by all indications, he will) is Thorr to channel his inner Teddy KGB and pay the man his money.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

twisted3829 wrote:packos tacos!
Paco's Tacos for life
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

What I don't understand (on a message board dedicated to a singular subject) why A+ or an F are the only options when having these discussions. Can't you like the view from 50,000 feet but dissect the particulars? Is this bothers people, maybe a message board isn't for you. Which is completely fine. In a vacuum, 22-9 (13-5) is a great three year end point. But, I think you can have deeper discussions and enjoy them. What is working, what is not, needs, critiques, coaching style. I am sure the Kentucky message board is having these.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I'm super hoping the Dunk gets the A10 tourney while they let the other conference borrow the Barclay's. That would really be something, I would finally be able to afford the trip and the program will be in great shape to contend for a championship. Everybody cross your fingers for me 8-)
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

GBG, when you have a culture of whining and complaining first it is unhealthy. That is what some of us object to. I've said many times I have my own opinions about things I'd like to see us to do better or differently but those things should not heavily outweigh the appreciation for what these kids accomplished this year in the context of where the program is coming from. The good too far outweighs the bad for there to be so much consternation.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think what GBG is saying is, you can like the overall big picture,
and still critique the day to day items that come up.
Either that or we just put up a picture of Dan and the team and
use it as a screen saver, and not allow discussion, because it may
offend those with no objectivity.
You can love something and still see the flaws. That's life.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think we should have beaten Dayton. Could DH have done something different to win the game??? I dont think so.

Im frustrated. To say we have a young team... blah blah. Yea I got it. The team could have danced. 4 points and 40 minutes from an auto-bid.

I'm excited about the program and love Dan Hurley. I think Jarvis G is the man. I think EC is awesome. I love Hassan Martin. JAred Terrell? He is amazing. I don't dislike any of our players, coaches, administrators. BUT IM DISSAPOINTED WE DIDNT DANCE.

I don't need perspective. I need to dance. WIN THE NIT!!!!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Running Ram wrote:I'm super hoping the Dunk gets the A10 tourney while they let the other conference borrow the Barclay's. That would really be something, I would finally be able to afford the trip and the program will be in great shape to contend for a championship. Everybody cross your fingers for me 8-)
That would be years from now.

2016: Barclay's
2017: Pittsburgh
2018: Verizon Center in DC
2019-2021: Barclay's

Would have loved the Dunk in 2017 or 2018.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Don't be obtuse, G- there's a time and place for everything. Criticism is fine, so long as the facts are correct and reflect an understanding of the larger context.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Program is in great shape, what I want to see between now and next season:

-ECs ball handling improved, esp going right. And a pull up jumper added to his game.

-Hassan at big man camp all summer developing a consistent game from 10-15 feet

-Terrell and Garrett putting up 500 shots a day all summer - and becoming 35%+ from beyond the arc next season

All that comes together and we are scary good next season (regardless of new faces, recruits, transfers, etc).
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Isn't the end of the season a pretty good time for this? I will say I haven't gotten into some of the other threads so maybe there is some comments that have led to this thread being necessary. Either way, I just don't care for people making massive blanket statements (e.g. anyone who has anything negative to say will never be satisfied with life). I mean, c'mon, this team was not on the bubble of a bad NCAA field. It's not like they made a FF run and some people are bitching. If you told me three years ago that 3/2015 would look like this, I probably would have signed up for it but I at least would have thought twice about it. The defense is final four worthy. Check. The team has stars. Check. Both typically prerequisites for NCAA runs. But, what was the best win this year? This team has had opportunities to win critical games and hasn't come through. I think that is something the players and staff still need to think about. This team was #331 in three point shooting. #296 in FT%. I doubt you will find any team in the tournament that makes it to the 2nd weekend particularly close to that bad. Will it improve organically? Will it come from the outside? Because those numbers and failure to beat the better teams are related pretty closely in my mind. So, how is it resolved? Again, from 50,000 feet I think I would give this spot in time a solid B+ but I sort of enjoy the particulars of getting to the next level.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Gonebarongone wrote:Isn't the end of the season a pretty good time for this? I will say I haven't gotten into some of the other threads so maybe there is some comments that have led to this thread being necessary. Either way, I just don't care for people making massive blanket statements (e.g. anyone who has anything negative to say will never be satisfied with life). I mean, c'mon, this team was not on the bubble of a bad NCAA field. It's not like they made a FF run and some people are bitching. If you told me three years ago that 3/2015 would look like this, I probably would have signed up for it but I at least would have thought twice about it. The defense is final four worthy. Check. The team has stars. Check. Both typically prerequisites for NCAA runs. But, what was the best win this year? This team has had opportunities to win critical games and hasn't come through. I think that is something the players and staff still need to think about. This team was #331 in three point shooting. #296 in FT%. I doubt you will find any team in the tournament that makes it to the 2nd weekend particularly close to that bad. Will it improve organically? Will it come from the outside? Because those numbers and failure to beat the better teams are related pretty closely in my mind. So, how is it resolved? Again, from 50,000 feet I think I would give this spot in time a solid B+ but I sort of enjoy the particulars of getting to the next level.
welcome to the growing pains of every team depending on underclassmen ever not named The Fab 5
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

steviep123 wrote:
Running Ram wrote:I'm super hoping the Dunk gets the A10 tourney while they let the other conference borrow the Barclay's. That would really be something, I would finally be able to afford the trip and the program will be in great shape to contend for a championship. Everybody cross your fingers for me 8-)
That would be years from now.

2016: Barclay's
2017: Pittsburgh
2018: Verizon Center in DC
2019-2021: Barclay's

Would have loved the Dunk in 2017 or 2018.
Damn! I didn't catch that 17' and 18' were resolved, Pittsburgh? ugh!! Guess it's never coming here, I'd better start saving and making plans for Barclay's 16' if I ever want to get to one of these before the age of retirement.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I think it's just fine to critique any aspect of any program on a discussion board, I get miffed when folks take things to the personal level when they are frustrated, it is never acceptable to read "I can't wait for (so and so) to graduate and get out of here" that is a paraphrase, I believe the original included an F bomb and the comment was totally uncalled for, that's when my feelings are hurt for a kid who by all accounts has been a dedicated team-mate, a good student and hasn't exactly lived up to the bball hype that came with him, comments like that are obnoxious and juvenile, I only read it once and don't remember who wrote it, so this is not an attack or provocation, it is an example of what I would consider to be over the line and comment of which I would like to not be associated. I didn't say anything at the time, I thought it better to not call attention to it, I believe it was written out of frustration, but unacceptable all the same.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
ramswin
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ramswin »

Is this the "voice your complaint" thread?

Can we find players that can actually dribble a basketball? I've seen enough turnovers leading to lay-ups this season to last me a lifetime.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramswin wrote:Is this the "voice your complaint" thread?

Can we find players that can actually dribble a basketball? I've seen enough turnovers leading to lay-ups this season to last me a lifetime.
Fail
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This thread is so meta.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

bigappleram wrote:Program is in great shape, what I want to see between now and next season:

-ECs ball handling improved, esp going right. And a pull up jumper added to his game.

-Terrell and Garrett putting up 500 shots a day all summer - and becoming 35%+ from beyond the arc next season

All that comes together and we are scary good next season (regardless of new faces, recruits, transfers, etc).
To add onto what you said, Hurley needs to figure out how to be a better coach on the offensive side of the ball. Clearly our defense doesn't need too much work but the offense looked very lackluster for most games this season.
0 x
RamInLA
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RamInLA »

josephski wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Program is in great shape, what I want to see between now and next season:

To add onto what you said, Hurley needs to figure out how to be a better coach on the offensive side of the ball. Clearly our defense doesn't need too much work but the offense looked very lackluster for most games this season.
+1 on all of that. Improved ball-handling/shooting skill will help the offense a lot, but I don't think Hurley's offensive coaching is up to par, and that should probably be mentioned more. I love what Hurley has done for the program, so I don't want to come off as a hater, but I think it's fair to say there is room for improvement in that department.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

RamInLA wrote:
+1 on all of that. Improved ball-handling/shooting skill will help the offense a lot, but I don't think Hurley's offensive coaching is up to par, and that should probably be mentioned more. I love what Hurley has done for the program, so I don't want to come off as a hater, but I think it's fair to say there is room for improvement in that department.
I've been a skeptic of the offense, too. But, man, is it a chicken or egg situation? No real true low post threat (not sure how many of HM, as great as he is, come off a good entry pass and post move). And definitely no guy who can stretch the D. Other coaches aren't dumb (non Paul Hewitt category). They are basically clogging five guys into 16-17 feet. So, it definitely can make an offense look pretty bad. I am sure we would all love these guys to shoot 500 jumpers a day but most guys work hard at this level so I don't know how you get from 29% to 35% just through natural growth. What did Iverson shoot at Memphis? Can we get a grad xfer who can shoot? Is there a late 2015 recruit on the radar. Ball handling is definitely an issue. But, the big one for me, is being able to stretch the defense and/or respecting a post offense.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

DH along with dozens of other coaches, prefers a high ball screen offense that gives guards freedom to penetrate and initiate offense. We are not Davidson or Richmond. We will not in DHs time be adopting their offense. They wish they had our defense and athleticism so the grass is always greener. When our 3 guards mature and become triple threat players the offense will look a lot better. He has clamored for a Stretch 4 b/c that would open up the lane, giving more room for guards to operate, and add another perimeter weapon. Our offense is the same as 100 other teams, and 40 others that are in the tourney. Its not the design its the execution. Great players make coaches look like geniuses.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Gonebarongone wrote:
RamInLA wrote:
I've been a skeptic of the offense, too. But, man, is it a chicken or egg situation? No real true low post threat (not sure how many of HM, as great as he is, come off a good entry pass and post move). And definitely no guy who can stretch the D. Other coaches aren't dumb (non Paul Hewitt category). They are basically clogging five guys into 16-17 feet. So, it definitely can make an offense look pretty bad. I am sure we would all love these guys to shoot 500 jumpers a day but most guys work hard at this level so I don't know how you get from 29% to 35% just through natural growth. What did Iverson shoot at Memphis? Can we get a grad xfer who can shoot? Is there a late 2015 recruit on the radar. Ball handling is definitely an issue. But, the big one for me, is being able to stretch the defense and/or respecting a post offense.
GBG I agree with all of that....and I dont think a 29% shooter to a 35% shooter is as big of a stretch when its 2 guys going from FR to SO years, biggest year of improvement usually for guards. If they were juniors with a 3 year body of work and offensive games that were fairly established I would agree, but I think both Jared and Jarvis have good enough mechanics to be 35% shooters from beyond the arc next year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We don't have a knock down shooter.
The best thing I heard from Dan was him telling me
Thompson is a bigger Xavier Munford. (sorry GBG)
You cannot win with a 6'7" center with no legitimate backup or
a single player besides Iverson being over 6'7" on
next years projected roster.
A guy like Mo Allie-Cox can do it, because he's the
Art Stephanson of his day.
He just is so much stronger and outworks everyone, that
he can overcome his lack of height.
I too, expect Terrell and Garrett to greatly improve next season.
EC needs to work on his handle, night and day. I don't know if they can
make him a catch and shoot guy, to lessen his need to dribble?
Can't wait to hear who the new big guy is going to be.
0 x
RamInLA
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RamInLA »

You guys are saying we can't stretch the D, which is without question true. Dayton's D was stretched plenty on Saturday, though. They were picking us up WELL past the 3 point line, and still we pass the ball around the arc until the shot clock runs down, and jack up a contested 3 or long 2. Or EC tries to take on a triple team by himself (which he has been doing all season, and apparently has the green light from Dan to keep doing?)

Dayton deserves credit for playing good defense, and the players improving will help. But I don't think it's wrong to say the coach can improve too. I have confidence he will. He's a hard worker and obviously has intense will to win.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Can't wait for next season because this team is on its way now. This year was exactly what I expected.
Expectations for the next two seasons, hohowever will be higher for each year, and hopefully beyond that.
With Baron the NIT became the plateau for senior laden teams. With Hurley the Nit is just the jumping off poin for a young team..
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rod, the big guy you're talking about. Is this someone Dan expects to come in and play right away?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No clue. It's a well kept secret.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

While I agree with Blue Man's rant, the thing I hate most about message boards is when others tell me what my opinion should be. Disagree with my opinion, fine; but don't tell me what my opinion should be.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Iggy1979 wrote:While I agree with Blue Man's rant, the thing I hate most about message boards is when others tell me what my opinion should be. Disagree with my opinion, fine; but don't tell me what my opinion should be.
YOU'VE got a nerve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By-the-way: I AM looking forward to tomorrow's game!!!!!!!
0 x
GY=URI
Abdul Fox

Unread post by GY=URI »

I hope the big man coming is a big man coach who can teach the
guards (and Hurley) how to involve the big man more. And also to get Iffy
off the bench and Jordan Hare back on the TEAM.....
0 x
GY=URI
Abdul Fox

Unread post by GY=URI »

No big man coach?
No inside out game for better shots?
No better inside defense?
No top 100 Center?
If we had one of the above this season we could be dancing now.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

GY=URI wrote:No big man coach?
No top 100 Center?
Is this thread my nightmare?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

TruePoint wrote:
GY=URI wrote:No big man coach?
No top 100 Center?
Is this thread my nightmare?
No, it's all of ours……..
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

GY=URI wrote:I hope the big man coming is a big man coach who can teach the
Are you JH's mom?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Seriously? Hare?
I do agree on the big man coach, though.
Could have had ARD, but he's not from NJ or a
Hurley familiar.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:DH along with dozens of other coaches, prefers a high ball screen offense that gives guards freedom to penetrate and initiate offense. We are not Davidson or Richmond. We will not in DHs time be adopting their offense. They wish they had our defense and athleticism so the grass is always greener. When our 3 guards mature and become triple threat players the offense will look a lot better. He has clamored for a Stretch 4 b/c that would open up the lane, giving more room for guards to operate, and add another perimeter weapon. Our offense is the same as 100 other teams, and 40 others that are in the tourney. Its not the design its the execution. Great players make coaches look like geniuses.
I agree with this in a general sense. You are right in that many offenses are like that. My thought is that it doesn't make it right. I think it is such a lame way to run an offense. Mainly because teams (as opposed to 10 years ago) have become so much better at defending the high ball screen. Just watch the end of close game situations in college. Not just URI. It's gross. Let the clock wind down, set high ball screen, and let your putative best player go to work. It's such a low success rate. It works better in the NBA because you have guys in the corners who can make 23 footers and bigs that can step out and make a shot. In college, the play breaks down and it becomes a dribble fest and a prayer shot (usually). X did this last year. EC did it this year. I'd love for an offensive coordinator type guy on the staff. While I do agree that guys will mature and the offense will become better naturally, I do worry that the lack of creativity and motion, especially in crunch time, will be an ongoing problem. Like I said before, this defense is good enough to make a massive run in the NCAAs.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

bigappleram wrote:DH along with dozens of other coaches, prefers a high ball screen offense that gives guards freedom to penetrate and initiate offense. We are not Davidson or Richmond. We will not in DHs time be adopting their offense. They wish they had our defense and athleticism so the grass is always greener. When our 3 guards mature and become triple threat players the offense will look a lot better. He has clamored for a Stretch 4 b/c that would open up the lane, giving more room for guards to operate, and add another perimeter weapon. Our offense is the same as 100 other teams, and 40 others that are in the tourney. Its not the design its the execution. Great players make coaches look like geniuses.
Thanks BAR!
If this team does a better job of taking care of the ball and becomes more consistent on FTs, watch out.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Uh oh

Relatively new poster (March 2014) did not get the memo on ___________

Chalk it up as a rookie mistake

Admins need to do a better job with the Keaney Blue orientation program
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote:
Uh oh

Relatively new poster (March 2014) did not get the memo on ___________

Chalk it up as a rookie mistake

Admins need to do a better job with the Keaney Blue orientation program
Right now, they get $5 for Albie's and a copy of Rod's autobiography, "That's My Opinion and SCREW YOU!" We've been negotiating to get Hurley's brother's cousin's neighbor to work as a greeter, but we're haggling on whether the compensation will be free dinners at Spain's or Homestead.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't read much...but I would get the book on tape of "That's my opinion and SCREW YOU!" and listen to that on repeat.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm getting rich off the royalties from my book.
I'm ghostwriting one for Blue Man entitled:
Fuck Everyone We Play + Fuck Their Fans, Too!
0 x