Not Patriots, but please enjoy this Jordan Matthews’ quote:

2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: The Patriot Way

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Wow, what a disaster last night.
Typical BB douchery in the postgame.
I feel bad for the quality reporters BB continued to demean for quality questions.
BB will never own it, but these losses are personnel based and on him.
Coaching can only take you so far, NFL has been growing into a speed/agility game for some time and the Pats are slow on both sides of the ball.
Houston was a mirage, the holes are clearly legit and teams have figured out how to attack it.

Who would have thought a Week 4 matchup against Miami could be a pivotal game to their season?
Lose and Miami is 4-0 and you are 1-3.
You have to go back to Week 8 in 2002 to find the last time the Dolphins had a 2+ game lead on the Patriots.
3+ games would have to go back to the end of 2000.
Miami's schedule has certainly been a joke, but Pats haven't played well either.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't see how the defense gets significantly better, Chung will help but he's not that much of a difference maker. The offense however should get a huge boost with Edelman coming back and if they can get good Gordon then they can still be a top offense.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

There are too many holes on defense to be able to find an easy solution.
Losing Butler, 2nd CB has become a musical chair.
Rowe, McCourty, Jackson, Jones, no one able to step up on those receivers.
If not that, the linebackers are too slow.
Consistently on check-downs, a mile away from the ball.
If they try to counter with speed, their front 7 get blown off the ball.
This is the by-product of building your team on guys who have specialized "roles" versus quality players.
Too many RB's who can run but not catch, or catch but not run.
You have a WR like Patterson who cannot route run or a TE like Allen who can block but not catch.
You have a DE like Wise who can go after the QB but can't set an edge or LB's like Roberts who can only play the run.
Your top safety is a guy whose value is setting a defense and playing a mile off the ball.
Your other two safeties are one guy who can also play a mile off the ball or one who is more of a hybrid-LB.
All are fine in those roles, but exposed if needed to play a bigger part of the game.
And eventually, you get burned because you end up one or two guys short on either side of the ball, need more from these guys, and they can't give it to you.
That makes a move for someone like Josh Gordon even more important, if he can come and be explosive, that's going to open up the offense for Gronk and Edelman.
If you double-team two of them, one is one-on-one and that's the matchup Brady takes.
I don't think there is any saving the defense.
I think we are back to a time where you are hoping the offense can control the game, and the defense can hold opponents to FG's, and you beat opponents 41-26 or 35-24.
That traditionally has not won Super Bowls, and while a extremely high threshold, the kind that Pats fans should use as their barometer.
They'll still probably finish 11-5/12-4, but things need to improve dramatically to go where they want to go.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago There are too many holes on defense to be able to find an easy solution.
This is the by-product of building your team on guys who have specialized "roles" versus quality players.
You have a WR like Patterson who cannot route run or a TE like Allen who can block but not catch.
You have a DE like Wise who can go after the QB but can't set an edge or LB's like Roberts who can only play the run.
Your top safety is a guy whose value is setting a defense and playing a mile off the ball.
Your other two safeties are one guy who can also play a mile off the ball or one who is more of a hybrid-LB.

All are fine in those roles, but exposed if needed to play a bigger part of the game.
And eventually, you get burned because you end up one or two guys short on either side of the ball, need more from these guys, and they can't give it to you.
That makes a move for someone like Josh Gordon even more important, if he can come and be explosive, that's going to open up the offense for Gronk and Edelman.
If you double-team two of them, one is one-on-one and that's the matchup Brady takes.
I think we are back to a time where you are hoping the offense can control the game, and the defense can hold opponents to FG's, and you beat opponents 41-26 or 35-24.
That traditionally has not won Super Bowls, and while a extremely high threshold, the kind that Pats fans should use as their barometer.
They'll still probably finish 11-5/12-4, but things need to improve dramatically to go where they want to go.

I agree with everything except the predicted finish of 11-5 or 12-4. I think it's going to be worse. These aren't the Pats.that we've become so.used to seeing.
It always comes down to talent. They've gotten away with making free agents and late round draft picks productive for a long time. Their early round picks, when they've had and used them, have been terrible.
I can see the offense improving, but, not the defense. You can't get blood from a stone. The talent just isn't there to improve very much.
I also think the off-field issues are worse than is even being reported. Giving away Garappolo, sitting out Butler and contract negotiations are wearing on the team. It seems that the players who produce are ignored and let go, while lesser players are rewarded.
I know they weren't going to match the contracts of Lewis, Amendola and Solder. But, It doesn't appear that they even wanted them. It's very possible, if they they showed some of them some love.before they reached free agency that some they may still be here. I know Amendola wanted to stay here. BB made him take pay cuts every year. All he did was produce. It looked like BB had a plan to replace them, but he didn't.
How would this.team look if Brady held out for his worth? Future qb's are going to want to get paid.

Last night's game was as bad it it gets. And, it was so predictable. How do you show up with only three receivers? Add to that the fact that two of them are lucky to be on the team. It's ridiculous. Brady looks so frustrated when he drops.back and has to throw the ball away because no one can get open. He's got to be thinking "Where are we we spending money?"
I only see things getting worse.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramfan85 wrote: 5 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago There are too many holes on defense to be able to find an easy solution.

I agree with everything except the predicted finish of 11-5 or 12-4. I think it's going to be worse. These aren't the Pats.that we've become so.used to seeing.
It always comes down to talent. They've gotten away with making free agents and late round draft picks productive for a long time. Their early round picks, when they've had and used them, have been terrible.
I can see the offense improving, but, not the defense. You can't get blood from a stone. The talent just isn't there to improve very much.
I also think the off-field issues are worse than is even being reported. Giving away Garappolo, sitting out Butler and contract negotiations are wearing on the team. It seems that the players who produce are ignored and let go, while lesser players are rewarded.
I know they weren't going to match the contracts of Lewis, Amendola and Solder. But, It doesn't appear that they even wanted them. It's very possible, if they they showed some of them some love.before they reached free agency that some they may still be here. I know Amendola wanted to stay here. BB made him take pay cuts every year. All he did was produce. It looked like BB had a plan to replace them, but he didn't.
How would this.team look if Brady held out for his worth? Future qb's are going to want to get paid.

Last night's game was as bad it it gets. And, it was so predictable. How do you show up with only three receivers? Add to that the fact that two of them are lucky to be on the team. It's ridiculous. Brady looks so frustrated when he drops.back and has to throw the ball away because no one can get open. He's got to be thinking "Where are we we spending money?"
I only see things getting worse.
Edelman coming back should slot everyone in better...
It should have been predictable how poorly the offense would be affected by Hogan drawing CB1 and Dorsett drawing CB2 with Gronk drawing the double teams.
Edelman is a quality weapon and so is a fully-sober Josh Gordon.
They should slide the other receivers down the depth chart to where they belong and to where they actually have the chance to consistently win matchups.
Patriots in the past have been able to outgun opponents with their offense and I still feel good enough now about that if Edelman is healthy and Gronk can stay healthy.
But do I think they win the Super Bowl with this roster? No way.
Can they get an AFC bye? I still believe that is certainly possible.
They started last year 2-2 and almost lost to Houston that would have made them 1-3.
In 2014 they started 2-2.
This is just the first time they've felt somewhat lifeless and I think that's more concerning than the record.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

GO TITANS!!!!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's becoming clear that this year's version of the Pats isn't as good as the past few...….

They will still win their horsebleep division, but to have any chance of making another SB, they have to be home thruout the playoffs, and that doesn't look likely anymore.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I'm torn between a life or death attitude about their performance because "omg guys it's the last years of Belichick and Brady!!!!", and a chill the eff out mentality because we've already gotten 5 SB rings and anything else is gravy. I'm probably more towards the RELAX side of things, more as a symptom of my general football fandom. No longer in any fantasy leagues, don't follow the league as a whole as closely. So really once the QB and coach are gone it will be fairly easy for me to cut way back on my consumption of the Pats.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago I'm torn between a life or death attitude about their performance because "omg guys it's the last years of Belichick and Brady!!!!", and a chill the eff out mentality because we've already gotten 5 SB rings and anything else is gravy. I'm probably more towards the RELAX side of things, more as a symptom of my general football fandom. No longer in any fantasy leagues, don't follow the league as a whole as closely. So really once the winning stops, it will be fairly easy for me to cut way back on my consumption of football.
"Fixed it for you. You're welcome", said the Giants fan.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

The Patriots just couldn't handle the Titans physicality.

We just did what most teams who beat the Patriots do.

We were able to get after Brady and keep him from picking us apart.

The Titans defense is ranked first in the league and if our offense gets going and you cant stop it...We're probably going to beat you.

I certainly wouldn't count the Patriots out. We just did what most teams do when you beat the Patriots.
Get after Brady, hit him, sack him, make him uncomfortable so he cant pick you apart.

As long and Bill and Tom are alive I wouldn't count the Pat's out though.

Last time you got your butts kicked you came back and won 6 in a row.

You'll be in the playoffs and have as good a chance as any to go back to the super bowl.

I think some Pat's fans have enjoyed so much success over the last 17 years that it's hard to understand anything other than being insanely good all the time.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago I'm torn between a life or death attitude about their performance because "omg guys it's the last years of Belichick and Brady!!!!", and a chill the eff out mentality because we've already gotten 5 SB rings and anything else is gravy. I'm probably more towards the RELAX side of things, more as a symptom of my general football fandom. No longer in any fantasy leagues, don't follow the league as a whole as closely. So really once the winning stops, it will be fairly easy for me to cut way back on my consumption of football.
"Fixed it for you. You're welcome", said the Giants fan.
Pretty much. Football was always my third sport behind basketball and baseball for both the personal experience (I played the other 2 sports growing up but not football), and the wretchedness of the local team circa 1980s. In the Kraft era the Pats made me realize how nice GREAT football can be to watch, but now I'm hitting the realization of the upcoming era; although I at least have confidence the Krafts won't let things hit rock bottom.

As a Giants fan you have had numerous flashes of it with Parcells and Coughlin coaching, unfortunately I don't yet see a path to the next sustained winning era for them especially since the next QB is such a huge part of this. Barkley can be part of it, but the shelf life of RBs is so short that team management needs to get the rest of the team lined up ASAP to take advantage of his peak years.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What. An. Epic. Fail.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That....was amazing. It seems like almost every other game ends with that play...'cept the guy gets tackled somewhere short of the goal line and game over.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Brady did not help the effort by being sacked near the goal line in the last seconds of the first half with no TO remaining. Expect that from a rookie QB, not the GOAT. Really had to throw it away and get three. Would have made the difference in that game if they had that FG. Patriots have nobody to blame for this loss but themselves. Missed FG, mental errors, and getting beat by big plays. Very un-Belichick like.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Brady did not help the effort by being sacked in the last seconds of the first half with no TO remaining. Expect that from a rookie QB, not the GOAT. Really had to throw it away and get three. Would have made the difference in that game if they had that FG. Patriots have nobody to blame for this loss but themselves. Missed FG, mental errors, and getting beat by big plays. Very un-Belichick like.
So true. He also overthrew a wide open Hogan in the end zone. Otherwise, he was pretty good.

There was so much wrong with that last play: Gronk in for a Hail Mary with a qb who can't throw 70 yards, defender playing the ball instead of the player and db's just giving up on the play.
I think home field is gone now.
I really didn't expect a SB this year, anyway.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think the Pats will still get a bye as the number 2 seed. If they're lucky, KC will lose their game before the conference title game and therefore give them home field again. That's of course if the Pats win their first game.

Otherwise yes no Supe for them this year. They have never made a SB without home field throughout.

Must be nice to play in a division that is so consistently shitty that the Pats have won it what 8-9 times in a row? And not likely to change for a while either.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago I think the Pats will still get a bye as the number 2 seed. If they're lucky, KC will lose their game before the conference title game and therefore give them home field again. That's of course if the Pats win their first game.

Otherwise yes no Supe for them this year. They have never made a SB without home field throughout.

Must be nice to play in a division that is so consistently shitty that the Pats have won it what 8-9 times in a row? And not likely to change for a while either.
Not true. Our first and third Super Bowl wins we went to Pittsburgh for the conference championship game, and that's off the top of my head, so I'm not sure about other seasons.

Also, the shitty division argument doesn't hold any water. The Patriots winning percentage is almost identical in division and out.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ok someone told me that about not making the SB without home field.....should have verified that.

However their division being shitty does matter. When do any of their division opponents win even 10 games in a season? Not very often.

Yes the Pats win just as often outside their division, but their competition within that division stinks.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pats are not firing on all cylinders that's for sure.

Steelers gave them plenty of chances to steal that game.....

They will be lucky to get a bye now.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So, it's playoff time and who ya got?

I will say this year is as wide open as I've ever seen it.

Any of the 12 could win it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Count your blessings if you are an Eagles fan. Very lucky.

Now that the 2 best defenses in the NFL are out of the running, this becomes a total crapshoot.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Brady probably couldn't believe his eyes when he saw the Chargers playing a soft zone D and not sending extra players up the middle.

What he got was a gift wrapped blowout.

The LA defensive coordinator should be fired. Talk about not learning lessons on how to make TB uncomfortable in the pocket.

To make things even stranger, the Pats played the defense the Chargers should have played.

They sent extra rushers up the middle all game and forced Rivers to get rid of the ball early.

When TB can get rid of the ball quickly he's still deadly. Even without a deep threat.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Amazing performance by Brady once again
What a game vs Kansas City
Two games on OT today doesn’t get much better than that
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

They hate us cause they ain't us. Brady's NINTH Super Bowl. It he's not the GOAT, tell me who is...
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Again baby!
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s so difficult to pick out individual plays but that catch by Gronk at the 4 yard line in the last minute of regulation was amazing
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Goat
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Brady is averaging a SB almost every two years. Think about that for a minute.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was such an amazing game

Go Pats !!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

2 Things:

Pats were fortunate the Chiefs went offside on the late pick that would have sealed the game.

And we all saw the ridiculous non call on the PI late in the Saints game.

They have to do something about shit like that. Maybe review PI calls in the last 2 minutes or whatever. Black eye for the game.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The roughing the passer was a helpful call as well. Exciting game, lots of offense late, love that.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

There was also clear PI on the Chiefs on a couple of Pats' passes....I guess calls go both ways.....
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I agree the roughing the passer call was very weak, but there was also a missed pass interference on KC on the same play, so they sort of offset. If they don't call the roughing the passer and do call the PI, no one complains.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There are so many borderline PI calls in every game, if they start to review them all the games will take 4 hours to play.

Where do you draw the line? Last 2 minutes? How many challenges allowed?

The best solution is to just auto review in the last 2 minutes like they do touchdown reviews.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago The roughing the passer was a helpful call as well. Exciting game, lots of offense late, love that.
I might be the only person in America who feels this way, but in the replay of Brady's face when the hand "hits" his face mask, Brady's head definitely jolts and it looks to me like contact is made. To me that is patently different than the play earlier in the game where Mahomes clearly is hit on the shoulder. So either contact was made or it was a nice sell job.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago There are so many borderline PI calls in every game, if they start to review them all the games will take 4 hours to play.

Where do you draw the line? Last 2 minutes? How many challenges allowed?

The best solution is to just auto review in the last 2 minutes like they do touchdown reviews.
I agree with this -- you could probably call PI (both offensive and defensive) on almost every play, just like you could almost always call offensive holding. Take Super Bowl 42, where Richard Seymour was choked by Shaun O'Hara on the Tyree catch. And that is not an exaggeration, as O'Hara in his own words has admitted to "squeezing his trachea as hard as I could and not letting go," as Eli breaks free and the rest is history. Is that now egregious enough to review? And if so, where do you draw the line on what's egregious versus what is judgement? To me, you can't just choose to review egregious PI's but nothing else. If you are saying that a PI could have had a material effect on the outcome, so too would a blatant hold to prevent a sack, an uncalled roughing the passer, forcible helmet-to-helmet contact, offensive PI via pick play, etc. Pass interference is maybe the most concerning penalty as it's the only one that does not have a designated yardage amount, but all penalties can be just as impactful.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PI penalties should also be limited to 15 yards, like it is in college. In the red zone half the distance to the goal.

40-50 yard penalties that are questionable are too penal.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago PI penalties should also be limited to 15 yards, like it is in college. In the red zone half the distance to the goal.

I mostly agree...although if it's really heinous the ability to tack on an unnecessary roughness (unless that's already a thing).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago PI penalties should also be limited to 15 yards, like it is in college. In the red zone half the distance to the goal.

You could also designate degrees of PI -- The questionable, someone just battling on a competitive play can be 15, the intentional tackle/grab/ can be spot of the foul. I for one like the spot foul, because defensive PI (and also holding) are penalties that can have a significant impact on the game. If it's only 15 yards and you know you have a good chance of being burned on a double move, just mug the guy. For the same reason I wish defensive holding was more punitive. If you are getting beat, just grab that jersey. In most cases, it's only a five yard penalty, better than giving up the TD or big play. I personally hate the college rules because of that. Some guys don't even turn on deep balls, if they are beat, they are just going to try to plow through you and only give up 15 versus 45+.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well here they are again.....the Patriots experience in these games will probably be the difference....the Rams are just as talented imo, but they are more likely to make the key mistake that will be the difference....the only way I see them winning is by more than one score....you know who will win it if it's close in the 4th quarter.

Of course I said that last year and the Eagles won....
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

2 things about today's game.

If the Pats win, it's because they establish the run early and take the heat off Brady.

If the Rams win, it's because they play aggressive press defense and take the Pats receivers out of their routes. Sit back in a zone and the game will be over by halftime, like the Chargers game.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What a freeeking snooze-fest....
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

How many people thought Pat's defense would win a super bowl?? Great job.. they were the true mvp.. nothing against Edelman.🏆🏈.. congrats pats from Cumberland home of Lombardi trophy
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Unbelievable. Number Six.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Not a good look Rhody students .... https://www.wpri.com/sports/new-england ... 1752490729
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Not a good look Rhody students .... https://www.wpri.com/sports/new-england ... 1752490729

Especially after that game...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago Not a good look Rhody students .... https://www.wpri.com/sports/new-england ... 1752490729
.......nope not good, be classy and act like you have been there before......cause you have multiple times........
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

PC and URI students were all acting like idiots last night. College kids, pretty typical for any school. GO PATS
0 x
GO RAMS