Pawsox Sold, Moving to Worcester

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it

What do you think of the Pawsox sale?

It's bad, and I wish they would stay in Pawtucket.
55%
I'm in favor of the team moving to Providence.
27%
I'd prefer that the team move to Massachusetts.
7%
I don't care.
11%

Total votes: 56

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Pawsox Sold, Moving to Worcester

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What the hell would Pawtucket do if the Pawsox were still there? Its a shame to see that stadium go away.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago What the hell would Pawtucket do if the Pawsox were still there? Its a shame to see that stadium go away.
The Pawsox, had they stayed in RI, would still have been moving out of McCoy to a new stadium. The site would have been available either way.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Things aren't too rosy in Worcester:

After this week we have lost these Bars and restaurants since the ball park and the city has revamped the a black stone district
Union Tavern/pregamers
Bucks
Smoke stack
Hangover
Compass
Smoke stack
Maddi
Rock bar.
Banner is for sale
So with all that happening tell me how great it is to have the Ball park?
The city has taken more then 95% of the parking away from the area with meters and no parking sign on all the side streets now. Any parking that left is taken up early by the ball games so you have no where to go after work because there no parking left that’s not a mile away for the local bars.
There no turning this around it’s just a  rhetorical rant but remember this next time when the city has a “great idea”. Don’t think it in the best interest of the people around it.

That's from the Worcester Eats Facebook group
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

what?? another city/tax payers are being fleeced and lied to by politicians and millionaire owners for their own gain??

say it aint so.
2 x
:lol:
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Things aren't too rosy in Worcester:

After this week we have lost these Bars and restaurants since the ball park and the city has revamped the a black stone district
Union Tavern/pregamers
Bucks
Smoke stack
Hangover
Compass
Smoke stack
Maddi
Rock bar.
Banner is for sale
So with all that happening tell me how great it is to have the Ball park?
The city has taken more then 95% of the parking away from the area with meters and no parking sign on all the side streets now. Any parking that left is taken up early by the ball games so you have no where to go after work because there no parking left that’s not a mile away for the local bars.
There no turning this around it’s just a  rhetorical rant but remember this next time when the city has a “great idea”. Don’t think it in the best interest of the people around it.

That's from the Worcester Eats Facebook group

Five of these closings were announced in just the last few weeks. The Worcester Telegram & Gazette has been tracking this and has an article today on the matter. Here are some key points:

“We just don’t feel the location is what it once was,” said Romaine (Smokestack Urban Barbecue owner), who said that factors varied, but did not elaborate further.

Polar Park mixed blessing
Since the stadium first opened May 11, 2021, nearly 1 million fans have gotten a chance to cheer on the WooSox throughout the team’s two seasons. As exciting as that is, surrounding businesses have been both sweet and sour about it. Some say that the area around the ballpark becomes quiet during games. Others have said that after the games, bars see plenty of business, while restaurants offer nothing new to already-fed fans.

Limited parking subtracts business
Despite all the availability, establishments around the park have said that the parking situation has taken away business with drivers filling the spots but leaving behind only the alarm signal of a locked car as they walk toward the stadium.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago what?? another city/tax payers are being fleeced and lied to by politicians and millionaire owners for their own gain??

say it aint so.
It's almost like Worcester is not some magical city that is immune from the concerns of every other ballpark project ever! Who'd have thunk it?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

City targeting early 2023 for McCoy demo, planning parting event
https://www.valleybreeze.com/archives/c ... 66bc0.html
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago City targeting early 2023 for McCoy demo, planning parting event
https://www.valleybreeze.com/archives/c ... 66bc0.html
i'm all for a proper send off before the wrecking ball does its thing, however I do not want to see anyone associated with the woo sox present.

they took their team and left, good riddance. they're not welcome back in any way, shape, or form.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

More Worcester problems:

"In the case of Worcester, a special taxation district around Polar Park was anticipated to generate $2 million in fiscal 2022, but instead generated only $655,374. The city ended up making its $3.9-million annual payment after selling a parcel of land near the ballpark for $3 million, while also providing partial funding for a fiscal 2023 $2.7 million payment."

Later in the article city officials claim that two new projects will "so totally change the dynamics of this project! You can trust us this time!"

https://ballparkdigest.com/2022/12/22/w ... park-debt/
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago More Worcester problems:

"In the case of Worcester, a special taxation district around Polar Park was anticipated to generate $2 million in fiscal 2022, but instead generated only $655,374. The city ended up making its $3.9-million annual payment after selling a parcel of land near the ballpark for $3 million, while also providing partial funding for a fiscal 2023 $2.7 million payment."

Later in the article city officials claim that two new projects will "so totally change the dynamics of this project! You can trust us this time!"

https://ballparkdigest.com/2022/12/22/w ... park-debt/
That is not what the article says so not sure why you put it in quotes.

Later in the article......

Yet, City officials like Batista and Chief Development Officer Peter Dunn remain confident in the pay-for-itself plan because the Madison buildings have been bolstered by two other proposals from separate developers: The Cove, a seven-story apartment-and-retail tower from Worcester developer Churchill James LLC; and a 400-unit housing complex called Table Talk Lofts from Boston Capital Development LLC, on the former site of the Table Talk Pies manufacturing facility.

By adding those developments into the projected revenue plan, Dunn said the city’s assessor and chief financial officer have determined the ballpark district will generate more revenue than is needed over the 30 years to cover the stadium debts, even using conservative estimates.

Dunn didn’t provide those calculations or the figures showing the 30-year revenue generation estimates to WBJ.

Some firm calculations would be good, of course. And the ballpark haters are going to take an opportunity to take potshots at development despite not being able to tell the difference between a TIF district and a hole in the wall. There are some worst-case scenarios in terms of future debt service that includes money coming from the city’s general fund or increased taxes, but things are not at that point yet. But undoubtedly there will need to be some creative thinking to service debt until the new development is online–and we’ll see whether the ballpark will indeed pay for itself.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I put it in quotes because it's a joke, though a joke that has significant truth to it. I figured I wouldn't even need the quotes since it was pretty clear what I was doing, but I guess good job good effort in comprehension there ramster. Also, I know what a TIF district is. In fact I proposed URI lobby for the town of Kingston, including the Emporium businesses, become one to fund our athletic facility projects
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Canal District was already experiencing organic self made growth before Polar Park. It would be incorrect to attribute ALL new growth and any tax revenue increase to the park. What is clear at the moment is the district is not generating enough new tax revenue to meet the bond payments. This is the second consecutive year that the shortfall will be made up with the proceeds from the sale of land in the area. There will not be such available land for sale in the future. The bond payment schedule was created to be gradual with small payments in the early years and then dramatically increasing over time assuming the new development was then built and contributing new tax money. The projects in the ball park area have been delayed and many have been downsized as well. This creates a situation where the city will likely have problems once the bond payments start to balloon and there is no land to sell to make up the tax shortfalls.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The Canal District was already experiencing organic self made growth before Polar Park. It would be incorrect to attribute ALL new growth and any tax revenue increase to the park. What is clear at the moment is the district is not generating enough new tax revenue to meet the bond payments. This is the second consecutive year that the shortfall will be made up with the proceeds from the sale of land in the area. There will not be such available land for sale in the future. The bond payment schedule was created to be gradual with small payments in the early years and then dramatically increasing over time assuming the new development was then built and contributing new tax money. The projects in the ball park area have been delayed and many have been downsized as well. This creates a situation where the city will likely have problems once the bond payments start to balloon and there is no land to sell to make up the tax shortfalls.
True. But don't you need to add Covid into the equation? And the rapid inflation that has taken place related to the Covid debacle? Wouldn't some of the same things you talk about have been experienced in Rhode Island had our Politicians gotten together and prevented the exit of the PawSox from happening?
You and a couple others continue to sound like Rhode Island made a great, wise decision to let the PawSox go and that Worcester made a bad decision to take on the PawSox. Am I understanding your position correctly?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago I put it in quotes because it's a joke, though a joke that has significant truth to it. I figured I wouldn't even need the quotes since it was pretty clear what I was doing, but I guess good job good effort in comprehension there ramster. Also, I know what a TIF district is. In fact I proposed URI lobby for the town of Kingston, including the Emporium businesses, become one to fund our athletic facility projects
I interpret quotes as coming directly from the article. So I missed the joke. Had you not used quotes I probably would have gotten it.

I know many people from Worcester. People who grew up there. They all have asked me why in the world did Rhode Island let the Pawtucket Red Sox get away?
They love having the Red Sox AAA Team there. Not one of them regrets the decision.

I'm more along the line of Bob Ryan from this article back in 2018 when Bob Ryan said "It's a sad, sad day. Trust me on this."

Howard: Are you for it or against it?

Ryan: I'm against it. There’s no real reason for this to leave Pawtucket on the basis of support, and also a lack of understanding as to what the charm of that ballpark is. And I don't wish any ill will in Worcester — good for Worcester. But this is not a good day for baseball, it is not a good day for Pawtucket. It's a sad, sad day. Trust me on this.

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news/20 ... -worcester
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The Canal District was already experiencing organic self made growth before Polar Park. It would be incorrect to attribute ALL new growth and any tax revenue increase to the park. What is clear at the moment is the district is not generating enough new tax revenue to meet the bond payments. This is the second consecutive year that the shortfall will be made up with the proceeds from the sale of land in the area. There will not be such available land for sale in the future. The bond payment schedule was created to be gradual with small payments in the early years and then dramatically increasing over time assuming the new development was then built and contributing new tax money. The projects in the ball park area have been delayed and many have been downsized as well. This creates a situation where the city will likely have problems once the bond payments start to balloon and there is no land to sell to make up the tax shortfalls.
True. But don't you need to add Covid into the equation? And the rapid inflation that has taken place related to the Covid debacle? Wouldn't some of the same things you talk about have been experienced in Rhode Island had our Politicians gotten together and prevented the exit of the PawSox from happening?
You and a couple others continue to sound like Rhode Island made a great, wise decision to let the PawSox go and that Worcester made a bad decision to take on the PawSox. Am I understanding your position correctly?

Covid has affected everything in the last 2-3 years. You however can't use it as an excuse to the banks when you need to make payments on the bonds. RI would have had unforeseen issues with Covid and inflation as well. Just look at the Tidewater Landing soccer stadium in Pawtucket for proof of that.

I think RI politicians such as Nick Mattiello completely bungled things by not agreeing to the far lower cost initial stadium deal early on. That soured PawSox ownership on the state and gave Worcester the extra time to put together a much more lucrative deal. RI could have kept the team at a much lower cost if it had acted quickly and most would have been happy. It would however always never have been the same as the new Pawtucket stadium prices and catering to the corp crowd would have made for a much different atmosphere than the low cost family oriented McCoy experience model.

I grew up in Pawtucket not far from McCoy and went to college in Worcester and later worked several years nearby in Worcester County. I have ties to both cities. I never wanted the PawSox to leave Pawtucket and it still upsets me. I however do not think that RI and Pawtucket should ever have offered what Worcester did as it was far too generous in my view. I am upset that Worcester stole another team from a nearby city at the other end of the Blackstone Valley with such a hefty offer of public support. PawSox ownership is made up of wealthy men and did not deserve public welfare to the degree it got. I am pissed off that Worcester was willing to offer just about anything to get them to move. It further drives up the cost for all cities in the future to make minor league sports team owners happy. The last done deal becomes the next starting baseline. My anger toward Worcester and the WooSox is such that I will NEVER step foot in Polar Park EVER. I have been invited by friends several times and declined all offers and will always do so.

My thinking follows what most economists thought about Polar park and its financing - it will never pay for itself as Worcester politicians promised. The early returns seem to be bearing this out. I have no issue in Worcester getting burned by this deal and hope the WooSox eventually suffer financially for moving to a far smaller metro which has historically not adequately supported minor league (and college as well) sports. I openly admit that I am hoping both Worcester and the WooSox struggle.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Covid has affected everything in the last 2-3 years. You however can't use it as an excuse to the banks when you need to make payments on the bonds. RI would have had unforeseen issues with Covid and inflation as well. Just look at the Tidewater Landing soccer stadium in Pawtucket for proof of that.
Agree. You mentioned the projects now delayed or downsized in Worcester.

I think RI politicians such as Nick Mattiello completely bungled things by not agreeing to the far lower cost initial stadium deal early on. That soured PawSox ownership on the state and gave Worcester the extra time to put together a much more lucrative deal. RI could have kept the team at a much lower cost if it had acted quickly and most would have been happy. It would however always never have been the same as the new Pawtucket stadium prices and catering to the corp crowd would have made for a much different atmosphere than the low cost family oriented McCoy experience model.
Disagree. It was all Nick Mattiello with an assist from the Governor as the two were not talking to one another at all at during the time period

from Mark Patinkin attachment below...
The ultimate irony is that taxpayers may end up being more burned than protected by Mattiello’s killing of the PawSox.
First of all, here was a chance to leverage an $83-million stadium with a $23-million state taxpayer investment — almost precisely what was just spent on the new Providence pedestrian bridge. So $45 million in outside investment, gone.
Plus, we’d have gotten more than a stadium, because the owners pledged 50,000 square feet of development around the new Pawtucket park.
Mattiello threw all that away.
And another irony. If Pawtucket does field a Single-A team to replace the PawSox, the state will have to spend — yes, same amount — $20 million-plus to rehab McCoy.
That means your speaker and House reps had a choice between a new Triple-A stadium or a rehabbed Single-A McCoy, both for the same state taxpayer investment, and imbecilically picked the second.

I grew up in Pawtucket not far from McCoy and went to college in Worcester and later worked several years nearby in Worcester County. I have ties to both cities. I never wanted the PawSox to leave Pawtucket and it still upsets me. I however do not think that RI and Pawtucket should ever have offered what Worcester did as it was far too generous in my view. I am upset that Worcester stole another team from a nearby city at the other end of the Blackstone Valley with such a hefty offer of public support. PawSox ownership is made up of wealthy men and did not deserve public welfare to the degree it got. I am pissed off that Worcester was willing to offer just about anything to get them to move. It further drives up the cost for all cities in the future to make minor league sports team owners happy. The last done deal becomes the next starting baseline. My anger toward Worcester and the WooSox is such that I will NEVER step foot in Polar Park EVER. I have been invited by friends several times and declined all offers and will always do so.

My thinking follows what most economists thought about Polar park and its financing - it will never pay for itself as Worcester politicians promised. The early returns seem to be bearing this out. I have no issue in Worcester getting burned by this deal and hope the WooSox eventually suffer financially for moving to a far smaller metro which has historically not adequately supported minor league (and college as well) sports. I openly admit that I am hoping both Worcester and the WooSox struggle.
Disagree.
Excerpt from Mark Patinkin article attached below

It’s a reminder for me of who killed a 50-year Rhode Island treasure.
More than anyone else, one man.
House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello.

Don’t believe those who say the team left because Worcester coughed up more for the stadium.
They did, but the mostly Rhode Island PawSox ownership was willing to take our cheaper offer, shouldering perhaps $20 million extra to keep the team in its ancestral home.

I share your level of anger but not towards Worcester like you do. Worcester should have never even been in the conversation. The odds of Worcester ending up with the PawSox was astronomical. Like the chances of the Patriots beating the Falcons in the Super Bowl in the 3rd Quarter when the oddsmakers had it a 99.6% Chance of a Falcons win.

It was 100% Mattiello (not other RI Politicians which makes it sound like Mattiello is partially off the hook). Mattiello coincidentally got voted out of office.

These articles provide the details back in 2018 and a look back in 2020. I do not see where there was a "better deal" that you describe.

https://www.patriotledger.com/story/spo ... /42668225/

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 238921007/
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My use of "better" deal was in regards to the RI public as there was far less taxpayer money being offered for the proposed stadium in Pawtucket.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It seems there are some questions about the actual attendance numbers at WooSox games

What are the real attendance numbers at Polar Park in Worcester (05/04/2023)

https://www.telegram.com/story/news/loc ... 174981007/
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Could Polar Park add $40M-$60M to city's deficit? New report says yes.

Unread post by RF1 »

Could Polar Park add $40M-$60M to city's deficit? New report says yes. (05/11/2023)
https://www.telegram.com/story/news/loc ... 205206007/
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Here is another non paywall source about the study on revenue projection shortfalls

New study calls WooSox stadium a bad deal for Worcester
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/econom ... worcester/
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 11 months ago It seems there are some questions about the actual attendance numbers at WooSox games

https://www.telegram.com/story/news/loc ... 174981007/
Dude, careful. There are attendance police on this board that will tell you that, how you look at attendance is stupid, and it's clear as day how you 'should' look at it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 11 months ago Here is another non paywall source about the study on revenue projection shortfalls

New study calls WooSox stadium a bad deal for Worcester
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/econom ... worcester/
I for one am shocked, SHOCKED, that a publicly financed stadium for a private enterprise isn't working out nearly as well as the private enterprise promised it would
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

A brief history of McCoy and what it looks like now. What an absolute shame

0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 11 months ago A brief history of McCoy and what it looks like now. What an absolute shame

what a disgrace. Fuck Larry Lucchino.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And Nick Mattielo
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Last event at McCoy will be July 3rd, with more details to follow next week

https://www.abc6.com/public-invited-to- ... m-sendoff/
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Too little, too late. My final memory of McCoy will forever be sitting in ridiculous traffic waiting for covid tests knowing I'll never see a game there again. Driving around the back of the building and seeing the murals of Sox greats.

I sure hope no one from the WooSox is invited.

#FuckLarryLucchino
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Several pieces about McCoy Stadium as its end approaches:

Fireworks, food, and a farewell to McCoy
https://www.valleybreeze.com/lifestyle/ ... f9600.html

McCoy's Final Inning planned; stadium memorabilia to be sold
https://www.valleybreeze.com/news/mccoy ... cffdd.html

Memories of McCoy
https://www.valleybreeze.com/townnews/b ... 88fc7.html
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

How are the woosox doing with attendance this summer?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Baseball Reference says about 6272 per game. They averaged 7638 fans through their first 22 home games last year. Seems the new park smell is already wearing off
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago Baseball Reference says about 6272 per game. They averaged 7638 fans through their first 22 home games last year. Seems the new park smell is already wearing off

My friends went to a week-night Polar Park game in late June. They know enough not to ask me to come along as my feelings about the move are well known. They however posted a photo of them while at the game to Facebook. Plenty of empty seats all around them while the game was in progress (reported paid attendance of 6,876). It was a beautiful weather night and many local school systems were already done for the year thus providing the perfect conditions for high attendance. I spoke with them after the game and they commented that the crowd was smaller than previous visits and they in fact attributed it to the "newness" wearing off.
Last edited by RF1 6 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... -nletter01

Stefan Soloviev saw McCoy for the first time last week and now wants to buy the stadium and land and bring in a AA, A, or Independent team. Pawtucket's mayor is saying it is impossible because the school design for that site is in phase 2
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... -nletter01

Stefan Soloviev saw McCoy for the first time last week and now wants to buy the stadium and land and bring in a AA, A, or Independent team. Pawtucket's mayor is saying it is impossible because the school design for that site is in phase 2
Getting another MLB affiliated team at McCoy had a much better chance a few years ago when Mike Tamburro (Ben Mondor's right hand man) made a bid. Tamburro is a part owner of the WooSox and it is thought he had their needed territorial approval. This proposal however pretty much died when MLB contracted its A, AA, and AAA lineup of teams eliminating several. Lowell's LeLacheur park, built just 20 some years ago (1998) is a prime example of what contraction wreaked as it sits empty most of the summer as the city lost its Single A Lowell Spinners team. The 5k capacity ballpark is now owned by UMass-Lowell as is also the case with the nearby Tsongas Arena. Both venues were once municipally owned but sold for little to the school as the city didn't have the funds to continue to operate and upgrade them after each lost its minor league sports tenant.
Last edited by RF1 9 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Too little, too late.

Even if there was a place to play (new or used) and it was 100% privately funded, the current MiLB/MLB terms prohibit RI from having an affiliated team at any level.

Affiliated baseball in RI is dead so long as Worcester is around.

go support the Waves or Gulls.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Supposedly Lucchino wouldn't block a team in northern RI, but I think he would, he just figured he'd never get called on it. Anywhere other than Providence County I'm not sure the Worcester (or Hartford) could block it, it might be outside their area of control
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The Solovievs are meeting with Mayor Grebien this morning

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 431663007/
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Ain't going to happen. Affiliated minor league baseball in RI is dead.

let's just say he does buy McCoy, rehabs it, makes it nice, sparkly and newish. then what? he going to buy an affiliated minor league franchise and relocate it? 1, good luck getting uncle Larry to approve that. 2, good luck finding an existing MiLB franchise ownerships to break their current stadium lease to relocate and/or buying a team to relocate it. 3, even if he buys a team, see #1.

he's not going to be able to just make up a team, call McCoy home, chalk some lines and go play.

this will never be a one time expense for him as he says in the article. even if he's just the landlord and has a separate ownership group lease the land/stadium, there will be up keep over the years. most definitely not a one time deal.

i truly appreciate his efforts with his deep pocket bravado but there really isn't anything to see here.

it sucks! it really sucks what became of McCoy and our beloved Pawsox, what those in state and out of state did to it. but it's time to just let it go.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

2023 season attendance numbers for the MLB affiliated minors have been released. The self reported figures for the Worcester Red Sox at Polar Park show little change from the prior 2022 season numbers. Overall attendance was down 519,661 versus 532,152 but that was due to three less home games. The reported average attendance slightly rose to 7,424 from the previous year's 7,290. Worcester once again finished fifth in AAA and 6th overall. All the teams ahead of them however saw significant attendance growth. It should also be noted that there was much discussion earlier this season regarding the attendance numbers that the WooSox were reporting. It was generally thought that actual attendance this season was noticeably less than reported paid attendance compared to the preceding year.

Thus far in three seasons at Polar Park, the WooSox have come no where near the attendance that was reported by the franchise during its peak at McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket. The team averaged over 9,000 six times in the period from 2001 to 2008.

WooSox drop slightly in total attendance rankings amid rainy 2023 season
www.wbjournal.com/article/woosox-drop-s ... 023-season
2023 Minor League Team Attendance Leaders.png

AAA Red Sox Attendance since 2000
Year | # Of Openings | Attendance | Average Attendance | Home | Principal Owner
2000 | 67 | 585,107 | 8,733 | Pawtucket | Ben Mondor
2001 | 70 | 647,928 | 9,256 | Pawtucket | Ben Mondor
2002 | 68 | 615,540 | 9,052 | Pawtucket | Ben Mondor
2003 | 67 | 550,157 | 8,211 | Pawtucket | Ben Mondor
2004 | 70 | 657,067 | 9,387 | Pawtucket | Ben Mondor
2005 | 72 | 688,421 | 9,561 | Pawtucket | Ben Mondor
2006 | 66 | 613,065 | 9,289 | Pawtucket | Ben Mondor
2007 | 69 | 611,379 | 8,861 | Pawtucket | Ben Mondor
2008 | 70 | 636,788 | 9,097 | Pawtucket | Ben Mondor
2009 | 70 | 625,561 | 8,937 | Pawtucket | Ben Mondor
2010 | 71 | 592,326 | 8,343 | Pawtucket | Ben Mondor
2011 | 70 | 578,930 | 8,270 | Pawtucket | Madeleine Mondor
2012 | 69 | 521,023 | 7,551 | Pawtucket | Madeleine Mondor
2013 | 69 | 540,034 | 7,827 | Pawtucket | Madeleine Mondor
2014 | 70 | 515,665 | 7,367 | Pawtucket | Madeleine Mondor
2015 | 71 | 466,600 | 6,572 | Pawtucket | Larry Lucchino
2016 | 67 | 407,097 | 6,076 | Pawtucket | Larry Lucchino
2017 | 64 | 409,960 | 6,406 | Pawtucket | Larry Lucchino
2018 | 66 | 394,811 | 5,982 | Pawtucket | Larry Lucchino
2019 | 63 | 331,010 | 5,254 | Pawtucket | Larry Lucchino
2020 | --- | --- | --- | Pawtucket | Larry Lucchino
2021 | 59 | 362,559 | 6,145 | Worcester | Larry Lucchino
2022 | 73 | 532,152 | 7,290 | Worcester | Larry Lucchino
2023 | 70 | 519,651 | 7,424 | Worcester | Larry Lucchino
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would seem to me that WooSox attendance may have reached its peak and possibly plateaued at a level nearly 2k less than its best years in Pawtucket. Typically a new ballpark experiences its best attendance in the immediate years after its opening. Covid impacted Year 1 at Polar Park so that is not a great barometer. The fact that attendance was basically the same in years two and three however provide a better measuring stick. While the per game average did see a slight uptick in 2023, it has to be troubling to WooSox ownership that there apparently were a lot more paid tickets with no shows this past season. That is not a good sign for attendance growth. It will be interesting to see if this level of support can be continued going forward with the novelty of a new team and park fading. Many franchises sometimes see a noticeable decline after a few years. Will that happen in Worcester?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago It would seem to me that WooSox attendance may have reached its peak and possibly plateaued at a level nearly 2k less than its best years in Pawtucket. Typically a new ballpark experiences its best attendance in the immediate years after its opening. Covid impacted Year 1 at Polar Park so that is not a great barometer. The fact that attendance was basically the same in years two and three however provide a better measuring stick. While the per game average did see a slight uptick in 2023, it has to be troubling to WooSox ownership that there apparently were a lot more paid tickets with no shows this past season. That is not a good sign for attendance growth. It will be interesting to see if this level of support can be continued going forward with the novelty of a new team and park fading. Many franchises sometimes see a noticeable decline after a few years. Will that happen in Worcester?
Depends on the weather, but probably not
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If the Boston Red Sox improve, so will the attendance in Worcester.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago It would seem to me that WooSox attendance may have reached its peak and possibly plateaued at a level nearly 2k less than its best years in Pawtucket. Typically a new ballpark experiences its best attendance in the immediate years after its opening. Covid impacted Year 1 at Polar Park so that is not a great barometer. The fact that attendance was basically the same in years two and three however provide a better measuring stick. While the per game average did see a slight uptick in 2023, it has to be troubling to WooSox ownership that there apparently were a lot more paid tickets with no shows this past season. That is not a good sign for attendance growth. It will be interesting to see if this level of support can be continued going forward with the novelty of a new team and park fading. Many franchises sometimes see a noticeable decline after a few years. Will that happen in Worcester?
Where do you see "a lot more paid attendance with more no shows this past season?"
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I do believe that the record number of rainy days this year had an impact
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago Where do you see "a lot more paid attendance with more no shows this past season?"

There is a post above from early in this past season where the Worcester Telegram called out the attendance numbers that the team was reporting. The actual number of people at the games early in the season seemed to be far less than what was in the park for games.

https://www.telegram.com/story/news/loc ... 174981007/[*]

It is also interesting to note that the Worcester Red Sox have gone silent on publicizing their attendance numbers since they were called out earlier this year. The team was frequently giving attendance updates during the previous two seasons and within hours of the end of each season. The franchise has put out nothing for the full 2023 season. Other teams such as the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs proudly promoted their attendance (tops in the monors) even before all the numbers were made official by MLB last week.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Lucchino is a villain

Unread post by RF1 »

Larry was open to having the team located wherever he could get the most money. He was not really intent on keeping the team in RI. In my view, he is as much a villain in this as was Nicholas Mattiello. Both were only concerned with their own self interests.
Last edited by RF1 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Pawsox Sold, Moving to Worcester

RF1 wrote: 1 week ago Larry was open to having the team located wherever he could get the most money. He is no way was really intent on keeping the team in RI. In my view, he is as much a villain in this as was Nicholas Mattiello. Both were only concerned with their own self interests.
to revise the title....not a good look
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Larry Lucchino is a villain

Unread post by RF1 »

nm
0 x