Game #24: Massachusetts - Wednesday @ 7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Game #24: Massachusetts - Wednesday @ 7pm

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Next for the Rams is a battle vs rival UMass to maintain a share of first place in the Atlantic 10 at the Thomas M. Ryan Center, 7pm Wednesday. A near-capacity crowd is expected as the Minutemen take their 6 game winning streak into Kingston where Rhody is 10-1 this season, the only loss vs a fully manned Top-20 VCU squad.

Dan Hurley has never beaten (0-6) the Minutemen since arriving in Kingston.

While KenPom gives Rhody a 76% chance of winning and predicts a 67-61 victory, most would not feel comfortable with any such prognostication.

The game can be seen on SNY and on OSN for Cox subscribers. As always, Steve and Don will have the call on B101-FM.

TV options per GORHODY.COM:

TV: Atlantic 10 Network - Ed Cohen; John Griffin; Alexa Datt
Clearances: OSN (Cox ch. 5/1005 HD)/SNY/Comcast New England/Comcast Philadelphia

There appears to be a free streaming option via the A-10:
http://www.atlantic10.com/mediaPortal/p ... M_ID=31600
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #24: Massachusetts - Wednesday @ 7pm

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In a bit of good news, this week's midweek snowstorm should hit on Tuesday and not Wednesday. If that forecast holds into tomorrow I'll be able to make this one. Whoever wins this one should move into the first four out in Lunardi's bracket and right on the bubble down the stretch. On top of that the winner gets at least another half week in first place and inside track for a top 3 seed.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's like kind of a big game I guess.....ha ha

Where do I sign up for that score? 67-61 us, hmmm......

I actually dreamed we win, 67-59, so I'll guess I'll have to give UMass that extra 2 points.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody is still 16th in college basketball in defensive scoring at 58.7, but has given up 69 per contest in the three games it has played in the last week. Part of the problem is the foul trouble in those games, which has both a direct and indirect effect on opponent scoring. URI has averaged over 26 fouls per game in that stretch (a total of 11 fouls more than its opponent), leading to an average of 22 points from the line for opponents. That is the direct effect. Indirectly, the foul trouble has also led to increased time on the bench for some of its better players, particularly Jared Terrell, Hassan Martin and EC Matthews at various points.

URI also fought foul trouble the last time we played UMass, at least in the first half, particularly our bigs trying to deal with Cady Lalanne. Fortunately for URI, Maxie Esho (UMass's best player that day) also fought foul trouble and had to sit for stretches of the second half, although that advantage was diminished greatly by the surprisingly great play by freshman Zach Coleman in relief of Esho. (Unsurprisingly, Coleman has gone back to his usual scrub self, scoring a combined 15 points in seven games since his 13 point outburst against Rhody.)

Even putting aside the last three games, staying out of foul trouble against UMass will be critical. Because we give up so much size to Lalanne, that isn't an easy task. The foul trouble against UMass in Amherst led to our two biggest problems on that day: we sent Esho to the line repeatedly, where he scored 10 of his 18 points; and with our bigs spending so much time on the bench, we were badly out-rebounded on our own defensive end leading to multiple second- and third-chance opportunities for UMass.

Offensively, we pretty much are who we are, but I see two key areas where we could greatly enhance our chances to win the game. First, we could really use a good day from both Jared and EC, rather than the either/or trend we've seen throughout most of the season. If those two guys have good games on the same night, it takes considerable pressure off the rest of the team and modest contributions from Hassan, Gil, Jarvis, etc. would go that much further. Second, if we can limit turnovers and maybe even win the turnover battle, that would be huge. Last time out against UMass, we lost the turnover battle (by 5), the rebounding battle (by 5), and committed more fouls and made less free throws. And we still could have (and probably should have) won that game. Clean something up there and we undoubtedly would have. I already spent a lot of time talking about the significance of the foul count, but turnovers are another area that we have control over that could be the difference in the game.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good analysis TP.

The bottom line, we just don't want to end up where a bad or unfortunate bounce of the ball beats us at the end. Like the St. Joes game.

We never seem to have any luck against UMass late in close games.

It's our time for a close win. We're due. Way overdue, actually.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

UMass, late in the season, first place on the line...this is definitely an irrational fits of rage game for me all the way.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Every seat should be filled for this game. C'mon students!!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:Rhody is still 16th in college basketball in defensive scoring at 58.7, but has given up 69 per contest in the three games it has played in the last week. Part of the problem is the foul trouble in those games, which has both a direct and indirect effect on opponent scoring. URI has averaged over 26 fouls per game in that stretch (a total of 11 fouls more than its opponent), leading to an average of 22 points from the line for opponents. That is the direct effect. Indirectly, the foul trouble has also led to increased time on the bench for some of its better players, particularly Jared Terrell, Hassan Martin and EC Matthews at various points.
Fouls have definitely been a concern, but the last three games have been interesting for a few reasons. Three games in seven days, two on the road, are tough this time of the year. It seems like one day might not make a difference, but it can. In the wins against Richmond and Saint Louis, they gave up more points than usual but also scored above their conference average. The score in the loss was more on par with season averages.
0 x
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

After having such a lackluster crowd yesterday, it would be nice to have tons of students at the game. The more students the harder we can make it for the Minutemen. You already know us usually students (Myself, Keaney Blue Suit Man, and Flag Boy) will be there keeping the students motivated and loud as we usually do.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

gazakaza wrote:After having such a lackluster crowd yesterday, it would be nice to have tons of students at the game. The more students the harder we can make it for the Minutemen. You already know us usually students (Myself, Keaney Blue Suit Man, and Flag Boy) will be there keeping the students motivated and loud as we usually do.
You guys need to step it up. EZ should not have to keep reminding you that you are not in church.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We let bench sitter, Miles Reynolds, who averages 4.1 ppg.
get to the line FIFTEEN times!
We let Davell Roby, who averages 6.2 ppg to the line TEN times.
They were a combined 23-25!!!
This is unacceptable. It means we're fouling guys who aren't even
the opponent's main players.
Hurley called the last three games, "foul fests". Our reputation
as "unarmed combatants" is getting refs to call everything.
The defensive numbers are slipping because our best players are playing
less because of the foul trouble.
As for UMass, Dan learned a tough lesson about trying to play five guards.
Not happening Wednesday.
Mass also had some bench warmer look like Steph Curry, bombing
3 pointers to get the lead for the umASS.
Don't forget, Martin played only 23 minutes and Gil played 19 minutes.
Give Martin 30 minutes and it's a win.
A lot of things went in UMass' favor last time.
I don't see that happening Wednesday.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Every seat should be filled for this game. C'mon students!!!
Tickets to this game cost $5 more than other games. I would assume, and hope, that is because they know the demand will be there. If somehow that grab results in less tickets being sold it would be a disaster. Hope they know what they're doing.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:We let bench sitter, Miles Reynolds, who averages 4.1 ppg.
We have also developed the bad habit of fouling players in the backcourt. I know part of our identity is playing hard defense all over the court, but you have to be smart about it. Fouling guys 40 feet from the basket who are no threat to score is indefensible, IMO.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully Dan will have time to make some changes to the defense.

It's possible there has been more emphasis placed on offensive issues lately, and that hasn't helped.

That, and Ace's point about us being a little tired. However, we weren't as tired the first half you would think, and there were more fouls called then.

Probably just a combination of things. One thing I've noticed, is when the staff has more time to prepare for teams, good adjustments are almost always made.

Maybe the extra day will help. That is, if they can even practice at all today with the weather.

Spring can't get here soon enough.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree TP. I hope it isn't because they think UMass fans are going to make the trip.
I am hoping Dan goes on his PR campaign to the students the next few days. He works hard on getting students to show up. He did a great job for Nebraska game.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, we were not tired playing Richmond, coming off
and 8 day break.
We gave up the most points all season. Committed 31 fouls
and had 18 turnovers.
As TP said, stop fouling guys 50 feet from the basket.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The UMass game was designated a premium game before the season started, so I assume that it was done with an eye toward traveling UMass fans. Though I wonder how many will make the trip midweek.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR, they will usually bring a couple hundred, especially since this is a really big game for them too.

Hopefully they are buried up top somewhere.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

They're usually in the last 10 or so rows of 203.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Let's beat them!
Last time some asshole hicks were screaming in people's faces, leaving the game
at our place.
Bury these idiots!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm not saying it this time.......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We need a Nebraska type student turnout for this game. This game is really big. And they need some serious chants against the umass fans. This thing could get testy.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

UMass was very fortunate to beat us in their building last time we played, they had a bench player (Coleman) go off and make some dagger 3 point baskets in crucial situations in the game. I worry about how we match up with Esho and Lalanne with our aggressive foul filled defensive style. We need to keep Hass and Gil on the floor longer than 20 minutes to have success with their frontcourt. UMass is one of the worst perimeter teams in the A10 and mixing defenses on them would be nice to see (yes, i'm talking about some type of matchup zone).... You force them to make perimeter shots and you protect the frontcourt from unnecessary fouls 40 feet from the basket. I know we're not going to play zone, but one has to wonder why Dan is 0-6 vs very mediocre UMass teams the past few years.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Do not I repeat do not put the UMass fans behind their bench.......bury them in the nose bleeds!!

Really when are we gonna get this fixed and get the students back on the sideline behind the opposing bench ?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That is worth a few points at home, when our students are behind their bench.

We need as big a HC advantage as we can get. Most other teams do it, why not us?

In these close games, it can make a difference.

Does anybody think this Wednesday's game WON'T be close?

I would love to see us play well wire to wire, and win by daylight. Here's to hoping.....
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

There used to be an A 10 rule that the visiting team gets 40 seats behind their bench. I am pretty sure it is still in place. The cost of those tix probably result in younger fans and students being up in 203 or in the 300 level. I cannot think of a reason not to put students in the rest of the section behind the bench to make things a little more uncomfortable for the visitors. This would be a great question for Thorr.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I don't think I can deal with another loss to DUMBASS.....

Execute order 66
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch @BillKoch25
· 3h 3 hours ago
Strong rumblings online from UMass fans about Wednesday group trips to @TheRyanCenter. Will #URI enjoy a true home court advantage? #Rams
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

gazakaza wrote:After having such a lackluster crowd yesterday, it would be nice to have tons of students at the game. The more students the harder we can make it for the Minutemen. You already know us usually students (Myself, Keaney Blue Suit Man, and Flag Boy) will be there keeping the students motivated and loud as we usually do.
I could do without the student in that yellow thing. What was that all about?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rodfromcranston wrote:We let bench sitter, Miles Reynolds, who averages 4.1 ppg.
As for UMass, Dan learned a tough lesson about trying to play five guards.
Not happening Wednesday.
Mass also had some bench warmer look like Steph Curry, bombing
3 pointers to get the lead for the umASS.
Don't forget, Martin played only 23 minutes and Gil played 19 minutes.
Give Martin 30 minutes and it's a win.
A lot of things went in UMass' favor last time.
I don't see that happening Wednesday.
Gil said this is the game he injured his knee. Need good games from the bigs
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
I don't know, but the Keaney blue leisure suit guy needs to be elected to the student fan hall of fame for his attire alone. Also, the guy who leads the bleacher stomping does a good job. Did Ryan Center personnel yell at him about it? I saw some kind of conversation there but no idea what it was about.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It's getting into mid/late February and we have a 1st place showdown with UMASS.

It's early for these kids and the program blah blah blah ...

Make a critical turn this year and win the league or the league tourney. Get into the NCAA and there will be a buzz surrounding them considering their youth.

Huge game. UMASS is tied for 1st place with teams I dislike most, they can't change those standings.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This game should already be sold out. Six games left and a huge matchup for 1st place with rival umass. Is this being marketed?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Bill Koch @BillKoch25
· 3h 3 hours ago
Strong rumblings online from UMass fans about Wednesday group trips to @TheRyanCenter. Will #URI enjoy a true home court advantage? #Rams
Let them make the long ride back to Amherst disappointed.

UMass doesn't draw particularly well even at home (as an example-URI drew about 1000 more than UMass for its game yesterday against an A-10 cellar dwellar even though the storm was projected to be much worse in Kingston). While they will have some fans in Kingston, I wouldn't worry about them taking over the Ryan Center.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Taken from the two similarly dressed Vancouver Canucks fans that sit next to the opposing team bench?

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/ ... /1abcl2brj
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Am I over the top with this one?........this game is th biggest in a long long long with an opportunity to A). Beat UMass at home. B) continue to keep pace for the A-10 lead with creating some separation.....C) earn some additional national exposure.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Considering this is the latest in the season that Rhode Island has ever been in first place in the conference, it's a pretty big deal. To echo the words of the coach, playing in a regular season game of this significance is a great opportunity for the team.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote:Bill Koch @BillKoch25
· 3h 3 hours ago
NOT IN OUR HOUSE!!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I finally had someone not related, sitting next to me
yesterday.
I think he was a 20 something mannequin. One who stayed on his cell phone,
made some comments to his buddies, and never once cheered for
the team.
With this type of neuvo fan, who needs empty seats?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

A couple of Big Ifs to make this game an easy win. If Gil does not commit stupid fouls trying to steal the ball, and if Gil can get 10 shots, he will get the bigs in foul trouble and we win very easily. ESco has had 4 or 5 fouls in 11 of their 25 games.

There has been only one game this year in which Gil got more than 10 shots and that was against the big, talented Kansan team. He still scored 16.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I'm not saying it this time.......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Hey Rod.....I told you and Milan.....be careful what you wish for......
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We made Escho look like Kevin Durant in the last game.
He's not that good. Disappears in many games.
That game was from The Twilight Zone.

Ramulous, you were right. The empty chair made more noise
than this guy.
I've also had people sitting behind me talking business all night.
Why even come to a game, if so many things distract their attention?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rodfromcranston wrote:I finally had someone not related, sitting next to me
yesterday.
the team.
Who's in charge of ticket sales? This is the epitome of lack of respect- selling a seat next to Rod to a "mannequin" I would have thought that this was a premium seat with a substantial surcharge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You guys get it. That's the kinda shit that Rhody does. Fire up your twitter accounts and get this f-ing place rocking on wednesday!!!!!!!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:I finally had someone not related, sitting next to me
yesterday.
the team.
The worst is the 100-level seats that are only half full. Someone pointed out to me how bad that looks on TV, and I agree. And that is likely all big donors who want those seats for the two games they go to every year and let them sit empty the rest of the time because it is no skin off their back. If a season ticket holder's tickets are scanned less than 75% of games they should be bumped back the following year. Not that they would even know the difference.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Yeah there's a storm on the loose.......sirens in my head.....wrapped up in silence all circuits are dead........
cannot decode my whole life spins into a frenzy...help I'm stepping into the twilight zone.....place is a madhouse feels like being cloned.....

I hope Ryan turns into a Twilight Zone for UMass on Wednesday.....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thank you, Golden Earring.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

section(105) wrote:Am I over the top with this one?........this game is th biggest in a long long long with an opportunity to A). Beat UMass at home. B) continue to keep pace for the A-10 lead with creating some separation.....C) earn some additional national exposure.......
No you are spot on......

Staff didn't get how big the PC game is/was....I hope we get it on this one!

We only have 3 hate games a year and 2 of them are with these guys.....we don't get UConn anymore. That was some serious hate back in the day.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

And one other thing...... Our current "mascot" is a no show. And it reminds me of the epic fail of the last decade. Bring back our MASCOT!!!! I want to see Rhody sliding across center court again and going nuts!!!!!
0 x