Best Pre-Game Location?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Best Pre-Game Location?

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Driving up for Saturday's game, what bar has the best pre-game? Rhody Joe's or the Mews? Used to be Casey's.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Best Pre-Game Location?

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want just close-range good pub food you could even do Homestead on Route 2 in Exeter (just north of Wolfrock liquor store).
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Mews is the spot, although I went to Rhody Joe's before the GW game and it was decent.
0 x
Go Rhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I like the cozy atmosphere of the Homestead, myself.
Those people that own the place must love a good basketball
season.
They are always jammed before and after the games.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yep, Rod.

Also enjoy Rhody Joe's for a weekend afternoon tip.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Celestial Cafe on route 2, Exeter is a great pre-game stop. Excellent food, great selection of beers, and a bar full of Rhody fans. Great stop for the 40-50 year old fans.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Is that the old Corner Tavern? Been living in CT too long, lots of new places I don't know about or been to yet.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No, the Corner tavern closed, after so many years.
It's in the process of becoming a seafood restaurant.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Twin willows,coast guard house and chop house !!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Oh OK. A few weeks ago, I took a drive down memory lane, I mean Rt.1 from Warwick to Narragansett, and was impressed with the number of new bars along the route.

Some of the old standbys are gone, but many are still there, either the same name or a new one.

Didn't have time to stop, except for a couple at the Willows. That place is like a time warp, the guys that were in there were the same ones that were there 30 years ago.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

If you're looking for some good beer and a burger I'd go to the Mews.....
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steveystuds06 wrote:If you're looking for some good beer and a burger I'd go to the Mews.....
Yeah, of the places mentioned in this thread, the Mews has the biggest selection of beer, and while their new menu is pricier, I do think the food has improved. Celestial Cafe, I never think to go there because it would require me driving past URI, but they have excellent food (or at least, they did the one time I've been). Homestead is also good from a food and proximity perspective.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rathskeller is great. Mews is inconsistent.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Another place along Route 2 I like is Effie Filippou's Twisted Pizza in Exeter within the Oak Harbor Village plaza. Good subs and always several good craft beers on tap. I love the Mews but this is definitely a solid option if there is not enough time to go south of campus.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, this thread should be split into pre-game locations for those traveling South vs those already along the coast.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Agree Effie s Twisted on RT 2 is real good now and a nice atmosphere......have high hopes for Wicked Fish friend of my son just hired on as a staff member, should be open soon.

As for Wakefield Fat Belly's has a store in Wakefield good alternative to Mews. We now have Mo's and 5 Guys too! There's an Applebees off route 1 in South County Commons and trattoria romano south...

The cuisine options are just endless!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My wife and I have been going to the Two Ten Oyster Bar and Grill before games. It's on Pt. Judith Pond right off the Rt. 1 exit you'd take to go to South County Hospital. Nice place, good food and a decent bar. It's out of the way if you're coming from the north, of course, but if you're coming up from Westerly or Connecticut, it's on the way.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Exeter ram
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Exeter ram »

I also go to the Celestrial Café before and after,and the Homestead to watch away games.Both have very nice ownership.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Celestial has great food. All local ingredients-- farm to table.

Chophouse is one of my favorites, but they do not open until 4PM. If you go there, I HIGHLY recommend the Buffalo Chicken Tenders.

I really don't think you can ever go wrong with Mews. I'm not (nor will I ever) be a huge fan of Rhody Joe's. It's dingy with rude service. I miss when it used to be 108 House back when I was a kid.

Effie's has great food, and an "interesting" people watching spot.

Two Ten is definitely trying to make their name around here. Definitely a convenient spot.

Homestead has great sandwiches and fries. Just like Effie's, always interesting people watching.

Coast Guard House is always great, and if you haven't seen it since the post-Sandy renovations I highly recommend.

No one has mentioned Matunuk Oyster Bar yet. By far my favorite place in South County. Perry does a phenomenal job. If you go there definitely get the blackened tuna special if they have it that day. Just superb.

Lastly, looking forward to what Wicked Fish will have to offer.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 wrote:Agree Effie s Twisted on RT 2 is real good now and a nice atmosphere......have high hopes for Wicked Fish friend of my son just hired on as a staff member, should be open soon.

As for Wakefield Fat Belly's has a store in Wakefield good alternative to Mews. We now have Mo's and 5 Guys too! There's an Applebees off route 1 in South County Commons and trattoria romano south...

I would caution against the Wakefield Fat Belly's. The last time I went was in November or December. The beer was warm, the food was microwaved, and even though it was a Friday night, it was just us in the restaurant from about 8 p.m. to 10ish, when a play at CTC let out and the cast and crew from there popped out. However, their EG location - the only other one I've been to - has been good the 3 or 4 times I've visited.

EDIT: Also, to echo T-Swift's remarks, Two Ten (near Java Madness and right off Route 1) and the Matunuck Oyster Bar are a step above everything else we've mentioned when it comes to food. Same with the Chophouse. Really, really good food, but it's not much of a "step in and grab a beer" kind of place.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Mews has gotta be the go to spot that's relatively around campus. Love it there. I wonder if any students who live in Eastward go to Charlie O's before the games?
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote:Mews has gotta be the go to spot that's relatively around campus. Love it there. I wonder if any students who live in Eastward go to Charlie O's before the games?
I live about 5 minutes from Charlie O's, and it's a kind of odd crowd there now. Unless there is a popular sporting event, or it's a URI night (Thursday, Friday and Saturday after 9), it can be really empty. Also, they did a great job on renovating the upstairs space, and nooobbodddyyy ever uses it. My buddies and I will go there every couple of weeks and use the Charlie O's Lounge (as we call the upstairs), and at most, there has only ever been 10 people up there besides us. One night we left around 11 p.m., and we were the last people leaving, and meanwhile there was a line out the door for the downstairs.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't make it back as much as I'd like to anymore, but I was in the area for a week this past summer and was kind of disappointed in Charlie O's.

I will second the earlier recommendation on the Chophouse though. Not necessarily a "drop in and grab a bite" kinda place like someone else said, but I was really impressed with the place. Especially after a week of eating seafood for 6 straight days (by choice) it was really nice to get an awesome steak on our last night in town. Really nice place to, beyond just the food. I hope they do well there, it's something thats definitely needed in the area.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Agree Effie s Twisted on RT 2 is real good now and a nice atmosphere......have high hopes for Wicked Fish friend of my son just hired on as a staff member, should be open soon.

I would caution against the Wakefield Fat Belly's. The last time I went was in November or December. The beer was warm, the food was microwaved, and even though it was a Friday night, it was just us in the restaurant from about 8 p.m. to 10ish, when a play at CTC let out and the cast and crew from there popped out. However, their EG location - the only other one I've been to - has been good the 3 or 4 times I've visited.

EDIT: Also, to echo T-Swift's remarks, Two Ten (near Java Madness and right off Route 1) and the Matunuck Oyster Bar are a step above everything else we've mentioned when it comes to food. Same with the Chophouse. Really, really good food, but it's not much of a "step in and grab a beer" kind of place.
Done FB Wakefield about 5 times but always during a pretty busy period.....I have only ordered burghers and draft beer, my wife one time ordered a Steak sandwich otherwise burghers....always been excellent. Have been to Potowomut, EG and Warwick Mall locations too, consistent across the board.

Perhaps I have been lucky or SG was unlucky......I'll report back again after next visit (ironically went to FB EG last night!)

Haven't done Two Ten, on the must do list, M O B is awesome but would be tough timing for before a BB game? Kind of a place you spend your big bucks and savor.....

Good thread, even as a local this is giving me some ideas! Love dining out keep it coming!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I love Matunuck Oyster Bar, too, but thought it might have been too far for most folks for a pre-game meal. It's also nice to patronize a URI supporter, too.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

T-Swizzle will be interested to hear that I've heard that the Wicked Fish is also going to have an Irish Pub in it.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

URI96 wrote:T-Swizzle will be interested to hear that I've heard that the Wicked Fish is also going to have an Irish Pub in it.
According to The North East Independent about three weeks ago, yes, it will. ;)
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Where is the Wicked fish located?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Hal Kopp wrote:Where is the Wicked fish located?
Replacing Corner Tavern, same venue.....intersection Route 2/ 102 opposite Oatleys, just a couple hundred yards from Rolling Greens GC.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

OK,I know then old corner tavern,maybe on the way out if heading to EG or North. Never knew it to be URI place.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Fat Bellys is incredibly inconsistent. We've pretty much given up on it
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That was a place, we used to go after games, when I was a kid.
I was sorry to see it had closed.
The last time I was there, after going blueberry picking with my
granddaughter, we were the only people there during the dinner hour.
Sad.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

HK, same here. Never hung out there before or after games. Of course I lived in Wakefield anyway.

Back in my day, Iggy's on 108 was the place.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, used to go blueberry picking all the time growing up. Could sit or stand in one place and get two quarts in an hour quite often.

Then I used to sell them in the neighborhood, for a dollar a quart.

Those days are long gone. You go into the bushes now, you'll get Lyme disease for sure.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:Fat Bellys is incredibly inconsistent. We've pretty much given up on it
Yup! I've been to the one in Wakefield, Providence, Warwick Mall, and both in EG. I would never go under my own accord, and have only ended up going if I was meeting people there. Every time not only has the food and service been weak, but the overall experience. One step up from an Applebee's, IMO.

I do wish that Wakefield/Gansett had another sports bar-- kind of like how Casey's was 10-15 years. Maybe someone could take Poncho's over from the toilet that it is.

Also, where Quattro's was on Kingstown Road-- I can't remember what it was called after that... Cucina Twist?? It's been a shell for about two years now. No word on anything going in there, but I did hear a rumor about a year ago that Arturo Joe's was going to do something there.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rambone, Schartner Farm has seasonal picking of
blueberries and strawberries.
They give you a basket and charge by the pound.
The kids love it, and they get to see where the fruit is grown.
In the fall, they go apple picking in Western Cranston.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Didn't know they had blueberries. Used to go to Scituate to pick apples too.

My family used to pick bluberries in an area off Jerry Brown Farm rd. in SK, off of Rt.1 where the Whaley Farm stand is. We have a summer place closer to the water down there.

Those fields are long gone now, replaced with a huge housing development. Miss those days.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Rambone, Schartner Farm has seasonal picking of
blueberries and strawberries.
They give you a basket and charge by the pound.
The kids love it, and they get to see where the fruit is grown.
In the fall, they go apple picking in Western Cranston.

I loved my elementary school's yearly field trip to Schartner's to take a hay ride and pick out a pumpkin.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Did that a couple of years ago. Everyone had a great time.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Taylor Swift wrote: Also, where Quattro's was on Kingstown Road-- I can't remember what it was called after that... Cucina Twist?? It's been a shell for about two years now. No word on anything going in there, but I did hear a rumor about a year ago that Arturo Joe's was going to do something there.
Go by every day x4 for sale sign still up this morning - what a primo location for the right restaurant!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

hrstrat57 wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote: Also, where Quattro's was on Kingstown Road-- I can't remember what it was called after that... Cucina Twist?? It's been a shell for about two years now. No word on anything going in there, but I did hear a rumor about a year ago that Arturo Joe's was going to do something there.
Go by every day x4 for sale sign still up this morning - what a primo location for the right restaurant!
I go by there every day too, but I guess I missed the sign. lol

I agree, definitely a great location! Closest place to campus with a bar.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Hopefully they pave the parking lot there.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Speaking of Italian food... Anyone know what is going to go in where Italian Village was? Corner of Main Street and Columbia Street in Wakefield if you're not familiar. I actually remember going there for brunch a few times before the Homecoming game.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Italian Village is gone? Wow!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Taylor Swift wrote:Speaking of Italian food... Anyone know what is going to go in where Italian Village was? Corner of Main Street and Columbia Street in Wakefield if you're not familiar. I actually remember going there for brunch a few times before the Homecoming game.
I'm not sure if anything has been announced for there - I'm working from home today, so I don't have access to our internal story database right now. It was owned by Antonio Mollo, who also owned the roller rink in Narragansett and has a sales agreement in place for that to a developer, with it likely being turned into a Dave's, Aldi's or Trader Joe's.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

SGreenwell wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:Speaking of Italian food... Anyone know what is going to go in where Italian Village was? Corner of Main Street and Columbia Street in Wakefield if you're not familiar. I actually remember going there for brunch a few times before the Homecoming game.
I'm not sure if anything has been announced for there - I'm working from home today, so I don't have access to our internal story database right now. It was owned by Antonio Mollo, who also owned the roller rink in Narragansett and has a sales agreement in place for that to a developer, with it likely being turned into a Dave's, Aldi's or Trader Joe's.
I really hope it's a Trader Joe's, even though I love Dave's. Only down side is traffic on Point Judith Road on a Saturday/Sunday in June-August will be an absolute debacle-- I know he finagled some kind of deal to make sure that there was a good plan for an entrance/exit, but still. He should try to open it in the pier where the market has been an empty shell for 5+ years now.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Italian Village is going to be a seafood restaurant. They're renovating it now.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Taylor Swift wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:
I go by there every day too, but I guess I missed the sign. lol

I agree, definitely a great location! Closest place to campus with a bar.
I have a great plan for the former Iggy's/Cucina Twist but not the money! You take the dining room and build a long bar in there. Put high-top tables and lots of big-screen TVs. You make it THE place to watch the big game in South COunty. The Mews is not a good place to watch sports. You make it a lot like Haversham in Westerly.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

The Italian Village was an affordable spot for college kids when I was in school. So was Giro's. Did that reopen? Matunuck Oyster House is great for dinner. Never been pre-game. The old Rathskelar had amazing fries.
0 x