BubbleWatch and Top 25 Polls

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

BubbleWatch and Top 25 Polls

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody mentioned as a team that would likely be officially profiled in future weekly releases of BubbleWatch, but for now, they aren't even in the "Work left to do" category as we should all expect.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: ESPN BubbleWatch

Unread post by Blue Man »

Honestly if we even want to think about being a bubble team, 8-1 at a minimum is what we would need.

Need to win @richmond or @dayton, and can't afford to drop any others.

As much as I want to, I don't see that happening. 6-3 or 7-2 are definitely possible down the stretch, but neither of those make us an NCAA team. We don't have the marquee wins. We've avoided bad losses so far, but those top 50 wins have been elusive. Even the top 100 ones are scarce thanks to the tanking of previous opponents.

That said, I do think there is a chance that this team can win the tournament in Brooklyn. But most likely the only way we dance this year.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Beat Dayton, beat Davidson, run through the rest of the scrubs. Take care of Umass for once. Win the A10. VCU will lose more games.

We are on the verge of an A10 title. Seize February.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

After having read the "Burst My Bubble Watch." it seemed just a re-hash of season previews and where the Anointed Sports Programming Network's picks stand…..
Yeah, so the A-10 may get "more chatter," etc., etc., but if one even skims through the rest of the article, it's just nonsense all-the-way-around.
Those in the know are aware of URI.
Seems ESPN has lots of "Work left to do."
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY DAVIDSON IS A BUBBLE TEAM AND WE ARE NOT?
0 x
GO RAMS
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Rhodymob05 wrote:CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY DAVIDSON IS A BUBBLE TEAM AND WE ARE NOT?

Because their RPI is 47 and ours is 70
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I agree - URI's RPI isn't good enough to be mentioned in any sort of bubble conversation yet. There is still much work to do.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Have to beat Richmond, UMass, Davidson to get into the conversation.

No margin for error at all.

Then beat Dayton at Dayton.

That's a tall order. All of it, actually.

Might be able to afford 1 loss, meaning 8-1 before NY.

I think we go 6-3, 7-2 tops. We need everybody healthy to do even that.

I would be very happy to be an NIT team going into NY, with our only chance to Dance winning it.

The bye would mean having to win 3 games there. It will take a 13-5 record most likely to get it.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Seth is just reading stats and what he remembers, anyone who has watched us play the last month wouldn't be loving Matthews.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Seth has also said on multiple occasions that the A-10 will be a one-bid league this year. So there's that.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Really. EC has had a pretty mediocre season overall,
unless Davis only saw the PC game.
Guess t=with all the NBA hype from summer, people
not actually watching this team don't realize that
EC has, for the time being at least, been surpassed by Martin and Terrell.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Just win the next one baby.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

EC's had some really bad turnovers, a few at the worst times, but in the context of him having been hurt for the last month, it seems like he's getting more than his fair share of criticism. He's still the best shooting guard on this team. There are absolutely certain in-game situations where Martin or Terrell are better options, but Matthews is still averaging 16/4/2. I'm just excited that there's legitimate conversation to be had over who is the best player. The past two years, there wasn't too much room for that conversation, and the teams were not good.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's true Ace. Hopefully EC, with the 8 days between games, will be closer to 100% going forward.

Now, we need Jarvis to start knocking down shots more consistently, and we'll have another scoring threat.

Will just make us "harder to guard" like Rod has said.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

With each win everything gets better.
If we can beat Richmond, man we'll be in really solid shape. The good thing is we are getting better and we always play hard.
Starting to really see how our talent differentiates us from everyone else. We obviously more talented than GW. E.C's injury is the only thing holding us back. The Fordham game was rough, but other than that our players are making better decisions. Making more plays across the board. I wouldn't be that surprised if we win out. I think we won't lose anymore than three.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The road games are going to be especially tough. They are for everybody in this league.

Richmond, Dayton for sure. St. Joes is playing better, especially at home. We know how hard it is to win there.

Even LaSalle and GM. No easy games. I would sign for 3-2. Now.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I think this team is ready to roll and the week break will heal some boo boos......

I like our chances in every single game tho I of course assume good health and continued improvement.

Nice to be optimistic again!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Obviously, I think we will be in every single game the rest of the way. It is unreasonable to expect us to win out, or even go 8-1 or 7-2 for that matter. We start 4 freshman and sophomores. That is RIDICULOUS. The only other teams in the country doing that and having any success are Duke and Kentucky, and we know their FR and SO are on another level. Dan referenced it in the press conference, its significant what they have done already. It doesn't happen. I certainly dont remember a URI team with 1 upperclassmen in the starting lineup.

Now my two suggested improvements that the board champions for next year - bring back Old Rhody & move the students to courtside.
We will be the team to watch playing in the best environment for basketball in the area. It will be undeniable.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

The team has already pulled off 7-2 with 2 close losses...

Yes the 2 Frosh and 2 soph play significant roles..... So do a lot of guys that are beyond that.

Buy in.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Fully bought in SWG. The 4 FR and SO on this team dont play roles, they are the STARS of the team. The others play roles. We ebb and flow on the consistency of very young players, as a result I expect a few bumps left in the road.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Next few games are crucial for Rhody. Richmond is going to be tough. St. Joe's is going to be tough as well. St. Joe's isn't a great team, but they get most of their conference wins at home.
It's a good thing Terrell is starting to become more of a scoring threat. If E.C. starts to feel better by the Richmond game we have a real shot at winning the Richmond game. If he's a limited contributor on offense in that game (meaning 10 points or less), I think it's going to be very difficult for Rhody to win that game in Richmond.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Last year's Richmond game was probably our best performance of the 2013/14 season. Beat them by 23 and were up like 30 at one point. Everything clicked in that game, teams usually have 1-2 games a year like that. We haven't had that game yet, lets hope it shows up Saturday.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I watched the Richmond/VCU game - I think we match up well against Richmond. I'll take our D in that game for the win
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'm hoping we can win the league. At least that would be an automatic NIT bid. A big task, but, I think it's a possibility this year. Anything after that is gravy.
I getting tired of always cheering for our top teams to keep winning to improve their tournament status. Not this year. It's all about us first.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think IF we win the regular season, we go NCAA, with
any kind of showing in Brooklyn.
Lot of work ahead, though, before we can see the dream
become reality.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

That would be pretty good "gravy," wouldn't it?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It'll be interesting to see how the Weber injury really affects VCU. Do they hit a rough patch and join that second tier in the standings or keep on rolling and take the regular season title.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I know when Webber sat during our game, due to foul trouble,
they were a very different team.
When he came back towards the end of the game, it all
turned around for VCU. That and a load of three pointers from the top of the key.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:Obviously, I think we will be in every single game the rest of the way. It is unreasonable to expect us to win out, or even go 8-1 or 7-2 for that matter. We start 4 freshman and sophomores. That is RIDICULOUS. The only other teams in the country doing that and having any success are Duke and Kentucky, and we know their FR and SO are on another level. Dan referenced it in the press conference, its significant what they have done already. It doesn't happen. I certainly dont remember a URI team with 1 upperclassmen in the starting lineup.

Now my two suggested improvements that the board champions for next year - bring back Old Rhody & move the students to courtside.
We will be the team to watch playing in the best environment for basketball in the area. It will be undeniable.
Only time I can think of BAR, was back in 1974. Jack Kraft made big changes after the season started and put Freshmen Jiggy Williamson, Stan Wright and Randy Wilds in the starting line up. I think he even went with Vic Soares in the Starting Line up at times as well. Along with those guys he went with Mark Cizynski who was a Sophomore. Kraft also played Sophomores Carlton Smith and Nelson Lopes. It was a bold move by Kraft to go with a very young line up and they only won 5 games but the best was to come in the future. That was a nice recruiting class of Williamson, Wright, Wilds and Soares.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

rodfromcranston wrote:I think IF we win the regular season, we go NCAA, with
any kind of showing in Brooklyn.
Lot of work ahead, though, before we can see the dream
become reality.
Barring a Baronesque collapse this team is going to the NIT. 5-4 the rest of the way would put us at 20-9, then say win one game in Brooklyn and 21-10 will get in the NIT.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It's not as much a matter or final record but rather where the wins come from. Home losses must be avoided and road wins are going to be needed. Not all 21-10 outcomes are equal.

Then it depends on whether te teams we play in Brooklyn are good or bad. That's the other big variable. We want to add a game to our schedule against good teams. A win in Brooklyn vs a bad team could be worse than getting a loss to a top team.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

ESPN bubble watch was updated today, we still are not listed...win all 3 games next week and we would probably get listed but that is a tall order for a young team with one of its best players at less than 100% and having 2 of those games on the road....
0 x
Clapton is God
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How can ESPN and Yahoo we so different? ON the bubble in yahoo, not even in the last 8 out in ESPN. What?
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ESPN is realistic and Yahoo isn't? Also, they may be working differently. Yahoo may be looking to guess that Rhody could make a run and get to the bubble. But ESPN looks at how things are today. Right now, with a RPI in the mid-60s and predicted to be in the mid-70s at the end of A10 conf play (pre-Brooklyn), Rhody is not worth mentioning.

We win the next two road games and that changes, but we'd still have LOTS of work to do.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yahoo doesn't have $$$$$ invested in a few conferences. That part is obvious, look at the main personalities: Bilas, Jay Wil, and now Battier. Dick Vitale only does big games or games in Raleigh. The Network is ACC/BIG10 and then everybody else.

I like Seth though and I thought Bruce Pearl was good.

Our RPI isn't the best, IMHO I think the GTech loss is the worst. The rest can be explained away.

Still haven't been soundly beaten outside of Kansas.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Ramster. Kraft booted the seniors from the team. The young ones went someting like 7-20 that year but got a year of experience that helped in 77-78. Of course adding a stud in Sly helped, too. This group of underclassmen is getting results.
I think we are on the bubble of the bubble.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Carlton Smith was a junior & Nelson Lopes was a senior on that team. They went 5-20. Lopes & Bill Bird were the only seniors Kraft kept. He let go Randy Hughes, Jerry Minetti & Larry Levane. Hughes was a good player but in the way of Stan Wright's development. It all worked out by '78 when Jiggy, Stan, Randy & Percy DAvis were all seniors.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hughes and Joe Charles were our best players in Kraft's first year.
Pretty decent players.
Minetti was supposed to be the link to the great forwards we had,
Chubin, McGovern, Fultz, and Rowell.
He never looked in shape and didn't live up to the hype.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That team not only went 5-20, but started out 0-14. They had a lot of talent but were very young. Adding Sly two years later helped a little too...
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Was Rob Young around then?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Ramblinrose wrote:Was Rob Young around then?
On the Rowell teams, 71-73….
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The only thing I remember about Charles was he could only dribble with his right hand.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Wagssr
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Wagssr »

I believe John Nelson was on the 78 team that lost to Duke in the 32 team NCAA's. One of the best long range shooters in Rhody history - before the 3 pt shot was instituted.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unfortunately, he's remembered for the wide open 8 footer he missed in the last couple of seconds of that Duke game.

When he let that shot go, I was SO sure it was going in I was getting out of my seat to celebrate.

After the game, he was interviewed saying he was sure of it too. Tried to use the backboard [nobody does that now] and the ball hit the inside of the rim and spun out.

Never felt worse after that game, than any other game I've ever seen, before or since. Even the Elite 8 game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rammgr wrote:Carlton Smith was a junior & Nelson Lopes was a senior on that team. They went 5-20. Lopes & Bill Bird were the only seniors Kraft kept. He let go Randy Hughes, Jerry Minetti & Larry Levane. Hughes was a good player but in the way of Stan Wright's development. It all worked out by '78 when Jiggy, Stan, Randy & Percy DAvis were all seniors.
Rammgr and rose,
The point of my post was to go back in time to the last memory when URI was starting such a young team as per the BAR post earlier when Kraft made his big change in 1974.
I think that Minetti, Hughes and Levane were al Juniors at the time and I think they were all dismissed during the season.
As I mentined I remember all 4 freshmen in the game at the same time with Soares, Wilds, Williamson and Wright along with Cyzinski who was only a Sophomore. Correct that we only won 5 games but it was good for the development of the young guys.
It was only a year or two years earlier, maybe 1972, that fresmmen were even allowed to play varsity at all, prior to that there were freshmen teams that they had play on - no varsity allowed. For,example,Ernie Degregorio and Lew Alcindor played on freshmen teams.
So it was a big deal when Kraft made this move.
Randy Hughes could sky, pretty talented guy and Larry Levane was a good ball handler, good shooter and played PG. All 3 were starters but not only lost their starting position but left the team entirely.

I believe that Percy Davis and Willie Middlebrooks joined the team the following year or maybe later that year. Both were from Warwick vets high school and both played some period on the URI JV team. When Freshmen only teams were eliminated there were a couple of years the. That they had JV. Would have liked to have seen Middlebrooks play with the 3 point line.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Abu Bakr played along with Young in the early seventies.
As for the Nelson miss, after that game I took the longest shower of my life. Could not understand how we lost that game, knowing I could drive an hour and a half to Providence for the next one.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Minetti et al were seniors.
Levane stunk.
They didn't leave the team, they were kicked off the team.
Kraft have a few reasons for doing what he did.
Lots of bad habits from previous years.
Middlebrooks was an end of the bench player. Davis was a real
contributor.
Oh, and Ernie's last name is DiGregorio.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

In my freshman year, I played in pickup games in Tootell that Percy played in. He was a freshman too. He was good, but nothing special. He and Willie played on what was called sub-varsity back then. It was unbelievable how much Percy developed over the next couple of years. Let's just say I was no longer playing in pickup games against him. He could really get off the floor.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Neil, the play that stood out to me, was with 30 seconds or so to go, Percy was fouled just as he was making a pass that would have been a breakaway layup or dunk, that probably would have iced the game.

Then he misses the FT, one and one I think? Anyway, maybe my memory isn't perfect on this, but that to me was the killer.

Then of course, Duke scores to take the lead, and then we miss a shot, Nelson gets the rebound [right to him] and blows the shot.
0 x