Game #15: (17) Virginia Commonweath - Tuesday @ 7:30pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Game #15: (17) Virginia Commonweath - Tuesday @ 7:30pm

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

AP #17 Virginia Commonweath and their HAVOC brand of basketball will visit the Thomas M. Ryan Center in Kingston 7:30pm Tuesday in a game televised nationally on CBS Sports Network.

http://www.bbstate.com/games/2015-01-13/VCU-URI

This tweet pretty much explains it...

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Re: Game #15: (20) Virginia Commonweath - Tuesday @ 7:30pm

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Coach is using a seven man rotation in conference.
Our "crunch time" unit seems to be Martin and four guards.

Will VCU wear us down?

Top four minutes per game are Martin, Mathews, Terrell and Garrett in conference play.
All seven rotation players are scoring around 5 points or more per game.
As a team, the seven, are shootong 45% [54% on twos, and 25% on threes]

Why do we shoot 25% from three [D1 average 34%], against the three weak conference teams we just played?
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

It might just be a case of playing down to the competition. Thats a dangerous game to play but so far it's worked out. I guess we find out against VCU.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Hopefully that's the case. One thing for sure, Danny won't have to worry about getting team emotionally ready for game, unlike last couple of games. VCU very good team at the national level. Should be great atmosphere at the Ryan Center, one we haven't seen in a while. Would be a shame if this game doesn't sell out. National tv too, both teams undefeated, can't ask for a better set up. The couple times I have seen VCU, Smart used large rotation, I would say 8 or 9 players. Graham clearly one of the top players in the league. Melvin Johnson can really shoot it and Briante Weber nice player too, averages 4 steals a game, incredible. I think VCU will be the best team we have played, right there with Kansas. This game should give us a true measure of where this team is at. There will be no excuses. You know they will play their hearts out, hopefully they can knock down some shots and make it an interesting game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would hope we will try and get the ball inside as much as possible. Taking too many 3's in this game, will just get VCU on run outs and layups and dunks.

We just don't shoot them well enough. 8-22 wasn't bad against Duquesne though. I would take that most nights.

Our 2 pt. shooting was the worst it's been all season in that game.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This game all boils down to how we handle their pressure, and if we can get good shots. Be them twos, threes or FTs. Concerned the length of their back court will bother Jarvis and not a whole lot of confidence in Biggie right now. I could see TJ playing a big role at center of press break. Not sure they have anyone that can handle EC or Hassan in the half court, we have to find a way to make this a game about the stars....our stars are better. They are much deeper.
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

What's the honest attendance number we can expect for this game?

Students are not back on campus yet. I expect some of the local students to make the trip however nowhere near the size of the Nebraska game. The fact that it's on a Tuesday hurts with the traveling alumni. Is 6,700 a realistic number? Is there any chance we can get 7 in the house?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The RC needs to be hostile and loud like the Nebraska game.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

anything over 6k and its loud in there. would love to see another full house? anyone know which season had the most games over 7k in the history of the RC?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, Johnson, Weber, and Graham are a match for our stars.

The difference is, they really are much deeper.

Our best players have to find a way to outplay their best players.

If we do, we've got a chance. This would be a good game for Terrell to start hitting his shots.

EC will need a lot of help scoring, otherwise they will swarm him, and make him a volume shooter, which would kill our chances.

Hopefully Gil will come to play also. We know Hassan will.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

You'll probably have to update that ranking on Monday. They might be ranked close to 15th.
We must attack their pressure and limit their transition opportunities. We can't run with a team like that yet. They also really struggle in the half court. We need Hass to EAT inside like he always does, Gil and Earl need to do the same when they're in there. The play inside is pivotal for us. All they got in there is Cox and maybe Graham, as far as big bodies.
Luckily for us they probably won't be willing to play zone. So we gotta be aggressive and make some shots.
Just looking at the way road games go in conference, makes me feel like this game should be close.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Love the 3-0 record but it's a shaky 3-0 against teams with a combined 1-8 conference record. This game will tell us a lot.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Despite going 2-12 yesterday, and nevermind his ice-cold 2 FTs to win it...Terrell showing more of his eventual strengths on offense yesterday. Knocked down 2 threes, showed better ability in getting to the rim (he missed a couple close ones i think he eventually starts finishing) and he used the pump fake from three to get an easier two. Also had 3 assists. That is going to be his game eventually, slashes to the hoop, 15 footers and a couple threes. 12-14 ppg, 3 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals. Future Terrell stat lines.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

That could be his stat line next year. But this year he is regressing offensively. His shots aren't even close. I would even take 4-12, but I think you're putting spin on 2-12. That's unacceptable for a starter
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I think whenever EC leaves, Terrell's stats will be a lot better than 12-14 ppg.
Don't know how you got those numbers, after he's played 14 games..
They aren't even as good as EC were as a freshman.
I expect more, and so does the staff.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Good point on Terrell. I thought the same thing. He showed more patience. Even though he missed some shots he was right there. Like you say, instead of settling for 3, took it in for a better shot. He will eventually slash and finish well, strong and athletic, just has to be more selective. Remember he is only a freshman. I think his shot will come around too. His shot is not awful, his shot selection often has been. He, along with Garrett are the 2 guys that I believe can develop into good, if not very good shooters. He is fearless, unlike anyone else on team and relentless on defense.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Terrell is used to being bigger, stronger and faster than everyone. He will adjust. I think he will have a strong game vs. VCU. Hanl court isn't his strong suit. Track meet? He's your guy
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rod, I dont think Terrell's offensive game is as good as ECs. I think he can do more as a whole, but in terms of pure scoring EC at least at this point in his career was a much better scorer than JT. Better shooter, better finisher, craftier around the hoop.

Yes Iggy, that is why I said "future" stat lines. I could see those types of lines next year. I dont agree that JT is regressing. Had a couple rim out yesterday (a finger roll he missed and his miss on the And-1 opp) and I think when he is catching the ball in rhythm the last 2-3 games his shot has looked good. They will start going in, more impt to me is him finding his role/style of play on offense, I see much improvement in that area. We already know his defensive identity is well established.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I expect Jarvis to also do well in an uptempo game. Just can't be out of control, he or Terrell.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

BAR: I share your long-term view of Terrell. But he's shooting 30 percent in conference games. For a guy who is second on the team in shots, that's a problem. I hope he starts hitting on open shots and drives.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI has 3 conference wins over opponents who have a 1 win 8 loss record in conference play. Two of URI's wins were very close. The eye test tells me that URI is no longer getting better and our record is overstated. The rubber will meet the road Tuesday night against VCU. URI has the advantage of playing at home but after the Fordham performance it doesn't seem that this will cover the disparity between URI and VCU.

So far URI has fought even harder when they fall behind. Should this turn into a blow-out it will be interesting to see who has fight in them and who quits. The good news for Rhody fanatics is that I have been wrong about URI the last two home games where I thought Brown would play us tough and Fordham would be a blow-out. I'm not optimistic about the VCU game outcome versus the spread. I hope my record is worse than URI's A10 opponent's record this year.
Last edited by Rhody72 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I expect to see a huge jump in Terrell's and Jarvis's game next season.

Both will become better shooters. Would like to see more improvement this season, but it's not happening yet.

Both will also benefit with us having more of an inside game next year. I'm making an assumption on that one.

I do expect Dan to get his man, a good big man, that is.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The NCAA needs to outlaw zone defenses.

Then URI would meet the eye test.

Ha. :o
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

We will need to be firing on all cylinders and a sold out RC will give us the extra edge. Zero excuses if you are local not to be there.

Be there. Be loud.

I'm putting myself on vocal rest until tipoff. LETS GO!!!
Last edited by EZBuckets 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yeah, we stink. I think we should cancel the VCU game,
and perhaps the rest of the season.
Fire Dan, and go play in D-2.
Our guys always quit. How can we even look in the mirror, wtih such awful players.
I think Kentucky, who went into OT and double OT against vastly
inferior opponents, shoud consider doing the same.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:BAR: I share your long-term view of Terrell. But he's shooting 30 percent in conference games. For a guy who is second on the team in shots, that's a problem. I hope he starts hitting on open shots and drives.

Most of the other guys on the team can't even get shots or create shots he does. Sean makes good point about being bigger and stronger than most guys he has played against in prep school. Maybe he'll never be a great 3 pt shooter, but he can be decent, and can be very good from mid range. His shot selection has not been good, but he is still learning what he can and cannot do. I agree with BAR, yesterday's game showed better decision making and shot selection. Since he hit those big shots against Nebraska I think many believed he was going to be comparable to EC on offensive end. We're not going to see EC type offense as a frosh too often.
0 x
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

Jared is beginning to show flashes of the player in those Brewster Academy films I salivated over before he chose Oklahoma State in that circus of a press conference and everything leading up to it that his handlers orchestrated. Love his ice water attitude and when things don’t go his way he dives right back into it. No shaking of the head from this kid as he transitions.

I realize jumping into a 2-3 right off the bat goes against everything Shaka Smart has developed in the Havoc D over the last six seasons, but hell, if he watches the game films…who knows?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rod +1.

Thank God our players aren't quitters. Maybe they haven't executed up to expectations, especially against Fordham and Duquesne, but you can't criticize their effort.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

they could still play HAVOC and then fall back into a zone....in reality its easier to fall back into zone from full court pressure. I wouldn't be surprised if they at least showed zone at some points, as you say Ashcat, after watching yesterday how could you not. Esp if they are having trouble with EC in one on one situations.

This is a game where EC should look to be the facilitator for the first 10-15 minutes, draw attention, find the open man and be patient. If he starts pressing and trying to do too much the swarming D of VCU will strip him over and over again. 1-2 dribbles and make a decision (shoot or pass).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Any coach who doesn't at least consider zoning us for stretches should have their head examined. That would be pure stubborness, as even a poorly played zone could be effective against us on nights that we can't connect from outside (which is a fair percentage of nights, unfortunately).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Speaking of attendance once again, I'm guessing they are not expecting a big student turnout. The student seats are on sale for 10 dollars to the general public.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

A more legit chance to storm the court for Students. Need at least the RI ones to show. Anyone know how many tickets are sold thus far?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They aren't going to get more than 1000 students to the game, if that. That's too bad, they could be a difference maker.

6500 is my guess for overall attendance.

Shaka in his post game presser, said that the crowd really helped them, they were really loud. And the VCU students are still on their break.

Like the team, the fans aren't there yet. Win Tuesday night though, and the students will pack the place after that.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:
Shaka in his post game presser, said that the crowd really helped them, they were really loud. And the VCU students are still on their break.

VCU is an urban campus with lot of its students living in nearby apartments (blocks away). It also has a recent track record of consistent success. they have sold out all their games for the last several years if I am not mistaken. The break means little for them.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Would love to see an alternate (3rd) Jersey for us in a game like this. Win, lose or draw we will be all over the TV in highlights of Top 25. Gotta max out those rare opps.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We need the Navy blues to make an apperance.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

navy won't work, vcu will be wearing black
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

Sorry I need to be clearer. By “off the bat” I meant VCU’s defensive response to URI’s first offensive possession. I watched VCU play numerous times since Coach Smart was hired (winning will get you that national exposure) and never seen him use a 2-3 or any other zone to start a game. From what I’ve seen, Smart uses zone on select occasions mostly as a quick switch. If I was the opposing coach and had any kind on inside height available I would at least begin with a 2-3 after reviewing our game films.

Many, many, thanks Luke for the free streaming A-10 network tip yesterday. Excellent coverage (aside from the unreadable shot clock) and I got to watch the game in HD before the Pats instead of DVR'ing it on SNY and watching later in low-definition.

Weather Underground is calling for 19 degrees Fahrenheit and clear skies at tip off Tuesday. The chilly temperature may deter some of the older folks but I’m hoping for a full house or close to it.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Part of the reason that I think the navy uniforms should be the regular road ones and the Keaney uniforms should be the alternates - you can wear those at home or on the road.

Although twisted, the home team gets to pick. If we want to wear Navy VCU would have to wear something other than black (white or gold, if they have gold in their arsenal - not sure on that).
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

$10 tickets in the student section made my decision easy..

Tickets bought on Friday ...

I think I am developing a cough and need to leave early on Tuesday..

LET'S GO RHODY!!!

I hope we get 6k+++
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I hope they promote this. Nothing like a redo on a top 25 team. This time, they might be real. They should send an email to every student hyping this game. This is gonna be huge!!!!
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Where can you buy $10 tickets? I am on the site and see $19 as the cheapest
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

hopefully we will hear from DistrictBallerfan with his take, always like to hear what he has to say about his VCU Rams.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

The commercial was playing as early as last Tueday, prior to the Fordham game. Definitely got the TV advertising out there well in advance.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

So pumped for this game. Really need this W to establish URI as a legitimate contender in the A10 and position themselves for a tournament run.

Even without the students all back on campus there is no excuse for the Ryan Center to not be packed.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:Any coach who doesn't at least consider zoning us for stretches should have their head examined. That would be pure stubborness, as even a poorly played zone could be effective against us on nights that we can't connect from outside (which is a fair percentage of nights, unfortunately).
Hurley would not play zone against his own team
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Unfortunately w/o the students being on campus, and the pack the house on campus campaign not going on , I see less tha the big numbers predicted above....hope I am wrong......no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Any coach who doesn't at least consider zoning us for stretches should have their head examined. That would be pure stubborness, as even a poorly played zone could be effective against us on nights that we can't connect from outside (which is a fair percentage of nights, unfortunately).
Hurley would not play zone against his own team
I love Hurley but I have issues with him about that and a couple other philosophical things. I can like the coach even if I have some philosophical disagreements with him, and I do. But I really think he is wrong about that. I also don't think he would ever recruit a player like Micah Mason because as a 6'2"/180lb SG he doesn't fit that fullcourt man-to-man style, but having a guy like that on this team could be the difference from being a tournament team or not. And I disagree with him about whatever his reason is for keeping his second best big man nailed to the bench. Nothing I want to fire the guy over, obviously. I'm willing to roll with him despite the things I disagree with him on, but my preference would be a different approach.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, you're not alone. Us armchair quarterbacks have all kinds of suggestions as to improvements in strategy and whatnot.

I agree with you on that point, along with the reluctance to feed the post against a zone. Are the players not seeing it, or is Dan not teaching them to do it?
0 x