Game #8: @ Providence College - GameDay!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Game #8: @ Providence College - GameDay!!

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody faces off with in-state rival, Providence Collage, Wednesday at 7pm from the Dunkin Donuts Center.

Game will be telecast on Fox Sports 2 and Ocean State Networks for those with Cox cable. Most people do not get FS2 in HD, so OSN is your best bet.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #8: @ Providence College 7pm Wednesday

Unread post by adam914 »

Oh boy here we go...the thread makes it real!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Last year, the game was played in the low 50s. What type of game do we see this year?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

I listened to the PC post-game show on EEI Friday night. D-B and Hassett were very, very fair about what plagued the Friars in its loss to BC: not diving for balls, not liking contact, pressuring the guards, and BC crashing the boards and scrapping for everything.
They didn't complain about the disparity in FT-attempts, just a result of pounding the glass. Henton, Lindsay, and Harris were all singled-out for being "afraid of contact, not taking it to the hoop." Hassett said, "Jeez, I mean Harris is 6-10, and he just hangs around at the key. C'mon, you gotta get in there…."
It was very interesting….All I could think of was JT diving along the sideline at Disney….In hope URI brings its CONFIDENT INTENSITY to this contest and CONTESTS EVERYTHING THE WAY COACH HURLEY'S DESIGNED IT AND HAS TALKED ABOUT PRESSURING THE OPPOSITION.
IT'D BE NICE TO SEE THE BLACK AND WHITE PEE-CEEING ITS SHORTS…..
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Both teams play good D.

The team that wins will make more plays on offense....

I don't see a lot of fast breaks. I would say the score will be in the 60's.

This game should have intensity both ways. Cooley won't let the Friars sleepwalk at home...we know Dan won't let URI do likewise.

URI just proved they can play well on the road, albeit against a smaller team. Just carry that over to Wednesday, and see if it's good enough.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

The beauty of being on the road is winning on the road.

Think about it: URI has played two "real home games," and the big win against Nebraska seems like four weeks ago. Playing at the Dunkin Derelicts Center isn't going to faze them. There are going to be an ample amount of URI fans at the game, and how loud do PC fans get? Their student fan-base isn't so hot either...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, it's not exactly 2700 loud standing students like at the Nebraska game in the Ryan Center. Their band is really good, though. Look out for that, Rams!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So even though Rhody gets to starting planning for Providence, the Friars need to worry about Brown especially after losing to Boston College. They can't take anything for granted returning to their home floor Monday night.

Advantage Rhody on that....
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yeah, I like that this is the 3rd year and we have people on the sideline and on the court that understand what this game is for us.

I hope we don't see too much streetball out of JT. Need him to lock in and play disciplined and everybody else to show up.

Wonder if DH has some wrinkles this year? 3 days to show up in a game that he nearly got in a fist fight in?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We won't be playing in front of a friends and relative crowd,
like we did tonight.
Matthews will need to play a lot better than he did tonight.
Same with Gil
Again, I'd like to see a lot more of Watson. He's everything he
was advertised to be. Plus, that's a biiigggg man.
I thought he'd be a crude guy, smashing his way around.
He's got some nice post moves, and plays smart.
PC fans will have it in for Hurley. Opposing fans don't like him at all.
It comes down to Dunn, Henton and Harris.
Can Terrell stay within himself and stop Dunn? Will he let his
emotions lead him into making silly plays or trying to do too much?
Foul trouble. We need Hassan and Gil on the floor. Having Watson makes it
a bit less critical than last year.
Turnovers. We need to take care of the ball and turn PC over.
Winning this game will not be easy, but it certainly is possible.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We will need a clean game from everyone, Gil and Hassan; both cannot get in foul trouble, Watson off the bench will provide some decent backup, for me the front court has got to play super to win, along with some containment of Dunn, the early game minutes are key for the frosh players to experience the intensity of this annual rock fight......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I would unleash iffy for 5 minutes and wait for PC's front court to have back spasms. I doubt he gets any minutes, but with all the other guys on this team it is nice to show up with some pieces.

2 years ago we couldn't say we need this guy and that guy to do this to win. We were like..... do we have a starting 5?

Personally, I have to see Dunn go off for me to worry about him. Henton will continue to be a hustle scorer. He's not a pure scorer, just a guy that CAN make a shot but is more of an offensive rebound/get open layup guy.

Only thing I give credence going into this game is PC's potential to use their length to bother us on offense and their ability to keep their possession's alive on the offensive glass. Tall guys can poke the ball off the glass to their own guys who are also tall. Other than that PC doesn't have a go-to option any team should fear. Not as of today.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This game is no longer showing up on Fox Sports 2 for me.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yes, we have been on the road.....but the Dunk hostile atmosphere for this big in-state game does concern me on how will our first timers react and handle it all....no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

This game is a different animal for players. Ask anyone who has played in this game and they'll say the intensity goes to 11. And if you never played in this game before, you don't get it and usually struggle.

That's why I can see TJ starting at PG for this game. He's careful with the rock, a senior and has the highest basketball IQ on the court. His calm intensity will be needed at the start of the game on both side of the ball.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dunn had 24 points and single handed kept PC in the BC game.
That's 2 less than Matthews' season high, plus he gets a huge amount of assists
and is a defensive disruptor.
I worry about him more than anyone on their roster.
Biggie will start. He's our new Jon Clarke.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sweep The Leg wrote:This game is a different animal for players. Ask anyone who has played in this game and they'll say the intensity goes to 11. And if you never played in this game before, you don't get it and usually struggle.

That's why I can see TJ starting at PG for this game. He's careful with the rock, a senior and has the highest basketball IQ on the court. His calm intensity will be needed at the start of the game on both side of the ball.
Agree, I would love to see TJ start this game, but here are the minutes broken down for last night so not so bad:
Terrell 31
Mathews 30
Buchanan 24 - with 4 fouls
Biruta 20
Martin 19 - with 4 fouls
Minnis 19
Garrett 18
Watson 14 - with 4 fouls

Minnis did contribute 4 steals out of the team's total steals of 9, he had 4 assists and an impressive zero turnovers
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Rod,

you are spot on. As Dunn goes; so goes PC. He opens things up for Henton and Harris and he's a very good defender. He will be key in disrupting the young Rhody backcourt. I hope the refs let them play. I don't want to see cheap fouls sending key players on either side to the bench. As much as I hated losing to BC; it was a wake up call to this team to bring the intensity every night. I see PC winning a close game late at the line by 6-8. If Lindsey can get going and keep his guy from cheating towards Henton or collapsing when Dunn drives, it could be more like 10-12. That being said, URI has the talent to win the game if everyone plays their "A" game. I'd put it at about 30% probability. I expect a loud, rowdy crowd. I'll be floored if it's not a sellout.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

this game is also on MSG+ in the NY area
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm putting my chips on EC for this game. He is gonna want redemption for the last second miss last year. And after a great road win they know they will need to play even better to win this. I don't think we see a letdown for this game. URI by 5.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree, Sean about the whistles.
Did anyone watch the KY-Texas foul fest on Friday?
I think Texas could have won the game, but since KY
has 50 players of about equal talent, they won instead.
People don't tune in to see the refs call ticky-tack fouls all night.
In the Duke-Wisconsin game there was an out of bounds play that the
announcers made the right call, on watching the replay once.
It was that obvious.
Instead, it took the refs over five minutes to make that call looking at
the TV monitor.
They killed the momentum of the game. The crowd was booing them.
Nobody wants to have refs be the focal point of any game.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Last year it seemed like all those hand check foul calls were the major problem; this season, it's the phantom charges.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PC plays very good defense, their length will bother us and we wont be more athletic than them like we are against other past and future opponents. I do not fear their rebounding though, their bigs are long but not tough and not overly physical (except for Bentil who is a FR). Unless we get massive foul trouble we should hold our own inside.

Key for us on O as always is solid PG play. TJ, Minnis, Garrett, we need at least 1 of them to play an A game. On D K.Dunn is the most important player for us, bar none. Henton is very good but for the most part cannot create his own offense. He gets open in the offense and is a very competent shooter, and he feeds off the space that Dunn creates. Like he did with Cotton drawing attention. As I said earlier, I actually think someone like Garrett on Dunn would be the best strategy, assuming Jarvis is capable on the offensive side. Playing tight on Dunn, being a pest, speeding him up and drawing him into traffic for turnovers and charges, that is one way to go. Dunn is not going to shoot over Jarvis, that is not his game. I think he will blow by TJ and Terrell, he is lighting quick. Biggie no way, not even worth discussing.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

seanmc94 wrote:Rod,

you are spot on. As Dunn goes; so goes PC. He opens things up for Henton and Harris and he's a very good defender. He will be key in disrupting the young Rhody backcourt. I hope the refs let them play. I don't want to see cheap fouls sending key players on either side to the bench. As much as I hated losing to BC; it was a wake up call to this team to bring the intensity every night. I see PC winning a close game late at the line by 6-8. If Lindsey can get going and keep his guy from cheating towards Henton or collapsing when Dunn drives, it could be more like 10-12. That being said, URI has the talent to win the game if everyone plays their "A" game. I'd put it at about 30% probability. I expect a loud, rowdy crowd. I'll be floored if it's not a sellout.
Ummmmmm, take a look at it in reverse, mc94: URI has the backcourt and reserves to wear down and disrupt a very thin, young and inexperienced PC backcourt. PC winning at the line? They're shooting near 65% as a team this year, nothing like last year's blistering pace; also, PC's young backcourt is so turnover-prone; also, Cartwright has yet to connect from 3-point land to help open things up. What happens if Dunn gets in foul trouble? Better yet, Carson D? And do you think that URI is going to let Henton go wherever he wants? Bentil apparently looked lost against BC….Will Harris be a guilty bystander all night?
Your 30% probability for a URI win translates into PC being a 7-point favorite.
The line will probably be "pick 'em."

Oh, well.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

My biggest concerns for this game are 1.) not being able to get going inside and relying on jumpshots that aren't falling and 2.) EC trying to do too much because of the magnitude of the game.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I think controlling Dunn is the key for the game, not just his scoring but the scoring he sets up
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

URI wins when EC lets the game come to him, which is why they win convincingly…..Coach Hurley will emphasize that when everyone is involved, the teams excels…
Just look at the tape…..
That was the beauty of last night's game: two players in double-digits, multiple scorers across the board.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Need to keep the ball moving on offense.

EC obviously listened to Dan and became a facilitator instead of an instigator. In others words he shared the ball and got others involved. Less dribbling, more passing.

He can't go back to being a volume shooter.

It's going to mean he's not going to get the gaudy numbers night in and night out that he was getting.

From this it shows that he is truly a team player and wants the TEAM to win. As Terrell and Jarvis mature, EC no longer has to try and carry the team by himself.

Might not help his NBA prospects, but it will help his team's prospects!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, I don't think EC needs to lessen his game to the
point of 2-8 shooting and 8 points.
He's still the best player on the team, and as such, needs to
contribute.
There's a happy medium somewhere, between being a team player and, being too unselfish.
We still need him to score 15-25 points as a normal game.
It's the one on one forced shots that need to go, not his scoring.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well, I don't think EC needs to lessen his game to the
point of 2-8 shooting and 8 points.
He's still the best player on the team, and as such, needs to
contribute.
There's a happy medium somewhere, between being a team player and, being too unselfish.
We still need him to score 15-25 points as a normal game.
It's the one on one forced shots that need to go, not his scoring.
Right, he needs to get back to taking the ball to the hoop more. Its tougher now with teams focusing on him all the time, but so far he seems to be taking way more outside shots than usual.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yep. He's skilled enough to find higher percentage shots (for him), which shouldn't include driving 1 on 3 and getting stuffed or taking a contested three pointer.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

While we're talking about keys to the game, if you can make this game and don't have tickets yet go buy them now. It's on us as fans to try to negate their home court advantage as much as possible.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like I said, as Terrell and Jarvis become more of an offensive threat, teams won't be able to focus their game plan on stopping just him.

More scoring options, less pressure on EC should equal better results. Like Rod said, we need more production from him that we got last night against better opponents, but not at the expense of better team offense.

I'd say a steady 15-20 a game would be about right, on less shots but better shot selection.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I feel like we will be undersized at the center position. PC's Desrosiers is listed at 7ft and our tallest guy is Gil at 6'8". That's a 4" separation, which could be a problem for us.
Rhody should prepare to have very few calls go their way as well...as is typical for playing at the Dunk during a URI vs. PC game. I hope Hurley has them playing 5 on 6 at practice because that's what it's going to feel like. It'll be like the Nebraska game, but with the addition of the majority of fans cheering for PC.
I think we finally have some guys with an attitude that will be up for this game. Terrell, TJ, Martin, and Watson all appear to have a lot of confidence, physical, and mental toughness needed for this coming PC game. Go Rhody! Let's get a win against a Big Least team!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RHODY WOMEN BEAT PEECEE 63-54 JUST NOW!
The FORCE is strong in our ladies!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I don't think this game overwhelms JT, or Watson. Maybe Jarvis.... only because they have said that he has had the most adjustment issues. Look at Jordan Hare, he played his best in this game. I still think Jarvis moves his feet well enough to be a pest on D anywhere against anybody.

I think if PC was good, that would have much more to do with our guys having trouble. I just don't think PC is very good.

1. BC has wins over UNH, UNM, MARIST, and PC to go along with 3 losses, two of which are to A10 teams. (4-3)

2. But they beat NOTRE DAME! true, but only win that ND has is against Mich State, who has no identity yet and looks pedestrian.

3. But FSU! They beat FSU! Well FSU is 4-4, they are not a good team.

4. They did beat Yale... props. Yale hit that game winner against a 3-3 UCONN :roll: :lol: .
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Bigs need to stay out of foul trouble.. Tough to do in this game given their propensity to be in trouble against smaller front courts..
E C needs a monster game.. He has to figure out a way to score going to his right. Teams have him figured out with his strength to the left. They are overplaying him big time and he has not been able to adjust..
Need to get some easy buckets off turnovers.. Keep the pressure on the guards!!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Force the tempo and make it an open game. Our back court vs theirs we can win. Bigs get in foul trouble or their athleticism bothers us are concerns. Make no mistake it would be a better win than Nebraska.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

If Nebraska beats Creighton, there is noway PC is considered a better team than the Cornhuskers.

Important because its a rival and away? sure. But not because PC is better.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SPG, based on what i have seen I think PC is better than Nebraska. I also think at the end of the season the win against PC would hold more weight.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Ahhhh the eye test! Maybe.

I respectfully disagree.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, the transitive theory has no place in basketball.
It's all about match-ups.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

And Rod this is one game where match up doesn't play as big a role. This is about grit and determination. As evidenced last year. We were clearly the inferior team and had the last second shot for the win. If I was AD, old Rhody would make a special guest appearance at this game. Maybe knock down the clown friar for good measure. That would get the RI fans going.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Match-ups are everything, not the ones on paper, but the ones created on the court. Defensive mismatches lead to turnovers and that is when URI is at its best. That's why I loved the harum-scarum match-up zone last night.
Fresh legs, pressure D, will wear down PC's thin backcourt.
The key is to capitalize off of turnovers, scoring points. Contest their three-point shots, box-out, bang the boards, and get it done in transition when it's opportune. Work the ball on offense, crash the offensive glass.
Martin, Biruta need to get involved early. Physically, this team is there with PC….
PC's averaging 15 assists and 13 turnovers per game as a team. Dunn, in 195 minutes, has 46 assists and 30 turnovers. Henton is averaging more than two turnovers a game with less than an assist a game.
Don't let up, scrap for everything. Hell, Sonar more-than-intimated that PC seemed afraid to get a floor burn against BC. Make Harris piss his shorts.

WHO WILL LEAD THE CHARGE?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOSvLWK5Z2A

Get it done.

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION

IN ASSOCIATION WITH EMOTICON ENTERPRISES
Last edited by bressler3south 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

size should be an issue for uri. bentil could play big in this game... but dunn needs to play well and henton/harris need to hit shots.

don't know anything about rhody pressure D... but literally no one on PC can handle the ball and create their own offense. if you slap at the ball enough pc will have a frustrating amount of turnovers. i don't expect the D to let another team shoot over 50% like against BC.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Well we can put some pretty stifling pressure on some guards and will do it the whole game.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:This game is no longer showing up on Fox Sports 2 for me.
Uh oh, its not showing up for me anymore either. Do you have UVerse?

I'm not seeing it listed on their website either. Its actually not listed as being on FS2 on the Providence website anymore either.

This could really suck if I end up not getting this game on TV.

http://www.foxsports.com/tv-listings
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

bigappleram wrote:SPG, based on what i have seen I think PC is better than Nebraska. I also think at the end of the season the win against PC would hold more weight.
No.
:lol:

(jk...just being a wise ass.)
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I always felt I got as much energy from a hostile away crowd as a home crowd. I don't know if PC is better than Nebraska. I don't know how good Nebraska actually is, and I'm not really all that convinced on PC, either. Nebraska was a huge win because it was a rare opportunity to get a ranked power-5 team into our building, and because of the drought against ranked teams and the stakes that Dan and the athletic department built into that game as our coming out party. But beating PC will always mean more than beating a Nebraska type team (unless we are talking about in the tournament). I think the atmosphere will be great and our guys will thrive off of it. If we can hit some shots early and see it go in a few times and play loose from there, I like our chances.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

It's saying it's going to show the Ultimate fighter at 7 on Wednesday....
0 x