Game #4: URI vs. #11/12 Kansas - GameDay!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Game #4: URI vs. #11/12 Kansas - GameDay!!

Unread post by Obadiah »

Now for the game versus #11/12 Kansas, a program among the royalty of college basketball. You claim royalty when you win/share the Big 12 regular season title for 10 straight years followed by a regular appearance in the NCAA with a seed no lower than 4. The Jayhawks RPI for the last five years is 1-1-5-5-4 as compared to URI’s 38-99-262-201-156.

But despite all that heritage, what makes this Orlando Classic opener so appealing is that URI has a shot at winning this game.

Kansas’ 15-man roster is composed of 10 freshmen and sophomores with many of the newcomers being elite players. Nonetheless, you don’t easily replace players like Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid even with elite recruits. So Kansas has some growing pains which the early season clearly shows.

Kansas has played only two games as of this post (they play Rider tonight); a home win over a good UC Santa Barbara team, 69-59, and a big margin loss to Kentucky, 72-40 in a game played in Indianapolis.

In the first game win, UCSB was able to keep the game close except for the last 10 minutes and what kept them competitive was that Kansas shooting was just OK.

Things got more grim against Kentucky when the Jayhawks had a woeful shooting game : FG 19.6%, 3-pointers 20%, FT 55.6%. Their shooting was worse in the second half than in the first, as the game got away from them. Guard Frank Mason typified the shooting as he was 1-10 from the field, 5-6 on FT’s. The combined guard production was 8-35 FG’s, 22.8%.

Coach Bill Self, understandably, is still tinkering with the rotation, using two juniors and three sophomores, a three guard rotation. Against Kentucky he used four of starters of the UCSB game, substituting the freshman guard Oubre Kelly for Brannen Greene. Deep team. Good sized front court with good rebounding capability.

Likely starters:

Perry Ellis, 6-8 225 forward Jr.
Jamari Taylor, 6-8 220 forward Jr.
Frank Mason III, 5-11 185 guard soph
Wayne Selden Jr., 6-5 230 guard soph
Brannen Greene, 6-7 215 guard soph/Oubre Kelly, 6-7 200 guard fr

Off the bench;

Devonte Graham, 6-2 175 guard, fr
Sviatoslov Mykhailiuk, 6-8 195 guard fr.
Cliff Alexander, 6-8 240 forward fr.

Notes:
Wayne Selden is from Roxbury, MA and Tilton Academy

Svie Mykhailiuk is only 17 years old, played for the Ukranian national team and is a versatile player who can play all three positions on the perimeter, and can also play the point, and the two. He is considered a knockdown 3 point shooter hitting on 43% with the national team. In the two Kansas games to date, he is 1-7 on threes.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Game #4: URI vs. #11/12 Kansas - Thursday, Nov. 27

Unread post by Obadiah »

With tonight's win over Rider, Kansas will take a 2-1 record into Thursday's game versus URI. Judging from Jayhawk fan comments, they have no love for URI given they remember 1998. They are already talking about how they will play Michigan State in the championship game on Sunday.

The Jayhawks were never challenged in the game versus Rider, a bottom half team in the Metro Atlantic, and Bill Self used a different starting five once again. Their shooting improved and that was helped by Rider's poor defensive effort and rebounding weakness. If we can hold our own against their bigs, and our guards can do as well as they did in the second half/OT versus Nebraska, then Rhody may pull this off. But we are going to need decent FT shooting to have a chance.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

I know that means they will play us to the best of their ability. But it still sounds nice to be 1up (via 1998) on a great program as good year in, year out as Kansas is. Just another reason to feel relevant and its great timing!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

We are winning this game.

Fact.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Love it, Blue Man! Hey, we are catching them at the right time. Still young and geling (which we are too) and coming off what has to be a completely ego-deflating loss. I've seen crazier things happen. I can't wait to control the remote at my future in-laws house this Thurs. Instead of watching Cutler, Stafford, Forte, and Johnson we'll be focused on Matthews, Martin, Biruta, and Terrell...they just dont know it yet. Oh well, if they're crazy enough to accept me in their family and allow me to marry one of their own they better get used to it.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Haha, I am doing the same thing NJ03. Unfortunately for them they already accepted me into the family. Not sure what they were thinking.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This lines up real nice for us agreed, opportunity here!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Objective #1, Hassan/Biruta need to attack Alexander, getting two quick ones on him would change the entire makeup of the game. Just need to hang around for the first half and first 8 of the second half, be within 5-6 points with 12 minutes to go. And then, anything can happen.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I will be at the game. And I'm wearing the same shirt as I did on Saturday.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ram Stampede!!! wrote:I know that means they will play us to the best of their ability. But it still sounds nice to be 1up (via 1998) on a great program as good year in, year out as Kansas is. Just another reason to feel relevant and its great timing!
What do you mean being 1up? We certainly have the most memorable win for sure.

Here's some "recent" games vs the Jayhawks

12/30/2006 URI 69 @KU 80
03/15/1998 URI 80 KU 75
12/29/1993 URI 60 @KU 73
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

They really hate that 98 team lol. Lets make em hate the 2014-15 team! I saw KU 9 point favorites on their forum, but I'm sure that will change by Thanksgiving. Rams Basketball, Food and Family this year boys!
0 x
GO RAMS
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

I was at the 2006 game. Allen Fieldhouse is my all time favorite hoops venue.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

It does not look like they have a ton of size - makes me think we have a shot. I am more worried when a team has real bigs in the middle because we don't have anyone that matches up well physically.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm thinking Watson will be our primary "banger" and back to the basket kind a guy by mid season. I'm fine with his height, so far so good with 3 blocks in 25 minutes. Also, so far everybody is out-rebounding their counterparts. When we start talking 7'/7'2" with honest skill, I'll be worried. 6'10"/6'11" or shorter doesn't bother me.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm gonna pop in my dvd of the 1998 Second Round game against Kansas tomorrow. Just to get me warmed up.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If you breakdown each player match up they should be favored, but on their best night.

Who knows what kind of road team we are, but if they don't play their best it is a close game and can go either way. They aren't good enough to really destroy us with anything less than their best.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not so sure about them not being good enough. They obviously have talent, but they are young and haven't gelled yet.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

And neither have we.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Their talent is obvious but look at perry Ellis and Gil? How many points better is Ellis?

I think you can do that across the roster, Seldon v EC. If EC is everything everyone says he is it should be even.

I think you can continue this analysis.

Their thumping by Kentucky I don't think happens to at least Zona, Duke, Nova, Wisconsin, maybe Texas.

Kansas isn't long at all.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have a chance to win this if we play well.

Being a neutral court game helps a lot also. If we were playing at their place, it might be too intimidating for our young guys at this point.

I think we'll be about a 5 pt. dog, for the guys who like to speculate about our chance to win, I'd say we have a 30-40% chance.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I have confidence going into this game. We obviously have some great talent. Can't discount Kansas though. I'm looking forward to a win. Not hoping for a win. Haven't said that in awhile. Especially against a team like Kansas.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Some interesting comments from the Kansas fans on "one" of their many boards.

Kansas Board
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I hope our people aren't setting themselves up for disappointment. I want to win every game, and I think we have a prayer here. I even admire the confidence. Just don't come here Thursday saying "same old Rbody" if we don't pull off an upset. Not only is Kansas one of the truly top tier and elite programs in CBB, they are probably a top 5ish team this season when all is said and done. They get to assemble their roster by picking from among the best players in the country.

Be optimistic, be hopeful, but don't be delusional if that means I'm going to have to read whiny comments Thursday night and Friday morning.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I'm not delusional, I think Kansas is part of the blue bloods as a program with arguably the best coach.

I think their team this week, right now,is top 10 at best and really at the least a tier below the top, maybe toward the bottom of that tier. This is speaking nationally against other big programs not us.

Now I look at them vs us and I think that if they let us hang around, which I believe is more their identity than the exception, then we could beat them.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Kansas fans are really worrying. Saying Kansas plays scared and not sure of themselves.
Well I hope that's the case, because our guys got some confidence, and confidence usually prevails.
I think we really have to shoot the ball better. Gotta knock down some momentum shifting threes if we're gonna pull of the upset. There's no doubt in my mind that we can stay with them with our defense though.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So what constitutes delusional? I was confident in the team in 98 they could win. Against the #1 Kansas. Was that delusional? Although, Delusion was taught pretty well in Ballentine so I have that going for me.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The entire key to this game, is we need to come out and hang with them from the get go.

Cannot get stomped on early. It's all about confidence. Make some shots. Don't rush things. Play solid D.

I know that's easy to say. But with the youth on this team, this is a new experience for Terrell and Jarvis, and Watson also, even though he's no kid at 24.

Like I said earlier, at least we're not playing AT Kansas. That would be tough.

Look at last year. The road wasn't a friendly place for us early in the season. At least EC and the rest hopefully have learned their lessons.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Against Nebraska they had a tough offensive game and a great defensive game. The second half was better than the first, and OT they turned it up. We need them to have the offense they had in OT and play the same tough defense. They're young, but this should be a fun game to watch. If Graham is playing many minutes that will help as JT knows his game. Like Petteway who was a freshman with Biggie and played with EC over the summer, I think that helped us. It wasn't foreign to us. So Devonte won't be foreign and should neutralize some hype.
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

I think everyone has to remember, it's November. It's going to be the 4th game for 2 very young teams. Lots of unknowns still at this point. Bill Self's teams are known to get very strong closer to March, but it is a slower progression especially with a young team. Perry Ellis is their eldest player, but from what I've seen not much of a vocal leader. I think it will be a very close game, but us playing them now gives us a much better chance in winning than in March. There's a reason he's won I believe 10 Big 12 titles.

Read an article today about how he's switched his starting lineup around not because of what's happening on the court, but off the court. Nothing crazy, just being late to class/tutoring/meetings. That shows an immature team, which isn't really surprising with the youth. The more that I see/read about this team this early in the season, grows my confidence that we can pull off the upset.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Just once I want an announcer during one of these games to say "boom shaka laka" after a dunk. It would make my day.
After watching E.C. mouth off to Parker towards the middle-end of the second half, I figured I'd list some good trash talking movie quotes from White Men Can't Jump...for inspiration of course:
-"It's hard work makin' you look so bad."
-"Yo, pretty boy! I looked up basketball player in the dictionary and it said 'Not you!'"
-"Can anybody step in for mr. handicap? Anybody, for Mr. Motherfucking March of Dimes?"
-"You still putting up bricks? What is this a masons convention? Clang!! Clang!! I need welding torch to play in this leauge. Lets stop right now and gather up all these bricks and build a shelter for the homeless so that your mother will have a place to live. I want your Mother and Sister out of my house immediately !!"
-"I don't mean to brag... but I'm the greatest!"
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

I saw at least a couple sites calling Nebraska overrated, only after we beat them.
Hypothetical Scenario: Say we come away with the victory. Kansas will be 2-2 with wins vs Ryder and UC Santa Barbara. It's just reality. Will they be saying Kansas was overrated. Absolutely!

It is a similar concept just like when we pick up great players and all of a sudden the players stars and ratings decrease. You're probably saying, well who really cares as long as we know what we accomplished. You're not wrong in thinking that way. But I see that in order for this national opinion about Rhody b-ball to change into a positive image, it's going to take several years of quality Rhody squads performing well, along with the continued success of the A-10...and even then you are always going to have those haters any where you go
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

The Dude wrote:Just once I want an announcer during one of these games to say "boom shaka laka" after a dunk. It would make my day.
After watching E.C. mouth off to Parker towards the middle-end of the second half, I figured I'd list some good trash talking movie quotes from White Men Can't Jump...for inspiration of course:
-"It's hard work makin' you look so bad."
-"Yo, pretty boy! I looked up basketball player in the dictionary and it said 'Not you!'"
-"Can anybody step in for mr. handicap? Anybody, for Mr. Motherfucking March of Dimes?"
-"You still putting up bricks? What is this a masons convention? Clang!! Clang!! I need welding torch to play in this leauge. Lets stop right now and gather up all these bricks and build a shelter for the homeless so that your mother will have a place to live. I want your Mother and Sister out of my house immediately !!"
-"I don't mean to brag... but I'm the greatest!"
"Don't worry, Sydney. I hustled a hell of lot better players than you. Don't go throw no brick now."
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Win or lose, I don't think anyone will be saying "same ol Rhody" any more, thanks to last week. The reason last week felt so good because it was a good bye to the old way, to the process, to the almost...everything. Win or lose everyone can finally point to something and say - nope, things are changing - regardless of how this game goes.

That said, I will repeat it again: we are winning this game. Fact.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I know BAR already asked this in another thread, but where's you know who? the supposed Rhody fan....
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Speaking of bricks, did anybody see where UMass-Lowell missed 11 of their last 12 FT's and STILL beat Fordham? At Fordham? What a clusterfuck that program is. Word is their prize recruit Paschall has got Severe Syndrome [throwing up 3 pt. bricks] and has been hitting the buffet line harder than he has practices.

And Nebraska, even though they won their last game, was 1-10 on FT's early in that game. Must have been a carryover from watching us brick it up from the line Saturday night.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

And Blue Man, I'm with you. I've noticed myself thinking "after we beat Kansas" instead of "if we beat Kansas", my confidence in the team has increased some but its more than that, I have a feeling about this game.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man, I am holding you to that prediction. As your will be done, sir.

Since it was 15 years since we beat a top 25 team, we've got some catching up to do.

Might as well start now. :P
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

rambone 78 wrote:Blue Man, I am holding you to that prediction. As your will be done, sir.

Since it was 15 years since we beat a top 25 team, we've got some catching up to do.

Might as well start now. :P
That would make for an awesome story. A team who hasn't beat a ranked opponent in 15 years gets 2 in back to back games...

And I shutter to think of the possibility of having both Rhody and PC ranked for the 12/10 matchup. That would be huge for RI basketball and draw more recruits to the Ocean State.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote:Win or lose, I don't think anyone will be saying "same ol Rhody" any more, thanks to last week. The reason last week felt so good because it was a good bye to the old way, to the process, to the almost...everything. Win or lose everyone can finally point to something and say - nope, things are changing - regardless of how this game goes.

I hope you're right. As long as people are done smashing the panic button every time something less than optimal happens I'll be a happy guy. I think Rhody can win the game and I'm excited to see how they respond to some prosperity, really for the first time in any of the players' college careers. I'm just bracing for blowback from unreasonable expectations, in part because of the experience of last season. As certain as you are that we will be beat Kansas, I am more certain there will be another clunker from this team at some point this season. That is just how sports work.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Win or lose, I don't think anyone will be saying "same ol Rhody" any more, thanks to last week. The reason last week felt so good because it was a good bye to the old way, to the process, to the almost...everything. Win or lose everyone can finally point to something and say - nope, things are changing - regardless of how this game goes.

I hope you're right. As long as people are done smashing the panic button every time something less than optimal happens I'll be a happy guy. I think Rhody can win the game and I'm excited to see how they respond to some prosperity, really for the first time in any of the players' college careers. I'm just bracing for blowback from unreasonable expectations, in part because of the experience of last season. As certain as you are that we will be beat Kansas, I am more certain there will be another clunker from this team at some point this season. That is just how sports work.
That was why Saturday was awesome. The panic button is gone. I am certain we will lose a gut wrenching heart breaker we should've won at some point this year...we're a young team. This is really uncharted waters for most of us. Speaking for myself, we haven't been basketball relevant in terms of winning since before I hit puberty. Smashing the panic button in the past, including last year, is a learned reaction based on literally over a decade of saying "this is the year" and having our dicks kicked out of our assholes every. single. season.

Seriously look back on the Jim Baron era and point to one thing we did that we can keep for ourselves and say...we did that. There's nothing there. "20 win seasons" sweet. NIT appearances. cool. Not one big win. Not a single one.

Finally we can move forward with the narrative that we're a young team, but finally a capable one.

With that capability comes a win tomorrow.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

When I asked EC and TJ who they wanted to play the most in this tournament, it was a unanimous Michigan State. Those two have an added incentive to win tomorrow.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: That was why Saturday was awesome. The panic button is gone. I am certain we will lose a gut wrenching heart breaker we should've won at some point this year...we're a young team. This is really uncharted waters for most of us. Speaking for myself, we haven't been basketball relevant in terms of winning since before I hit puberty. Smashing the panic button in the past, including last year, is a learned reaction based on literally over a decade of saying "this is the year" and having our dicks kicked out of our assholes every. single. season.

Seriously look back on the Jim Baron era and point to one thing we did that we can keep for ourselves and say...we did that. There's nothing there. "20 win seasons" sweet. NIT appearances. cool. Not one big win. Not a single one.

Finally we can move forward with the narrative that we're a young team, but finally a capable one.

With that capability comes a win tomorrow.
You're totally right Blue Man. The whole first half of the Nebraska game I was falling back into that "panic button" mindset when we werent hitting shots and didn't look so great. It made it feel that much more amazing when it all changed.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Very cool BFC
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Just saw two opening lines; Kansas -9, -10.
Last edited by section(105) 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Love seeing that kind of respect for the first time in a long time... I can't wait for tomorrow!!
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Saw us getting 9 points as well, LOVE the value on our side with that line. Might even be worth it to sprinkle a little on the Money Line as well!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Love the cover here; this team has the stuff to survive some punches thrown, rebound the ball to get back in it, make some stops, and be around at the finish, this of course with our guys not in foul trouble, make >65% free throws, and get off the bench points greater than Kansas....no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

In case anyone plays the RI daily numbers, I was watching the 98 game and the daily numbers came up and they were 2142 on the day we beat them in the NCAAT. I'm playing those numbers tomorrow.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I'm seeing Kansas -8 as the line
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE