EC Matthews: ESPN Co-Player of the Week

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

EC Matthews: ESPN Co-Player of the Week

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

It's nice to see EC (and Rhody) getting some love from Dickie V. on the weekly awards site! The more exposure the better. Very fitting that Henton claims the other half of the reward.

http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/stor ... api_public
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Re: EC Matthews: ESPN Co-Player of the Week

Unread post by Tom98 »

Definitely great publicity!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It must be because of their last names. :)

Look who is nowhere to be found after the biggest win in 15 years.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Running on the treadmill, not really paying attention- and then I hear the names Hurley, Martin, and Matthews. Nice shout out from Jay Williams on live scoreboard on ESPN2, naming Rhody as a team that has impressed him so far.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Introducing the #NoLoveTeam
URI's weekend hero E.C. Matthews is among Sean Farnham's players to watch
Updated: November 24, 2014, 6:44 PM ET
By Sean Farnham | ESPN Insider

Don't have a subscription……But anyone who does!!!!
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Here you go.

4. E.C. Matthews, Rhode Island (Sophomore, Guard, 6-5, 190)

Want the name of the best player in college basketball who 99 percent of the country had never heard of -- at least until his 26-point, 10-rebound performance in Saturday's upset of a ranked Nebraska team? It's without question E.C. Matthews. As a true freshman last season, Matthews had nine games in which he posted more than 20 points, including 32 against Duquesne. This past summer, he was invited to the adidas Nations event, an opportunity to compete against some of the best guards in the country, and Matthews shined. In fact, NBADraft.net labeled him "the surprise of the camp." But let Matthews' play -- and his expected big numbers -- be no surprise to you.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Mongo wrote: Want the name of the best player in college basketball who 99 percent of the country had never heard of -- at least until his 26-point, 10-rebound performance in Saturday's upset of a ranked Nebraska team?
For the first time in my life, I am part of the 1 percent.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The thing is, he's getting these awards and attention, and we all know here that he can, and will, play much better than he has in these first three games.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote:The thing is, he's getting these awards and attention, and we all know here that he can, and will, play much better than he has in these first three games.
Terrell will be a huge reason for that. The first 2 games, even the first half of Nebraska - EC thought he was the only person capable of scoring. Thanks to JT's coming out party - it's pretty clear there's another shooting/scoring option in the back court.

EC is most definitely a better player off the ball, and with a pass-first PG, and a legit other scoring option, he can relax the reigns and just play, instead of feeling like he has to do it all. Huge game for him tomorrow.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hard to knock EC at all after winning a bunch of awards for his play in the Nebraska game and dealing with an NBA defender for a lot of the night, but if I may be so bold as to offer a slight criticism: the ball stopped with EC too much, even in the second half when he was great otherwise. It doesn't hurt him getting his numbers, but it isn't good for the offense overall. I want EC to be aggressive on offense, especially with penetration, but I fear he is teetering on the edge of being a ball-stopping volume scorer. He is too good of an all-around player, and Dan is too good of a coach, for that to happen.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:Hard to knock EC at all after winning a bunch of awards for his play in the Nebraska game and dealing with an NBA defender for a lot of the night, but if I may be so bold as to offer a slight criticism: the ball stopped with EC too much, even in the second half when he was great otherwise. It doesn't hurt him getting his numbers, but it isn't good for the offense overall. I want EC to be aggressive on offense, especially with penetration, but I fear he is teetering on the edge of being a ball-stopping volume scorer. He is too good of an all-around player, and Dan is too good of a coach, for that to happen.
You're exactly right. When the ball has been hitting EC, he has been playing yo yo too much. The ball moves, the defense moves. The ball stops,yo yo starts, the defense resets. It's hard to criticize him because he's so good. But if the ball keeps moving, it will be even easier to get into the lane to both create for himself and others, and cut down on his turnovers.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Hard to knock EC at all after winning a bunch of awards for his play in the Nebraska game and dealing with an NBA defender for a lot of the night, but if I may be so bold as to offer a slight criticism: the ball stopped with EC too much, even in the second half when he was great otherwise. It doesn't hurt him getting his numbers, but it isn't good for the offense overall. I want EC to be aggressive on offense, especially with penetration, but I fear he is teetering on the edge of being a ball-stopping volume scorer. He is too good of an all-around player, and Dan is too good of a coach, for that to happen.
You're exactly right. When the ball has been hitting EC, he has been playing yo yo too much. The ball moves, the defense moves. The ball stops,yo yo starts, the defense resets. It's hard to criticize him because he's so good. But if the ball keeps moving, it will be even easier to get into the lane to both create for himself and others, and cut down on his turnovers.
Agree 100% - that's why I think JT hitting some big shots was huge to develop this scenario. EC at least knows he can depend on someone else to hit shots, so he can move around more and give up the ball.

He's going to do most of our scoring, but it will be a load off his shoulders to know he doesn't have to.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think there will be times when EC, as the go to guy, will have to force the action. That comes with the territory much like X last year. It's going to happen. Don't think he should be knocked for it.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

Blue Man wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Agree 100% - that's why I think JT hitting some big shots was huge to develop this scenario. EC at least knows he can depend on someone else to hit shots, so he can move around more and give up the ball.

He's going to do most of our scoring, but it will be a load off his shoulders to know he doesn't have to.
All true! I'm would bet that the coaching staff is on it. With EC getting all the attention, Kansas will be looking to shut him down. Do you think we will start seeing teams double team EC? That's when someone else has to be open and time to capitalize...
0 x
Baron_Ball_Survivor
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Baron_Ball_Survivor »

I feel that in the Nebraska game the way it was going forced him into a situation where he felt he needed to force it. That was a dog fight where every inch was fought for. In those situations I'd rather have EC force the issue and try to take the game over rather than be passive. Worst case scenario he takes the attention and loosens things up for others (despite turnovers)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with TP and others... EC has to start looking to playmake instead of trying to make every play. On that first play of OT he was doubled, forced a shot that got luckily blocked back to him and out of desperation hit Terrell who knocked down his first three. All the while Hassan was standing under the hoop all alone calling for the ball for what would have been an easy slam. EC needs to realize he is drawing attention and find the open man, we have other guys that can score and he will always be our #1 option.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Someone must hit the open jumper when EC has to kick it out. As we saw in the Neb game they doubled and tripled teamed him when he drove to the hoop. If we shoot like that against Kansas they will beat us by 20. There is little room for error against that team on a neutral court.

Must cut out the unforced silly turnovers and shoot over 70% from the line. Its a winnable game but also a game that could get away from us early because of our youth.
0 x