Dan Hurley Coach's Show 2016-17

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show Tuesday at 7pm - Mews Tavern

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

When it goes live can someone post the link?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Anyone from the board going tonight?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I'm making an effort to be there.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I will definitely be there. Who else is coming?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'll be listening online! Curious to hear what Dan has to say.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ATP, I was going to go, but I was in Hartford today and just got back.

Do us a favor if you can. Ask Dan about the offensive issues.

Not trying to tell him how to coach, mind you.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Haha. "Dan, what's your home address so I can order you that basketball offense playbook from Amazon.com? It's recommended by the KeaneyBlue coaching collective. "
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Interesting terms just thrown out by Dan saying they had too many "dead minutes" where guys were playing minutes and not coming away with anything positive in terms of points, assists, causing turnovers.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Everyone should be listening to this right now. Dan is basically answering everything that has been mentioned around here since the GT game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's the end result of poor offensive execution.

What I want to hear, is we're going to get rid of that 3 man weave which accomplishes nothing positive.

Attack the zone, like has been mentioned many times on here before.

I like your idea, Adam. However, Dan might not be amused by it. :lol:

Great! Will listen to the replay!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sounds like it may be Jarvis Garrett time very soon. Dan mentioned that its a bit of a tough spot but that he needs experience to get better and the only way to get him that experience is to throw him out there.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe Dan DOES read this board!

Hear hear!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't know that it for sure means starting, but more minutes seems very likely based on his comments. He is mentioning how good TJ has been to, so probably see him play more point as well.

Dan said "guys are competing this week to see who is starting the So Miss game because we're not happy with what we've seen..."
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:Everyone should be listening to this right now. Dan is basically answering everything that has been mentioned around here since the GT game.
Never got the damn app to work. Do they post the audio file somewhere? As a podcast maybe?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's nice to see he isn't sugar coating things. They see the same things we see and a lot more, they obviously aren't happy.

It will be interesting to see if there are any changes upcoming in the half court offensive sets.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:It's nice to see he isn't sugar coating things. They see the same things we see and a lot more, they obviously aren't happy.

It will be interesting to see if there are any changes upcoming in the half court offensive sets.
I think the changes needed are in the execution by the players. I would not expect them to change the offense they are running very drastically 5 games into a season with so many young guys.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:Everyone should be listening to this right now. Dan is basically answering everything that has been mentioned around here since the GT game.
Never got the damn app to work. Do they post the audio file somewhere? As a podcast maybe?
Hmm not sure, have never noticed it in the past but also can't say I have looked for it either.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I wouldn't expect major changes, no.

But the lack of court awareness by most of the guys is alarming. Not sure how much of that can be corrected in a hurry.

What CAN be improved, is the focus and concentration in the half court offense. Better and quicker passing, less turnovers.

We are very aggressive on defense. We're sleeping on offense.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I want to run on every opportunity we get. We have good athletes out there. Obviously our half court offense is struggling. Getting a few layups could change everything, including the confidence of the shooters in the half court offense.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show tonight 7pm @ Chelos Warwick

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ATPTourFan wrote:All the Dan Hurley Coach's Shows and Postgame shows are available here:

http://www.920whjj.com/media/podcast-ur ... asketball/
This TP Adam.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Our athletic ability is being severely compromised by playing a slow motion offense.

I know when Jarvis becomes more comfortable that our break will improve dramatically.

We do have to start trying to push the ball. Get everyone involved in the offense, not just the guards.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Can't get the link to work.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Our athletic ability is being severely compromised by playing a slow motion offense.

I know when Jarvis becomes more comfortable that our break will improve dramatically.

We do have to start trying to push the ball. Get everyone involved in the offense, not just the guards.
And we are rebounding the ball well on the defensive end. We need to run. Gil and Hassan run well for bigs too as trailers.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I listened to it. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Dan said he's gonna start playing Jarvis more and that he got a little "spooked" against Nebraska and Kansas and he lost some confidence. He attributes most of our struggles on the fact that our guards are young and the reason why TJ was so effective with driving in and making decisions is because he's got so much more experience. He seems certain things will improve as the season goes on. He also mentioned that TJ had been injury laden throughout the preseason and was only able to go full tilt until we opened against pace. Dan seems to be confident we're still going to be a good team. Love listening to him talk such a smart great guy. All those Hurleys are just such fantastic folks.
Gilvydas came on there and man does he remind me of some of my Scandinavian friends! Such a great guy! Dan was asking him questions and it was interesting. Asked him what was different from this year to last year and he said this years team has so much more passion and is very driven. (Or something like that) He said Jared Terrell is especially passionate. Which is no surpise.
I get the sense that the whole team is quite the positive bunch. That can go along way as a team and in life. But hopefully they aren't too nice and aren't afraid of kicking someone's ass!
The sky is very much intact.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I had a nice chat with Gilvydas last night. Congratulated him on his 1000th point and the "One Stay Slip" play Dan called to get him that nasty dunk in the Kansas game to reach the milestone.

He related to me and Bill Koch the challenges he faced as a young freshman playing his first games away from home. He said the freshman on the team will get more comfortable soon just as he did in his freshman season.

What a classy, thoughtful man Gilvydas is!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

All sounds pretty good.
Nice to know everyone seems confident
going forward.
Need to get Jarvis his mojo back. Maybe Terrell can lend him some?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Doesn't sound good for Biggie. Hurley talks about guys who didn't score and didn't get an assist -- that was Biggie AND Garrett. But he also says Garrett needs to play more. So you'd think Garrett's going to take minutes from Biggie. TJ and Garrett at PG. Sounds good to me.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Doesn't sound good for Biggie. Hurley talks about guys who didn't score and didn't get an assist -- that was Biggie AND Garrett. But he also says Garrett needs to play more. So you'd think Garrett's going to take minutes from Biggie. TJ and Garrett at PG. Sounds good to me.
I think most of us thought this was inevitable ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

So far Garrett and Biggie have played about the same minutes. It's a small sample, but Biggie has shown better shooting though that comparison is skewed by the many missed 3 pointers by Garrett whereas Biggie attempted only one. Garrett is the better ball handler and defender, he has less turnovers and steals the ball more than Minnis.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I would suspect they are all playing to the coach's script.
..............If so, there are at least two variables the coach can control.
1. having the right script
2. having the right guys out there to execute it.

From what I've seen, he is a really good game coach, and seems to have scouted opponents well. Now it's about developing the chemistry......the right cuts, the court vision, and continued working on shot selection.
The teams we have played have been good defensively.....yet our scoring average is about average.

We are awful close to being really good.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:So far Garrett and Biggie have played about the same minutes. It's a small sample, but Biggie has shown better shooting though that comparison is skewed by the many missed 3 pointers by Garrett whereas Biggie attempted only one. Garrett is the better ball handler and defender, he has less turnovers and steals the ball more than Minnis.
Like you said, small sample. Over time I believe Garret's shooting percentage will come up and the gap between them will be obvious even if you only look at the box score. By the eye test, though, it is already not close.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Dan repeatedly said they're working on two things: 1. taking care of the ball; 2. shot selection.
Makes sense. But I wonder if those two things are working against each other. Players seem afraid of driving into the lane because they could turn it over. How many times have you seen a pick and roll lead to a pass to the guy cutting to the basket? I'd say hardly ever.
So maybe he's developed this low-risk offensive strategy -- whether he meant to or not -- so what you get is guys passing the ball around the perimeter because that's safe. And then someone throws up a shot.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

High scoring teams always have lots of turnovers.
It's the nature of a running offense that takes a larger risk
and throws the ball around more.
You can have low turnovers like we had during Hurley's first year
by slowing everything to a crawl.
Is that what you want?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I want wins, and I don't care how we get them. Low scoring rock fight or high scoring end to end action, as long as we have more points than the other team at the end of the game I'm fine.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:High scoring teams always have lots of turnovers.
It's the nature of a running offense that takes a larger risk
and throws the ball around more.
You can have low turnovers like we had during Hurley's first year
by slowing everything to a crawl.
Is that what you want?
I think it was quite clear in my post that that's not what I prefer.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Of course I want wins, but I'd like it to be somewhat entertaining too.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Um, by "YOU" I meant anyone from coaches, to players,
to fans.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think it's already pretty clear that this team would be much better offensively if they would get out on the break and MOVE.

Standing still offense might work for less athletic, more experienced teams, which we certainly are not.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:Dan repeatedly said they're working on two things: 1. taking care of the ball; 2. shot selection.
Makes sense. But I wonder if those two things are working against each other. Players seem afraid of driving into the lane because they could turn it over. How many times have you seen a pick and roll lead to a pass to the guy cutting to the basket? I'd say hardly ever.
So maybe he's developed this low-risk offensive strategy -- whether he meant to or not -- so what you get is guys passing the ball around the perimeter because that's safe. And then someone throws up a shot.
Iggy,
Some observations from Orlando related to two of your comments:
Two passes that stood out to me in Orlando were by TJ when he hit Biruta for a thunderous dunk after he rolled down from the FT line and then again a similar pass to Martin for an easy basket down low after he rolled from the FT line.
TJ was also fearless to drive the lane for a layup or dish off. Jarelle also made some nice drives through the line demonstrating that fearlessness. Not much penetration from Biggie or from Jarvis as both tended to pass the ball more frequently around the perimeter. Oftentimes in Orlando we found outselves panicing because the Shot Clock was counting down and we did not get a shot off or we got off a low percentage shot - that happened in all 3 games.

I put together a spreadsheet of the Orlando Stats for TJ, Jarvis and Biggie. Summary points:
Minutes Played were similar. TJ and Biggie played the same 55 minutes, Jarvis played 43 minutes
None of the 3 attempted many shots. Combined FG's for the 3 games: TJ 3-5, Biggie 3-6, Jarvis 1-6
FT Results TJ drawing fouls and good FT Shooting: TJ 7-8, Biggie 2-3, Jarvis 1-2
Steals minimal for all 3: TJ 2, Biggie 1, Jarvis 0
Biggest difference between the 3 was in Assist - Turnover Ratio:
TJ = 10 Assists 1 Turnover = 10 Ratio
Biggie = 5 Assists 8 Turnovers = .6 Ratio
Jarvis = 2 Assists 6 Turnovers = .3 Ratio

Going by what has been mentioned in this thread about Dan wanting Jarvis to get more PT and for his PG to not be afraid to drive the lane and to go with the guy with Assists and with no Turnovers it would appear that either TJ or Jarvis gets the start against Southerm Miss.
My guess is TJ starts. His performance in Orlando earned him the start imho. 10 Assists, 1 Turnover in the 3 games. Intangible of Leadership was most evident with TJ. Others moved better off the ballwhen TJ had it. They knew he would drive the lane, pass off and in general make something happen - he did not settle to pass the ball around the horn. TJ's defense is best of the 3 at this time as well. He also has the experience and does not get rattled. TJ also has optimism, will to win and refuses to lose - the other players sense that from TJ and it tends to rub off on them. Going into battle I would want TJ by my side and the others feel that too.

On the other hand several here saw Jarvis play in prep school numerous times and have high expectations for him. I did not see him in prep school so can only go by what I have seen. Dan could go ahead and start him now and let him sink or swim. It would be better to to that NOW as opposed to once the all important A10 Season starts. So I would be ok if Jarvis starts now - see what he can do, how the others respond to his leadership and style............less pressure now than once the A10 season starts. Inthe big scheme of things the PC game is important to us fans, etc but the A10 Season is the most critical to post season play opportunities. We need to know who our PG is by the start of the A10.

Another long shot for a starting slot could be JR. He shot the 3 ball pretty well, not afraid to take it. He also rebounded descently and was not afraid to drive the lane. If Dan wants to make some changes and shake things up JR could surprise. Long shot, but who knows.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show Monday @7 Dohertys Ale House War

Not sure if I can make it up to Doherty's Ale House in Warwick Monday night at 7pm, but it should be much easier for many fans to get to that more central RI location on a Monday night.

SHOW UP!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show Monday @7 Dohertys Ale House War

Received this email today:

Rhody fans don't miss tomorrow's Dan Hurley Coaches Show Powered by Miller Lite -- Great Beer, Great Responsibility. 21 Means 21.

Join Coach Hurley and company from the Firehouse Room at Doherty's Ale House in Warwick as they recap Rhody's HUGE 75-43 victory over Southern Miss and look ahead to the Rams' showdown with instate rival PC this Wednesday night at the Dunk!

#RISE
#BEATPC
#RIVALRY

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Coach's Show TONIGHT@7 Dohertys Ale House War

So who is going? Should be a good atmosphere after a great road win and the PCI game just two days away.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I will be listening
0 x
Bee311
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Bee311 »

Is this on B101?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bee311 wrote:Is this on B101?
News Radio 920

http://www.iheart.com/live/news-radio-9 ... oplay=true
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I didnt realize how many health issues TJ had during the offseason. He said he is just getting back into shape and wasn't cleared until right before the first game.

By the way just listening to him talk there is no doubt this kid is going to be a coach one day (if he wants to be).
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He said he does want to get into coaching when he's done playing.

Hell we could use him starting next season.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:He said he does want to get into coaching when he's done playing.

Hell we could use him starting next season.
Ha yeah literally 10 seconds after I posted that they asked him about coaching.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I could definitely see TJ as a great coach one day. He's very poised and a natural leader. High basketball IQ. Nice to hear Steve and Don's kind words about him.
0 x