Three Point Guard Lineup being tried in the NBA

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BuiltRamTough 2005
Frenchy Tomlin

Three Point Guard Lineup being tried in the NBA

Unread post by BuiltRamTough 2005 »

I know there are a lot of concerns with the amount of minutes at the point guard between EC, Jarvis, JT, and TJ. But it looks like the Suns are now toying with a three point guard lineup and while the sample size is small they are seeing the positives.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/11/03/suns-t ... -tiny-ball
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Three Point Guard Lineup being tried in the NBA

Unread post by Blue Man »

This is pretty much the era they play in now. Gone are the Ewing's, Rollins', Shaq's, Mourning's...it's not a "big" man's game any more. The play of basketball has evolved (or devolved, depending your POV) to a skill (or cry about contact and get to the line) game that doesn't see any banging below the hoop or in the lane, and is played fast and dependent on mid-range scoring, rather than the post play of your front court.

It's much less common now to see a 1st round full of 4 year players, so there's no learning how to play in a half court system, it's more just organized street ball where individuals try to make plays.

Unless you're the spurs and popovich and you still know how to play basketball.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:This is pretty much the era they play in now. Gone are the Ewing's, Rollins', Shaq's, Mourning's...it's not a "big" man's game any more. The play of basketball has evolved (or devolved, depending your POV) to a skill (or cry about contact and get to the line) game that doesn't see any banging below the hoop or in the lane, and is played fast and dependent on mid-range scoring, rather than the post play of your front court.

It's much less common now to see a 1st round full of 4 year players, so there's no learning how to play in a half court system, it's more just organized street ball where individuals try to make plays.

I agree with most of that except the mid range game. I think with all of the cameras and analytics these days, you see teams trying to either get to the hoop (and draw fouls) or shoot open threes (especially in the corners where they are closer). It's all about points per spot on the floor. Even wide open, 12-18 footers are about the worst shot you can take. That's why you see good defenses funnel players to the elbow and elbow extended for looks.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Blue Man wrote:This is pretty much the era they play in now. Gone are the Ewing's, Rollins', Shaq's, Mourning's...it's not a "big" man's game any more. The play of basketball has evolved (or devolved, depending your POV) to a skill (or cry about contact and get to the line) game that doesn't see any banging below the hoop or in the lane, and is played fast and dependent on mid-range scoring, rather than the post play of your front court.

I agree with most of that except the mid range game. I think with all of the cameras and analytics these days, you see teams trying to either get to the hoop (and draw fouls) or shoot open threes (especially in the corners where they are closer). It's all about points per spot on the floor. Even wide open, 12-18 footers are about the worst shot you can take. That's why you see good defenses funnel players to the elbow and elbow extended for looks.
Yeah I thought about that for a sec after I posted and this is the proper correction. There really isn't a midrange game any more. Sad but true.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The Celtics have played Rondo, Bradley and Smart at the same time.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

While this is kind of new for the NBA, I think it's a pretty regular occurrence in the college game, given that there are way more teams and even less size to go around. Like it's not unusual for college position sizes to be a bit "lower" than the pros - i.e. A 4 in the NBA will play 5 in college, and you might have two guys in the 5'10" to 6'2" range as your 1 and 2, when typically in the NBA a shooting guard is closer to 6'6" than 6'0". If I recall correctly, Villanova even made the NCAA tournament a few years ago with a four-guard lineup.
0 x
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

SGreenwell wrote: If I recall correctly, Villanova even made the NCAA tournament a few years ago with a four-guard lineup.
This was the team with Randy Foye, Kyle Lowry, and Allan Ray's eyeball.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The Mizzou (2)seed four guard lineup like 2-3 years ago in Haith's first year bombed my bracket.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

When I was at URI I had an intramural basketball team as a Freshman and I played a 3-2 zone...3 guards and what I called the "twin towers" underneath (little did I know what would happen that coming year...2001). One guy was 6' 10" and the other was 6' 8". They dominated the glass. You could say I did some decent last minute recruiting that year...haha. We went to the championship game and lost in double overtime in Keaney. Oh the good ole days.
I like the 3 guard system, but in my opinion you can only do it with the right kind of players.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

3 dynamic guards, that can dribble, shoot and pass at a high level is the best combo for college hoops. Maybe not immediately but Garrett, Terrell and EC seem to all have that potential.

That Nova team was crazy b/c they went 4 guards, I think Mike Nardi may have been the 4th? Loved me some Allen Ray.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

My concern with the guards we have still is outside shooting. The only one I know is a real threat from behind the arc is butler. EC is solid, but with so much zone we need guys to shoot over the top to open space for EC and Terrell to do what they do best in getting to the rim. Hopefully Jarvis is as good as advertised as a shooter, and the other guys from last year have improved significantly.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah, I don't see the three point shooting being very effective again this year. I'd say it's likely that we will improve though. We're going to be more fast paced so we should get some sexy transition threes to go down, more often than we have in recent years. Matt Butler lost twenty pounds or so from last year I think and he also was playing last year after being injured his senior year of high school. There's a chance he improves a good bit. Hey he could take minutes from Jarrelle if he can come in and bust a zone or two. I can't imagine seeing those two that often though. E.C, JG, BM, TJ, and JT (woohoo! Initial party!) are gonna make the show go. As long as our offense is fluid and effectively fast then we should be alright with the threes.
0 x