Brainstorming about updating campus area

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Brainstorming about updating campus area

Unread post by RF1 »

Speaking of the South County Bike Path URI spur, I just rode it yesterday. Started at its beginning at Flagg Road behind Brookside. Once again I got as far as Meade and then had to detour. Every instance I have tried to use this trail, the section that runs through Meade was inaccessible as the gates at either end were locked. This path should never have been designed with that route if the plan was keep the gates locked all the time.

Was pleasantly surprised to find that the path was extended in Narragansett now going all around the elementary school ending at the senior Center behind Sprague Field. Will be even happier when the last leg though the South County Museum grounds gets done giving an off road route to the town beach.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The elementary school extension was in existence last summer

URI to Narragansett is a wonderful ride

I enjoy seeing the ever-changing graffiti at the tunnel. Just saw a guy spray painting who had excellent talent this past weekend.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago The elementary school extension was in existence last summer

I enjoy seeing the ever-changing graffiti at the tunnel. Just saw a guy spray painting who had excellent talent this past weekend.
I didn't do it last summer as I tried to keep away from the busy paved bike paths for pandemic reasons. Did more biking in my local neighborhood as well as some non paved trails (with hard packed surfaces) in less populated areas that have far less users. Two such trails over the border in CT can be accessed in Willimantic - the Air Line and Hop River Trails. Both are a pretty long (around 20 miles) and see far less use than the RI paved trails. An added bonus is Willibrew is just a block from where you get on.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago The elementary school extension was in existence last summer

I didn't do it last summer as I tried to keep away from the busy paved bike paths for pandemic reasons. Did more biking in my local neighborhood as well as some non paved trails (with hard packed surfaces) in less populated areas that have far less users. Two such trails over the border in CT can be accessed in Willimantic - the Air Line and Hop River Trails. Both are a pretty long (around 20 miles) and see far less use than the RI paved trails. An added bonus is Willibrew is just a block from where you get on.
I wish they would complete Washington Secondary from Coventry to the Connecticut border - only need about 4 miles to complete. It was once in the budget but got reassigned during Covid I believe.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

I wish they would complete Washington Secondary from Coventry to the Connecticut border - only need about 4 miles to complete. It was once in the budget but got reassigned during Covid I believe.
I think the delay issue there relates to a Coventry bridge needing a total overhaul. I hope it doesn't end up like the Barrington and Warren bike path bridges on the East Bay Trail. The state for years neglected these bridges until the point where they had to be completely closed down over a year ago. From the looks of it, no work even seems to have been done since then. Must detour over to the nearby road bridges. The road bridges however present a challenge as the sidewalk portion is not really wide enough for two way traffic and the road shoulders there are narrow as well. Given these bridges were just built a few years ago, it would have made sense to design them with slightly wider sidewalks. Probably would not have added significant cost. Could then have entirely abandoned the old RR bike bridges when they reached their end life or at minimum given another decent option while they were being repaired.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think the delay issue there relates to a Coventry bridge needing a total overhaul. I hope it doesn't end up like the Barrington and Warren bike path bridges on the East Bay Trail. The state for years neglected these bridges until the point where they had to be completely closed down over a year ago. From the looks of it, no work even seems to have been since then. Must detour over to the nearby road bridges. The road bridges however present a challenge as the sidewalk portion is not really wide enough for two way traffic and the road shoulders there are narrow as well. Given these bridges were just built a few years ago, it would have made sense to design them with slightly wider sidewalks. Probably would not have added significant cost. Could then have entirely abandoned the old RR bike bridges when they reached their end life or at minimum given another decent option while they were being repaired.
Funny timing of our discussion....

Here is an article in today's promo about the East Bay Bike Path Bridges

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 602002002/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Two road construction projects are starting this week:

"Please be advised that road construction projects along Upper College Road and Fraternity Circle are due to begin this week. Both construction projects are expected to last into September and may cause temporary road closures or traffic delays.

The Fraternity Circle North project may cause temporary road closures or traffic delays along Quarry Road down to Keaney Road. Most of the work will be on the north side of the roadway.

The Upper College Road project will start with the removal of streetlights from Route 138 to the Fortin Road intersection later this week. This could result in lane closures. Flaggers and police will direct traffic during construction. As part of this project, Lot 3 (Tucker House Lot) will also be closed beginning next week. You may wish to consider taking alternate routes such as Old North Road or Lower College Road."

The Upper College Road project will see the .7 miles between Route 138 and Flagg Road converted into a complete street design. The travel lanes will be narrowed, there will be on-road bicycle lanes, wider sidewalks separated from the road by a narrow landscape buffer, lighting, and improved crosswalks
Pages 74-76 from the 2018 transportation master plan should give you a good idea of what Upper College Road will look like when reconstruction is complete

https://web.uri.edu/planning/files/Tran ... h-2018.pdf
Thanks for providing this info RR2.

I have seen URI Maintenance Trucks on Upper College Trimming Trees the past week. Also National Grid has had trucks and workers on Upper College the past two weeks.

Traffic is light on campus as many students chose not to go to summer school (Covid) and it's summer anyway which is normally much lighter.

I love the plans for Upper College Road. I'm hoping that the large trees on the right side (Alumni Center side) are saved. The proposed grass space between the Bike Lanes and the Sidewalks is a nice touch as I view in the drawings. The elimination of parking on Upper College road is a smart idea. This enables the positioning of the two bicycle lanes without having to physically widening Upper College Road from Campus Road to 138 - it appears. Wide sidewalks are a wonderful idea as well. Not sure if there is enough space from Campus Road to Fortin Road to enable the 2 Bicycle lanes - but I love the Bicycle plans overall. More bike racks all around campus will be nice and will encourage more and more students, faculty, staff and visitors to ride bicycles to and from campus.

The overall plan to reduce automobile traffic on campus, have more off campus parking and shuttles, encourage more walking and bicycling is good to read.

The Bike Path is fantastic as one can bicycle from URI to the Train Station, Peace Dale, Wakefield and Narragansett. I've done the ride many, many times. Glad to see the University providing bicycle lanes on campus. The plans for Flagg Road look great.

The concept of automated transportation from Campus to the Kingston Train station is phenomenal - hope to see that become a reality one day.

There are multiple concepts provided in the appendix for Upper College Road and for Flagg Road so I am not sure which of the concepts was decided upon.

I have seen students posing for pictures at the entrance to URI from 138 to Upper College Road at the University of Rhode Island Entrance sign. This is a hilly section and can be distracting to drivers seeing the students posing by the sign. This is already one of the higher accident intersections of the University. It would be good to have a URI Monument/Sign for posing in a safer place, similar to the Ram at the Visitors Center where I see many pictures being taken.

Enjoyed reading the plans. Good stuff.
As best I can tell from the designs (assuming they stay with those) it appears the trees will be part of the green buffer between the bike lanes and new, bigger sidewalks. I'd imagine if they couldn't keep those they would have been taken down already instead of just trimmed. Looking at page 74 it appears they will be going with 5 foot sidewalks instead of the normal 6 to allow for bike lanes on each side of Upper College.

I don't think the plans in this for Flagg Road are happening though I could be wrong. My understanding is they already made the changes they are going to with Flagg
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Someone should spraypaint, "have an excellent"
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Removing sidewalk on Upper College Road began today on Friday. Pictures are in front of President’s house

Street lights are in process of being removed this week. They will be replaced with new lights based on what workers told me
Gas line stubs for some homes are being installed on Upper College Road so that this is done in advance - don’t want to break up sidewalks and streets in future years.
Trees were trimmed back from street last week.

660712D8-0EE6-4993-B42F-DA9BBE65ACF3.jpeg
1391EF46-1286-44E5-9DA6-E4881902EB04.jpeg
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Thank you for those pictures and that information. This looks like it's going to be quite the project!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

https://www.uri.edu/news/2021/06/work-b ... 00YLqtJiC4

"The project calls for the reconstruction and realignment of Upper College Road from Route 138 north to Fortin Road, including new sidewalks, granite curbing and lighting; wider sidewalks, crosswalks, and speed tables between Campus Avenue and Fortin Road; and a contiguous bike lane in both directions. In addition, new campus wayfinding signs, and security and parking system amenities are part of the project.

The section of the road from Fortin Road north to Flagg Road will be milled (ground up), and repaved. New road striping includes markings for the new bike lane on both sides of the road, which will connect to Flagg Road, to which bike lanes were added in summer 2020. Flagg Road links to the URI Bike Path Spur behind the Brookside Apartment complex.

'This summer, between Route 138 and Fortin Road, you will see the removal of existing sidewalks, curbing, street lights, signs, asphalt and associated features,” Burke said. “Prior to September’s fall semester opening, temporary street lighting will be placed at appropriate intersections. Permanent street lighting should be on site and operational by the month of October.'

The Fortin Road to Flagg Road portion of the project will include new ramps for those with disabilities and is expected to be completed prior to the September start of classes."
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Speaking of the South County Bike Path URI spur, I just rode it yesterday. Started at its beginning at Flagg Road behind Brookside. Once again I got as far as Meade and then had to detour. Every instance I have tried to use this trail, the section that runs through Meade was inaccessible as the gates at either end were locked. This path should never have been designed with that route if the plan was keep the gates locked all the time.

Was pleasantly surprised to find that the path was extended in Narragansett now going all around the elementary school ending at the senior Center behind Sprague Field. Will be even happier when the last leg though the South County Museum grounds gets done giving an off road route to the town beach.
Gates at both ends of the bike path at Meade Field have been open for the past week.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Speaking of the South County Bike Path URI spur, I just rode it yesterday. Started at its beginning at Flagg Road behind Brookside. Once again I got as far as Meade and then had to detour. Every instance I have tried to use this trail, the section that runs through Meade was inaccessible as the gates at either end were locked. This path should never have been designed with that route if the plan was keep the gates locked all the time.
That was always a poorly planned design, which seems to serve no purpose other than to shoehorn it into the Brookside project. It keeps the Meade East stands locked into the current footprint even though they need to be expanded and it made more sense to have the bike hub at Dorr or Ellery for greater campus access
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Photos of work on Upper College Road

Drainage/sewer pipes relocated
Wood to protect trees
New Granite curbs being installed
Street lights removed
3AEDD0F5-947F-4D7C-97A0-F9F1651F5E80.jpeg
E35D730B-F99C-4E4C-AA2E-8C8723437B46.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That was always a poorly planned design, which seems to serve no purpose other than to shoehorn it into the Brookside project. It keeps the Meade East stands locked into the current footprint even though they need to be expanded and it made more sense to have the bike hub at Dorr or Ellery for greater campus access
The gates have stayed open for the summer, not sure how long that will continue but it’s nice to have. An easy fix would be to move the fence from the right side of the bike path to the left - about 12 to 15 feet.
The positioning of the path so close to the East stands could pose expansion/modification issues in the future but I know of no such plans.

If bike path gates stay open and access to Meade Field remains then I’m happy.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Lets hope there's an arborist on board or those trees are gonzo. Excited about the finished work though.
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

My boss took this pic a couple of weeks ago:
Attachments
rhody bike path.jpg
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago My boss took this pic a couple of weeks ago:
This is where the path diverts off to URI. Coming from URI a right takes you to the Kingston Train Station while a left goes to Peace dale, Wakefield and Narragansett.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago My boss took this pic a couple of weeks ago:
I walk past this almost every day
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I have to be honest, I didn't really think about the Kingston Free Library when thinking about the Upper College Road redo.

https://www.independentri.com/news/arti ... beafc.html

I was pretty sympathetic to the library until the end of the article. So they think we should redo the plans for Upper College Road to make up for the one spot on Upper College Road they're losing, thinks South Kingstown should force us to continue letting them use 6 spaces in the graduate housing lot we've let them borrow, and spits all over the work did to get a working pedestrian light for people to cross from the church to the library? All while not doing anything to pursue the property behind the building for additional parking because that just seems super hard? Whatever then
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Not really an easy solution there. I don't remember the terrain exactly over there, but looking at the overhead map - Couldn't you make a small parking lot by clearing the trees between the church and the library? I think a lot there would actually be good, since the busiest times for a church (Saturday and Sunday, some night time masses) probably don't overlap with the library.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Googlemaps is off on the pin placement there. The library is at 2605 Kingstown Road. It's actually the building right on the intersection that's directly across the street from the church and the University of Rhode Island sign
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Kingston Free Library is in the old brown building with the tower diagonally across from the white Kingston Congregational Church on Kingstown Road. It was built in 1775 (later much modified in 1876) as the Kings County Courthouse. Later renamed when the county name was changed to honor George Washington. It was the seat of the county up until a new courthouse was built closer to the train station (now a performing arts center). This building was also one of the five RI statehouses back in the early 1800's when the general assembly rotated between the county seats (Providence, Newport, Bristol, Kent (EG), and Washington (Kingston).

The small granite building next to the library at the corner of Upper College and Kingstown Roads was the county records office and was specifically built of stone to resist fire and sited to be next to the courthouse.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The Kingston Free Library is in the old brown building with the tower diagonally across from the white Kingston Congregational Church on Kingstown Road. It was built in 1775 (later much modified in 1876) as the Kings County Courthouse. Later renamed when the county name was changed to honor George Washington. It was the seat of the county up until a new courthouse was built closer to the train station (now a performing arts center). This building was also one of the five RI statehouses back in the early 1800's when the general assembly rotated between the county seats (Providence, Newport, Bristol, Kent (EG), and Washington (Kingston).

The small granite building next to the library at the corner of Upper College and Kingstown Roads was the county records office and was specifically built of stone to resist fire and sited to be next to the courthouse.

If you look at the granite post to the right of the front door there is a description of George Washington having stopped in “Little Rest” on his way to Newport.

Pretty amazing history in Rhode Island and Kingston.

C532AE0A-6F2D-4069-8105-AD9C7A0C1F20.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Googlemaps is off on the pin placement there. The library is at 2605 Kingstown Road. It's actually the building right on the intersection that's directly across the street from the church and the University of Rhode Island sign
The library will lose 1 of the 3 spots on Upper College Road. Keep the 1 spot by the back entrance plus the handicapped spot for 4 total spots.
Currently they have 5 plus the 6 across the street for 11. So a 64% reduction from 11 to 4 spots. Ouch.

The 6 spots in Graduate Housing across Upper College Road have been provided to the library for a long time. These 6 spots are located pretty far from the overall Graduate housing spots. Seems to me that there are plenty of spots for Graduate housing. There is also plenty of room to add more parking spots in Graduate housing.

Those Graduate housing parking spots and the Grad housing buildings haven’t changed for 50 years.

Why URI would want to take those 6 spots from the Library is baffling to me.

I’m a member of the Library too, so maybe prejudiced.

Hope this gets resolved. It’s a wonderful library.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Upper College Road
Some Sidewalks getting ready to pour concrete
New Granite Curbs installed

C5DFA0FE-8A29-4B08-AEA2-B8C41D054B7D.jpeg
6BF35E17-DC1B-457C-B172-B0A2E7E024BE.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Started pouring cement for sidewalks today on Upper College Road. Moving along at a good pace.

Plains Road and West Alumni Project also moving quickly.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Plains Road and West Alumni grading project moving quickly.
Sidewalk preparation work underway along West Alumni with Granite curbs.
5B2B3B95-9C04-4AD4-8BFC-6F021946C3DD.jpeg
6A46E7D5-8389-442A-AAFA-20ACCA1FC5DE.jpeg
96AA9A8C-4859-4100-ABB8-09D21FFE93CA.jpeg
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

seems like they could have found a better place to put this instead of tearing un a nice field.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Whats happening at the west alumni grading project?
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Whats happening at the west alumni grading project?
No confirmation, but I believe it is this project:

URI Mobility Hub

The Governor recommends $8.8 million in financing for a new transit hub at the URI Kingston campus. Of that total, $7.0 million is federal funding from a Federal Transit Administration discretionary grant program. The RIPTA award was announced in November 2019. The RI Capital Plan Fund contributes $850,000. URI is contributing $400,000 bond proceeds through the RI Health and Educational Building Corporation in addition to land for the project site. The remaining $500,000 is in the form of RI Highway Maintenance Account proceeds that would finance the purchase of additional vehicles to expand public transit in South County.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

OBRAM wrote: 2 years ago seems like they could have found a better place to put this instead of tearing un a nice field.
Honest question, but assuming it's the mobility hub, where? As best I can tell that field is rarely used, especially compared to ones closer to the softball and baseball fields. The service sector is jammed up, and you want it at that corner of campus due to the relative remoteness and proximity to the train station. Seems like that was the best option available, but I'd be open to others
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This area was largely unused I beleive, except for the annual "oozball" (volleyball in the mud).
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Upper College Road
Bricks between new sidewalk and Upper College road being installed up to Fortin Road. Very nice look.

711D08C7-B4D5-479C-842E-AD83326ECF29.jpeg
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The school reversed course and will now continue to allow Kingston Free Library visitors to continue to use some of its parking spaces.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The school reversed course and will now continue to allow Kingston Free Library visitors to continue to use some of its parking spaces.
4 of the 6 in the grad student parking area. All 6 are together so they will need to be individually marked 4 for library and 2 for URI. Strange.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Upper College Road
Bricks between new sidewalk and Upper College road being installed up to Fortin Road. Very nice look.

711D08C7-B4D5-479C-842E-AD83326ECF29.jpeg
Maybe because I had something else in my head, and thought where the brick is would be landscaping, but I'm not a fan. At least it's still an improvement over previous conditions
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

So its the same as before, but the paver/brick pattern just rated 90 degrees.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Whats happening at the west alumni grading project?

URI Mobility Hub

The Governor recommends $8.8 million in financing for a new transit hub at the URI Kingston campus. Of that total, $7.0 million is federal funding from a Federal Transit Administration discretionary grant program. The RIPTA award was announced in November 2019. The RI Capital Plan Fund contributes $850,000. URI is contributing $400,000 bond proceeds through the RI Health and Educational Building Corporation in addition to land for the project site. The remaining $500,000 is in the form of RI Highway Maintenance Account proceeds that would finance the purchase of additional vehicles to expand public transit in South County.
So I was wrong, it's going to be a 415 spot parking lot with solar panels. No idea where the Mobility Hub will be located

https://rhodycigar.com/2021/11/18/uri-t ... rking-lot/
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

URI Mobility Hub

So I was wrong, it's going to be a 415 spot parking lot with solar panels. No idea where the Mobility Hub will be located

https://rhodycigar.com/2021/11/18/uri-t ... rking-lot/
Will people be able to plug their electric cars into the solar panels?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Interesting question. I got the idea from the article that it's just going into the National Grid system, but I wonder if something like that is possible
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting question. I got the idea from the article that it's just going into the National Grid system, but I wonder if something like that is possible
I'm not really sure why you would want to do it. A solar panel could feed into the grid for all of the daylight hours. Plus, you might want to charge your car on a rainy day. Best to keep them separate functions, as opposed to lumping them together.

Also, FWIW - Out here in energy-crazy Texas, there are tons of electric car charging stations. Yeah, you'd expect to see them in Houston and Austin, and their suburb areas, but I saw a bunch even in La Grange and cow country, on a recent trip. I remember covering an East Greenwich town council or zoning board meeting around 2010 to 2015ish, where the idea of having them at a shopping plaza being built seemed crazy, but the install must be pretty easy, from how widespread they are now.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Panels/installation can be very expensive, lots of up front costs.
0 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Hotel ? Re: Brainstorming about updating campus area

Unread post by OBRAM »

Does anyone have any update on the status of the Hotel on Upper College Road?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Hotel ? Re: Brainstorming about updating campus area

OBRAM wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone have any update on the status of the Hotel on Upper College Road?
Pipe dream?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Hotel ? Re: Brainstorming about updating campus area

OBRAM wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone have any update on the status of the Hotel on Upper College Road?
From two months ago in the 2023 capital budget thread:

"It looks like the Upper College Road multiuse development is either off the table or the University has done all the planning and design work necessary but is not going forward with anything at this time."

For several years in the capital budgets they had money set aside for this project. For 2022, the capital budget for the idea said:

"The Governor recommends $1.6 million total from university funds in FY 2022 and FY 2023 for the planning and design of a mixed-use commercial development on the east side of Upper College Road. The project entails the leasing of university property to private entities that will build and manage various facilities best suited to create a retail and residential “Main Street” destination, potentially including a hotel, apartments, restaurants, and shops."

Then nothing about it in the 2023 budget. So either they've accomplished everything they need to do at this time or it's off the table. If it's off the table it could be because they found there wasn't enough land to do what they want, the project wasn't really feasible for other reasons, or the shift in University leadership changed the vision for what to do with that land. Could be anything really
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So.... basically, what I said.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

A hotel is definitely needed. I would have thought a hotel on campus would be a home run for the hotel itself, with almost no competition.
2 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Not sure where the funding is coming from or if this is part of a future bond question, but it appears we're going to start renovating buildings on the Quad between July 2025 and July 2032:

"The University of Rhode Island is planning to renovate a number of historic quad buildings on its South Kingstown campus. Phase 1 will provide restoration of Edwards Hall, East Hall and Washburn Hall, which were erected between 1909 and 1928; exterior improvements on Bliss and Ranger Halls; and an enabling renovation of Morrill Hall. Construction is expected to start in July 2025 and be completed by July 2032. The project is valued at $50 million."

https://www.enr.com/articles/54266-puls ... ne-13-2022

Years ago this was a proposed bond question that never made it to the ballot. Not sure how much exterior work needs to be done on Bliss and Ranger, Bliss had a lot of work done to it when the engineering complex was done and Ranger has had a lot of work done in their recent and current renovations. I'm glad to see we're putting in the necessary funding for these buildings
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Not sure where the funding is coming from or if this is part of a future bond question, but it appears we're going to start renovating buildings on the Quad between July 2025 and July 2032:

"The University of Rhode Island is planning to renovate a number of historic quad buildings on its South Kingstown campus. Phase 1 will provide restoration of Edwards Hall, East Hall and Washburn Hall, which were erected between 1909 and 1928; exterior improvements on Bliss and Ranger Halls; and an enabling renovation of Morrill Hall. Construction is expected to start in July 2025 and be completed by July 2032. The project is valued at $50 million."

https://www.enr.com/articles/54266-puls ... ne-13-2022

Years ago this was a proposed bond question that never made it to the ballot. Not sure how much exterior work needs to be done on Bliss and Ranger, Bliss had a lot of work done to it when the engineering complex was done and Ranger has had a lot of work done in their recent and current renovations. I'm glad to see we're putting in the necessary funding for these buildings
So now I'm seeing that they're looking to put the East, Washburn, Edwards, and Morrill renovations as a November 2026 bond question worth $96.3 million. with a bond question two years later worth $107.9 million for renovation of Quinn, Davis, and the interior of Roosevelt. Either $444 or $520.65 million in bond questions over the next four elections. The $76.65 million life sciences building they're proposing, they're hoping ARPA funding will cover it, but if not it goes up on the 2024 ballot with the athletics complex.

God, I hope all of this goes through, but I'm VERY skeptical, especially when it comes to the athletics complex
0 x