Brainstorming about updating campus area

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Brainstorming about updating campus area

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I did a quick search for them, they have a LinkedIn page which says they have ~10 employees.

Check out their professional website: http://marleyproperties.com/ :roll:

I'm actually surprised the lot in the Emporium was repaved within the past year. It was like offroading before.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago I did a quick search for them, they have a LinkedIn page which says they have ~10 employees.

Check out their professional website: http://marleyproperties.com/ :roll:

I'm actually surprised the lot in the Emporium was repaved within the past year. It was like offroading before.
Holy christ, that looks like a Geocities page from 1999.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This conversation led me to do a search and discover that DP Dough is actually still in business. Not at URI of course, but plenty of other locations still around the country.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI should do all it can to create a village type setting on Upper College Road between the new visitor center and Rte 138. Make it fit in as an offshoot of Kingston Village by having a quaint New England style. With URI's connections to CVS, try to get them (once their Emporium lease is up) to anchor this district along with the proposed URI hotel. Get a decent restaurant or two. Put the buildings close to the road to give it a small village feel. Minimal street parking with most parking behind the buildings (there is a good amount of undeveloped land to the east). Build a better retail area which will attract tenants and let the Emporium further whither away and decrease in value (then scoop it up later for a song). URI is at a disadvantage not having a decent district like this near campus. It is why schools such as UConn and Mt. Holyoke have built their own.

Just imagine driving down Rte 138 through historic Kingston and then turning onto a vibrant Upper College Road which then leads you straight to the gates of URI.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago This conversation led me to do a search and discover that DP Dough is actually still in business. Not at URI of course, but plenty of other locations still around the country.
Kids today will not understand.
5 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago URI should do all it can to create a village type setting on Upper College Road between the new visitor center and Rte 138. Make it fit in as an offshoot of Kingston Village by having a quaint New England style. With URI's connections to CVS, try to get them (once their Emporium lease is up) to anchor this district along with the proposed URI hotel. Get a decent restaurant or two. Put the buildings close to the road to give it a small village feel. Minimal street parking with most parking behind the buildings (there is a good amount of undeveloped land to the east). Build a better retail area which will attract tenants and let the Emporium further whither away and decrease in value (then scoop it up later for a song). URI is at a disadvantage not having a decent district like this near campus. It why schools such as UConn and Mt. Holyoke have built their own.

Just imagine driving down Rte 138 through historic Kingston and then turning onto a vibrant Upper College Road which then leads you straight to the gates of URI.
This is an excellent idea. Who do we need to talk to in order to get this done? :)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I can't believe the Emporium was sold in 2004 for $5.4 million and the University didn't buy it then. What a blunder by the Carothers administration.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I can't believe the Emporium was sold in 2004 for $5.4 million and the University didn't buy it then. What a blunder by the Carothers administration.
Ownership History
Owner Sale Price Certificate Book & Page Instrument Sale Date
EMPORIUM EQUITY PARTNERS $3,150,000 1 475/ 20 09/29/1992
NEWMARK INVESTMENTS INC $3,100,000 451/ 464 03/23/1992
FROM ADMIN $0 260/ 76 07/03/1986
FROM ADMIN $0 157/ 168 12/31/1981

http://gis.vgsi.com/SouthKingstownRI2/P ... px?Pid=804

Not so per SK Tax Assessor Database.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Those were the owners before Marley. Marley bought it in April 2004 for the $5.475 million
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I can't believe the Emporium was sold in 2004 for $5.4 million and the University didn't buy it then. What a blunder by the Carothers administration.
Ownership History
Owner Sale Price Certificate Book & Page Instrument Sale Date
EMPORIUM EQUITY PARTNERS $3,150,000 1 475/ 20 09/29/1992
NEWMARK INVESTMENTS INC $3,100,000 451/ 464 03/23/1992
FROM ADMIN $0 260/ 76 07/03/1986
FROM ADMIN $0 157/ 168 12/31/1981

http://gis.vgsi.com/SouthKingstownRI2/P ... px?Pid=804

Not so per SK Tax Assessor Database.
Look just above that - The last sale was in April 2004, for $5.4M. Vision displays things somewhat confusingly sometimes. The items below that are the previous transactions, although for most communities, there is usually a cut off "date" in the 60s, 70s or 80s that they don't bother include. (i.e. Anything before Jan. 1, 1974 will just come up as a property transfer for $0.)
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I could understand them not really wanting to get into the commercial real estate game, and maybe they just thought that the entity buying up the property would have its own plan. If it went back on the market now, URI would definitely buy it at the assessed price. (I don't have any idea what its "real" market value is.)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's just surprising because in the 2000 master plan they were talking about a public/private partnership surrounding the Emporium. Seems like the logical next step would be to take control of the property when you have the chance.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The emporium is a giant safety hazard with ducktape, as well as a potential goldmine if managed and maintained properly. Its bothered me since I stepped foot on campus for the first time. At least the dirt lot adjacent to it is paved. URI is on an upward swing, it's important to take care of that space.
1 x
GO RAMS
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago The emporium is a giant safety hazard with ducktape, as well as a potential goldmine if managed and maintained properly. Its bothered me since I stepped foot on campus for the first time. At least the dirt lot adjacent to it is paved. URI is on an upward swing, it's important to take care of that space.
It is a mystery, how you have the memorial union and quad and other areas of campus that are so pedestrian friendly with vehicles of secondary concern. Yet the Emporium is a straight up walking hazard. Why not shift the parking to one side instead of snaking through with drive aisles and connect the center island and eastern "L" into a courtyard type area. Would create a much better atmosphere.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago The emporium is a giant safety hazard with ducktape, as well as a potential goldmine if managed and maintained properly. Its bothered me since I stepped foot on campus for the first time. At least the dirt lot adjacent to it is paved. URI is on an upward swing, it's important to take care of that space.
It is a mystery, how you have the memorial union and quad and other areas of campus that are so pedestrian friendly with vehicles of secondary concern. Yet the Emporium is a straight up walking hazard. Why not shift the parking to one side instead of snaking through with drive aisles and connect the center island and eastern "L" into a courtyard type area. Would create a much better atmosphere.
I was over that way this afternoon, and I went into Bagelz for an iced coffee. Definitely going to miss that place when they close.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I was over that way this afternoon, and I went into Bagelz for an iced coffee. Definitely going to miss that place when they close.
You can also totally tell the age of an establishment by the "z" subbed for an "s" at the end of a name...oh yeah, that place definitely opened in the '90's.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

You can also totally tell the age of an establishment by the "z" subbed for an "s" at the end of a name...oh yeah, that place definitely opened in the '90's.
Haha! It's even embarrassing to type out with the Z, but damn those cinnamon sugar bagels were good back in the day.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Looks like renovations are underway at the Emporium near Subway. Not sure if this is interior, exterior, or both and not sure how extensive. Also it appears Bagelz is officially closed
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The Upper College Road development is still on the table:

URI Upper College Road Multi-Use Development – The Governor recommends $1.5 million from university funds for the planning and design of a mixed-use commercial development on the east side of Upper College Road. The project entails the leasing of University property to private entities that will
build and manage various facilities best suited to create a retail and residential “Main Street” destination, potentially including a hotel, apartments, restaurants, and shops. The projected disbursements are $422,560 in FY 2019 and $992,882 in FY 2020. Expenditures prior to FY 2019 total $114,558.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago The Upper College Road development is still on the table:

URI Upper College Road Multi-Use Development – The Governor recommends $1.5 million from university funds for the planning and design of a mixed-use commercial development on the east side of Upper College Road. The project entails the leasing of University property to private entities that will
build and manage various facilities best suited to create a retail and residential “Main Street” destination, potentially including a hotel, apartments, restaurants, and shops. The projected disbursements are $422,560 in FY 2019 and $992,882 in FY 2020. Expenditures prior to FY 2019 total $114,558.
This is what has been needed for some time. Hopefully it will eventually get done. Will make for a great entrance to the campus.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago The Upper College Road development is still on the table:

This is what has been needed for some time. Hopefully it will eventually get done. Will make for a great entrance to the campus.
I had heard a hotel is definitely going in at the corner of Upper College Rd. and Fortin Rd., extending to that parking lot across from what was the U Club. Much needed.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I had heard a hotel is definitely going in at the corner of Upper College Rd. and Fortin Rd., extending to that parking lot across from what was the U Club. Much needed.
The Emporium would definitely have to step up its game...
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago

The Emporium would definitely have to step up its game...

It’s embarrassing to look at and know it’s next to campus.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

My understanding is that next month this will be the first time that freshman will not be allowed to have cars on campus. Most campuses do not allow freshman OR sometimes sophomores to keep a car on campus. I’m wondering if this will increase the amount of freshman wanting to live Down the Line. That could be bad.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago My understanding is that next month this will be the first time that freshman will not be allowed to have cars on campus. Most campuses do not allow freshman OR sometimes sophomores to keep a car on campus. I’m wondering if this will increase the amount of freshman wanting to live Down the Line. That could be bad.
Why would that be bad?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago My understanding is that next month this will be the first time that freshman will not be allowed to have cars on campus. Most campuses do not allow freshman OR sometimes sophomores to keep a car on campus. I’m wondering if this will increase the amount of freshman wanting to live Down the Line. That could be bad.
Why would that be bad?
A bunch of 17/18 year olds living next to a family/elderly couple is not a good match for either parties. A 17 year old cant sign a lease but their parent certainly can. There’s so many academic rentals still available for next month. I don’t think that the student population should be pushed off campus since they can’t have a car to get to their jobs, etc.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If I recall when I was a freshman in 1970 only freshmen commuters could have cars. If you lived down the line you’re considered a commuter, aren’t you?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago If I recall when I was a freshman in 1970 only freshmen commuters could have cars. If you lived down the line you’re considered a commuter, aren’t you?
I would say so, and that's probly where I'd a-want be livin'!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Less cars on campus for students means they are likely to stay there more. This often leads to a much more vibrant student campus environment with far more activity. Also builds more bonds between students as they tend to spend more time with one another.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Less cars on campus for students means they are likely to stay there more. This often leads to a much more vibrant student campus environment with far more activity. Also builds more bonds between students as they tend to spend more time with one another.
Uber and Lyft are available pretty much 24/7 on campus. I imagine this part of the reason why URI doesn't feel the need to offer parking to freshmen - between ridesharing and the bus, you don't need to. If anything, limiting the amount of freshmen cars on campus will (hopefully) reduce drunken driving by them.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The sounds of summer on URI’s Kingston Campus are those of capital projects, large and small
$286 million in projects underway to enhance living, learning and research environments
July 11, 2019

https://today.uri.edu/news/the-sounds-o ... and-small/
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I wasn't aware freshman could park on campus. I remember not having a car here until I moved down the line Junior Year. Also, great to see so many upgrades at Kingston. Its looking like a true flagship university.
1 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Campus looks great. I really wish I could make myself 18 again and be moving into my dorm in a few weeks. This adult stuff is nauseating.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I feel like the entire Carothers Administration was a blunder. Good riddance.

Dooley is Down!
Dooley for Governor!
No but really he has done a fantastic job in my eyes.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There was no mention that I saw about the official grand opening of the new engineering building back on October 7th. Here is the URI press release:

URI celebrates opening of The Fascitelli Center for Advanced Engineering, Bliss Hall
$150 million project leads to highly advanced facility that fosters collaboration

https://today.uri.edu/news/uri-celebrat ... liss-hall/
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

One change in the Emporium is the pizza by the slice place has closed and Providence Bagels will be moving into that space
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago One change in the Emporium is the pizza by the slice place has closed and Providence Bagels will be moving into that space
Wow - You mean International? That place always seemed like an institution to me, although admittedly, I think their sandwich place is older, and I preferred Kingston Pizza to International. (Or even Ronzio's, if I just wanted super cheap pizza while working late night at the Cigar.)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago One change in the Emporium is the pizza by the slice place has closed and Providence Bagels will be moving into that space
Wow - You mean International? That place always seemed like an institution to me, although admittedly, I think their sandwich place is older, and I preferred Kingston Pizza to International. (Or even Ronzio's, if I just wanted super cheap pizza while working late night at the Cigar.)
Yes, International Slice. International Pockets remains
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Was on campus today. They put some large speed bumps out on Flagg road. No driving faster than 25 up and down that any more.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

...........one of the NY System places should open up in the Emporium, get the out-of-staters hooked and they become customers for life......no?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
Yes, International Slice. International Pockets remains
Oh thank god
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Two road construction projects are starting this week:

"Please be advised that road construction projects along Upper College Road and Fraternity Circle are due to begin this week. Both construction projects are expected to last into September and may cause temporary road closures or traffic delays.

The Fraternity Circle North project may cause temporary road closures or traffic delays along Quarry Road down to Keaney Road. Most of the work will be on the north side of the roadway.

The Upper College Road project will start with the removal of streetlights from Route 138 to the Fortin Road intersection later this week. This could result in lane closures. Flaggers and police will direct traffic during construction. As part of this project, Lot 3 (Tucker House Lot) will also be closed beginning next week. You may wish to consider taking alternate routes such as Old North Road or Lower College Road."

The Upper College Road project will see the .7 miles between Route 138 and Flagg Road converted into a complete street design. The travel lanes will be narrowed, there will be on-road bicycle lanes, wider sidewalks separated from the road by a narrow landscape buffer, lighting, and improved crosswalks
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Nice to see road/ROW improvements. Now we need to see a design for a legitimate entrance to a flagship university, to replace the gravestone at Upper College road.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Two road construction projects are starting this week:

"Please be advised that road construction projects along Upper College Road and Fraternity Circle are due to begin this week. Both construction projects are expected to last into September and may cause temporary road closures or traffic delays.

The Fraternity Circle North project may cause temporary road closures or traffic delays along Quarry Road down to Keaney Road. Most of the work will be on the north side of the roadway.

The Upper College Road project will start with the removal of streetlights from Route 138 to the Fortin Road intersection later this week. This could result in lane closures. Flaggers and police will direct traffic during construction. As part of this project, Lot 3 (Tucker House Lot) will also be closed beginning next week. You may wish to consider taking alternate routes such as Old North Road or Lower College Road."

The Upper College Road project will see the .7 miles between Route 138 and Flagg Road converted into a complete street design. The travel lanes will be narrowed, there will be on-road bicycle lanes, wider sidewalks separated from the road by a narrow landscape buffer, lighting, and improved crosswalks
Pages 74-76 from the 2018 transportation master plan should give you a good idea of what Upper College Road will look like when reconstruction is complete

https://web.uri.edu/planning/files/Tran ... h-2018.pdf
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Looks like there will be several new roundabouts coming to the campus.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I saw that too. Really unfortunate. They can call them roundabouts instead of rotarys if it makes them feel better, but they're still the same traffic pattern that people struggle with and lead to more accidents
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Nice to see road/ROW improvements. Now we need to see a design for a legitimate entrance to a flagship university, to replace the gravestone at Upper College road.
It appears that there have been talks about having that replaced, but I can't really decipher what they were talking about in the last master plan review team meeting with available minutes

https://web.uri.edu/planning/files/11.8 ... inutes.pdf

Do you have any examples of schools that have gotten their entrances right? I'd love to see some if so
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I'd think that URI would be limited by the fact that they only own the property on one side of Route 138, and IIRC, it's kind of dense at the two entrances on 138. Harder to put bigger structures there, like the archways that are popular with a lot of schools. I've always thought that they could do more with the southern entrance, though. The campus seems somewhat designed to be "entered" from the north entrance, even though most out of state visitors wouldn't be coming from that way.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Two road construction projects are starting this week:

Pages 74-76 from the 2018 transportation master plan should give you a good idea of what Upper College Road will look like when reconstruction is complete

https://web.uri.edu/planning/files/Tran ... h-2018.pdf
Thanks for providing this info RR2.

I have seen URI Maintenance Trucks on Upper College Trimming Trees the past week. Also National Grid has had trucks and workers on Upper College the past two weeks.

Traffic is light on campus as many students chose not to go to summer school (Covid) and it's summer anyway which is normally much lighter.

I love the plans for Upper College Road. I'm hoping that the large trees on the right side (Alumni Center side) are saved. The proposed grass space between the Bike Lanes and the Sidewalks is a nice touch as I view in the drawings. The elimination of parking on Upper College road is a smart idea. This enables the positioning of the two bicycle lanes without having to physically widening Upper College Road from Campus Road to 138 - it appears. Wide sidewalks are a wonderful idea as well. Not sure if there is enough space from Campus Road to Fortin Road to enable the 2 Bicycle lanes - but I love the Bicycle plans overall. More bike racks all around campus will be nice and will encourage more and more students, faculty, staff and visitors to ride bicycles to and from campus.

The overall plan to reduce automobile traffic on campus, have more off campus parking and shuttles, encourage more walking and bicycling is good to read.

The Bike Path is fantastic as one can bicycle from URI to the Train Station, Peace Dale, Wakefield and Narragansett. I've done the ride many, many times. Glad to see the University providing bicycle lanes on campus. The plans for Flagg Road look great.

The concept of automated transportation from Campus to the Kingston Train station is phenomenal - hope to see that become a reality one day.

There are multiple concepts provided in the appendix for Upper College Road and for Flagg Road so I am not sure which of the concepts was decided upon.

I have seen students posing for pictures at the entrance to URI from 138 to Upper College Road at the University of Rhode Island Entrance sign. This is a hilly section and can be distracting to drivers seeing the students posing by the sign. This is already one of the higher accident intersections of the University. It would be good to have a URI Monument/Sign for posing in a safer place, similar to the Ram at the Visitors Center where I see many pictures being taken.

Enjoyed reading the plans. Good stuff.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Here are a few from local schools. Theres even better options, but other state schools have better entrances then URI.
RWU.JPG
RIC.JPG
RIC 2.JPG
0 x
GO RAMS